Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Gonzales inquirer. [volume] (Gonzales, Tex.) 1853-current
Gonzales, Tex. (1853-current)
- The Gonzales inquirer. [volume] : (Gonzales, Tex.) 1853-current
- Alternative Titles:
- Gonzales weekly inquirer
- Place of publication:
- Gonzales, Tex.
- Geographic coverage:
- Smith & Darst
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (June 4, 1853)-
- Semiweekly <Jan. 3, 1992->
- Gonzales (Tex.)--Newspapers.
- Absorbed: Waelder new era, Jan. 1945, Nixon times, Apr. 1950, and: Daily inquirer (Gonzales, Tex. : 1897), Oct. 1991.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Daily edition: Daily inquirer (Gonzales, Tex. : 1897).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 95, no. 144 (Dec. 24, 1992).
- Published later by Smith & Beach <1876>.
- Publisher: Guadalupe Valley Pub. Co., <Oct. 14, 1991->
- sn 83021636
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Gonzales Inquirer was the first newspaper in Gonzales, Texas, and remains one of the oldest continuously operating newspapers in the state. S. W. Smith, previously a newspaperman in Alexandria, Louisiana, and D.H.S. Darst, an original member of the DeWitt Colony, a settlement in Mexican Texas, published the first issue on June 4, 1853. It stated their reasons for publishing: only one other town along the Guadalupe River had a press at the time, and the two men saw a great need for "speculation on affairs of State," as well as for advertising the "immense importations" of goods to a "large populous, wealthy county"—in 1853 the population stood at nearly 1,000 people, up from roughly 400 the previous year—"unsurpassed for beauty of scenery, fertility of soil and salubrity of climate in the State of Texas." Noting the appetite of the region's wealthy farmers for imported goods, advertisers from New York and New Orleans purchased space in the paper.
In their first editorial, Smith and Darst detailed the great trouble they encountered bringing the press to Gonzales, in what was then a newly established frontier state. The type had to be "hauled over a hundred miles of very bad road ... immediately after the fall of very heavy rains." When it arrived, it included a box of the wrong font, and "several letters of the alphabet were missing." Once the mistake was rectified, the publishers were able to print their first issue: a six-column, four-page broadsheet measuring 24 by 36 inches that came out on Saturdays. The masthead proclaimed the publication to be "Open To All Parties—Controlled By None." The publishers set the subscription price at $3.00 per year.
The Inquirer continued with these specifications for many years. Although initially asserting to be independent in politics, by 1869 the paper had declared itself to be Democratic. After a short time, Darst sold his interest in the paper to Smith, who remained the editor and publisher for 25 years. Editor Carey J. Pilgrim increased the paper's prominence in the state at the end of the 19th century: around 1870 the paper had approximately 700 subscribers; circulation rose to 1,000 by the turn of the century. By 1884, Pilgrim was the owner of the Inquirer and ushered in a new era by offering a junior partnership to an apprentice, Henry Reese, Jr. In 1887, D. L. Beach bought a half-interest in the paper from Pilgrim and continued as a partner with Reese until Beach's death in 1906.
The Reese family owned the paper for nearly 100 years and were involved with many economic activities in the town of Gonzales. Several members of the family served as editors and publishers, including Reese's half-sister Anne Reese; his wife Otelia Reese, who took over as publisher following his death in 1923; and their sons, Henry Reese, III, and Edward Reese. In 1991 the paper was bought by the Guadalupe Valley Publishing Company.
The Gonzales Inquirer has continued publication under the same name, except for a brief time around 1876 when it merged with the South-Western Index to become the Inquirer-Index. By 1877, however, the paper resumed as a separate publication. A daily edition published by Reese, Jr., and Beach began on June 1, 1897, as a four-page, five-column paper. It eventually expanded to eight columns and six to ten pages and included a daily wire service.
Provided by: University of North Texas; Denton, TX