Newspaper Page Text
•o Mail Addresses Business: 814 East 152nd Street Phone: GLenville I *4383 News: 14600 Euclid Avenue Apt. 302 All Children To Get Salk Vaccine Through School Plans for Cleveland’s second im munization of school children for protection against polio are well underway. The dates will be an nounced by Dr. James P. Winkler, director of health as soon aa con sent cards, already distributed to parents have been returned and processed. This schedule, states Dr. Wink ler, is for all children, first through twelfth grades. Children who are due for their second or third Salk vaccine shot at ap proximately the same time as this particular schedule, are to be in cluded in this program, according to an announcement made by Dr. Winkler. About 1,500 children here received two shots in a previ ous mass immunization program through the schools. About 7,600 consent slips were sent to parents of public and parochial schools earlier this week, since no child may be immunized without the written consent of the parents. Sparked by the Cleveland Academy of Medicine, which is urging Salk vaccine for all chil dren up to 20 years of age, 25 school districts in the county are lining up their schedules. East Cleveland’s program was launched last Friday when Dr. Winkler met with Dr. O. J. Korb, Dr. O. J. Korb, superintendent of Schools Dr. Orr Falls, head of the board of education medical staff, and Dr. James P. Winkler, East Cleveland Director of Health, plan immunization of more than 600 East Cleveland school children. I HAT In East Cleveland an appeal for clothing, bed etc. for Hungarian refugees In ding in our midst, The Steeple, a publi cation of the East Cleveland Con gregational Church aptly states: “All of us have useful articles we have put away for use ‘someday’— delve into those closets—someone needs them ‘today’.” Practically every church is ap pealing for these items in an effort to help these courageous people. Delve into your closets, your trunks --today! If the breeze on which a $3,689 check fluttered into the hands of Mrs. Patricia Pines, held the breath of a whisper, the secret of how it got there would be out. The check, issued by the Glenville Paper Co., of 1026 Woodland rd., and sup posedly in the mails, was turned over to the proper person by Mrs. Pines who gleaned the phone book to locate him. Chief of Police H. S. Weaver warns each and every motorist to be particularly careful in this changeable weather. A too quick turn, a bit over the posted speed could prove mighty disastrious. Take it easy, he urges. Shaw to be afternoon’s hour long the audience that excellence of the Last Sundaj’ concert was an remembered by thrilled to the program. Congratulations to every one who made the program pos sible. Boy Scouts will don their uni forms all next week in observance of the organization’s 47th birth day. Birthday parties will feature get-togethers and window displays about town will tell a part of the scouting story. V The ten Exchange Club bowlers who traveled to Columbus for a state tourney made fifth place. Good work for hobby keglers. Police and firemen especially, and all other city employees are all smiles. They got a pay raise, some got hour cuts, some got both. Everybody’s happy. IT CLEVEL VJ J3KARZ 84101 EUCLH) EAST CLEVwlAr’: 0. Dr. superintendent of schools, and Orr Falls, director of the school’s medical staff. This Monday, Dr. Winkler and Miss Helen Smith, health com missioner, attended a county-wide meeting at whifh Mr. Earl O. Wright, chief of administration in the Ohio Department of Health stated that Cuyahoga County is the only county in Ohio planning a similar spring program. He also said this county had used one sixth of the state’s polio vaccine. Pre-schoolers and persons over 20, are asked to get their shots from their own physicians. Par ents of young children are espe cially urged to get Salk vaccine be fore the beginning of the polio season. The local program, states Dr. Winkler will be administered jointly by the Department of Health, the Board of Education and the City of East Cleveland. In tonight’s Mother’s March, the volunteers will hand out a Vaccine Family Record Card for a check on children’s polio shots. In 1956 there were 63 new polio cases in the county. There are now, 1,258 polio victims receiving aid from the Cuyahoga County Chap ter of the National Foundation for Infantile Paralysis. Six Major City Jobs This Year The year 1957 is going to be a busy year for the city’s Engineer ing Department, and consequently r'dd much to the city’s general wel fare and recreational opportunities. At least six major projects are on the boards, awaiting favorable weather to get underway. In addition there are the con tinuing programs which keep extra summer crews on the jobs for the Engineering Department and its Playgrounds and Parks, Forestry’ and Sidewalk Divisions. Here are the jobs that will mean much to the city’s wellbeing for years to come, many of them being made possible through two bond issues given the overwhelming sup port of the electorate last year: 1. City Hall addition. 