Our Showing along Business Lines
The Statesman is publishing free
s business and professional men's
guide. This is to inlcrm the people
ind general oublie of the men and
women who are in business and what
they are doing and where they are
located. Look over the list careful!}
and see if any one is omitted; if so no
tify us at once and their names will
be inserted. Then if you have need
of any service they can render call
on them. Say yon ssw their name*,
in the Business Directory of The
Statesman. As soon as the list is
complete and verified it will be pub
lished on a large card and hung up
in public places so that the general
public may know where wears aL
The business columns of The
Statesman are open to all for free
discussion of industrial topics of
ocal importance. If you are pos
sensed of business knowledge that is
practical and has been proven in Col
orado, it ia ycnr duty te give it to
ifi’e it lo your fellow cili en« Men.
minds and dollars are inrned thin way
ooking for an opening Wbat we
want are facts demonstrated here in
Denver and rot a thousand miles
This column of business enter
prises cannot be filled up all at once
but will lie arranged in alpbalielical
order. Kach week new letters will
be added lo the list and all the busi
ness enterpiiees under the beading of
those letters will be insetted. The
namee and location will t>« peima
nent » j that all y >n oped lo do is to
look at your paper lo see who ia in
The Statesman. 1026 19th St.
J H. Stnstl, Kittridge building
Mia Turner, 2-U3L«wrence St
boot pa sums
Charles Call 1707 Aiapaboe St.
S. A. Lauxton. 818 Ifilb atreel A
BRIOKLATTttS AND CONTRACTORS.
J, II Smithes, 1838 \’< ne
T . V Lamb. 2256 13iak*.
THE STATESMAN, DENVER, COLORADO,
barbeh shops, bath rooms
Fountain, 1834 Arapahoe.
Had cliff, 1226 18th street.
Sample, 1223 19th street
Mackey, 1860 Arapahoe
Two Jims, 1!)J9 Champa Street.
Mrs, Oeo. S. Contee, 2612 Welton St.
Mrs. J. H. Vernell, 1846 Washington
Mrs. R. T. Anderson, 526 26 Are.
OALBOMISIEB AND DECORATORS.
.0. S. Webster. 1511 Tremont St.
A. Higgins, 823 So. lOtn St.
J H. Smithes, 20;iiiLsfByste Sts
Or. Randolph. 1944 Broadway
CARPENTERS AND BCILDERh.
Harry Brown, 188 8 Clark st.
frontman. 3181 Humboldt.
Thornton Beverly, 2101 Lawrence st,
rhog Clingmau 1855 Arapahoe
Doo Reeves, 1018 19th St
MissUonb Side*. 1922 Lawrence St.
oois bau maker.
Mrs II W. Mushy, 2751 Arapahoe.
CLEAXII a A PRESSING
i Paris City (leaning Works 610 15th
S A. Bon Jurat it, 1077 Broadway.
American Cleaning Works, 1507 16lh.
0 K denning Works, 210 loth St.
M IVoplos, 1530 Glenarm
P. E. Spratlin, Good Block, IGth A
Mrs. J L. Ford 1921 Curtis St
M . A. Jones, 21 st A Champa,
Dr. Colt-ell 1020 l!Hh street.
Quo. W. Coffey 1921 Curtis
C H. Hooper 22 and Champa
olm Payne Pennsylvania A- 17th ave.
Phone 382 Olive.
O. D. Hall, 17th and Arapahoe.
EMBROIDERY AND BATTENBURS
Mrs Irving Williams 2229 Arapahoe
L - MoKhII, 40 W. Bth ave.
X. B DutJei
Miss M. Cowden, 1219 21st street.
Mrs Eli Turner, 2603 Curtis.
Mrs. J. K. Hallowell, 2026 Larimer.
Mrs. M E Mickey, 2260 Penn. Avo.
Mrs. Cleave”, 124 York Si
1. H. Gibbs 2227, Grant avenue.
MIXES AND MINERS
Golden Chest Mining & Milling Co.,
1223 19th St.
Richard Evans, 2045 Arapahoe St
R. G. Holley, violinist 1828 Downing.
Mrs. R VY Mosby, 2751 Arapahoe St
Mabel Fore, 23ih & Hnmbolt St
D. E. Henry, vocal and instrumen
tal music. 1743 Blake St.
