Newspaper Page Text
i Mail Addresses
Business: 014 E. 15?ndSt. I’hnne liLeuville 4383 News: 14EU0 Eudid Avb. Apt. 30? Police Court 1949 Fines Hit New High Fines paid into the East Cleve land Police Department in 1949 reached the highest ever received by the department for infraction of the city’s Traffic Code and dis respect for its ordinances cover ing felonies, and misdemeanors. The total is $49,157.05. The sum was “pooled” by 3,178 violators, exclusive of parking ticket violations which totaled 8,615 for the year. In 1948 the sum was $47,954.39 for 2,999 violations, exclusive of parking ticket listings. In 1943 these figures hit the bottom of the curve with $6,188.79 for 1,737 violations, with fluctuating curves until 1945 when a steady upturn started. Under the traffic code violations arrests for speeding topped the list with 583, crashing a red light brought in 525 drivers while failure to observe boulevard STOP signs added another 493 names. Two hun dred twenty-two drivers disregard ed officer’s signals and 182 driv ers drove trucks on streets closed to this classification. Thirty-two drivers found them selves paying $200 fines and spend ing 48 hours in the city’s modern, but even so, jail for driving intoxi cated. This is the fine which Judge Stanton Addams of the city’s court imposes on all alike under this charge. Plain cases of intoxication number 258, and 32 charges of driving while intoxicated were filed. Drivers found operating cars minus an acompanying license number 115. In the other traffic categories the number of violators in each instance was small. But two non-support cases and one case of contributing to the delinquency of a minor are noted. Other than felonies, 147 Juvenile cases were handled and 15 juveniles were arrested for felonies. These (Continued on Page 7) Hank Greenberg Exchange Speaker I With spring training less than a month away, and with every one wondering just what the Indians are going to do this sea son, whatever Hank Greenberg has to say on the subject is real news. Greenberg, vice president and general manager of the Cleve land Indians will discuss the team and its prospects at the Tues day, February 14th meeting of the East Cleveland Exchange Club. This will be a guest day with city officials and other disting uised visitors and friends of the members as guests. Baseball is real topic for Clevelanders. The famous ball player will be introduced by Dr. Richard Wat kins, who haa arranged for his appearance here. Newest member of the Exchange Club is Charles A. Barney, busi ness manager of the Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center. President Kenneth Bolmeyer demonstrated his ability as a speaker when he brought a num ber of objects and used them in a talk on lighting, at a recent meeting. The items later were given as gifts among the members. The East Cleveland Library is bemoaning the loss of the beauti ful porcelain kitten which lay sleeping on top of the cabinet in the Children’s Room. It is the figure of a half-grown Maltese kitten, gray with bluish markings. His little curlcd-up body measures about six inches in diameter. He has large, alert ears which make him look very much alive. His relaxed and happy presence creates an atmosphere of peace and contentment. All who used or entered the room admired and loved this CtfcVb.LANP i. 14101 EUCLID AVENUfi EAST CLEVELAND, Qb I Volume No. IX—No. 6 YWCA Extension Committee Is Named For City Under »a new policy of the YWCA, extension advisory com mittees are being formed to inter pret YWCA and to provide more and better programs for business women, teen-agers and home makers in their individual areas. Meeting at the East Cleveland Center Monday, February 6th, the East Cleveland advisory commit tee was formed with members selected from participants in vari ous YW programs and from the roll of the former Committee of Management. Chairman of the committee is Mrs. E. E. Lehmann, 1519 Burling ton rd., long active in YWCA circles. i--’: Serving with Mrs. Lehmann are Miss: Louise Barthold of Nela Park Mrs. Marjorie M. Dolle of Huron Road Hospital Miss Gene vieve Quinn, East Cleveland Wel fare Director Mrs. Wayne C. Blough, 1812 Roxford rd. Mrs. C. A. Dauber, 955 Inglewood Mrs. William Jones, 16412 Glynn rd. Mrs. Emily Lambkin, 1740 Strath more ave. Mrs. Arthur Willey, 2481 Noble rd. Mrs. Walter Wise man, 5255 Spencer rd. Mrs. J. A. Sneller, 885 Greyton rd. Also present at the meeting were Mi’s. Vera Barger, executive sec retary East Side Branch and the three members of the East Cleve land YWCA