2. Fire Station No. 1 addition. 3. Removal of existing wall, erection of new wall and widening of pavement at the southwest comer of Superior and Euclid aves. 4. Wreck city houses on Beers ford Place (to provide parking area for City Hall) and on Shaw ave. (to clear site for new playground). 5. Proposed relief sewer from Woodworth ave., from Hayden to East 144th st. 6. Shaw ave. playground devel opment drain and grade site lay out and build two baseball dia monds, parking lot, building and ice skating rink, fence, small chil dren’s playlot, Bruder place, Coit rd. Estimated costs in each of the above listed projects cannot be de termined until each bid is in. One of the first jobs to be given attention is completion of the 90% completed Locker House at Shaw Field Pool. Scheduled for comple tion last August, delays were due to a steel strike and subsequent un forseen circumstances. It is ex pected to have the building ready for opening of Shaw field early in June. One of the continuing projects is that of sidewalk repair. Each Spring a field survey determines the location and amount of repair needed. Property owners are no tified and given the choice of hav ing the work done or turning it over to the city, which lets the job out on contract. Payment is due 30 days after completion, a condition taken advantage of by 90% of the property owners. The other 10% find the cost on their next tax bill, with a 10% added charge. Call GL 1-3425 Persons having, business with the East Cleveland YWCA Cen ter will please call them at GL. 1-3425, beginning with Friday, February 1st. This ia moving week for the YWCA which leaves its two store front on Euclid ave., to join the YMCA at 1831 Lee rd. Both programs will be managed from the joint headquarters. Boy Scouts To Launch Capital Fund Campaign Te enable the Cuyahoga County Council of Boy Scouts to provide the facilities and Ute personnel to keep pace with the mounting num bers of boys coming into the scout program, the Welfare Federation of Cleveland haa authorized the Council to launch a $1,100,000 capital improvements campaign. Included in this figure is the sum of $100,000 to replace the proceeds ordinarily secured through the an nual Boy Scout sustaining member ship. This year, 37,000 Cubs, Boy Scouts and Explorers will enroll in a total of 885 separate units, an increase of 67% since 1950. By 1960 the figure will skyrocket to 50,000 boys. Judge Stanton Addams, chair man for East Cleveland, announces a briefing session for workers on Monday, February 4th at 8 p. m. in Shaw High School Auditorium. The 150 workers will start their calls on some 800 prospective con tributors. Judge Addams announces three co-chairmen, E. R. Kapitzky, 1907 Rosemont rd., Wm. E. Dearth, 2086 Taylor rd. and J. Durant Mix, 1279 Melbourne rd. Mr. Kapitzky will have as vice chairmen, James Petit, 13905 Orin oco ave. and Patrick O’Malley, 13312 Fifth ave. Working with Mr. Dearth will be Ed. J. Henry, 1962 Nelawood Douglas Compondu, 17224 Hillsboro Earl H. Miller, 16304 Nelaview and Russell Rieg ler, 14689 Euelid ave. Mr. Mix will have as hia vice chairman, R. R. McGuire, 1757 Hower ave., and Richard Stafford, 13561 Euclid ave. campaign in Mrs. E. R. Secretary for the East Cleveland is Kapitzky. states that Chairman Addams this first such campaign for the Boy Scout movement in Greater Cleveland will enable the expan sion of all services being cramped by the steady growth in member ship. City Inspections Reach New High Inspections of all kinds were upped by the Sanitary, Weights and Measures department of the city in 1957. These ran from 429 inspections of grocery stores over 211 the previous year, to 483 routine rat check-ups over 361 the year before. This increased activity was due to an enlarged force. The whole paid off in an exceptionally good year, healthwise and cleanli ness wise all around. Every business handling food in any manner comes under inspec