Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Ohio History Connection, Columbus, OH
Newspaper Page Text
Coat Of Arms On the occasion of his appointment to the See of Colum bus, Bishop Ready chose a coat of arms that embodied the arms of the Diocese as welt as his own The arms of the Diocese were new in design. On a field of blue there is emblazoned a sil ver (white) sailing vessel in mo tion having a cross at the top of the mast and the letter in red on its sail At the base is the heraldic sym bol of water. The meaning is simple. The boat's sail bears the initial of the holy name of Mary in di cat ing the name of the principal ship of the fleet of Columbus the Santa Maria The cross at the top of the mist is a reminder of our Calho lie Faith, the Faith of Columbus. The three colors in this shield, red while and blue are of course those of our country and are a reminder of its debt to the great discoverer. The personal arms of His Ex cellency were those of the Ready family. On a blue field three single wings in erect fashion are displayed in silver, two over one. Between the two is displayed a silver roundel having on it a red cross, an adaptation of the symbol of faith and service used by the National Catholic Welfare with which the Bishop was so long as sociated. In the Bishop’s personal coat of •rms there are likewise but three Colors, red. white and blue, indi cating the national character of his work with NCWC. As his motto, found in the scroll at the base of the escutcheon are the words, “Quae Sunt Dei Deo"—to God the things that are God’s (Matt XXH, 21). The heraldic description of these arms is^-is follows: Two coats im paled The dexter half (observer’s left azure (blue) thereon a sailing vessel argent (silver) at top of mast a cross of the same and on its sail an gules red) and at the base a barry wave of six argent and azure, the sinister half (ob server’s right) azure with three wings erect two over one argent and between the two in chief a rounded urgent with a cross gules superimposed. New Elrntenlary Schools From 1945-1957 Christ the King—1947 Holy Spirit—1952 St. Agnes—1955 St. Christopher—1948 St. Gabriel —1953 St. lames the l*ss—1949 St Andrews—1956 St. Michael’s—1954 Our Ijidy of Peace—1952 Holy Name—1954 St. Mary’s School—1955 St. Catharine—1950 First, Last Ordination Classes Fathers B. Jones, B«nn«tt Applegate, Elmer Boyden •nd C. Jones, top photo, wore in Bishop Ready's first ordin ation class, Feb. 24, 1945. Below front row, Fathers Thomas G. Bender, John Fulcher, Thomas Cadden, Charles R. Grif fin, Samuel Durbin and Richard Engle, second row, Fathers Thomas L. McLaughlin, James R. Haag, Robert Shalosky, Raymond A. Goode, Eugene Yoris and Patrick Sorohan, were in the 1955 class, the last ordination performed by Bishop Ready. Taj Impressive Last Rites For Bishops The obsequies for a Bishop are minutely described in the official liturgical book for Episcopal ceremonies, the cer moniale Episcoporum. Every detail is prescribed in this book of rubrical directions which was first issued by Pope Clement VIH in the year 1600, and finally revised to its present form by Pope I*o XIII in 1882. IN ROBES OF STATE The deceased prelate is vested in full pontificals. Over the choir dress—violet cassock, mantelletta, and linen rochet, the vestments used in a Solemn Pontifical Mass are worn amice, alb, cincture, stole, pectoral cross, tunic, dalma tic, and chasuble of violet color. The Bishop’s ceremonial gloves ire placed on his hands and on his finger the Episcopal ring which was bestowed at the time of his consecration. Upon his head rs placed a linen miter. OFFICE OF DEAD While the body rests in the Bishop’s residence, the Office of the Dead is chanted by groups of the clergy appointed for this purpose. For the transference of the body to the Cathedral church the clergy assemble in the Bishop’s home. The highest ranking of the dioce san priests presides at this cere mony, blessing the corpse and in toning the psalms that are chant ed by the priests in the procession to the church. The bells of the Cathedral and those of all the rhurches of the city are tolled. Priests act as pall bearers. In the Cathedral the body is placed on a bier at the entrance to the sanctuary and lies in state until the funeral Mass. The Requiem Mass for a Bishop is given in the Roman Missal with prayers proper for a prelate. This Mass celebrated by a Bishop follows the rubrics ol a Solemn Pontifical Mass. RARE CEREMONY There is a particular solemnity to the find absolution that fol lows the Funeral Mass. Five Bish ops participate in this ceremony. This live fold absolution is rarely witnessed, being reserved for de ceased Popes, Cardinals, Metropoll tans, and Bishops who presided over a given diocese. In the case of Catholic sover eigns, this unusual ceremony