OCR Interpretation


East Cleveland leader. [volume] (East Cleveland, Ohio) 1942-1970, January 26, 1956, SPECIAL YMCA EDITION, Image 1

Image and text provided by Ohio History Connection, Columbus, OH

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83035682/1956-01-26/ed-2/seq-1/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for

SPECIAL
YMCA
EDITION
p.........
East Cleveland is specially for
tunate in having as the Dedica
tion Day speaker for its new Build
ing, a Y layman whose devoted
service to this Young Man’s Chris
tian Association is known in far
places of the globe.
A* leader since he was named to
his first committee duty as a boy
member back in 1897, Mr. Ramsey
has worked with untiring enthu
siasm and interest for the Y
throughout the years.
Fred W. Ramsey
Born in Stratford, Ontario, in
Canada, on August 16, 1880, Fred
Ramsey has become one of the
6
greatest and, at the same time,
useful citizens of Cleveland. He is
not only a wall-known figure in
Cleveland, but also widely known
throughout the country and the
world for his work in the YMCA,
in connection with the govern
ment and with the church.
V In 1854, Mr. Ramsey quit school
and became a stockroom boy, sort
ing nuts and bolts and
at the Cleveland Metal
the like,
Products
the Per
He rose
company
Company, forerunner of
fection Stove Company,
^to the presidency of the
and in 1925 he retired at the age
of 45.
,■ Mr* Ramsey has been active in
Jthe work of. the Young Men’s
Christian Association since becom
ing a boy member in 1897. He im
mediately became active on vari
ous committees and in 1914 was
^elected to the Cleveland YMCA
4
Board of Trustees. He has served
aa a member of the Board since
that time and in 1939 was elected
J# ba a Life Trustee of the Cleve
land Association. A member of the
Executive Committee from 1919
to (929, and from 1931 to the pre
sent "time, Mr. Ramsey has been
A a great guiding influence of the
gUaociation.
1
In 1920, Mr. Ramsey was elected
1 Ziee President of the Cleveland
fMCA and served in that capacity
mtil 1925 when he was elected
’resident. He served pp President
OTfive years.
only has Fred Ramsey been
in the Cleveland “Y”, but
s also been active in the
nal Movement From 1923 to
he was President of the Na-
Council of YMCA’s and from
to 1981 was its general sec-
-EAST CLEVELAND LIBRARY.
14101 EUCLID AVENUE
CLEVELAND, 0.
1
Fred W. Ramsey Will Be
Dedication Day Speaker
In 1938, Mr. Ramsey was Chair
man of the Special Gifts Commit
tee of the Cleveland Forward
Movement Campaign and in 1944
he was Chairman of the Citizens
Committee for the Centennial Cam
paign. In the 1954 Building Fund
Campaign, he served as Chairman
of the Endowment and Bequests
Committee.
From 1935 to 1941, Fred W.
Ramsey served as Director of the
Department of Public Health and
Welfare of the City of Cleveland.
In 1942, he joined the War Prod
uction Board, serving as Deputy
Director and Director of Region
Five. At the war’s end, he was
appointed Field Commissioner of
the State Department’s foreign
liquidation program, serving in
Cairo as head of the program for
the middle east. Mr. Ramsey then
became executive Vice-President of
the Church World Service, heading
the Protestant relief program in
Europe and later in Korea. Re
cently Mr. Ramsey was named Di
rector of the Cleveland Regional
Office of the Small Business Ad
ministration and serves in that
capacity at the*‘present time.
As a member of the Calvary
Evangelical Church where he has
been Sunday School Superintend
ent for more than 40 years, Mr.
Ramsey has always been an out
standing layman of the religious
world. On February 10th, 1953, he
was awarded the Russell Colgate
Distinguished Service Citation, pre
sented by the National Council of
Churches, a layman’s award for
outstanding achievement in Chris
tian education.
Fred W. Ramsey has served as
President of the Welfare Federa
tion, helped organize and served
as Campaign Manager of the Com
munity Fund, first President of
the City Mission and has served
on Boards which have to do with
various charity groups. He is a
director of The Cleveland Trust
Company, past director of the
Cleveland Chamber of Commerce
and past president of the Cleveland
Federated Churches.
He and his wife, Florence, cele
brated their Golden Wedding an
niversary on September 16th, 1952.
