Newspaper Page Text
A Good Catholic
a Well- Informed Catholic Vol. IV, No. 45 First English Language Mass to Be Offered in America on Labor Day 100.000 Expected To Attend Mass Climaxing Greek Rite Pilgrimage UNIONTOWN, Pa (NC) A Solemn Pontifical Mass Will be sung in English here on September 5. Labor Day, for what it is believed will be the first time in history. Celebrant of the Mass will be Auxiliary Bishop Fulton J. Sheen of New York, national director in the United States of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith. The Mass will climax the 21st an nual pilgrimage of members of the Pittsburgh Greek Rite diocese to the Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetu al Help at the Mount Saint Macrina Convent of the Sisters of St. Basil the Great. Special permission to sing the Mass in English was granted by the Sacred Congregation for the Oriental Church, in a decree dated July 14 and signed by His Emi nence Eugene Cardinal Tisserant, secretary of the congregation. Both the celebrant and the choir will sing the Mass in Eng lish, but according to tho Byzan- Work Begins On Convent In Zanesville The awarding of three con tracts this week paved the way for the construction of a new $160,000 convent in Zan esville. The home for the Sisters of St. Francis of Christian Charity who are assigned to St. Nicholas parish will be constructed by O. J. Paul of Zanesville. The Paul firm had submitted the low bid for the general contract. Contracts also were awarded to the Lawrence Electrical Co., and the Bohn and Kern Plumbing and Heating Co. both Zanesville firms. In announcing the contract awards, Father lanus Dury, pastor of St. Nicholas, said construction would begin immediately. The pro ject is expected to take a year. Designed by Columbus archi tects Emerick and McGee the "U" shaped building will con tain a chapel, two guest rooms, dining hall, kitchen, four com bination parlor and music rooms, and 30 small bedrooms and ba'hs. The structure, to be built on a hillside will vary from one to three stories, all three of which can be entered from the ground level. It will feature vinyl-asbestos tile floors, plastered walls, and a chapel with a marble altar. The chapel will have walls of exposed brick and wood paneling, and will have an acoustic ceiling. The convent will be built in the 000 block on E. Main St., adjac ent to the present home of the sis ters. The old convent, which was originally used as the St. Nich olas grade school, was built more than 85 years ago. It will be razed after the completion of the new building. Father Dury paid. The new building will be the home for 18 sisters who are on the teaching staffs of Rosecrans High School and St. Nicholas Grade School. Giant Market The tine rite and not the Latin rite. Only the consecration of the Mass and several ,doxoiogies will be given in the original Old Slavonic. Bishop Sheen is learning suffi cient Old Slavonic to be able to sing the doxologies and to pro nounce the consecration in that an cient language. The Bishop will al so wear oriental vestments and the traditional Byzantine crown. The Mass will be offered for the conversion of Russia. Bishop Sheen will also preach during the Mass. An estimated 100,000 pilgrims from western Pennsylvania and many other states are expected here on Labor Day, the final day of the pilgrimage which begins on Au gust 28. Bishop Nicholas T. Elko, Apostol ic Administrator of the Greek Rite Pittsburgh diocese, will pontificate at the Old Slavonic Mass. The Bish op will also preside at the English language Mass. It will be beamed behind the Iron Curtain by the Voice of Amer ica and Radio Free Europe. -----------------o----------------- Clergy Are Barred From Burial Rites Of Crash Victims TEL AVIV, Israel (Radio. NC) Catholic priests and Protestant ministers attended the mass burial here of the 58 victims of the Bulgarian plane crash, but they were not allow ed to officiate. Only, a Jewish service was per mitted to be performed over the unidentified remains of the vic tims. whose plane was shot down by Bulgarian fighter planes. Catholic authorities had re quested permission to participate in the burial ceremony, but fail ed to pet authorization from the Israeli government. However, when the bodies ar rived at the airport here after hav ing been flown in three planes from Sofia, the Bulgarian capital, via Istanbul, Father Louis Stellagi, parish priest of Jaffa and Tel Aviv, imparted a final absolution private ly. The rite had been arranged by the Franch embassy in Tel Aviv, and was conducted in the presence of government officials. Earlier. Osservatore Romano, Vatican City newspaper, had sharp ly criticized “suggestions” contain ed in reports from Israel that ti^e 58 victims of the Bulgarian plane crash be buried in a common grave without any religious ceremonies. Specific