Center, Mrs. Robert Finney, director Health Education Mrs. Ralph Miller, Teen-age direc tor and Miss Hazel Yonekura, director Adult Activities. Zoning Board To Hear Appeal Monday Purchase by the Stratton Motors Inc. 15001 Euclid ave., of the 100 foot frontage board of education lot west of and abutting their own location, is contingent upon the ac tion of the East Cleveland Zoning Board of Appeals, it is indicated today. When the motor sales agency purchased the east section of this parcel, the city had established the retail business zone for the prop erty at a depth of 226 feet. Mr. Robert Stratton, president of the company, appealing to have this ex tended by 80 feet, and also to have, the zoning of the proposed addi tional ground extended to conform to the new depth of 285 feet. The rear of the lot, which extends north to Eldertvood ave., is zoned for commercial us®. it is unoc cupied. The appeal will be heard by the Zoning Board of Appeals Monday, February 13th at 9 a.m. in the commission chamber of City Hall. Expansion of the business is finding the motor sales agency cramped for space in which to park incoming new cars, cars being serv iced and cars taken in trade OJ3 sales, states Mr. Stratton. Library Bemoans Disappearance Of Porcelian Kitten In Children's Room charming little figure. The Staff of the Library are particularly grieved because he was given to the Children’s Room by Mr. Philo B. Rhoades, former presi dent of the Library Board, .who died last fall. It is thought that a little boy or girl who loved the kitten too well took him home one day. The Library hopes that if some mother runs across this little unfamiliar porcelain figure among her child’s treasures she will recognize it as the Library’s cat and return it to be enjoyed by many qliikkeu, instead of only one child. East Cleveland, Ohio Caledonia Past Presidents Reunion Presidents, who through the years have directed the activities at Caledonia PTA to make it a strong link between school and home are shown as they attended the February 17th meeting of the 'unit at the school. The figures indicate the year of their serv ice: Seated: Left to right: Mrs. G. J. Nock (1940-1941), Mrs. Clauda Much (1926-1927), Mrs. Clyde Mor gan (1931-1932) Mrs. F. H. Thorwald (1925-1926 ),-^Mrs. Arthur Townhill (1947-1948), Mrs. W. L. Linehan (1937-1938). Standing: Mrs. J. J. Hudelson (1948-1949), Mrs. L. M. Younker (1939-1940), Mrs. Nelson F. Leist (1934-1944), Mrs. L. K. Meola (1946-1947), Mrs. Arthur E. Grif fith (1938-1939), Mrs. F. S. Stam berger (1929-1930), Mrs. Alfred (1944-1945), Mrs. J, J. R. Jandt Nausau (1932-1933). Peterson (1935-1936), Mrs. Howard Church (1945-1946), (.Story Coming) Mrs. V "Eg‘ W* Couple From India To Speak At Community Council Session Tonight At the Community Council meet ing tonight, Thursday, February 9th, Mr. and Mrs. Meyer Nan navatty of India will discuss the subject “Differences and Similari ties of Community Life in India and the United States as We See It. The Nannavattys are students the School of Applied Science Western Reserve University. The public is invited. in at as The meeting will be held, usual, at the East Cleveland YMCA, 1819 Lee rd., just south of Euclid ave. with dinner at 6:30, a brief business session at 7:15 and the program at 7:30 p. m. Persons unable to attend the dinner, but desiring to hear Mr. and Mrs. Nannavatty, are welcome to come in at 7:30 o’clock. Church Choir Gives 1950 Caper Revue# The choir of the Phillips Avenue church will present it’s annual “Caper” Friday evening, February 17th at 8 in the church recreation. The church is located at 1179 East 125th st. The 1950 edition entitled “In the Middle” an original revue, has been written by Joseph Baechle, who not only wrote but directed the much talked about production of Caper last year. Mr. Baechle will again direct Caper with the tech nical assistance of Mr. and Mrs. James Anderson and Mr. and Mrs. Charles Reicheld. Louise Cleave land, choir director, will supervise and dir direct the musical muubcrs. Republicans Sponsor Lincoln Day Parties Sponsored by the Republican Central Committee, a series of Lincoln Day card parties will be held throughout Cuyahoga County the evening of Wednesday, Febru ary 15th and East Cleveland Re publicans are inviting everyone to. attend this suburb’s party to be held in Chambers School. Refresh ments will be served and there will be no admission. Playing will begin at 8 o’clock. Mrs. Bolton, the district’s rep resentative in Washington, and.U. S. Senator Taft who are making the rounds of the parties, will