They have three sons and at pre
sent are residing in Gates Mills,
Ohio.
Mr. Ramsey was one of 21 Cleve
land delegates to the World’s
Alliance of YMCAs conferences
held in Paris, France, in 1955. I
Old Y House
To Be Razed
is to
Many have asked, “What
become of the old Y House?” The
old dwelling which has served as
headquarters through the past
years will be torn down and hauled
away as salvage.
Dirt fill for the old basement
area is now awaiting the shovel,
and the space will be landseaped.
Perhaps a board or two from the
old building might be dressed down
to paddle size to be hung on a wall
in the new home as a reminder of
this important link between the
old and the new.
Location Of Y
House Is Ideal
If given a map of East Cleve
land and told to select the choice
spot for a YMCA headquarters,
the committee on location could
not have picked a more ideal place.
Being approximately in the geo
graphical center of the city the new
Y Home is accessible from all di
rections. Public transportation is
but a few feet away with both
local and express bus facilities
serving day and night.
Parking will be perhaps the
best in town of any public build
ing. Space for cars will be avail
able after the area is complete.
This will not only be an asset so
far as the Y program is concerned,
but will aid very materially, all
outside groups using the facilities.
C. S. Stonebraker, President, East
Cleveland Board of Education
“Congratulations to our fine
staff and Board of Managers of
the Y.M.C.A. Our East Cleveland
“Y” has always been one of the
best and has done an excellent job.
“I am sure with your new mod
ern facilities, you will be able to
do even more for the youth of
our city.*
J*. v ,.»
Volume No. 15—Issue No. 4 East Cleveland Ohio 13.750 Circulation Guaranteed
gw**.
Youth Day Planned For Feb. 4th
Appropriately enough, the first official use of the
new Y House facilities will be for the boys themselves.
This important event comes on Saturday morning,
February 4th when the first actual boys’ program gets
under way, with the gaifte room in full swing.
The regular Saturday gym and swim classes will be
held at Shaw High School, but the doors of the new
building will open at 9:00 a. m. for those boys who wish
to use the game room.
Special films will be shown in the morning. High
light for the day, however, will be a full-length feature
movie starting at 1:30 p. m.
All boys now active in any part of the “Y” program
are invited and urged to bring their friends for the
grand opening. The program will be directed by Gordon
Esch with the assistance of boys from the Hi-Y clubs
and other volunteer leadership.
The YMCA Faces Real
Challenge In Suburbs
The East Cleveland YMCA has a strategic location. It is
in the heart of our city, close to, our most densely populated
sections. How important it is for young people who do not
have the open play areas of the newer suburban communi
ties to have this building with all its fine facilities. No one
will want to minimize the significance and potential of
this fact.
However, with the dedication of
this new building we will do much
more than set aside an imposing
structure for its intended use. This
building was erected because a
sufficient number of people were
convinced that it should and must
be done, and their deep conviction
led them to give the money which
made it possible. No one was
forced to contribute no one was
bludgeoned into serving on one of
the many committees which
planned for and participated in
the raising of this money. A com-
pletely voluntary action on the part
of many dedicated people has
brought a dream into reality.
What happens from this time
forward is certainly of equal, and
I think greater importance than
that which has already been ac
complished. The “Y” is a symbol
of all free institutions. The dedi
cation of this building sets the
framework in which all of us can
make a thoughtful rededication to
the basic principles which under
gird all voluntary organizations.
When Americans lose interest in,
become complacent about hallowed
traditions, their noble heritage,
we will be truly lost. The “Y”, and
all similar community agencies
need a constant flow of men and
women who will give a large por
tion of their time and talent to all
phases of leadership. If we have
such leadership our financial needs
will also be met. If we can continue
to raise, in every American com
munity, succeeding generations of
people who will be motivated to
serve our voluntary institutions
because they really believe in them,
then a whole area of our future
internal security and progress will
be assured.
May this new building serve all
our youth well, add a richness, full
ness, and direction to their lives
not before possible. But, most of
all, may it be the means for pro
ducing sober thought concerning
individual and community respon
sibility for support and leadership.
To the degree with which we rise
to this challenge of rededication of
all our resources we will continue
to make East Cleveland a good
place to live in or near. What we
do here can cast a light of influence
beyond our borders and bring new
strength to the YMCA everywhere,
and to every voluntary institution
in our land.