reason for Osservatore’s indignation was the suggestion to omit religious burial rites. Such a suggestion, it said, could only have come from one “who thinks tha't the absence of any com mon religion is equal to having no religion at all.” 21,084,222 Subscribe To 570 Catholic Papers NEW YORK (NC) Publishers of Catholic newspap ers and magazines stepped up the tempo of their campaign to secure more national advertising with an impressive collection of facts on the size and sales potential existing in the “Catho lic market” in the United States. The presentation, distributed to more than 6,250 selected advertisers and advertising agen cies. appears in the 1955-58 issue of the Catholic Press Directory, now released. The presentation dramatizes sev eral aspects of the Catholic market, which it terms the nation's “larg est specialized market.” The high er birth rate among Catholic fami lies is the pivot for several of thre illustrations in the presentation. The 1955-56 issue of the Cath olic Press Directory reports a record high of 21,084,222 sub scribers to 570 Catholic publica tions in the United States, an In crease of 13 oublications and 382,810 subscribers during the past year. Thirty-four Canadian publications report a circulation of 1,049,660. Using figures compiled by the Official Catholic Directory, the il lustrations show that the Catholic population is growing at a rate more than double that of the na tional population. The size of Cath olic families, conservatively esti mated to be a full one-person larg er than the national family aver age, is reflected in proportionately larger expenditures by Catholics in many consumer product lines, in cluding food, drugs, furnishings, clothing and other merchandise. Food advertisers are singled out in a presentation showing that the eating habits of Catholics are regu lated by Church law on 95 days of each year. It emphasizes that great er quantities of fruit, fruit juices, fish, spaghetti and other special foods are purchased by Catholics as a result. In another presentation, the huge size of the Catholic institutional market, estimated to be a “billion dollar annual market”, is portray ed. This is directed to organizations providing equipment, services and supplies to the thousands of Catho lic schools, churches, hospitals, or phanages and other institutions. Commenting on the facts disclos ed by the Press Directory. Charles J. McNeill, president of the Cath (Continued on Page 2) The new church will be con structed on top of a basement built in 1948, when the Glenmary Fathers from Glendale, O., admin istered the parish as a mission. C. A. Yeager and Co. of Ports mouth ha* been awarded the gen eral contract for th* project, Fa ther Graf said. Designed by Co lumbus architect A. F. Tynan, In his interpretation of the Supreme Court ruling, Monsig nor Ryan said "if a teacher in a public school or stat* university were to present argument* which could be construed as defending religion, he could be stopped by legal means but if a person were to teach atheism or make attacks on religion, there was no legal way to stop him." Monsignor Ryan called the ruling “something new in American law, and something which the people should carefully consider.” The “only solution” to the problem of The sum pledged thus far ex ceeds by $25,570 the minimum amount needed to begin construc tion of the 13-classroom school. The brick, concrete and stone building will be constructed on a 20-acre site at W. Church and Twenty-Third Sts. The over-all goal of th* cam paign is for a debt-free Catholic high school which will cost in excess of $700,000. Early re ports from th* Business and Friends Committee have been very encouraging, the two pas tors noted. Solicitations will con- tinue for several more weeks. The drive jumped off to an auspicious start with the advance contribution of $235,000 solicited by the Memorial Gifts Committee under the chairmanship of Philip Young and Arthur Wilson. Parish chairmen are Matthew Matesich of St. Francis de Sales parish and An ton Mathy of Blessed Sacrament parish. The two-story school of modern architecture will accommodate 450 students. COt,''M3US 10 OHIO lit Educator Asserts... Monsignor Ryan was one of three panelists who discussed re ligion in the public schools before some 100 teachers at a session of Miami University’s summer school here. The other panelists were Rev. B. Bruce Whittemore, execu tive secretary of the Council of Churches of Greater Cincinnati (Protestant) and Rabbi Sylvan D. Schwartzman, professor of Jewish religious education at Hebrew Un ion College, Cincinnati. Included in the plant will be a library, medical clinic, administra tion offices, chemistry and physics laboratory, home economics depart ment, commercial and business de partment, cafeteria, auditorium gymnasium and a chapel. The faculty for