tions by this department. Included also are barber shops, beauty shops, motion picture houses and drug stores. During the year 147 dog bites reported (106 in 1956), 59 canines were picked up by the Animal Protective League and 147 found themselves in a kennel until their owners located them. East Cleve land maintains a continuing ban on dogs running loose. Scales, in stores, gasoline sta tions and trucks, come in for addi tional inspections. All stores handling pre-packaged meals were checked monthly for accuracy in marking the weight on the pack age. Despite the elimination of the stamping of each piece of poultry, since this inspection is now made prior to delivery, the city makes a periodic check. Cage Carnival Tuesday Evening The East Cleveland YMCA Church Basketball League will sponsor a Carnival on Tuesday, February Sth with Windermere Methodist, first round winner, meeting a team from the Heights league. In a second game an all star team selected from the other players will meet another outside team yet to be chosen. Games will start at 7:30 and 30 p. m. at Stroup Hall, in the Church, 8 Windermere Methodist Euclid at Holyoke aves. Torrence, announce Mr. and Mrs. Ronald 3341 Sylvanhurst rd., the birth of their first child, a boy, Ronald William, January 28th weight eight pounds ten ounces. Mrs. Torrence is the former Caro lyn Lange. East Cleveland Leader Published in Conjunction with The SCOOP in Northeast Cleveland and The News-Journal In Euclid Volume No. 18—Iseue No. 5 East Cleveland Ohio 14.100 Circulation Guaranteed Thuredi cy. January 31, 1957 First United Drive Mrs. joint Mr. William Cleland and E. T. Tauch map the first Sustaining Membership Campaign of the YMCA and the YWU. The combined drive gets underway Sun day, February 3rd. For the first time since the YMCA and the YWCA have served in East Cleveland, these two as sociations with a common purpose —the serving of youth— are com bining their efforts in a joint Sus taining Membership Campaign. The campaign will open with a 12:30 dinner and workshop at the YMCA House on Sunday, February 3rd, after which some 200 workers will be calling on East Clevelanders for their 1957 pledges. The visita tion starting that same afternoon and continuing through the two weeks to follow. During the coming year, states William Cleland, membership co chairman with Mrs. E. J. Tauch of the YWCA, both Y’’s will be adding Full Cooperation Spells Success It has been said that PTAs have a way of starting in high gear in the elementary grades, gradually losing speed as they pass each milestone along the way, and running out of steam as they coast into Senior High. Shaw High PTA went a long way toward disproving this theory Saturday night when they staged their Parent Teacher Student dance. Every family represented at Shaw, around nine hundred in all, was phoned by a committee member and requested to support the dance. When told that the pur pose of the affair was to arouse interest in and support of a Social Room, the response was practically unanimous. The final count isn’t in yet, but figures to date indi cate that more than $600 will start a fund to equip this facility when it is made available. Following the phone contact, members delivered the tickets to the homes. An estimated 150 miles of driving was involved in this undertaking. A number of factors contributed to the overall success of the dance. These were complete cooperation of the school administration Rhythm Teens Bob Wilson the enthusiasm of Shaw Student Council, the student body and can teen East most PTA Budd which consisted of the entire board, put the project across. Sparked by Marion Swift, who organized the phoning and made assignments, the contacts were made. committee. Publicity in the Cleveland Leader played a important part. From the standpoint, the efforts of Andrews and his committee, An official PTA farewell to the graduating 12As, and welcome to the incoming lOBs was part of the evening’s festivities. The Mothers’ Choruses of Cale donia and Mayfair Schools will provide the musical portion of the service. Mr. Towner’s sermon will be “What Good is Tradition?” The vesper service, a means for all units to observe Founders’ Day, the official PTA birthday, is an innovation for Council, having been Originated by Mrs. B. G. Andrews, president, and Mrs. J. M. Neu- to their staffs to fill their greatly expanding programs. While both will headquarter in the same build ing, they will operate separately, so both can give better