OCR Interpretation


East Cleveland leader. [volume] (East Cleveland, Ohio) 1942-1970, February 07, 1957, Image 1

Image and text provided by Ohio History Connection, Columbus, OH

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83035682/1957-02-07/ed-1/seq-1/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for

Ik
Mail Addresses
Business:
814 East 152nd Street
Phone: Glenville I -4383
News:
'4600 Euclid Avenue
Apt. 302
57 Building
Exceeds
$7,000,000
Despite the fact that it is one
of the older suburbs of the county,
and that its municipal boundary
lines are limited, East Cleveland
enjoyed a more than seven million
dollar building program in 1956.
The figures are in the annual
report of the Building Department
and in the City Manager’s annual
report to the City Commission.
To be more exact, the totals are
$6,308,726 for new construction
tor which 100 permits were issued
and $869,285 for repair, alteration
on 102 building permits. New con
struction in 1955 reached $3,650,
350. Repair alteration costs in
1955 were $310,540, on 102 per
mits.
Listed among the city’s larger
new construction in 1956 are:
Homes—45_______ $1,290,500
Apartments—2 ___ 235,500
Motels—2________ 850,000
Business—I _____ 158,000
Industry_________ 1,166,500
Of the 46 homes, 36 were
erected in the Forest Hill develop
ment. Two larger old homes in
excellent condition were remodeled
into two-family units. The motels,
Luxenburg & Sons, 14660 Euclid
and Eastown, 15103 Euclid, each
will offer 50 rooms for transients.
Opened also during the year was
The Town-Country Motel, Euclid
at Hastings, but this permit was
issued and listed in 1955.
Industry and business together
spent $3,223,500 for new construc
tion here in 1956 and more than
8155,000 for improvements of
various types. A wave of moderni
zation hit a number of smaller
businesses also. The sum total is
9 much improved appearance in
/ty areas of the city.
One new firm joins the city’s
business circle. It is the Micro
Photo filming company located in
its new home at 1712 Shaw ave.
and having the distinction of be
ing the first building designed for
this special service to be erected
in the state of Ohio.
During the year 39 buildings
were razed, the majority of them
being garages too small for to
day’s elongated automobiles.
N’
THAT
In East Cleveland
iAQT Cl CVcLAND LIBRA
•*SI CLfc ..
in­
Several bills were introduced
to the Ohio Legislature Tuesday,
among them, one by East Cleve
lander Anthony Calabrese. Mr.
Calabrese thinks all motor license
tags in Ohio should carry the
legend “Home of Presidents.”
It’s going to take some record
keeping to keep up on the current
calls on the public. This week the
Boy Scouts launched their first
capital improvements campaign
ever. Wednesday, East Cleveland
ers had a Blood Donor Day. Right
now schools are swamped checking
the Parents Consent blanks for
aftother round of polio immuniza
tion. Already announced is Heart
Sunday, February 24th, and the an
nual Red Cross drive early in
March. Last, but far from least, is
the current visitation for sustain
ing memberships for the YMCA
YWCA. The Mothers March leaders
are still checking results of their
last week’s porch light brigade.
Surely February, the shortest
month in the year is packed with
appeals all for betterment of the
people.
There are fine young people to
day, comments one of our lovely
ladies. She phoned to tell us about
her new young neighbor who has
quickly won the admiration of the
older folk of the neighborhood. On
a recent snowy day tha 13-year
old came to her rescue as she
trudged home with groceries. On
another occasion he gave a helping
hand with a rubbish can.
“There still are fine young
young folks” comments the lovely
iady, adding, but one just doesn’t
find this kind too often.”
•_
Ten young children who were
hearing their mothers talk about
the polio march, decided to do
their bit. They put their heads to
gether and came up with a pre
sentation of Hans and Gretel that
stretched out from one planned
performance to four. They took in
the big sum of $28.21 and were
they happy about that!