drop in at Chambers School sometime dur ing the evening, just long enough to greet their constituents. KIRK ELECTS As the result of an election held by the 9A group at W. H. Kirk Jr. High School, Tom Blanchard is class president, Ken Horton, vice president and Janet Kaihc, secre tary. East Cleveland Leader Published in Conjunction with The SCOOP in Northeast Cleveland and The News-Journal in Euclid ■fy Photo by W/R. Duns Truck Crashes Through Floor Arriving at the Ailico Co., 14840 Euclid ave., February 2nd, with a load of coal, Joseph Thompson drove up the ramp from the Chap man ave. entrance, and proceeded to drive through a large doorway at the end of the ramp, into the building. The floor collapsed and truck and driver fell through to the first floor. Thompson, 41, who resides at 3532 East 144th st., was removed to Huron Road Hospital. His con dition Tuesday evening was report ed as “good.” Mrs. Henry Dumont, a secretary for the company, told police she told the driver not to enter the building, but ho failed to heed her warning. The building is owned, by Wnj. jj*. MeCarthy.^ *^^,\3^? Auxiliary Police^' Annual Banquet The annual banquet of the East Cleveland Auxiliary Police will be held in Stroup Hall, Holyoke and Euclid ave., at 6:30 p.m. Thursday night, February IGth. This is for members of the organization and special guests. organization was started World War II as a branch Civilian Defense and has This during of the pose is to assist the Police Depart been active ever since. Its pur ment on assignment, particularity at all football games held in Shaw Stadium. The membership consists of about 75 men from all walks of life interested in activities in East Cleveland. The program consists of a rov ing accordion flayer to entertain during the banquet, following which Jimmy Dudley, sports broad caster for WJW will give a talk on the activities of the Cleveland Indians on and off the field. Jim my has traveled with the Indians continuously for the last few years going with them to the training camps and covering all out of town games. He can give a lot of “Be hind the Scenes” activities of the various players. After this there will be a show put on by the “Gay Nineties” wKich comes high ly recommended. The invited guests for this ban quet are Mr. Charles A. Car ran, City Manager Mr. Grant Apthorp, Finance Director and Assistant City Manager Chief H. S. (Buck) Weaver, Chief of Police James Blair, Clerk of Courts, and the following members of the faculty of Shaw High School: Wayne C. Blough, Principal Nelson F. Leist, Assistant Principal Louis, Ralph signed The Robert P. Director of Athletics and Patton, who has just te as coach. Officers of the Auxiliary are: Leonard Lindner, president Bob Woods, vice president Minor Hines, treasurer Ken Whiteman, secretary and Amos Hayden, field director. The Banquet committee is James F. Keyes, Chairman, Jo seph Herbst and William Helm. Book Review Now For Kiwanis Ladies Day 12,800 Circulation Guaranteed City Has 166 Fires In 1949 Renort Shows Speeding along the streets, siren sounding, off for a fire, is not the only responsibility of today’s fire departments. Equally important to extinguishing fires is the work of preventing them. Working on this principle, the East Cleveland Fire Department in 1949 made 6,705 inspections, checking fire hazards in public buildings, industrial plants and places of business. Private home inspections are by request. Chief Fred A. Steffens says it is the old theory of an ounce of prevention. The 6,705 inspections revealed 612 definite violations, a reason able period being granted for cor rections. In his 1949 report, filed with City Manager Chas. A. Carran, Chief Steffens, notes that the department responded to 305 alarms of which 166 proved to be “working” fires. The 166 fires brought building and content loss of $1G,255 for the year against $12,660 in 1948, the lowest for a six year period up to that time. Value of buildings and contents visited by fire were placed at $2,492,072. In Insurance coverage was $2,308,845 and the claims paid amounted to $14,365. The city enjoys a low per capita fire loss of 36 cents as against the over all loss in the country for 1949 of $4.40. Apparatus of tne city’s two fire stations, Ko. 1 on Marloes and No. 2 on Shaw ave., traveled 1,606 miles during the year. It is re ported to be in good condition. In addition to the 166 actual fire runs, there were eight false alarms, 10 outside city runs, 13 unnecessary runs and 83 emergency calls. Emergency calls often bring queer requests as the report