Newspaper Page Text
W» Wort Overlooked In A
Recent Progress Report By A Civic Group. Reed "We Also Educate", On Page Four This Wook. Vol. V, No. 47 Annual Teachers Meeting Opens Next Wednesday More Than 600 Will Attend Solemn Mass, 2-Day Session More than 600 teachers including 134 lay teachers will attend the Solemn Mass at 9 a.m., Wednesday, August 29. in St. Joseph Cathedral, which opens the fifty-fourth annual principals and teachers mcetiig at St. Mary of the Springs. Bishop Ready will preside at the Mass opening the two-day Sessions. Monsignor Anthony Schlernitzauer, pastor of St. Pe ter’s parish, will be 'celebrant, Father William Maloney, pastor ef St. Aloysius, Deacon, and Fa ther Bennett Applegate, superin tendent of schools, sub-deacon. Others participating in the Fr. Carroll Mass will be: Monsignors Paul O’Dea. dean of studies, Charles, and George Gressel, pas tor of Holy Family parish, will be Deacons of Honor. Father George Schorr will be Master of Ceremonies and Father Ambrose Freund, pastor of Sa cred Heart parish, New Philadel phia, will act as assistant priest. Father James Carroll, vice chancellor, will give the sermon, which will follow the theme of meeting, “And they shall all be taught by God." (Isaias, 54:13). The two-day session at the Springs will include the showing ef more than 74 exhibits and sev- W||S ‘U* i ^SEyfSIl mmk' The sisters and children of St. Vin cent7! orphange moved into their new home last Wednesday. The new dormitory which face* Kelton Avenue will house the 80 residents now at the orphange accord ing to Msgr. William Kappes, Diocesan di the Chil Last Wednesday dren at St. Vincent’s Orphan age began vacating the ven erable old buildings and oc cupying the north wing of the new children’s home. Fronting on Kelton Avenue, the new buildings will house the eighty children now at Saint Vincent’s until the second half of the construction td. ean be complet- completed wing units, each of The presently consists of six which has a capacity of 16 chil dren. Each unit contains a large living room, a dining room and kitchenette on the first floor: five bedrooms, lavatory and a room for the housemother en the sec end floor and a utttrty, storage Mr. Wood then welcome the teachers to the annual meeting. School Health Program St. One of the outstanding features of the meeting will be the Wed nesday afternoon general session on the School Health program. Four members of the Columbus Health Nursing Service Staff, Miss Mabie Grover, director Mrs. Emi T. Oga, supervisor, Mrs. Mar jorie Hoffman, staff nurse, and Miss Lois Brooker, associate di rector, will participate in a pan el. Audio-Visual Workshop Another important feature (Continued on Page 3) That’ll be Our Room Old St. Vincent’s Is Vacated Razing Will Begin Immediately and rumpus room in the base ment. Designed to care for children from the age of two years through 16 years, the new Saint Vincent's combines the home like atmosphere and group separa tion of the cottage system with the economies of construction and administration possible only in a single building. The design was reached after extended study by Bishop Ready and his advisors, of modern trends in child care and the needs of the Diocese of Columbus. Mr. Louis Karlesberger is archi tect of the building and the Alt man-Coady Company is the gen eral contractor. Total cost is estimated at $851,- Camp Night Sei For Jcls-Kings Battle Monday The annuel Camp Night et Jet Stadium will be held this Monday. All proceed* go to Camp St. Joseph and Camp St. Rita for expansion purposes. Columbus will play th* Ha vana Sugar King* in a regular ly scheduled contest. Tickets can be purchased from any member of th* Knight* of Co lumbus or at th* gate Monday evening. lhe all eral workshops consisting of latest teaching methods in basic subjects. Opening Session Father Edward McGinty, pastor of St. Francis de Sales parish. Newark, will give the invocation for the opening session, Wednes day at 11 a.m. Fr. Applegate will The education plank says "every American child, irrespec tive of race or national origin, economic status or place of res idence, has full right under the law and the Constitution without discrimination, to every educa- of 1 Democrats Plank By Burk* Welsh (Staff Writer, N.C.W.C. N*ws Service) CHICAGO Legislation providing health and welfare services “for all school children’’ is advocated in the plat form on which the Democratic Party will stand before the electorate in November. This is the first time that a major party has spelled out insistence that public funds should be used to give health ex aminations, free bus transporta tion and the like to children re gardless of whether they attend a public, private or parochial school. The stand is taken in a plan nn “general welfare.” which reads in part as follows: “We pledge the Democratic Party to the following: “(1) Legislation providing Fed eral financing to assist states and local o u n i ties to huild schools, and to provide essential health and safety services for all school children “(2) Better educational, health and welfare opportunities for children of migratory workers “(3) Assistance to programs for training teachers of exceptional children “(4) Programs providing for the training of teachers to meet lhe critical shortage in technical and scientific fields “(5) Expansion of the program of student, teacher and cultural exchange with other nations.” Of rector of charities. The modern brick structure is the first unit of the building program which will eventually see all the 80-year-old buildings torn down and re placed with the new better equipped struc tures. 