The busy little stars, Mary, Ted
and Janet Mann, Janet and Jim
Harley, Betty Cathcart, Geraldine
Orr, Susan Morris, Amy Clayman
and Meg Grottron set up their
stage in the recreation room at
the R. G. Harley residence, 15657
Wyatt rd.
avenue
J4101 iu.XIO
avenue
EAS1 vLEVELAND, O.
Name Co-Chairman
For Heart Sunday
Entering her fifth consecutive
year as chairman of the East Cleve
land participation in the Heart
Fund Drive, Mrs. Miles Phillips
announces a re-organization plan
under which co-chairmen will as
sist in the campaign.
Volunteers willing to serve in the
campaign Sunday afternoon, Feb
ruary 24th are requsted to contact
one of the following co-ehairmen:
Mrs. E. E. Hageman, 16017 Nela
mere, GL. 1-0275 Mrs. K. A. Roth
ermel, 1639 Holyoke, MU. 1-1625
Mrs. Myron Schaffer, 13508 Wood
worth rd., MU. 1-3475 Mrs.
Dorothy Harty, 1345 East 142nd
st., LI. 1-3798 Mr. and Mrs. Stan
ley Logan, 13611 Terrace rd.,
1-3672.
GL.
Kastilahn Heads
Crime Prevention
Week Activities
The appointment of a general
chairman to direct National Crime
Prevention Week activities, Febru
ary 10th-16th, was announced to
day by Dr. R. J. Stahl, president
of the Exchange Club of East
Cleveland, local sponsors of the
observance.
Charles Kastilahn, named as
chairman, issued a prompt appeal
to all residents of East Cleveland
to take an active interest in the
crime problem and to participate
in the week’s activities. “The
theme of this year’s observance,”
said chairman Kastelahn, ‘Law
lawness—A Major Threat to Our
Way of Life!’, is a warning direct
from the lips of FBI Director J.
Edgar Hoover. Who could ask for
further proof of the need for im
mediate action against crime and
juvenile delinquency?”
Chairman Kastilahn went on
to say that the steady upswing in
crime statistics during the last
few year, “indicates an imperative
need for greater and more deter
mined public participation in the
fight against the hoodlum element,
if those statistics are to be re
duced to more controllable levels.”
Sunday, February
mark the beginning of
annual observance of
Crime Prevention Week
out the United States,
day on the 7-day observance cal
endar has been designated as Go
To-Church Sunday. In an appeal
for record church attendance by
East Cleveland residents. Crime
Prevention chairman Kastilahn
emphasized the importance of
regular church attendance as a
deterrent to crime and juvenile
delinquency.
“The church, along with the
home and the school, is one of the
three major bulwarks against the
encroachments of crime on our
society,” he said. “Our nation’s
stand against the criminal element
is greatly dependent on the com
bined strength of all three. Everjr
churchgoer helps to strengthen
and assure the continued benefici
ent influence the church brings to
bear on the problem.
Among the observances will be
spot announcements over the air
waves with East Clevelanders
participating.
Pedestrian Hurt
45
$
with
In Huron Road Hospital
fractured left ribs and lacerations
of the scalp is Clara Leischer, 63,
of 12917 Waterson ave., Cleveland.
She was knocked down by an
automobile as she attempted to
cross Euclid ave at Superior. The
driver was not held.
Contest On For '57
Miss Student Nurse
Miss Florence Marolt will repre
sent the Huron Road School of
Nursing in the annual Miss Stu
dent Nurse of 1957 contest spon
sored by the Student Nurse Or
ganization of Cleveland and Elyria.
Each contestant must give a
five-minute original presentation
on “The Realm of Nursing.”
The contest is being staged to
night at St. John’s College audi
torium.
New Officers For ECBA
■i
What is a birthday without a
birthday cake. Here Kenneth
Whiteman, incoming president of
the East Cleveland Business As
sociaiton, and Mrs. Wilbur Law
rence, pinch hitting for her hus
band, the retiring president, pose
with the birthday cake at their
22nd annual installation dinner.