re veals. The fire laddies came to the rescue of a child locked in a bath room, of a child who had swallowed a coin, and of a child who caught his foot in drain. They helped 17 persons locked out of their own kAies and made resusitator caii2.' Both engine houses came in for a new look during the year with asphalt tile flooring in locker and lounge rooms, Station No. 2 also received a rubber tiled kitchen floor and Station No. 1, new lino leum on the stairway. Salaries for the department em ployees in 1949 totaled $120,961.37 compared to the $119,717 salary bill in 1948. The “up” was due to salary increases. All members of the department took the advanced Red Cross first aid 30-hour course. But one recommendation is being made by Chief Steffens. He would like to have the four existing vacancies filled. It is reported, on this score, that the examinations have been given and only a few details remain to list the success ful applicants. It is expected to make appointments in the near future, it is stated. Firemen are splendid house keepers. All equipment is scrubbed and polished upon returning from a fire, and everything is put into Al condition at once, ready for the next alarm. Stations kitchens are immaculate at all times. Men's Club Host To Dr. J. R. Scotford Rev. John R. Scotford, editor of ADVANCE, the monthly magazine of the Congregational Christian denomination will speak to the Men’s Club of East Cleveland Congregational Church, on Wed nesday, February 15th, at their regular dinner’ njeeting. Dr. Scot ford will be in Cleveland attend ing the mid-winter meetings of the officials of the denomination who are facing problems of merger and expansion. The speaker is well known here not merely because of his impor tant position of leadership now, but also because he was the pastor of the Glenville Congregational Church, St. Clair ave. and Eddy rd., from 1920 to 1926. From that church he went to New York as editor of the missionary publica tions and then of the- chief de nominational monthly, which under its former name of CONGREGA TIONALIST is one of the oldest church papers in the country. Rev. Scotford will discuss the immediate problems of the religious forces of the nation. a Something entirely new to Kiwanis Ladies Day luncheon with the men as hosts will be offered next Monday, the 13th. For this day-before Valentine Day regular club session the program will be given over to a book review with Mrs. E. R. Trescott of Roxbury rd. reviewing “Especially Father” by Gladys Taber. Miss Fay Bottcn who won one of six state prizes in the Prince of Peace Contest will give the entry which took her into the state finals* and the Vocal Swing Ensemble of Shaw High School under the direction of S. Robert Fraser will sing. The president of the Men’s Club is Roger Downes, who anticipates that the February meeting will be a high light in the year’s activities. Dinner will be served at 6:30 and there will be an opportunity for questions and discussion after Dr. Scotford’s talk. The men of the community are invited to make reservations through the church office, GL. 2419. Born to Mr. and Mrs. Harold E. Howell, 1709 Collamer, a boy, Tim Knight, February 1st. Always Present Paul Carson of 749 East 131st st. and Miss Eleanor McClintock of 13605 Milan ave. are reported by Sunday School Superintendent Ro bert Day as having been present 52 Sundays in Church School from January 1st, 1949 to January 1st. 1950 at the First Church of the Nazarene. There were several others who attendance was perfect except for illness or vacation. But Miss McClintock and Paul were not absent one time for any reason. Paul, 13, is a student at Patrick Henry school. He has bceh attend ing the Nazarene Sunday School for four years where he is a mem ber of the Scout’s Class. Miss Mc Clintock, a regular attendant for five years, is a member of the Dor cas Class. Paul Carson has been presented with a reward for his record and special mention of Miss McClin tock’s faithfulness has been made to the entire school. City Gives 512.500 To Polio Fund East.C lev slanders have i againi" ’They have topped their '$12,000 March of Dimes goal by $500. And there are still a num ber of “iron lung” boxes here and there about town whose contents will add their bit to the today’s grand total of $12,500! Elated at the outcome of the campaign, Judge Stanton Addams. chairman, and Mrs. Alcwyn Isaac and H. B. Weaver, chief of police, who served as co-chairmen, ex tend their hearty thanks to all the energetic workers and the gener ous townspeople who gave to the fund to