000, part of which was raised by the Development Fund Campaign in 1954 and part was secured by gifts from the parishes of the Di ocese outside of Franklin Coun ty. Ground was broken for the buildings July 13, 1955, and the total project is to be finished during 1957. Bright colors have been used in all rooms with wall colors, drapes, furniture and floor tile combined in harmony. The central and south wings will be started as soon as th* old buildings have been razed, which will begin immediately, and will house the administra-' tive and business offices, the central kitchen and dining (Continued on Page 3) The holic Times Columbus 16, Ohio, Friday, August 24,1956 Labor Day Mass At Cathedral The 12th Annual Labor Day Mass will be held Sept. 3, 10 a.m., in St. Joseph Cathedral Bishop Ready will preside at the Mass. Monsignor George Higgins, direc tor of the Social Action Depart ment of the National Catholic Welfare Conference, who has a weekly column in the Catholic Times, will he the speaker for the annual Mass. All workingmen are urged tn attend the annual Mass and ser mon. Urges Health Services For All Children tional opportunity to develop his potentialities.” It adds that state and local re sources are already "strained to the limit,” amUsays that "Fed eral aid and action should be pro vided.” It stipulates, however, that this aid should be within the traditional framework of state and local control.” In it* agricultural plank, th* Democratic Party urges "a continuing expanded school lunch and special milk program to meet th* dietary all school ehildr*n." This last provision would con tinue the program under which charitable agencies, including Cath^ic Relief Services Nation al ('Cholic Welfare Conference, have distributed large quantities of surplus United States food and textiles to aid needy people in many parts of the world. The pro gram has been warmly and wide ly applauded for its efficiency and economy. Th* foreign policy plank ha* an early sentence that is rem iniscent of both St. Augustin* and of St. Thomas Aquinas. It (Continued on Page 2) 3 Diocesan Women Make Final Vows Three women from the Colum bus Diocese made their perpetual vows as Franciscan Sisters in ceremonies on August 12 at the chapel of Our Lady of Lourdes, Rochester, Minnesota. Bishop Edward A. Fitzgerald, D.D., Bishop of Winona, celebrat ed the Mass, officiated at the ceremonies, and preached the sermon on the occasion of recep tion and profession. Mother M. Alcuin McCarthy, General Super ior of the Rochester Franciscans, invested the postulants in the re ligious habit. Those from the diocese were Sister M. Rosemary, the former Ellen Patricia Griffin, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick J. Grif fin, 161 Edison Ave., Circleville Sister M. Sarto, the former June Kaiser, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Louis F. Kaiser, 218 S. Roosevelt Ave., Columbus and Sister M. Madonna, the former Mary Eileen Tannian, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James K. Tannian, 1833 Vin ton Ave., Portsmouth. Sister Sarto, a graduate of Rosary high school and a member of St. Catharine parish, will be a member of the staff of Lourdes high school, Rochester, Minne sota. Sister Rosemary, a graduate of St. Mary of the Springs Acad emy and a former member of St. Joseph parish, Circleville, will teach this year at St. Priscilla school, Chicago. Sister Rosemary's brother, Father Patrick Griffin, is administrator of Our Lady of Sor rows parish, Lockbourne, while three sisters are also in the re ligious life. They are Sisters El len Patricia, O.P., and Patrick Marie, O.P., of St. Mary of the Springs, and Sister M. Rose of The Franciscan Sisters, Roches ter, Minnesota. Sister Madonna was graduated from Notre Dame high school, Portsmouth, and was a member of Holy Redeemer parish in that city. She will teach at Holy Re deemer grade school this coming year. Sister Madonna has a sis ter, Sister M, Toma, also a mem ber of the Franciscan community of sisters. My dear Brethren: need* of the party the dis- In the same plank, promises to “increase trihution of food* to public insti tutions and organizations and qualified private charitable agen cies.’’ and to “increase the dis tribution of food and fiber to needy people in other nations through recognized charitable and religious channels.” It is a special joy to announce the foundation ef a new religious Community in th* Diocese of Columbus. August 27th five Sister* of Saint Joseph will begin the holy work of found ing a Motherhouse of the Order at Villa Madonna, th* erst while "White House," on Meadow Park Avenue adjacent to the campus of Saint Charles Seminary, Columbus. The coming of the Sister* of Saint Joseph to begin this work is the reward of many years of prayer, planning, and effort. W* return our fervent thank* to God for so singularly blessing th* Diocese and w* petition Him, through the powerful in