service, but more economically. Although the Y’s receive money from the Community Fund and modest membership dues are paid by the boys and the girls, Mr. Cle land explains that they must raise approximately 40 per cent of their budget by these Sustaining Mem berships. The 1957 combined bud get is an increase of 50 per cent over last year. Among the membership leaders serving under the YWCA banner will be Mrs. Mrs. E. Dana Glove, Mrs. Mrs. George Miller, Mrs. Robert H. Miller, Mrs. Frank E. Missbach, Mrs. L. L. Myers, Martin Levy, Mrs. Donald R. Oli ver, Mrs. R. R. Rendlesham, Mrs. Dewey Robinson, Mrs. H. Wilkin son, Mrs. Angela Vitae and Mrs. E. E. Lehmann. Charles Armstrong, Brooks, Mrs. Richard Donald E. Hubbell, Inman, Mrs. Davis Miss Roxie Lodge, Mrs. Bill Cleland, the YMCA Member ship Drive Chairman, has named three vice-chairmen for the year’s drive. They are Sterling Apthorp, Don Barclay and Norman Town send. Paul Broer, R. R. Rendlesham, Wilbur LaGanke, William Halliday, Henry Rubner and Harry Willert are captains reporting to Mr. Ap thorp, who is also chairman of the YMCA Board of Managers. Working with Don Barclay will be these six team captains: Stanley G. Webster, Al Hancock, Edward McCaskey, Bernard Keister, George Keith, and W. J. Kutcher. Dr. L. L. Meyers, Robert Kraber, Charles Rendlesham, Dr. Homer Alexander, Howard Griffiths and Ralph Peckinpaugh will be workers with Mr. Townsend. Each worker will be calling on approximately ten persons. Hence the small army of 270 workers will contact nearly 2700 fatailies of East Cleveland. “Anyone wishing to aid the Ys in this, their first joint member ship campaign, may call Mrs. Fern Dorrocci or Gordon Esch at GL. 1 3425. Mrs. Dorrocci is the executive secretary of the YWCA, Mr. Esch is executive secretary of the YMCA. Canteen Welcomes The New 7B’s The new 7Bs will be welcomed this Friday evening to the St. Paul’s Episcopal Church canteen, this being the first canteen session this new term. The hours are from 7:30 to 10:30 p. m. On the chaperone list for the evening are Mr. and Mrs. R. M. Serota, Mr. and Mrs. F. C. Bond jr., Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Donato, Mr. and Mrs. William H. Pfahl. Vesper Hour For All PTA Units Is Founders Day Obiervance Innovation All families and teachers in East Cleveland are invited to celebrate 60 years of the parent teacher movement at a vesper service at East Cleveland Baptist Church, Sunday afternoon, February 10th, at 4:00 p. m. The Rev. William E. Towner, minister-in-charge and president of Kirk PTA will of ficiate. bauer, program chairman. The parent teacher movement was officially begun in Washing ton, D.C. in 1897 by Mrs. Theodore W. Birney and Mrs. Phoebe Apper son Hearst. East Cleveland Coun cil was organized in January, 1924 with Mrs. C. W. Coppersmith as its first president. At the time, Prospect, Superior and Caledonia Schools had groups affiliated with the National Congress of Parents and Teachers. Rozelle, Mayfair and Chambers Schools had non-affili ated groups which helped to organ ize Council, and formed official connections with National almost immediately thereafter. Chorus directors for the vesper service are Mrs. Milford C. Myles for Caledonia and Mrs. Robert Winkler for Mayfair. Polio March Here Tonighf Starting off this year’s Mothers March contributions are two gifta which can always ba counted on, reports Chairman Stanton Addams. These checks are a $700 gift from the Manager-Employee Plant Community Relations Department at the Ivanhoe rd. plant of the General Electric Co. and, a $351.58 check from Shaw High School, the allocation from its All School Fund Campaign. How important is this con tinuing treatment for polio vic tims is emphasized in the fact that when Miss Beverly Bouzy, 19, of 1304 Eddy rd. left here Saturday for Warm Springs, she was in a particular happy mood. It was her first trip south, alone. With good weather, tonight’s Mothers March should be com pleted within the hour, 7 to 8. Every porch light should be on too as the volunteers, with auxiliary police, veterans and other groups as escorts, trudge up and down walks and porch steps, to collect contributions to assure polio victims of every needed aid to recovery, and to continue the search for a means of quick polio diagnosis. John D. Walworth Heads Library Board At the annual meeting of the East Cleveland Library Board, held on January 21st, the following officers were elected: Mr. John D. Walworth, president Mrs. Harriet W. Baldau, vice-president