Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Gazette of the United States, & Philadelphia daily advertiser. [volume] (Philadelphia [Pa.]) 1796-1800
Philadelphia [Pa.] (1796-1800)
- Gazette of the United States, & Philadelphia daily advertiser. [volume] : (Philadelphia [Pa.]) 1796-1800
- Alternative Titles:
- Gazette of the United States, and Philadelphia daily advertiser
- Place of publication:
- Philadelphia [Pa.]
- Geographic coverage:
- Printed by John Fenno
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 10, no. 1190 (July 1, 1796)-v. 17, no. 2419 (June 27, 1800).
- Daily (except Sunday)
- Pennsylvania--Philadelphia County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217128
- Philadelphia (Pa.)--Newspapers.
- Philadelphia County (Pa.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microopaque and microfilm by Readex Microprint Corp. and on microfilm by Micro Photo Div., Bell & Howell Co.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 83025881
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Gazette of the United-States and related titles
The Gazette of the United States was the leading Federalist newspaper of the late 18th century, a time of intense partisan politics. Adopting the motto, "he that is not for us, is against us," the newspaper was a staunch defender of the Federalist administration and a ruthless attacker of its critics. Editor John Fenno began the Gazette as a semiweekly newspaper, with the first edition appearing on April 15, 1789, in New York City, the nation's capital at the time. Its biggest supporter was Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton, who organized its initial funding and was a primary, albeit anonymous, contributor of letters and essays.
The Gazette moved to Philadelphia in 1791, following the move of the capital to that city. The four-page, three-column newspaper included much foreign news, political essays, letters, and news reports, with little to no distinction between the news and editorial comment. Fenno had initially excluded advertising, as he felt it would lower the tone of the newspaper, but he eventually added paid notices.
Throughout its existence, the Gazette engaged in rivalry with two leading Republican Party organs. From 1791 to 1793, Philip Freneau's National Gazette opposed the Gazette at every turn. Their bitter partisanship alienated readers, causing both newspapers to suffer. The Gazette of the United States suspended publication after September 18, 1793, while the National Gazette published its last issue on October 26, 1793.
Fenno's Gazette resumed publishing as a daily on December 11, 1793, under the name Gazette of the United States & Evening Advertiser. Its new Republican opponent was Benjamin Franklin Bache's newspaper, commonly known as the Aurora. Although the capital moved to Washington in 1800, the Gazette remained in Philadelphia, and its distance from the center of government reduced its influence. Moreover, the Federalists whom the paper and its editors had supported so loyally, were no longer in government, and the party itself was starting to fade.
Still, the Gazette persisted for a number of years, despite continuous changes in its name. It became the Gazette of the United States and Daily Evening Advertiser on June 12, 1794; the Gazette of the United States on July 1, 1795; the Gazette of the United States, & Philadelphia Daily Advertiser on July 1, 1796; and the Gazette of the United States, & Daily Advertiser on June 28, 1800. On November 2, 1801, the paper reverted to its earlier title: the Gazette of the United States, known after February 20, 1804, as the United States' Gazette. The Gazette finally ceased operations on March 7, 1818, when it merged with the True American.
Provided by: Library of Congress, Washington, DC