tercession of Saint Joseph, that the foundation may prosper and take its piece among th* blessed institution* of the Diocese. In the past recent years several young ladies from parishes of the Diocese of Columbus expressed their desire to enter th* religious life in order to serve the apostolic works of this Diocese. We do not have in this jurisdiction, beside* the clois tered communities in Columbus and Portsmouth, any commun ity of Sisters dedicated exclusively to Diocesan service. Accord ingly, with the kind and fatherly interest of the illustrious Bishop of Erie, Archbishop Gannon, arrangements were made to entrust the postulants from Columbus to th* Sister* of Saint Joseph in that city. The young ladies persevered in their relig ious desire and were received as professed Sister* for th*‘pro pose^ foundation in Columbus. At th* completion of their relig ious training they were prepared for the teaching apostolat*. They now return home to establish what was first dreamed about—a Motherhouse for th* Sisters of Saint Joseph In Co lumbus. They will be accompanied by two senior Sister* from the Erie Motherhouse who for a time will aid and supervise the foundation. We are deeply grateful to Mother Aloys* and the Domin ican Sisters of Saint Mary of th* Spring* who gladly offered to help the new Community by providing further teaching ex perience for them at Holy Spirit School, Columbus. That is th* story in simple terms of what we pray will in future year a magnificent endowment for th* Diocese Columbus. No one can foretell th* influence of th* Sisters Saint Joseph in the fields of religion, education and welfare among our people. Wherever the Sister* of Saint Joseph have been established they have merited by their sanctity and zeal the abundant blessings of th* Lord on their multiple activity in the care of youth, the sick, the aged and the orphans. They stand a* ready volunteers to help th* Bishop and Clergy of the Diocese in fulfilling their sacred trust of building up and caring for the Church in th* portion of the Kingdom of God committed to their charge. In behalf of our Priest* and Faithful we welcome them with grateful hearts. Certainly we bespeak for the Sister* of Saint Joseph of th* Columbus Foundation the affection and support of the faithful of th* Diocese. The Sister* of the various congregations, who have so long and so faithfully engaged in Christ's work her* will rocognize the pioneer courage and many needs of th* little band of Jose phites who come hopefully to serve with them in the glorious tasks of Holy Mother Church. We trust in their well known charity towards the Sisters and their constant helpfulness in making the beginnings pleasant if not easy. The rest is in th* hands of God who is never, wanting in His grace. We beseech the support of all towards the success of this great venture for th* honor and glory of God. We recog nize th* sacrifice and kindness of Mother Aurelia and th* Sisters of Saint Joseph of Erie toward* th* Church of Columbus. They shall be forever remembered a* generous benefactors of the Diocese, and we pray that they will rejoice in the holy lives and good works of their Sisters her*. May Jesus, Mary and Joseph watch constantly over th* work which is here begun in love to them. Devotedly in Christ At 57 Ill for 5 Years LONDON (NC) His Eminence Bernard Cardinal Griffin, Archbishop of Westminster, died (Aug. 20) of a heart attack at New Polzeath, Cornwall, where he had gone for a rest. The prelate, 57, had been in poor health since a severe heart attack in 1951. He had suf fered additional seizures last Ndvember and last month. His death reduces the number of cardinals to 61, nine below the traditional maximum of 70. Cardinal Griffin's body was to be returned to London. The fu neral Mass and burial will be in Westminster Cathedral of the Most Precious Blood here. In spite of his poor health, Cardinal Griffin fulfilled as many LONDON—Bernard Cardin al Griffin, had urged rhe clergy and faithful of England and Wale* "to pray earnestly that divine guidance be given those taking part in the London con ference," on the Suex Canal, before his death. engagements as possible. In June of this year he went to France for the reopening of Rouen Ca thedral and the ceremonies com memorating the 500th anniver sary of the vindication of St. Joan of Arc. He went to Cornwall early in August for a month's convales cence. Cardinal Griffin was born on February 21, 1899, in Birming ham. His father was a merchant and city councillor. He was edu cated at King Edward’s grammar school in Birmingham and Cotton College, Staffordships. During ]St. Joseph Nuns Establish Motherhouse Here Aug. 27 be of MICHAEL J. READY Bishop of Columbus Cardinal Griffin Dies World War he served as a me chanic with the Roval Air Force. Following the war he entered St. Mary's Seminary, Oscott, to study for the priesthood. He achieved a fine record as a schol ar and was assigned by his super ior, the late Archbishop Ilsley of Birmingham, to study at the English College in Rome. He was ordained in the Eternal City on November 1, 1924. He continued his studies at the English College until 1926 and studied at the Beda College in Rome in 1926-1927. In Rome he had earned the degrees of Doc tor of Divinity and Doctor of