Newspaper Page Text
GL 1-4383 14.850 Circulation Guaranteed Season Passes For Skating, Swimming Set Season passes for ice skating this winter swimming next year will be available to East Cleve landers as a result of city commission action Tuesday night. Upon the recommendation of City Manager Charles A. Carran, the governing body approved an Gripes On Rain Pour In The last big rain in East »rleveland was a week ago last Sunday but complaints to city hall are still pouring in. This was evident at Tuesday night’s commission meeting when 17 residents of the East 146th st., and Dover ave., area flooded the session plaints of flooded and “what’s going .about them?” with com basements to be done the group Spokesman for was Joseph J. Ziccardi, 14709 Dover ave., who stated base ments in the area were flooded three times last month. “Up to a foot of water in the basement was experienced by many home* in the neighbor hood,” he said. Finance Director G. T. Ap thorp admitted there was a problem, but blamed it on the severity of recent rainfalls. He 1 mentioned other areas in the city that were equally hard hit. Survey Made He added that the engineer ing department is taking a survey of the areas to deter mine a possible solution. To the question, “What is going to be done?” Apthorp answered he couldn’t say at the moment because the problem would need considerable study. The other members of the group from the area attending the meeting were William R. 1 Smith, 14706 Dover John C. Cummings, 14707 Dover Wil liam Strachan. 1257 East 146th st Benedict Lechowicz, 14508 Dover Earl Cunningham, 1267 East 146th Thomas F. Haines, 14604 Dover Chester J. Lipski. 14422 Dover Elmer Luke, 1269 East 145th. A. J. Laferty, 1275 East 145th David Thoss. 14412 Do ver Mrs. Vi shot Pegg, 1261 East 146th James A. Murphy, 14616 Dover Victor Matteucci, 14520 Dover Wyndham E. Da vies, 14610 Dover Charles W. Condon. 14514 Dover and George Valenti, 14516 Dover. 'W- & The first Cleveland Trust branch bank, and one of the first in the United States, will move into its own handsome building now under construction at Euclid and Eastham ave. in East Cleveland this fall. “The bank has been in its present location, a short dis tance away at Euclid and Beersford aves. for nearly 60 Volume No. 20—No. 3 2 ordinance establishing the passes and also increasing the daily rates for both activities.! Under the new plan, season passes for the ice rink will be $5 and for the swimming pool $4. The daily rates will be in creased from 25 cents to 35 cents for those under 19 using the facilities in the morning and from 35 cents to 50 cents for afternoon use. For those over 19 the rate of 35 cents for morning and 50 cents for afternoon remains the same. For the swimming pool, the morning rate will go from 15 cents to 25 cents and the after noon charge from 35 cents to 40 cents. No Change In Kiddies Rate No change was suggested in the present provision permit ting children under six to use pool facilities free when ac companied by a paying adult. Also, no additional charge sef for the learn gram. Carran also recommended that no charge be made for registration, which he said In other communities ranges from 35 cents to $1. The season passes will he sold only to residents of the East Cleveland city and school district and to families whose children attend local parochial schools. The new rates will be in effect for the 1961-62 skating season starting around Dec. 1st and for the 1962 swim ming season. Plans are to sell the season nasses at City Hall two weeks before the opening of the rink land and the pool. In the case of the rink, nasses are exnect ed to be available on or about Nov. 15th. Subsidy Continues Carran explained that the New System contemplates a continuing subsidy of both the pool and the rink in approxi mately the same proportion as they have been subsidized in the past from citv revenues. “Tn my opinion.” he asserted, “any attempt to cover the full cost of operation of the rink and pool would increase the rate of admission to the nnint of diminishing returns and de feat the objective o in creasing their uses and provid (Continued on Page 3) New Bank Branch Nearly Ready outgrown those quarters. “It became the first Cleve land Trust branch in 1903 and since that time has contributed greatly to the vast growth East Cleveland. “It was originally opened the Windermere Savings Banking Company in 1901. From that beginning, Cleveland Trust, was the pioneer in the nation in branch banking, and years.'