the co-education al school will be composed of Do minican Sisters from St. Mary of the Springs, Columbus, and lay teachers with specialized training in fine arts, household arts and physical education. St. Francis de Sales High School, Church to Be Erected in West1 Portsmouth Th* architect's drawing of th* new Our Lady of Sorrows church pictured above. Construction on th* project will begin next week, strutted by th* contractor, according to Father John Graf, pastor, will complete th* work in order to save money. Construction of a new stone church for the six-year-old Our Lady of Sorrows Parish in West Portsmouth will get un derway next week, Father John Graf, pastor, announced Friday. Columbus 16, Ohio, Friday, August 12,1955 th* church, which will seat 225 persons, will heve a multi-pur pose room, and will have con crete block wall* and cement floor*. It will be completed by next Easter. Since the parish was establish ed by Bishop Ready, Oct. 16, 1949, Mass has been offered in the base ment chapel. Eventually, the base ment will become an auditorium, and Mso will have three or four rooms suitable for social affairs. Only the bere essential* will be constructed by th* contractor, Father Graf said. The pastor and his parishioners will complete th* work in order to save money. McCollum Case Allows Attack On Religion But No Defense OXFORD, O. The U. S. Supreme Court decision in the McCollum case, which held it was unconstitutional to teach religion in public schools on public school time, “prevents public money from being used to defend religion, but not from attacking it,” Monsignor Carl J. Ryan, superintendent of schools in the Cincinnati archdiocese, declared here. religious education in publie schools “in a religiously pluralistic society” is for children to “have their religion taught them by a member of their faith as a part of the regular public school pro gram,” Monsignor Ryan said. But he immediately added that “this is not possible at the present time for two reasons the law won’t permit it, and neither will public opinion.” “But who can rule out the possi bility,”he went on, “that in anoth er 25 to 50 years both the law and public opinion may make such a program possible?” With that possibility in mind, the American people ought to “consid er seriously at least three ques tions which are at the heart of this problem,” Monsignor Ryan said. The three questions are: 1. “Can we maintain indefinitely our democratic society when the school system which educates al most 90 per cent of our youth is forbidden to teach the moral basis $425,570 Subscribed to Date For New Newark High School NEWARK Subscriptions to the Newark Catholic High School Building Fund Campaign have increased to $425,570, Fatner Edward McGinty and Father Richard Grosser, pastors of St. Francis de Sales and Blessed Sacrament parishes, an nounced this week. in operation for more than 30 years, has become too small to han dle the rapidly increasing stqdent enrollment. Assisting the parish chairmen in the drive are John R. Bringardner, Ray Hogan, Philip Young, Thomas Dolan, Gene Egan, James Winters, Earl Fatzinger, James King, Leo Lukasko and James Cullinan. I I- ■s,-== iolic Times. to be built in West Portsmouth is Only th* essential* will be con Father Graf and hit parishioners An example of this unique mon ey-saving plan is furnished by the parish’s 12-room rectory, to be oc cupied in about two weeks Father Graf and his parishioners com pletely rebuilt the home which stands adjacent to the church. Walls were re-plastered, plumb ing and heating renovated, and par titions were moved. The new rec tory has' three offices, four bed rooms, living room, dining room, kitchen, breakfast, utility room. It is estimated that this project, which cost the parish approximate ly $8500, would have approached $25,000 if done commercially, Fa ther Graf said. on which our democracy rests?” 2 “Does separation of church and state necessarily mean that we cannot have religion what you might call sectarian religion— taught in the public schools?” 3. “What are the full implica tions of the McCollum case?” “Un acceptable solutions,” according to Monsignor Ryan, are: 1. A program of moral and spir itual values based on purely human grounds, as proposed by the Educa tional Policies Commission of tho National Education Association. 