The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Shreveport semi-weekly news.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Shreveport semi-weekly news. [volume] : (Shreveport, La.) 1865-18??
Alternative Titles:
  • Semi-weekly Shreveport news
Place of publication:
Shreveport, La.
Geographic coverage:
  • Shreveport, Caddo, Louisiana  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Jno. Dickinson
Dates of publication:
  • Ceased in 18uu.
  • Vol. 7, no. 49 (June 13, 1865)-
  • English
  • Caddo Parish (La.)--Newspapers.
  • Louisiana--Caddo Parish.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207485
  • Louisiana--Shreveport.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01209612
  • Shreveport (La.)--Newspapers.
  • Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
sn 83016484
Preceding Titles:
Related Titles:
Related Links:
View complete holdings information
First Issue Last Issue

Shreveport semi-weekly news. [volume] June 13, 1865 , Image 1


Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Shreveport Daily News, The Semi-weekly Shreveport News, Shreveport News, Shreveport Semi-weekly News, Semi-weekly News and The Shreveport Weekly News

Considered the “second city” of Louisiana until being surpassed in population by Baton Rouge in the late twentieth century, Shreveport was founded on the banks of the Red River in 1836 by steamboat captain Henry Miller Shreve of Pennsylvania. The city quickly became an important cotton shipping center and staging point on the route to Texas. In 1860, its population was approximately 3,500, of which about 1,300 were slaves.

The first issues of the Shreveport Daily News and the Shreveport Weekly News were published in April 1861. Their editor, John Dickinson (b. ca. 1831), was a Brooklyn, New York, native and a former manager of the Natchitoches(LA) Chronicle. Publishing both a daily and a weekly newspaper soon proved to be too difficult for Dickinson, and in November 1861, he consolidated the papers to form the Shreveport Semi-Weekly News, the title of which changed several times over the next five years. By February 1863, the Shreveport Weekly News was again issued alongside the semiweekly edition, but failed four months later. It was revived for a third time in 1866.

The Civil War was the main subject of Dickinson’s reporting. In addition to news of battles and troop movements, he printed official military correspondence together with his personal opinions on subjects such as abolition and the use of African-American troops. Recognizing Shreveport’s importance as a railroad hub and river shipping center, Dickinson promoted southern industry; many of his papers carried the motto “Home Manufacture.” Reports of the Louisiana state legislature, which fled to Shreveport from Opelousas in 1863, are available, as is information on Shreveport’s brief period as the last capital of the Confederacy following the fall of Richmond in April 1865.

The cultural life of Shreveport during the Civil War was reported in some detail, with announcements of concerts, plays, minstrel shows, and other public entertainments. A “Ladies’ Corner” carried recipes, household tips, and fashion advice. Articles such as “Gov. Morehead’s Experience in a Yankee Prison” and “What the Yankee Soldiers Say and Think” may have been printed to bolster the resistance movement as Union troops advanced up the Red River toward Shreveport.

By 1867, the Shreveport Weekly News (described by a New Orleans newspaper as “that lively and flourishing journal”) was being edited by Rev. A. L. Hay (b. ca. 1820), a former Indian missionary and a graduate of Georgetown College in Kentucky. His wife, M. B. Hay (b. ca. 1836), a poet of some distinction, also contributed to the paper’s management. In 1869, it claimed a circulation of 600 in Louisiana, Arkansas, and Texas. Publication appears to have ceased by 1870, by which time the Hays had moved to nearby Marshall, Texas.

Provided by: Louisiana State University; Baton Rouge, LA