Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Rhode-Island Republican. [volume] (Newport, R.I.) 1809-1841
Newport, R.I. (1809-1841)
- The Rhode-Island Republican. [volume] : (Newport, R.I.) 1809-1841
- Alternative Titles:
- Newport Republican
- Place of publication:
- Newport, R.I.
- Geographic coverage:
- WM. Simons
- Dates of publication:
- No. 1, vol. 1 (Mar. 22, 1809)- ; new. ser., v. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 26, 1836)-new ser., v. 5, no. 26 (Apr. 21, 1841).
- Newport (R.I.)--Newspapers.
- Newport County (R.I.)--Newspapers.
- Rhode Island--Newport County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211877
- Rhode Island--Newport.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01210119
- Also issued in microform from the Readex Microprint Corp. and on microfilm from the Micro Photo Div., Bell & Howell Co.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 1 (Mar. 22, 1809).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 5, no. 18 (Feb. 24, 1841).
- New ser., vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 26, 1836)-new ser., v. 3, no. 2 (Oct. 31, 1838) called also whole no. 1378-whole no. 1462.
- Numbering sometimes irregular; some issues misdated.
- Published as: Newport Republican, Feb. 26, 1829, June 14, 1831.
- Suspended Sept. 3, 1834; resumed Oct. 15, 1834.
- sn 83025561
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Rhode-Island Republican was published weekly in Newport, Rhode Island from 1809 to 1841, and although another newspaper with the same name was published at Newport from 1801 to 1806, there is no connection between the two papers.
The Rhode-Island Republican was, as the name implies, a Republican newspaper. In its early years, it supported Jeffersonian principles and evolved to become a Democratic-Republican paper opposing the Whig platform and its political candidates for local, statewide and national office.
It was briefly published as the Newport Republican from February 26, 1829 to June 14, 1831. William Simons Sr. was the paper's first editor from 1809 to 1825; he was not the last, however, as a number of others edited the newspaper after 1825 until its last issue. In 1826, the Rhode-Island Republican was printed and published by Atkinson & Read. By 1830, William Read alone was printer and publisher. In 1835, F. B. Peckham was publisher, proprietor, and printer. The last edition was printed by Callahan & Tilley on April 14, 1841.
Provided by: Rhode Island Digital Newspaper Project