Mr. Paul H. Rice, clerk. Mr. Ralph Comey. Jr., appointed by the Board of Education to suc ceed Mr. George Inman, was pres ent for the first time. Mr. Comey is an architect in the firm of Out calt, Guenther and Associates and lives at 13995 Superior rd. Other members of the Board are: Mrs. Lewis H. Jones, Mr. Ralph H. Osborne, and Mr. Ernest J. Tauch. DeMolays Install Norman Ditty As Master Councilor V? I Norman A. Ditty The ninety-first public installa tion of officers of Heights Chapter, Order of DeMolay, will be held on Friday, February 8th at 8:00 p. m. in Heights Masonic Temple, Lee and Mayfield rd. in Cleveland Hts. James Ellis, a student at West ern Reserve University will be the installing officer. To be installed as Master Coun cilor is Norman A. Ditty, 17, a member of last week’s graduating class at Shaw High School and the son of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Ditty, residing at 986 Whitby rd., Cleveland Heights. Serving with the incoming coun cilor will be Ernest W. Strodback, a senior at Shaw, as Senior Coun cilor, and Henry R. Chakford, a junior at Heights Hi, as Junior Councilor. Following this impressive cere mony there will be refreshments and dancing. Completing the list of officers will be: Chaplain, Ronald R. Eg bert Senior Deacon, Gary R. Henninge Junior Deacon, Peter Minogue Marshall, James W. Stevens Orator, Gary DeWyre Senior Steward, Richard A. Seese Junior Steward, Donald Petersen First Preceptor, Russel C. Crouch er Second Preceptor, Joseph Caile Third Preceptor, David T. Kwas ney Fourth Preceptor, Richard A. Hennie Fifth Preceptor, Robert A. Lowe Sixth Preceptor, Roger J. Ditty Seventh Preceptor, Victor Nelson Standard Bearer, Harold Albrect Almoner, Robert Houser Sentinel, Raymond Yuhasz Parli mentarian, Robert H. Kretzer. The ceremony is open to the public. Born to Mrs. John C. Kimer Sr., 1655 Hower ave., a boy, January 14th, John Charles. Shorter Hours Mean More Men In Police And Fire Departments An average Increase in salaries and wages from two to four per cent, fewer hours for policemen, firemen and office employees, will cost the city an added $100,000 this year. The new wages and salaries and the organizational changes in the Police and Fire De partments were authorized by the City Commission Tuesday evening through a number of enacted or dinances and resolutions. There won’t be any question about meeting these added expen ditures, Finance Director G. T. Apthorp announcing “the money is available.” Of this $100,000 about $33,000 represents wage increases and $67,000 represents additional po lice and firemen to meet the changes in these departments. The Fire Department, .for instance, will be increased from 37 to 43 men. one of which will be a lieutenant. The salary schedule is based on a 56-hour week (1 day on—2 days off) October to June. During the June- October period, the schedule calls for a 72-hour week, the added hours to com pensate for vacations and at the same time, maintain the full de partment strength. The police receive a five-day 40-hour week, requiring an in crease from 56 to 63 men. in cluding one additional captain and one additional sergeant. To meet the need for additional City Pampers Its 2,169 Elms There are seven “Continue to” on the summer’s agenda for the city’s Forestry Division. Each deals with trees, directly or in directly. The city will continue to check the condition of its own trees and give special attention to the elms. Listed, as the crews move along, will be any elms on private prop erties which appear to need at tention. The city has 1,943 elms on its streets and 526 elms in its parks, and counted all together here last year were 2,469 trees of this beau tiful variety. Owners of elms are reminded to check their trees often and carefully for any indication of disease. Last year the city removed 20 city-owned diseased elm trees and property owners removed 14 28 trees of all varieties were re paired and 2,961 trees of all kinds were sprayed. Crews trimmed 664 trees. Each summer more trees are planted than are removed, last year 171 Columnar maples, Cleve land maples and American Hop thombean trees were set out on tree lawns. All trees now being planted are the new varieties recommended by the National Tree Conference as conducive to “city living.” The city lost 57 trees through storm damage, automobile damage or other causes, other than Dutch Elm disease. Do You Remember The Cow At Shaw? This interesting letter came to the editor’s desk this