aid polio victims, and to continue research in the infantile paralysis field. They term the re sults an expression of genuine community interest and coopera tion. Four scout troops, Troop 116, Bud Andrews, Scoutmaster Troop 284, Joe Erbesnik, scoutmaster Troop 434, Mrs. Joseph Machar oni, leader and Troop 291, Mrs. Leroy Snodgrass, leader, worked along with Judge Addams at the three theatres where over $1400 was collected from patrons. Contributions varied from a dime to an anoymous gift of $500. The 1950 campaign was the sec ond in which house-to-house solic itation was made. Commenting Judge Addams expresses the opin ion that a pretty thorough job of door bell ringing was done by the neighborhood workers. The indi vidual “iron lung” cans in the stores and theatre collections of fered opportunity for giving to persons away when a worker call ed at their door. In one instance a worker, not knowing that her prospect was in a group already donating, received an extra $5 bill for her solicitation. Listed among the organization checks is one from East Cleveland Kiwanis Club. Valentine Dance During the intermission of the Caledonian Pipe Band’s Valentine dance at Fosters Hall February 11th, there will be entertainment by the pipers and drummers under the direction of Pipe Major James Shiel, and Scottish Highland danc ing by Marian Shillito and Nancy Kelly. Modern and Scottish danc ing will prevail. The band was organized in Oct ober of 1948 with James Shiel as pipe major and chairman. John Irvine as sergeant piper and Frank Sangster as sergeant drummer, eight pipers and four drummers make up the roll. Uniforms con sist of Royal Stewart tarten kilt and plaid, with blue shirts. Need AB Type Blood A call for AB Negative type blood has gone out from the family of Mrs. Jacqueline B. Drissler, local realtor, who is seriously ill at Glenville Hospital. Prospective donors are requested to contact Miss Taylor at the blood bank of Glenville Hospital. Thursday February 9, 1950 l.' p? X* ‘T' I Uy* y f' 4 J, Paul Carson Cast In "Stardust" Miss Sabatka, who appeared with the Cathedral Square Players in their presentation of “Lady of Fatima” last October, is a gradu ate of Brush High School, where she gathered much experience as a comedienne in such school pro ductions as “What a Life,” “Smilin’ Thru” and “Strawberry Blond.” She attended Cleveland College where she studied radio and dra matics. Lions Transfer Own Meeting To Conclave Because they plan to attend the conclave which the 13F District Lions are holding at Hotel Carter the evening of February 16th, East Cleveland Lions are canceling their own weekly meeting scheduled for the 16th. However, they will get together for a brief birthday ses sion just prior to the conclave dinner, Chris Garmines, whose birthday falls on the 17th, being host to his fellow Lions having February birthdays. This little prevue is being arranged by Mcr rift Weaver. A new membei- is Richard J. Rin ear, 1901 Wickfield rd., Warrens ville Heights, who is attending Kent .State University part time and assisting his father in his businness part time. "Wymore" As "Weymore" St “The spelling class will come to order.” “Today, dear children, we are taking as our spelling words the names of the streets of our be loved East Cleveland. Here in this Suburb, pride of its residents (and almost the envy of its neighbors) we long have held to names for as many of our streets as possible, and the names are so lovely that Ted Robinson, famed writer of yesteryear, even wrote a poem about them. He compared them with the dull, monotony of number after number which meets the ear and the eye of the eastbound trav eler along Euclid ave. from Public Square out.” “First word? on the list are Streets named after colleges .” “That was splendid.” “Now we’ll take other names: Who can spell ‘Wymore’ “W-e-y-m-o-r-e” “Oh No! Cer tainty you have seen this name on the street sign often enough to know it.” “But teacher, the city has changed the name of the spelling of that street and we don’t like it. W« are going to do something about it.” Teacher etmld not believe it but investigation proved the state- i .J Miss Elaine Sabtka of 1721 Bryn Mawr rd. will play the part of Claire Carter, a show-wise stock company actress with a deadly sense of humor, in Walter Kerr’s three act comedy^ ^Stardust” be ing presented by the Cathedral Square Players, February 16, 17 and 19 in the .Mp.ric iamb^g.of Severance Hall.' 1 Don't Be Forest Hill Home Owners Band Together To Guard Thsir Common Interests To maintain the original char acter of Forest Hill, formerly the Rockefeller-ownei’ home develop ment in East Cleveland and Cleve land Heights, home owners of the two suburbs have banded together under the Forest Hill Home Own ers Association, the membership representing 90 per cent of the property owners in that develop ment. Seven East Clevelanders are among the 18 members of the ex ecutive committee which is chair maned by C. VV. Meyers. 