Mr. Lawrence is at home, con
valesing from recent surgery.
Program Entertainment, Joseph
Serving with President Ken
Whiteman as the official 1957
ECBA staff are: Left to right—
J. Durant Mix, corresponding sec
retary Jack Wise, vice president
Miss Geraldine Croley, treasurer
and Joseph
tary.
Eckel, financial secre-
Webster, director of
City of East Cleveland
Stanley
10th will
the 10th
National
through-
Opening
law for the
was the installing officer at the
22nd annual dinner of the East
Cleveland Business Association
held Tuesday, January 29th in the
home of East Cleveland Post 163
American Legion.
Assuming their new duties were:
Kenneth Whiteman, president
Jack L. Wise, vice president Jo
seph Eckel, financial secretary
J. Durant Mix, corresponding sec-
the East
shows a
services,
A statistical report of
Cleveland Public Library
good use of the library
reports Miss Sarah E. Miller,
librarian.
In her 1957 report just released,
Miss Miller shows an inventory of
17,815 volumes, 47,569 pamphlets,
47,671 pictures and 916 records in
the Music Listening Room.
Enjoying these facilities in 1957
were 18,378 registered borrowers,
or 41.4% of the population of the
East Cleveland School District,
that the area serviced by the East
Cleveland Public Library. The
heavy users at the W. H. Kirk Jr.
High School and
School branches,
would raise this
ably.
the Shaw High
if registered,
count consider-
out 369,520 vol-
Borrowers took
umes during the year, a high per
capita of 8.32%. Shut-ins received
1,341 books.
A necessarily incomplete report,
states Miss Miller, shows that
40,534 reference questions were
answered at the main library, the
North Branch (Hayden ave.) and
the Caledonia Branch (Caledonia
ave.).
In the revamping of physical
facilities of the library with the
addition of the new wing, a num
ber of added facilities were made
available. How popular are these
services is reflected in th 1,112
times serious students have hied
themselves away in an individual
study room, ,the 522 times various
organizations have enjoyed the
meeting rooms, and 521 individ
uals who have spent happy hours
in the Music Listening Room.
The auditorium has proved a
popular meeting place. During
1956 the free 36 movie programs
)o You Want To
earn To Swim?
Must you refuse invitations that
include swimming because you do
not swim? Well, it needn’t happen
again. Starting Saturday, Febru
ary 3rd and continuing through
March 16th, the YWCA is offer
ing private swimming instruction
to adult and junior women.
A reservation to GL. 1-3425 will
be necessary to get a place in one
of the two periods of instruction
which carries the nominal fee of
$1.50 and requires a current YW
Health and Membership Card.
Call GL. 1-3425 for any further
information.
■A
East Cleveland Leader
Published in Conjunction with The SCOOP in Northeast Cleveland and The Newsjournal in Euclid
Volume No. 18—bsuo No. 6 East Cleveland Ohio 14.100 Circulation Guaranteed Thursday, February 7, 1957
retary and Miss Gerry Croley,
treasurer.
Trustees for one year are: Dr.
John A. Stahl, Paul Broer. Alfred
Norwick and Wilbur C. Lawrence.
Two-year trustees are Al Cutler,
George Nelson, Fred Lange, Rollin
Rendlesham.
Speaker of the evening was
Major Carl L. Sitter, USMC, who
spoke on experiences in Korea.
President Whiteman announced
the following committee chairmen:
Program Entertainment, Joseph
Eckel Nominating, Wilbur Law
rence Visiting and Sunshine, Jo
seph Aveni Public Affairs, Stan
ton Addams House, Robert
Thompson Publicity, Ralph Hep
ner Grievance, Wilbert Baum
gartner Membership, Jack Wise
Food, Nick Herak: Auditing, Al
Norwick Sports, Harry Martin
Constitution and By-Laws, Dr.
John A. Stahl Lake Erie Interna
tional Vacationland Association,
Karl Brown.