Hallowell & Hallowell 2026 Larimer
R. O. Holley, 1828 Downing.
Ohas. Harris, 2337 Lincoln
Centennial Mandolin & Guitar Club.
Thos. Clingman, 1830 Arapahoe
PINO PONO PARLORS.
Henry Finn, 1817 Arapahoe St
The Statesman, 1026 19th St
PAPER BANOINQ AND PAINTING
O W. Andrews 1218 20th Ave
B. Lewis, 24 26lb ave.
W. E. Scott, 2516 Weltou.
Lewis Price, 137 So. Tremout.
CROTCHETINO, PLAIN SEWING.
Mrs. Hattie Hogue, 1123 Welton St
CAT TAKES RAT'S HOME.
Natural Enemies and Occu
pies Their Domicile.
A brood of rats made their home
*st rammer beneath an ash house in
'fte rear of ore of the houses in the
otd Dorchester district. Near by, be
neath the pfaxza of another house, a
noroeb ss cat reared a quartet of kit
tens. The people la tne neighborhood
fed the cat and her furry little ones
but they declined all advances and
remained a lid as young lynxes. The
old cal speedily taught her family to
become expert rat catchers.
One of the kilters paid especial at
tention to the ash house near at hand,
in the flooring of which the rats had
prawed largo holes and were living
happily. One by one that kitten de
pleted the family of rodents until they
had become entirely wiped out. Then
the Juvenile cat enlarged the passage
they had trade beneath the ash house
until it was ample to accommodate
her own proportions. She gathered
together the ne ts they had used un
til she had a l?.rge and comfortable
bed. and all through the present win
ter she has made her home in this
place, appropriating the larder of the
rats to her own uses.
She Is as wild as ever and those vis
iting the ash house rarely ace more
than the tip of her nose or an eye as
she occasionally comes to the mouth
of the groat rat hole.—Boston Globe
Curious Chinese Prejudice.
In the course of business certain
London banks have occasion to send
out large sums of gold coin to China.
No sovereigns. however, will be ac
cepted which have the familiar St.
George and the Dragon on the reverse
side. The Dragon plays a leading part
in religious matters in China, and its
figure on the coin is abhorrent to the
Celestial mind. The London con
signees have, therefore, to pick out
the older coins, having a shield on the
reverse side, for transmission to the
East, and these are now consequently
becoming very scarce, only about five
per thousand remaining in general cir
culation in England.
Lighted Witches to Jail.
There is in the possession of Walter
L. Harris of Salem a unique lamp
shaped like a bowl and with a eirvieg
handle. This is said to have li.cn used
during the olden limes, the days of
the witchcraft delusion, to light
into jail some of the witches. It
is of iron and must have been filled
with oil with a wick floating on the
surface. One gazes on this black lamp
and wishes it could tell Its story of
Salem has many spots which an*
pointed out to strangers in connection
with the witchcraft delusion. There Is
the supposed witch house, where It is
*Md t at preliminary examinations
took place. Then, in the courthouse,
are shown the pins which, according
to allegations, were stuck Into vic
tims. The old jail, now reconstructed,
is the home of Hon. Abner C. Goodaie.
“G;p William?, a church-going doc
died in Nontville, a Berkshire village,
and his funeral was held, says a Win
sted (Conn.) dispatch to the New
York World. Many children followed
the dog to Its burial place.
Gip. who was owned .by a family
named Williams, for years had a
tended prayer meetings and all the
entertainments in the village church
Alter the family had gone to pm i :
meeting recently Chariea Richardson
who lives with the Williamses, said
to the dog. *Gip. you can't go to
church tonight.” The dog walked
into the next room and went through
the window, sash and all.
Arriving at the church. Gip pushed
the swinging door open and took his
accustomed seat with the congrcga
Dog Announces Crossings.
A blind man and a spaniel dog lead
it g him with the aid of chain fur
n'shed a curious sight on Chestnut
street the other day. Pedestrians
looked on in amazement and n;«.'
followed the blind man and h -
r riend to see if anything curious would
ui pen when they reached a street
r sing. Strang© enough, the dug
irrKed when the curbstone was
~each«d and in that way informed t’ ■
•I : nd man that he should be careful
nd step down. —Philadelphia Pres^
xml | txt