The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Daily news of the Virgin Islands.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1756-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
The Daily news of the Virgin Islands. [volume] : (Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, V.I.) 1955-1978
Alternative Titles:
  • Daily news
Place of publication:
Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, V.I.
Geographic coverage:
  • Charlotte Amalie, Saint Thomas, Virgin Islands  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
[Art Shop]
Dates of publication:
1955-1978
Description:
  • 26th year, no. 8712 (Aug. 1, 1955)-48th year, no. 12043 (May 17, 1978).
Frequency:
Daily (except Sunday)
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Charlotte Amalie (United States Virgin Islands)--Newspapers.
  • United States Virgin Islands--Charlotte Amalie.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01861757
Notes:
  • "The only independent Virgin Islands newspaper serving the people of the Virgin Islands."
  • 40th anniversary ed., Aug. 1, 1970; 160 pp., 45th anniversary ed., Aug. 1, 1975. Contained ill. history of the islands and newspaper publishing in the territory.
  • Editor: Ariel Melchior, Sr., 1955-1964; Ariel Melchior, Jr., 1964-1976; John Thompson, Jan.-Apr. 1977; Carter Hague, Apr. 1977-May 1978.
LCCN:
sn 83025327
OCLC:
9391862
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The Daily news of the Virgin Islands. [volume] January 2, 1962 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

The Daily news of the Virgin Islands

The Daily News of the Virgin Islands has been a prominent source of local news and information for nearly a century. Established in 1930 in Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, United States Virgin Islands, The Daily News was founded by Ariel Melchior Sr. and J. Antonio Jarvis. In 1940, Ariel Melchior Sr. bought J. Antonio Jarvis' shares and became the sole proprietor.

In 1955 Melchior Sr. changed the name of the paper to The Daily News of the Virgin Islands. From 1955 to 1964, Ariel Melchior Sr. held the position of editor, followed by Ariel Melchior Jr. who served in the same capacity from 1964 to 1976. The editorial leadership was then handed over to John Thompson, who held the post from January to April 1977, before it was taken over by Carter Hague from April 1977 to May 1978. In 1978, Ariel Melchior made the decision to sell the paperto the Gannett company. Despite the change in ownership, Melchior remained actively involved in the newspaper's daily operations.

The Daily News of the Virgin Islands was published daily, excluding Sundays and holidays. With an initial page count of eight to twelve pages, the newspaper gradually increased its page count over time, becoming a regular twelve or sixteen pages per issue. The publisher's block indicated that the paper was distributed in the Virgin Islands, the continental US and Canada, and Europe, with an office in London under S. S. Koppe & Co. Ltd. The paper's motto is "More and Better Business for St. Thomas."

Between 1955 and 1978,the paper featured a variety of recurring sections, including a classified ads section, a world news section, a women's section with recipes, a sports section, and syndicated columns such as "Advice to Lovelorn" by Beatrice Fairfax and "Look and Learn" by A. C. Gordon. In addition, the paper incorporated a "Virgin Islands' Only Color Comics" comic strip section, including the Blondie cartoon strip, and added a teen section and a "Solve a Crime" mystery section in 1962.

As of July 1962, the paper increased its coverage of NASA and the space race, and it included more political cartoons with anti-Nixon and pro-civil rights sentiments. On the 33rd anniversary of the paper on August 1, 1963, an article was published on the history of the paper.

The Daily News of the Virgin Islands continued publication until 1978 when it became The Virgin Islands Daily News, which remains in publication today.

Provided by: University of the Virgin Islands