The association meets Tuesday,
February 12th at 8:30 in the Com
mission Chamber, City Hall. All
business and professional men
and women employed in or resid
ing in East Cleveland are invited
to attend the meetings and become
members.
41.4 Per Cent Of East Clevelanders
Use Facilities Of The Public Library
attracted 2,225 persons. Six extra
travel talks with slides or movies,
given
other
joyed
by East Clevelanders and
friends of library, were en
by near capacity audiences.
Former Resident
Is Crash Victim
Mrs. James Hay of 14408 Orinoco
ave. is home from Bethlehem, Pa.,
where she attended the funeral of
her son-in-law, Walter W. Miller,
28. Mrs. Miller is
Carol Hay.
plane crashed within
of the Pierre airport,
fog. All three aboard
A graduate of Lafayette College,
Mr. Miller, an engineer, was form
erly employeed by General Motors
Co. here. Last April, he and Mrs.
Miller, went to Oklahoma City
where he was in the sales depart
ment of Butler & Sparks, equip
ment contractors.
He was the only child of Mr.
and Mrs. Walter W. Miller, sr., of
Bethlehem, Pa., who accompanied
Mrs. Miller to her home, 3733 NW
59th st., Coronado Heights, Okla
homa City, Okla, this week for an
indefinite stay.
Found Guilty On
Rat Harbor Charge
Found guilty of maintaining
at harbor, Mrs. Victoria Checknas,
14200 Mayfair ave., was fined $200
and costs following a hearing Sat
urday, February 2nd.
According to the investigating
officers, three notices had been
given the defendant prior to the
swearing out of a warrant on De
cember 26th. Mrs. Checknas occu
pies the second floor of a two
family dwelling.
It was charged that rats found
harbor in an accumulation of lum
ber, bricks etc. under a rear porch,
under a garage and in a yard where
debris was permitted to accumulate.
Born to Mrs. Donald C. Hale,
1093 East 125th st., a boy, Janu
ary 21st, Donald Bichard.
Carelessness
By Smokers
On Increase
Careless smokers caused 41’£%
of all the reported fires in East
Cleveland in 1956. This startling
figure is shown in the department’s
annual report. It is an increase
from 26% in 1955, the lowest per
centage smoker-caused fires year
since 1953 when the rate went
to 33%.
As a result, Chief Fred W. Lange
urges all smokers' to exercise care
with matches and cigarettes.
A total of 517 alarms came in
during the year. Of these 18 were
false alarms, and 51 needless. The
“needless” classification, it is ex
plained, includes calls where there
actually exists a fire, but which
fire has either been extinguished
or is under control when the de
partment arrives. “However,” adds
the chief, “don’t hesitate if there is
a fire! It’s wise to take no
with a blaze.”
Cuts Thumb
the former
business as
and one as
Mr. Miller and two
sociates, one as pilot
co-pilot, of a privately owned plane,
were enroute from Okalahoma
City, Oklahoma, to Pierre, South
Dakota on a business trip January
16th. The
eight miles
in a heavy
were killed.
chances
for the
rescue
This was the first year
department’s home made
truck. The inside arrangement of
equipment was designed by the
fire fighters. The bright red panel
truck answered 280 calls, some for
the fire department and some for
the traffic division of the police
department.
en
at
The value of buildings
dangered by fire is listed
$6,340,225. Insurance carried
$5,234,425. But the actual fire
was kept to a low $22,200, or 551'2
cents per capita on the city’s 40,000
inhabitants.
was
loss
Among the inventory items is
hose, 8,000 feet of it. The depart
ment’s own need is about 6»00 feet,
the extra being a Civil Defense
reserve.
Each year the department pur
chases 500 feet new hose, turning
the oldest hose length over to the
Service Department for use on
streets, playgrounds, and parks.
This program keeps the depart
ment constantly equipped with safe
hose.
East Cleveland fire fighters
maintain a continuing improve
ment program. During this past
year, Lieut. Joseph Miklich, Lieut.