3258 Rum son rd., Cleveland Heights. They include A. W. Benjamin, 15409 Brewster rd., executive vice presi dent E. W. Ackerman, 2073 New bury rd., secretary-treasurer N. W. Townsend. 15925 Glynn rd. ji Disappointed Get Your News 5 Ji In Early I J. R. Colville, 16225 Glynn rd. W. H. Fleming, 15933 Brewster rd. W. H. Abbott, 15623 Wyatt rd. and C. E. Hilkert, 16143 Clevi der. rd. George A. Rouse, owner of the development expresses himself as pleased with the forming of the association which he hopes, will be able to assist in solving a num ber of problems which lie before them. “We have the same objective, to maintain the character of the original plans” said Mr. Rouse, “and. by working together we should be able to keep this objec tive and still keep step with mod ern building trends.” One of these problems, explained Mr. Rouse Is the overcoming of the transition in building from the old French Normandy type of homo in the older section of the develop ment, to the modern type of h&mes, favored by builders today. The development, probably the largest one of its type and the only one of its classification on the east side, was purchased by Rouse for approximately $1,000,000 in 1948. During the last 12 months more than 50 homes, ranging in price from $22,500 to $50,000 have been built and as many more are to be erected this year. Under this rate of construction, states Rouse, the entire develop ment will be sold in the next three years. One of the plans in mind when Rouse bought the development was to erect garden type apartments facing Lee rd. Objections raised by the property owners at that time caused abandonment of this plan. It was this turn of affairs ■which, prompted the forming of the as sociation by the homeowners. One of the plans of the new group is to have representatives attend meetings of the East Cleve land City Commission and the Cleveland Heights Council and to keep in touch with the Zoning hoards in both tiLtuh-, wht-u I peals affecting them directly, er indirectly come before the boards. President Meyers state® that through co-operation all issues can be carefully considered and sound decisions arrived at, for the mutual benefit of home owner and develop ment owner. To Organize New Cub Scout Pack Mothers, Dads, have you a son of cub scout age eager to join a cub pack? If so, you are invited to attend a cub pack organization meeting to be held Tuesday, Feb ruary 13th in St. Paul’s Episcopal Church at 7:30 o’clock. With every cub scout pack hi town practically filled, the Boy Scout committee at St. Pauls has a list of 35 prospective cubbers, and wants to add many more to the list. The family need not be members at St. Paul’s to enroll a son in the cub pack. All boys eight to 11 years of age who want to be cubs, are welcomed. This will be a Parents Meeting, with the mothers and dads being given the opportunity to learn about cubbing, assisting in form ing the pack, volunteering as Den Mothers and other aids, all a part of the cubbing program. Representative of the Cleveland Boy Scouts will be in attendance. Residents Up In Arms eet Signs Go Up ment correct. Strange as it may seem, the new sign erected Monday by the city’s service department at the south intersection of Euclid and Wymore ave. is spelled "Wey more.” South Wymore residents are up in arms. Phones are ringing all along the street from home to home and to City Hall .. and to the office of the town’s newspaper. The LEADER. After hours of research, includ ing trips to the county courthousa to dig back into dusty old records, Joseph Henry of the Service De partment gives this explanation for the spelling on the new sign: In the original plat, the spelling on the south end of the avenue was "Weymore.” However, when ths Acceptance Ordinance was written in 1873 the spelling was “Wymore” —but the plat spelling was not changed to conform. The county map, following the Acceptance Or dinance, designated the street “Wy. more." The **Weymore” sign is doomed to discard Thursday—today. New signs are ordered. So be patient, South Wymoreites. Y’ou’ll soon be seeing the old familiar “Wymore” again on you corner street sign. Class dismissed.