Rev. Earle C. Hochwald, Minister
East Cleveland Congregational
Church
ast Cleveland Leader
Published hi Conjunction with The SCOOP In Northeast Cleveland and The News-Journal In Euclid
NEW EAST CLEVELAND YMCA OPENS SUNDAY
Sustaining Membership
Campaign Opens Feb. 5
Plans for the annual sustaining membership campaign
were recently announced by Norman W. Townsend, Chair
man of this Campaign and member of the Board of Man
agers of the East Cleveland Y.M.C.A. Opening with a dinner
in the new “Y” building on Sunday, February 5th, the cam
paign will be an intensive affair, closing Sunday night,
February 19th,
During this period, friends of the Y.M.C.A. will have
an opportunity to help underwrite the 1956 budget by be
coming Sustaining Members.
Although the East Cleveland
“Y” receives support from the
Community Chest (about 20%),
modest membership dues paid by
the boys, etc., it must rely on such
Sustaining Memberships of its East
Cleveland friends to provide about
to 40% of its operating costs.
35
Norman W. Townsend
amount has each year
been
This
satisfactorily covered. With an ex
panded 1956 program—because of
its enlarged and improved facili
ties—a modest increase in Sus
taining Me mbership pledge
amounts and in number of each
memberships is hoped for in this
year’s campaign.
No set rates or dues are estab
lished in this “Sustaining Mem
bership” campaign. The amounts
given help pay for memberships of
boys unable to otherwise join and
also permit the very low rates now
charged forY.M. membership. Gen
erally speaking, a Sustaining Mem
bership is regarded as being $10.00
or over. Active membership rates
are as follows: Boys 9 to 14 years
of age—$6.00 per year 15 to 17
years of age—$7.00 per year 18
years and up—$12.00 per year.
Many people subscribing to the
Sustaining Membership campaign
give in multiples of the member
ship rates given.
Manv nennla finh«t/*rihinep +kA
Three Vice-Chairmen have been
appointed for this year’s campaign.
These are Sterling Apthorp, Wil
liam Cleland and Stanley Webster.
Each of these is a member of the
Board of Managers and Mr. Ap
thorp is also Chairman of this
Board.
Working with Mr. Apthorp will
be five team captains—Grant Ap
thorp, Paul Broer, Wilbur Laganke,
Harry Willert and Henry Rubner.
Charles Rendlesham, Dr. Louis
L. Myers, Robert L. Kraber,
Howard Griffiths and John Thomas
are the captains reporting to Vice
Chairman William Cleland.
Stanley Webster’s team captains
are Don Barclay, George Keith,
W. J. Kucher, William Reed, T. C.
Peters and Bernard Keister.
Each of these team captains has
recruited ten workers so nearly two
hundred civic minded citizens will
be out ringing doorbells of the
“Y’s” friends beginning February
5th—the week following the vari
ous “open house” ceremonies. This
campaign coincides with the city
wide Y.M.C.A. campaign and East
Cleveland hopes to conclude its
work by February 20th.
Friends of the East Cleveland
Y.M.C.A. desiring to share in its
important program, and who may
perhaps not be called on during
the February 5th to 20th cam
paign, are asked to mail contribu
tions to Mr. Gordon Esch, Secre
tary, East Cleveland Y.M.CA.,
1831 Lee blvd., East Cleveland 12,
Ohio, or phone Mr. Esch at GL.
1-3425 or Mr. Townsend at LI.
1-3737.
World Fellowship Dinner Meeting
The East Cleveland Y.W.C.A. has announced its an
nual World Fellowship Dinner to be held in the new
building of the East Cleveland Young Men’s Christian
Association on Tuesday, February 7th, at 6:30 p. m.
Speaker for the evening will be Mrs. Donald
Randolph, who will talk on India. This event is open
to the community. Additional information may be
secured by calling the East Cleveland Young Women’s
Christian Association.
Members of the committee include Mrs. Frank
Holzeimer, Mrs. Richard Randall, Mrs. Alfred Hartman,
Mrs. Donald Burke, Miss Shirley Gebhardt, and Miss
Ruth Colbey.
•A
U.. ..
Thursday, January 26, 1956
Expect Thousands To Tour
The New YMCA Building
During Nine-Day Open House
Alumni Dinner
6:30 P. M., Bill Cleland, Chairman
WEDNESDAY, February 1, 1956
Church Recognition Day
8:00 P. M., Tea and Reception, Rev. J.