Martin C. Zagorc and Lieut. Fen
ton L. Moore completed special
courses and in turn served as in
structors for these courses for their
fellow workers.
An interesting paragraph is
tucked away in the report. It lists
the visits of 578 young people,
Scouts, Camp Fire, school and
church school boys and girls who
have visited Fire Stations No. 1 on
Marloes st., or Station
Shaw ave., and been
through the stations.
No. 2 on
conducted
wee folk
Invariably one of the
has found himself atop a big
truck, with an invitation to ring the
bell to the delight of
present.
everyone
of food
Gavriluk
While opening a can
Sunday noon, Mrs. Anna
cut her thumb. She was treated
at Huron Road Hospital, two
stitches being necessary to close
the wound.
A double celebration marked the
golden wedding anniversary of
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Cartmell.
They had a family diner party on
Saturday, February 2nd at Karl
Brown’s Cloonial Inn and an open
house on Sunday afternoon at their
home, 1718 Coit rd.
The couple were married in
Training Citizens For Tomorrow
Chief Aim Of Boy Scout Movement
Goal of the $1,100,000 Camp and
Council Development Fund of the
Greater Cleveland Boy Scouts,
launched this week, includes im
provement of existing facilities, to
gether with new camps to meet the
growing needs of the present 37,000
Boy Scouts and the hundreds of
boys waiting to enter scouting.
Heading the East Cleveland par
ticipation in this Welfare Federa
tion sponsored capital funds cam
paign is Stanton Addams, judge of
the East
Court.
“The test
community’s
Chairman Addams, “is in the man
ner in which it provides for and
safeguards its greatest resource—
it’s youth.”
“The upsurge of the boy popula
tion in this country has ressulted in
an alarming situation where only
20% of the boys of the land can
be a part of the Boy Scout move
ment. Inadequate facilities bar
thousands of boys. This situation is
directly related to both the Juvenile
and Adult delinquency problem. It
must be remedied, otherwise there
will be a marked deterioration in
the quality of our citizens of to
morrow.
“Boy Scouts are taught respect
for law, reverence for God and a
desire to aid their fellowmen. If
boys, generally, could be a part of
Cleveland Municipal
of a nation’s—and a
greatness,” states
Goal For Local
Y's Drive $23,000
With a combined goal of $23,000
to support the program of the
YWCA and the YMCA, both of
which are now established in the
new Y House, 1831 Lee rd., 140
men and women are, for the first
time, working shoulder to shoulder
in their joint fund raising event.
Within this and next week, they
will call at many of your homes
for a sustaining membership
pledge to the YMCA and
YWCA.
the
out
the
Dr. Howard Wells pointed
the need to guide and serve
and girls of East Cleveland
talk at the kick-off dinner
boys
in a
last
John
of the Greater Cleveland combined
YWCA-YMCA drive spoke from
the over-all picture of the need to
serve the youth of the county.
Music by the Shaw Octet added
to the inspirational program.
Sunday at the Y House.
AuWerter, a vice chairman
Demonstrate Eye
Test For Lions
for
Sightsaving is another word
the Lions Club. All of its activities
center on this one big purpose:
preservation of sight and aid to
the sightless.
At its Tuesday, February 12th
meeting at Owens Plantation, Dr.
Hart, member of the Berea club,
will give a live demonstration of
sye testing. Aiding will be a patient
who is receiving eye care. Present
also will be Arland Smith, presi
dent of the Cuyahoga County Sight
Council who will discuss the sight
saving project.
Because of the improtance of the
program, the Heights- Lion Club is
invited to attend this meeting at
6:45 p. m.
£4
Blackpool, England, January 31st,
1907, coming to Cleveland shortly
after.
They have five children, Mrs.
Mary Marble, Mrs. Marjorie Fobel,
Mrs. Helen Monschien, Mrs. Isa
belle Wiliams and a son, Richard.
