The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Texas Republican.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
The Texas Republican. [volume] : (Marshall, Tex.) 1849-1869
Place of publication:
Marshall, Tex.
Geographic coverage:
  • Marshall, Harrison, Texas  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
F.J. Patillo
Dates of publication:
1849-1869
Description:
  • Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 26, 1849)-v. 20, no. 43 (June 4, 1869).
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Harrison County (Tex.)--Newspapers.
  • Marshall (Tex.)--Newspapers.
  • Texas--Harrison County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01213191
  • Texas--Marshall.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01205396
Notes:
  • Also issued on microfilm from Microfilm Center, Inc.
  • Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
  • Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 26, 1849).
  • Latest issue consulted: Vol. 20, no. 43 (June 4, 1869).
LCCN:
sn 83025730
OCLC:
9788480
ISSN:
2689-6451
Related Links:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The Texas Republican. [volume] May 26, 1849 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Texas Republican

Harrison County, located in northeastern Texas along the Louisiana border, became a major regional hub for cotton during the antebellum era. Its town of Marshall was the first in Texas to have a telegraph; by the 1850s the local newspapers, including the Harrison Flag, the Star State Patriot, and the Texas Republican, had a telegraph link to New Orleans, which gave them quick access to national news. Consequently, Harrison County papers became very influential media outlets west of the Mississippi River before and during the Civil War.

By the 1850s, the county’s dependence on cotton was apparent, as was its dependence on slavery. In 1849 the Texas Republican, an influential, pro-southern newspaper established by Robert W. Loughery, was an adamant supporter of slave-owning rights, and eventually of secession. The Republican was published every Friday; subscriptions sold at $3.00, with four pages printed for most issues. Circulation extended outside Harrison County to major urban settlements in the region, including Shreveport and Mansfield in Louisiana and Jefferson and Tyler in Texas.

Following the victory of President-elect Abraham Lincoln, the Texas Republican expressed the fear that "The South is engaged in a fearful struggle for her right, and her equality and she must maintain her position, or she is lost forever." Texas was the seventh of eleven southern states to secede from the Union, forming the Confederacy. Although all of the Confederacy witnessed battle, Texas was mostly untouched by the events of the Civil War; however, the Republican published letters written by Confederate prisoners of war from Harrison County. The paper continued to publish during the war but struggled to do so consistently by 1863, due to paper shortages and labor scarcity. Consequently, the Republican reduced its page size from 29 by 43 inches and suspended publication in July 1863, though it resumed with two five-column pages on September 24, 1864.

After the Civil War ended in 1865, the Republican continued to struggle. The presence of federal troops made Loughery wary about publishing anything too radical that would draw attention to the paper, though he was bitterly against Reconstruction policies. In 1869, a fire destroyed the Texas Republican's offices at Marshall.

Provided by: University of North Texas; Denton, TX