is permitted The Bishops who take part in this ritual are vested in black copes and linen miters The Bishop celebrant of the Funeral Mass presides over this last bless ing of the body, made particularly impressive by chant, sprinkling of the corpse with holy water, and incensing Each of the four assisting Bish ops. stationed at eaih corner of the catafalque, repeats the abso lution and blessing in turn. Charity (Continued from Page 7) a corrective reading teacher and other professional personnel. St. Vincent De Paul In 1956 under the Bishop's di rection the St. Vincent de Paul So ciety was reactivated in the Dio cese and Fr. laiwrence Corcoran, assistant charities director, was named to moderate the worthy lay organization. More than 40 conferences of the Society have been formed or reac tivated. The Vincentians offer ma terial and spiritual help to people living in their own homes and in institutions. They sponsored pa rolees from the stale prisons and provided job opportunities, finan cial help and personal services During the recent Hungarian re volt they helped th* Diocese in placing mote than 49 refugees Ct dy aseduL'd with the St Vincent de Paul Society was the THE CATHOLIC TIMES Friday, May 3, 1957 f'' a'**' W ft I Bishop Hettinger Columbus Auxiliary Bishop and Titular Bishop of Teos, Edward G. Hettinger was ordained a priest of the Columbus Diocese on June 2, 1928 and appointed a domestic prelate by Pope Pius in September, 1938. He was named Auxiliery Bishop of Columbus by Pope Pius XII on Doc. 2, 1941. Upon Bishop Hartley's death he was named administretor of the Diocese, a position he was given again Friday. Five Ordinaries Have Served Here The following Bishops have served the Diocese of Co lumbus during its eighty-nine year history. Most Rev. S. H. Rosecrans, D.D., consecrated titular Bishop of Pompeiopolis and Auxiliary Bishop of Cincinnati in St. Peter’s Cathedral, Cincin nati, on March 25, 1862. was transferred to Columbus March 3, 1868. when the Diocese was established. Bishop Rosecrans died Oct. 21. 1878 Most Rev. John Ambrose Wat terson, D.D., consecrated Bish op of Columbus in St. Jos eph’s Cathedral, Columbus, on Aug 8, 1880. Bishop Watterson died April 17, 1899 Most Rev. Henry Moeller, D.D., consecrated Bishop of Columbus in St Peter’s Cathedral, Cincin nati. on Aug. 25, 1900 He was promoted to the Archepiscopal see of Areopolis and made Co St. Vincent de Paul -.hop. This agency had been established in 1936 to collect usable clothing and furniture for distribution and sate to distressed families. The shop has helped more than 500 families since 1945. Since 1945 the Diocese has con tributed to the annual Bishop Re lief campaigns Duiing Thanksgiv ing Week each year usable cloth ing is collected and sent overseas. The amount of clothing has in creased steadily each year and this year more than 110,000 pounds of clothing were collected, with most of it' being dispatched to the Hun garian refugees in Austria. Following the second World War the Diocesan Resettlement commit tee founded by Bishop Ready pro vided homes and job assurances for more than 400 displaced per sons and refugees from Europe. Later last year after the Hungari an massacre through benevolence of the Bishop more than 40 Hun garian freedom fighters were set tled here. The Welfare Bureau under the guidance of the Bishop set new marks yearly for help and guid ance of the underprivileged and I misled. adjutor to the Archbishop of Cincinnati, with the right of suc cession, on April 27, 1903. He succeeded to the see of Cincin nati Oct. 31, 1904. Bishop Moel ler died Jan. 5, 1925. Most Rev. James J. Hartley, D.D., consecrated Bishop of Co lumbus Tn Holy Name church, Steubenville, on Feb, 25, 1904,. Bishop Hartley died January 12, 1944 Most Rev. Michael J. Ready, D.D., consecrated Dec. 14, 1944, in St. Matthew's Cathedral, Wash ington. and installed Bishop of Columbus in St. Joseph’s Cathed ral on January 4, 1945. Bishop Ready died May 2, 1957. Most Rev. Edward G. Hettin ger, D.D., consecrated Titular Bishop of Teo# and Auxiliary Bishop of Columbus in St. Jos eph’s Cathedral, Columbus, on Feb. 24. 1942, served as Admin istrator of the Diocese of Co lumbus from the time of Bishop Hartley's death until Bishop Ready's installation. He has agaiA been named Administrator. Bish op Hettinger is also pastor of Sacred Heart parish. Columbus. Mission (Continued from Page 7) Christ in mission areas was the welcoming of the Missionaries of Saints Peter and Paul to the Dio cese to build their first mission seminary in the United Slates at Hebron, Ohio. His Excellency was to have participated in the dedica tion there Sunday. May 12. Bishop Ready’s constant zealous concern for the Kingdom of Christ in every part of the world has earned the esteem and gratitude of all the missionaries.