2. Any attempt to present relig ion reduced to its lowest common denominator, so that it will be ac ceptable to all. 3. The attempt to teach about re ligion, but not to teach religion. “This would be to consider religion as another academic subject,” Mon signor Ryan said, “and as such it would not influence conduct, and could be used almost as effectively against religion as for it.” -----------------o---------------- Last Vocation Day To Take Place at Seminary Sunday The last of three summer “Voca tion Days” will be held this Sun day at St. Charles Seminary begin ning with registration at 2 p. m. The program is designed for graduates of diocesan high schools who have decided to enter the sem inary or who are in the process of making a decision on a religious vocation. Members of the seminary facul ty will conduct two conferences and answer any questions on sem inary life. N formal registration is necessary. The program will close at 5 p. m. following Benedic tion. A The stone superstructure of the Great National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washing ton, D. C., is rising skyward (right photo). The In making the announcement Bishop Ready said: "In th* name of th* whole Diocese I express to the PIME Father* the assur ance of fervent prayer* for con tinued progress in their wonder ful mission work. Generous ben efactors have enabled th* Dio cese to provide this magnificent sit* for th* missionaries' new Seminary and Novitiate. Certain ly the Society will prosper her* under God's favor and th* aid of its devoted friend* in the Unit ed States. I express a word of deep gratitude to Father Luigi Risso, the Superior General of 8 Girls Reach Milestones in Religious Life Two Columbus girls will take their perpetual vows as Sisters of St. Francis of Pen ance and Christian Charity, in ceremonies scheduled Aug. 18 in the mother house at Stella Niagara. N.Y. They are among eight Columbus girls who will reach important milestones in the religious life this month. The perpetual vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience will be pronounced by Sister M. Louis (Nancy Fahey), daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Fahey, and Sister M. Shiela (Jean Wilhelm), daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Mich ael Wilhelm. Both are graduate* of Holy Rosary High School, end both families ar* members of Holy Rosary Parish. In addition three novices from Columbus will take their tempor ary vows for one year in the same community. They are Sister M. Helena (Mary Doone) daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael Doone of Immaculate Conception Parish Sister Marie Therese (Victoria Dix on), daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Will iam Dixon of Holy Spirit Parish: and Sister Mary Brian (Regina Daugherty), daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Harry Daugherty of Holy Rosary Parish. Sister M. Hel ena and Sister Marie Therese are graduates of Sacred Heart High School, and Sister Mary Brian is a graduate of Holy Rosary High School. Meanwhile three Columbus girls receiver’ habits of the Sis ter* of the Holy Cross in recep tion ceremonies held at th* Or der's motherhouse in Notre Dame, Ind., Aug. 5. Bishop Leo A. Pursley. D.D., Apostolic Administrator of the Diocese of £ort Wayne, bestowed the habit on Sister Marie Daniel (Pamela Bush), a graduate of St. Joseph Academy and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Bush of St. Catharine parish Sister Mary James Lucia (Barbara McEneany) a graduate of Rosary High School and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James McEneany of St. John the Evangelist parish, and Sister Mary John Anne (Judith McAndrews), a graduate of St. Joseph Academy and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John McAndrews of St. Aloysius parish. A total of 44 young ladies re ceived the habit of the Order in the Solemn rites. 1920 National Shrine To Mary Immaculate 1955 o w cornerstone of the magnificent edifice was laid by the late Cardinal James Gibbons of Baltimore (left photo) on September 23, 1920, assisted by the late PIME Fathers to Build First Seminary in U. S. On Site Near Hebron One of the Church’s outstanding mission societies will build its first Seminary in America on a five hundred acre plot made available by the Diocese of Columbus near Hebron, Ohio. Bishop Ready announced the gift to the Missionaries of Saints Peter and Paul, famil iarly known throughout the mission world as the “PIME Fathers.” Hebron is 30 miles east of Columbus, in the heart of the rich farm land of Lacking County. (PIME is from the abbreviation of Pontificio Institute Mission! Es teri Pontifical Institute of For eign Missions.) the Fathers, for establishing in the Diocese of Columbus the first Seminary of th* Society in th* United States." The Missionaries of Saints Peter and Paul, according to the Rever end Nicholas Maestrini. Provincial Superior, will begin the work of establishing the new Seminary and Novitiate for aspirants to the Priesthood and Brotherhood, on the Feast of the Assumption. Present plans call for a complete Seminary building with a chapel and other facilities to accommodate a hun dred, including faculty members. After a recent survey by the archi tect employed to plan the build ings Father Maestrini said the Chapel would stand in the