Franklin McHendry, Chairman
THURSDAY, February 2, 1956
Business, Civic Dinner
6:30 P. M., Paul Broer, Chairman
FRIDAY, February 3, 1956
Artisans and Craftsmen’s Night
8:00 P.M., H. B. Bentsen, Chairman
SATURDAY, February 4, 1956
Youth Day Program
9:00 A. M., Gordon C. Esch, Chairman
SUNDAY, February 5, 1956
For the people of East Cleveland, the new structure
culminates a 25-year period of waiting for the Y to find a
“home of its own” in terms of adequacy of design
and facilities.
The building is the second of ten new YMCA structures
to be built throughout the county as a result of the Y’s 1954
Building Fund Campaign.
Civic Business
And Industrial
Leaders Hear Hall
Paul Broer
Civic, busineaa and industrial
leaders will be dinner guests at
6:30 p. m., Thursday, February
2nd, for dedication observances.
Speaker for the affair is Sidney
Hall, vice-president of the Potomac
Light and Power Co., Washington,
D.C. Mr. Hall will fly in from
Washington for the event.
Chairman of the Thursday din
ner, whi will open the branch
doors to dozens of civic, social and
industrial leaders, is Paul Broer,
**■*--—--'t
SPECIAL
YMCA
EDITION
A dream will come true for the YMCA and the people
of East Cleveland at 3:00 p. m. Sunday. That time marks
the beginning of the official ceremonies of dedication for
the sparkling new East Cleveland Branch “Y” building at
1831 Lee blvd. Dedication observances for the $175,000 struc
ture will run through the following Sunday, with a special
YWCA observance scheduled for Tuesday, February 7th.
Dedication Week is made up of specific “days” and
“nights” honoring various segments of the civic, service,
business, church, and educational groups of the community.
Keynoting Sunday’s official ceremonies is Fred Ramsey,
long-time “Y” layman and Cleveland business leader. Tours,
teas, receptions and dinners will continue throughout the
nine-day celebration.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
DEDICATION WEEK
SUNDAY, January 29, 1956
Ceremony of Dedication
3:00 P. M., Stanley Webster, Chairman
MONDAY, January 30, 1956
Teachers’ Tea
3:30 P. M., Dr. Otto J. Korb, Chairman
7:00 P. M., Rededication Program for
Hi-Y, Jr. Hi-Y, Gra-Y, Gordon C.
Esch, Chairman
TUESDAY, January 31, 1956
Mothers’ Tea
2:00 P.M., Mrs. Glenn Kitson, Chairman
Sustaining Membership Dinner
12:30 P. M., Norman Towsend, Chairman
The modernistic new facilities include an all-purpose
room, modem banquet kitchen, lounge, office space, four
club rooms, craft room, two large basement rooms and wash
rooms. Furnishings are modem and functional, designed for
use by all ages. A large parking area will provide ample
parking for the expanded facilities and growing member
ship of the East Cleveland Branch. The present branch
house, adjoining the new structure, will be razed to make
even more room for parking and future expansion. The struc
ture is engineered to allow for the addition of gymnasium
or pool facilities.
Outside Groups To
Continue At YM
In addition to the regularly
sponsored Y activities, a number
of outside groups meet at the Y
house at times that do not conflict
with the Y’s own schedule. Sc~*n
of these groups, the service ch
meet weekly. Others meet once or
twice a month.
These groups include: Kiwanis
of East Cleveland East ClevelnM
Exchange Club 37th Division V'
erans Christian Science Monitor
Youth Forum Woman’s W-i4i
Club East Cleveli 1 Philatelic
Society Boston
D.A.V. Auxiliary Jay
worth Investment Club
Mothers.
v.rier Club
Hollins
DeMolay
are
Men’s Civic Forum
Dance group, Cleveland Society of
Model Engineers YWCA Co-Eds
East Cleveland Hard of Hearing
Club Promendadors (Square dance
club).
operator of Paul’s Restaurant, hi
East Cleveland.
Rev. Earle C. Hochwald, pastor
of the East Clev' ind Congrega
-nal Church w.„ offer the in
v ation.
“The v Young Men’s Christian
Association helps to provide whole
some and worthwhile character
building activities for our young,
people.*

xml | txt