There are 11 grandchildren and
six great-grandchildren.
this movement, we could indeed
have no fear of the future of our
Republic. No man or woman,
worthy of citizenship, will fail to
support this Boy Scout Develop
ment Program.”
In addition to the workers an
nounced in last week’s Leader, the
following team captains are an
nounced
Siegfried Stepneski, 1680 Hower
ave. Carl Price, 1366 East 141st
st. Robert Ledger, 3801 East 142nd
st. Robert W. Sullivan, 989 Selwyn
rd. Paul Green. 13311 Garden rd.
Robert Hall, 1836 Garfield rd. Al
bert Hospodar, 271 East 200 st.
J. A. Bolaney, 14708 Orinoco
Lyal A. Rick, 1865 Rosalind
Robert Shepley, 1889 Belmore
Francis Toomey, 1200 Carlyon rd.
George Cyphers, 1656 Lockwood
W. R. McGee, 2008 Hayden ave.
Thomas Harbaugh, 1835 Burnette.
Frank Huber, 1747 Allendale
C. V. Anderson, 990 Caledonia
Stephen G. Troychek, 960 Greyton
rd. Ernest Peterca, 16001 Nela
dale Charles Whitmore, 17614
Rock Circle dr.
Charles Tuma, 5201 Thomas rd.
A. F. Chroyer, 1835 Haldane S. A.
Jester. 1345 East 143rd st. Ed. P.
Coleman, 493 East 149th Emlyn
Jones, 14704 Dover Charles M.
Cowles, 934 Dresden Lewis Jones,
1025 Nelaview Thaddeus Washke
wicz, 950 Dresden.
New District
Churchman
Here Sunday
Windermere
presents as its speaker on Sunday,
February 10th, Dr. Carroll H.
Lewis, the new superintendent
of the Methodist District, com
prised of fifty churches in the
Greater Cleveland area.
Methodist Church
Dr. Lewis has a long and varied
experience as pastor, pilot in the
US Air Corps, hospital administra
tor, extended military service and
welfare worker.
Attending Wesleyan University
from 1913-15, he received his
degree from University of Cincin
nati in 1917. He attended Lane
Theological Seminary and holds
D. D. degrees from Miami and
Wesleyan Universities of Ohio.
Dr. Lewis was minister of Oakley
Methodist Church, and Superinten
dent of the Children’s Home and
of Christ Hospital in Cincinnati be
fore going to Middletown, Ohio
for a pastorate, and then back to
Hyde Park
Cincinnati.
Community Church,
Lewis was made Su
of Columbus White
Later Dr.
perintendent
Cross Hospital and from there
came to First Methodist Church in
Cleveland where he served as
pastor from 1948 to 1956.
The new District Superintendent
has an interesting World War II
record. He served on the staff of
the commanding general First US
Army in 1944. He was later Chief
Public Welfare Officer in charge of
refugees, displaced persons and
Allied prisoners of war, and was
in command of catpured concen
tration camps at Clermont, Dora
Nordhaussen, Kessel, Ordruf and
Buchenwald. He was awarded five
battle stars for campaigns in
France, Luxemborg, Holland and
Germany. He holds the rank of
Colonel and has the French Croix
du Guerre with Silver Star, and the
Bronze Star USA.
The new Cleveland District par
sonage is located at 15973 Cleviden
rd. in Forest Hills.
Urban Renewal Is
Council Discussion
4^''
Dinner, by reservation, will be
served at 6:30. The program at
8 is in the Cardinals nest. Pro
gram visitors only are welcomed,
also.
Election of officer* of the East
Cleveland Safety Council Monday
evening brings Ernest M. Krege
now to the post of president. He
succeeds Fred Henderson who has
long been head of the Council.
Other officers chosen for 1957
are: First Vice President, Ray
Vinborg, principal, Prospect Ele
mentary School Second Vice
President, Charles B. Logan,
representing the parochial schools
Secretary, Dr. J. Waide Price,
representing the East Cleveland
Community Council and Treas
urer, G. T. Apthorp, East Cleve
land’s director of finance. Dr.