week. The Barry’s winter in Daytona Beach. Mr. Barry is a retired postal employee. Sometime ago there was an article in the Leader of a Hallo ween when students persuaded a cow to climb the steps to the second floor of old Shaw High. Recently while talking to a man at First Methodist Church in Daytona Beach, I learned he had lived in East Cleveland as a lad. Harry H. Harper lived on Euclid ave. at the Y where the old street cars turned to return. He was a freshman at Shaw and one of the younger boys following the older ones in helping the cow up the stairs. He thinks it was in 1906. During that year, he, along with other boys left school to dash over to Collinwood School dur ing the fire. He assisted the ambu lance men. Those are his memories of East Cleveland. He cannot re member the names of the other Halloween pranksters. Not long after, he came to Daytona Beach and settled here. He is and has been, a pillar of the First Metho dist Church of Daytona Beach. Sincerely, Mrs. Jack Barry Receives Pin Miss Angela Mimides, 1361 Hay den ave., recently was awarded the five-year service pin by the East Ohio Gas Company. A typist in the Cleveland Com mercial Division of the comj ly. Miss Mimides joined East uuio in 1952. CALL NEWS to PO. 1-3378 men in these two departments, the Civil Service Commission will hold examinations in the very near future. The new order of things for the Fire Department is effective June 1st and for the policemen, August 1st. Office employees will now en joy a five-day week, the policy of a skeleton force on Saturday mornings, having been dropped. An increase of 25c was voted for dance permits, bringing them to $9.00. The Commission authorized ad vertising for bids for an aerial ladder for the Fire Department, estimated cost, $50,000. The salary ordinance will be found on another page in this issue. $10,000 Goal For Red Cross Mrs. Charles Richards Mrs. Charles R^hards, 1851 Sheldon-rd., has' been appointed East Cleveland Red Cross Fund chairman for the 1957 drive, March 3rd through 18th. This is Mrs. Richards’ second year in this Red Cross assignment. East Cleveland's goal is $10,000. Last year the community raised $9,705 and the chairman expresses every hope that East Cleveland will this year make its goal. Co-chairman for this year’s drive is Mrs. Lloyd T. Will, 1312 East 142nd st. Assisting as School area chairman are: Mrs. L. A. Rick, 1868 Rosalind ave., lower Superior Mrs. Russell S. McGinnis, 16009 Brew ster rd., Caldonia Mrs. Phillip Saunders, 1866 Taylor rd.. Pros pect Mrs. Aron Newberg, 1542 Luxor rd., Upper Superior Mrs. Nicholas Markus, 14009 Bardwell ave., Mayfair Mrs. Andrew Kocur, 1240 North Lockwood ave., Rozelle Mrs. Albert L. Fisher, 14217 Strathmore ave., Chambers. Active in Red Cross for ten years going on eleven this cam paign, Mrs. Richards counts Red Cross her one and only civic ac tivity. She serves on the executive board of the East Cleveland Red Cross branch. The Richards have three chil dren, Marion, 13, Bruce, 15, and Barbara, 22. East Cleveland has long had an active Red Cross Blood Program and its benefits are widely felt throughout the community. Since the start of the program in 1951. East Cleveland has supported 18 mobile units and haa donated 1,906 pints of blood. Red Cross Water Safety and First Aid has been of special im portance to East Cleveland and the programs grow appreciably each year, according to Red Cross head quarters. The overall goal this year is $1,347,454 an increase of $29,000 over last year’s goal. According to Mrs. Richards. “Red Cross must keep pace with the nations rapid growth and shifts in population and still continue to meet the people's safety and health needs in such communities as ours. Red Cross has to meet its disaster emergen cies and support the blood program as well as carry on its wide service to the nearly 3,000,000 men in uniform.” More than 28 per cent of the local budget raised in the annual March campaign, or some $223,827 of the $784,028 retained for local chapter activities, is earmarked for the Red Cross blood program. Dur ing the next fiscal year some 46,000 pints of blood will be collected and distributed to 32 local hospitals including two veterans hospitals. For first Aid and Water Safety and Home Nursing, 12 per cent, or $66,815 of the local budget will be set aside. In the coming year it ia estimated that 20,000 persons will successfully complete educational co—‘es in First Aid and Water Sa-^.y and 4,000 persons will be trained as Home Nurses.