wooded area on the gently rising promon tory overlooking the rolling farm acres The Reverend Charles Sala, I.M.E.. presently Pastor of Saint John the Baptist’s Church Colum bus. has been assigned as the rep resentative of the Society to organ ize the new building project. He will be assisted by two priests and two brothers of the Society The property presently has several com modious farm houses and other buildings which will be used until the new Seminary is ready Th* Missionaries of Saints Pe Sister Mary’ Colette will pro nounce the vows of poverty, chast ity and obedience in ceremonies scheduled at 10 a. m. in Villa Maria, the community's mother house in Erie. Pa. Sister Colette, the first candi date for the proposed Columbus foundation, is th* former Mary Margaret Van Hoose of St. Mary Magdalene parish. She is a graduate of Holy Family High School. Her parents. Mr and Mrs Claude Van Hoose of 647 S. Roys Ave., and Father Raymond Baus chard, pastor of St. Mary Magda lene Church, will attend the cere monies. Afterward. Sister Colette will return for a week s visit at the home of her parents. Her first assignment will be as director of a kindergarten, operated by the Sisters of St. Joseph in Erie, Pa. Next August, two mor* candi dates from Columbus will take their first vows. They er* Mis* Eloise Graham, a graduate of Sacred Heart School, the daugh ter of Mrs. Mary Graham of Cleveland,and Miss Betty Stamm, a graduate of Rosary High School, daughter of Mrs. Alfred Byer* of Cathedral parish. Mi** Graham has chosen th* religious name. Sister Mary Estelle Miss Stamm has chosen the name, Sister Mary Justin. The three sisters from Colum bus, in addition to several other members of the community, will come to Columbus next fall to establish the motherhouse. They will come at the invitation of Bishop Ready, who three years ago asked that the community establish a foundation in the Co lumbus Diocese. Most Powerful Weapon In Battle for Peace Is Prayer Price Ton Cents $3.00 A Year ter and Paul have had a remark able growth since th* society's foundation in Milan, Italy, in 1850. Two year* later another house of th* Society we* form ed in Rome, answering th* ap peal of Pop* Pius IX who wished Italy Io ba continually blessed by sending new recruits to the far flung mission enterprise* of th* Church. Less than two years after its be ginning, PIME Missionaries went out to the Solomon Islands Three years later the Society recorded its first martyr in the heroic death of Father John Mazzuconi. The new mission society flourish ed. In the century of its existence it founded missions in’India, Afri ca. China, Japan, equatorial Brazil and the South Sea Islands. Among its 515 Priests it numbers 17 Bish ops various parts of the world. One of these Bishops, the Most Reverend Lawrence Bianchi, re cently visited Columbus. After two years of imprisonment in China he returned to his important See of Hong Kong to take up the work of aiding refugees and the persecuted of the Red regime. There are presently 80 professed Brothers and 600 Seminarians in (Continued on Page 2) Columbus Girl Professes Vows As Sister of St. Joseph in Erie The establishment of a Motherhouse in the Columbus Diocese for the Sisters of St. Joseph will move a step closer tn fulfillment .Wednesday, when a Columbus girl takes her first vows as a member of that community. The Sisters of St. Joseph, who have foundations in 21 archdio ceses of the United States, were founded at Lepuy, France, Oct. 15. 1650. They came to the United States in 1836. Th* community taught at Holy Family end St. Dominic School* in Columbus from 1877 to 1914, but mounting duties in Mt. Gall itzin, Baden, Pa., forced them to give up their work her*. In 1953, however, three Sister* from th* order returned to th* dioce** and er* now teaching at St. Joseph's, Circleville. The motherhouses of the Sisters of St. Joseph are limited to a diocese, each representing an in dependent foundation under the bishop of that jurisdiction. Thus, when a young woman en ters the convent of the proposed Columbus foundation, she will re main within the Columbus Dio cese to perform her apostolie work. This work can be in a number of fields. The Sisters of St. Joseph teach in parish schools, conduct a missionary program for Catholic youth in rural areas or in public schools, assist in diocesan charity bureaus, operate homes for chil dren, day nurseries, training schools for boys, homes for the aged, and houses for convales cents. The order is interested in con sidering additional applications from young women who desire to return to this diocese as teachers, nurses, or social workers. Infor mation may be secured by writing to Mother Superior, Sisters of St. Joseph. Villa Maria. Erie, Pa. Cardinal William O'Connell of Boston. Center photo shows artist's conception of the shrine. (NC Photos).