Price and Mr. Apthorp held these
same offices last year.
A graduate of Akron University,
Mr. Kregenow is an insurance
broker, associated with Evarts
Tremaine-Flicker Co. He served
as chairman of the Kiwanis safety
committee for four years and was
Safety Council’s vice president in
1956. The Kregenows reside in
their own home, 14207 Scioto ave.
They have two sons, Floyd, a
senior at Rutgers University who
will enter Yale Medical School
next fall, and Allan, a freshman
at Ohio Wesleyan University.
Division chairmen are: Fire
Safety, Capt. Robert A. Bythway
of the East Cleveland Fire De
partment Home Safety, Mrs.
Budd Andrews, president East
Cleveland PTA Council Industrial
Safety, Robert J. Chessman of
General Electric Co. Public
Safety, H. S. Weaver, Chief of
East Cleveland Police Depart
ment Parochial School Safety,
Charles B. Logan and Public
School Safety, Raymond Vinborg.
Wiliam Billings, of the Greater
Cleveland Safety Council outlined
the 1957 program and discussed
the need for co-operation, among
the Councils for an active year
round program.
Commenting on the Greater
Cleveland Council services avail
able to all Councils in the area,
Mr. Billings explained that these
services are made possible by the
50c of each one dollar Green Cross
membership received yearly. The
other 50c remains with the Coun
cil conducting the separate mem
bership enrollments.
Set Civil Service
Police Exam Date
The Civil Service Commission
of the City of East Cleveland an
nounces an open, competitive ex
amination for patrolman to be
held on February 25th. This ex
amination is the gateway to em
ployment opportunity for a career
as a professional police officer.
v
CALL NEWS
to
PO. 1-3378
E. R. Kregenow
Safety Council
57 President
must be
between 23 and 28
in good physical
a minimum height
and a maximum
Applicants must be United
States citizens,
years of
condition,
of 5 ft.
height of
age,
have
8 in..
6 ft. 3 in.
The position requires men of
intelligence and sound judgment
who can work together in a disci
plined organization and above all
men of high character.
Applicants are given written,
athletic, medical, and oral exami
nations.
Persons interested should secure
application blanks from the Secre
tary of the Civil Service Commis
sion, East Cleveland City Hall.
14340 Euclid ave., East Cleveland
12, Ohio and file applications be
fore 12:00 o’clock noon, Saturday,
February 23rd.
PTA To Sponsor
First Aid Class
East Cleveland PTA Council
will sponsor a First Aid Class for
mothers starting Tuesday, Febru
ary 12th at 1:30 p. m. The classes,
to be taught by instructors from
the American Red Cross, will be
held in Prospect Elementary
School. The course will be a mini
mum
hour
of 18 hours, or nine two
sessions.
announcing this class. Mis.
In
Andrews, PTA Council
Budd
president points out that First Aid
instruction is invaluable
women, and particularly. 1
mothers.
to
to
40 Years' Service
on
in
by
Slides will illustrate the talk
“Action on Urban Renewal
Cleveland” to be given here
James Lister, chairman of the
Cleveland Planning Commission.
The talk will be given at the
February 14th meeting of the
East Cleveland Community Coun
cil to be held in Shaw High SchooL
all
the
in
to
Any woman interested i
course is invited to come
first session next Tuesday.
the
the
Prospect Elementary School is
located opposite Shaw High School.
Parking facilities are available.
Frank R. Otcasek, head of The
East Ohio Gas Company’s Payroll
Department recently completed
40 years’ service with the organi
zation.
Otcasek, who came to Cleveland
from Austria-Hungary at the age
of five, started with East Ohio as.
an office boy.
A widower, Otcasek live* at
15979 Nelacrest rd. His only
daughter lives in Naples, Italy,
where her husband is serving wn
the U. S. Navy
hi

xml | txt