Can on Law. One of his professors of canon law was His Excellency Archbishop Amleto Giovanni Ci cognani, now Apostolic Delegate to the United States. From 1927 to 1929 Father Griff in served as secretary to the late Archbishops McIntyre and Will iams at Birmingham. In 1929 he was named chancellor of the Birmingham archdiocese and in 1938 was named titular Bishop of Abya and auxiliary to Arch bishop Williams. He was conse crated on June 30, 1938. His Holiness Pojfe Pius XU appointed him sixth Archbishop of Westminster on December 18, 1943, succeeding the late Cardin al Hinsley. At the time of his appointment he was noted pri (Continued on Page 2) As dictated by the religious rule of the Sisters nf St Joseph, the work of the Order is to he that of charity and zeal tn an swer the needs of the Bishnp nf the Diocese in which the sisters are residing. Divers* Fields In the Erie Diocese that need, during nearly a century ice, has channeled the charity and zeal nf the sisters verse fields, including teaching, nursing, and social work Current Movies Are Rated On Page 10 This Week Price Ton Cents $3.00 A Year Three Local Women Among First Arrivals Five sisters of St. -Joseph including three junior pro fessed, former Columbus women will arrive August 27 from their present .Motherhouse Erie Pennsylvania, tn open an independent Motherhouse The congregation established its motherhouse here at the re quest of Bishop Ready and with the permission of Bishop Mark Gannon of Erie. Sister Rnsana. assistant su perior of the Erie Congregation, will be the first superior of the Columbus foundation. Coming with Sister Rosaria are Sister M. Corona of the Erie establishment and three Columbus natives. Sis ter M. Colette (formerly Mary Margaret Van Hoose) who has been professed for a year, Sister Mary .Tustin (Elizabeth Stamm) and Sister Estelle (Eloise Gra ham). both nf whom made their first profession August 15. Feast of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin. in this Diocese. of serv- into di that of catechetical In the social field, the nuns staff a children s home, a train ing school for boys, a home for the aged and infirm and a day nursery. The Sisters of St. Joseph were formed in LePuy France, in 1648 According to their found ers, Bishop Henry de Maupas and Fr. J. Peter Medaille, SJ., such an institute was horn of an idea of St. Francis de Sales, patron of the Columbus Diocese and of the Catholic press, to establish a congregation of women that would unite the work of Mary and Martha—the activity of Mar tha and the contemplation of Mary. the the Will Teach at Holy Spirit The initial work of the sister® will be teaching at Holy Spirit school where they will assist the Dominican nuns who have main tained the school since its open ing. The future work of the com munity of sisters will depend on the Congregation's growth as well as the needs nf the Bishop. According to the superior, girls of the Columbus Diocese interest ed in the work nf this founda tion are welcome to call at Villa Madonna at any time. a congregation was unique time, when all rehgioua for women were cloister- Such at the houses ed ones where the sisters follow ed a contemplative rule of life. From its beginning, the work of the Order has been subject to the needs of the time and the particular environment in which they are established. be The new foundation will established at Villa Madonna, for merly known as the “White House.” 105 Meadow Park Ave., adjacent to St. Charles Seminary In 1648. the risters answered (Continued on Page 2) Pray for Peace Drive is Opened In Cleveland CLEVELAND (NO—Vincent Goldstein, a convert from Jud aism to Catholicism who is direc tor for England and Scotland of the Blue Army nf Our Lady of Fatima, has arrived here for the launching campaign Russia. Our Lady of Victory Bishop Ready, assisted by Fr. Arnold Favret lays the cornerstone for the newly renovated and enlarged Our Lady of Victory Church on Roxbury Rd. The 33-year old edifice, at completion of the work will have an enlarged sacristy, a new baptisry, side altar, two soundproof con* fessionals and wider side and middle aisles. In the Church proper, the floors will be of asphalt tile. In the sanctuary the floors are of terana tile. In stallation of the new pews bring the seating capacity to 325. Father Favret, pastor of Our Lady of Victory, says the outward appearance of the overall building will change very little, although a tower also is added in the new con struction. The matching native limestone is used in the outside and the stone arch trim of the old structure is duplicated in the new building. The addition was designed by George E. McDonald, who also designed the original building. of a "prayer for peace” for the conversion of conduct the nrganiza- He will tmn's promotion program, using Cleveland as a “trial center If the paid advertising venture is a success, similar projects will he undertaken by the group in other cities, it was announced. Goldstein and his brother, Walter, were confirmed in Fa tima in 1951 by Auxiliary Bis hop Fulton J. Sheen of New York He is a native of Scotland and one of seven children of Orthodox Jewish parents White in this country he will make h,s headquarters at the national office of the Blue Army at Wash ington, N. J.