* said Bank President nation in branch banking, i George Gund, “and has nownow ha* 71 banking offices.1 •W CLEVELAND 2* AMniYaBSABY and More than 10,000 Knights Templar will be here to take part in the Grand Encampment which convenes every three years. The conclave in Cleve land marks the second time is 21 years that Ohio has been host to the 350,000 member fraternity. A conclave was held in Cleveland in 1940. was pro- to swim the Carran. the plan According to over-all rates of resent the lowest admission rates, both season and gener al admission of any other sub urban ice rink and pools. “A season pass at $4,” he said, “with a swimming sea son of approximately 80 days would cost five cents per day or per swim for a person using the pool once a day.” rep YMCA 9.. EAST CLEVELAND BRANCH Shaw Reunion Is Sept 16th The tenth reunion of the 1952 Shaw High School graduating class is set for Sept. 16th at the House of Luxenburg Motel, 14660 Shaw ave., it was an nounced today. Further information can be had by contacting Anna Mae Clouse Weniger at LI. 1-0841. a The new office which will continue to be called the Euclid Windermere branch, Gund said, will have every modern facility including 2 auto tellers, 24-hour depository, safe deposit vault, air conditioning and ample parking space. The manager is E. D. Spies. of as & Contractor for the new build ing is H. W. Marcuson and architects are Charles Bacon Rowley, Associates, Inc. and Ernst Payer. did you Know? Gas was made available in East Cleveland as early as 1896. The Cleveland Gas, Light & Fuel Company served our community at a rate of 80 cents for 1,000 cubic feet of artificial gas. The Village received gas for street lighting free of charge at the time. ]n Mayor Bolton's report of 1901 he prophesied that gas would surpass electricity for lighting purposes if it continued to grow in popularity as it had to that time. East Cleveland obtained water from Cleveland through the master meter system in 1896. The first sewage disposal plant was started in 1890 and was located on Gravel Road, later the location of the Chambers swimming pool. Local Knights Templai Aim For Convention Music, marching and usher ing will be the major contribu tions of East Cleveland area Knights Templar during the week of Aug. 12th-18th when the Masonic fraternity holds its 48th Triennial Conclave in Cleveland. Merlyn Meredith, 1407 Coit ave., has arranged for De Molay ushering service at all conclave gatherings. This will include ushering at Cleveland Stadium the evening of Aug. 12th when more marching members view after a Cleveland parade. than 7,000 pass in re Downtown Sunday afternoon, Aug. 13th, Meredith’s ushers will be in charge of seating at Cleveland Public Auditorium when thou sands of Knights Templar take part in a colorful divine wor ship service. READY TO ROLL are these youngsters as they anxiously await the ending of the formalities involved in the new East Cleveland YMCA bus changing hands. Paul K. Clark, sales manager of Jim Connell Chevrolet, 14481 Euclid ave., turns the keys over to Charles Rendlesham of the Y's Men's club as Y Executive Secretary Don Fortune eagerly reaches for them. The Y's Men donated the bus. The youngsters in the photo are left to right Jannette Boudreau, 1343 Elwood Don Wilson, 15314 Welton dr. Robert Donaldy, 16055 Glynn rd. Susan Rose, 1177 North Lockwood. Huron Road Hospital Plans Novel Picnic East Cleveland Leader The East Cleveland Leader. The SCOOP and EucHd News-Journal Ghre Advertisers Complete Coverage In Northeast Greater Cleveland East Cleveland. Ohio By Mail $5.00 Per Year SI Weatherhead Meeting Set A comprehensive three-day sales conference heralding Puritan Brake Fluid, the new est acquisition of The Weath erhead Company, 300 East 131st st., opened this morning (Thursday) at the Luxenburg Hotel, 14660 Euclid ave. Directing the conference is George B. Larkin, jr., sales manager for Weatherhead’s Automotive Aftermarket. S6C,:« 47 4* nt .Usrc': V 19 it & YMCA Huron Road Hospital will 'Aug. 16th, from noon to 7 hold its first annual “Employ ease-Day-Pienic” for employees and their families at nearby Forest Hills Park Wednesday, according to E. W. Miller, Ex- Seven Seek Commission Posts Here Seven candidates have of ficially filed with the board of elections to fill three East Cleveland City Commission seats. Among those seeking elec tion are the incumbents J. Durant Mix. 16204 Helms dale Paul W. Broer, 14508 Terrace and Ralph S. Barton, 13431 Shaw ave. Other hopefuls are Don Fisher, 13444 Euclid ave. Mrs. Dorthey M. Scholl, 1820 Chapman Thomas Steven son,1015 East 131st st. and John J. Ewers, 14010 Shaw of press time, there only three seeking to As were fill two school board seats. They are incumbants Rob ert A. Henderson, 1311 Hay den ave., and Roger L. Peck inpaugh, 16215 Oakhill dr. Seeking to unseat one of them is George M. Keith, 894 Caledonia. Just Returned Mr. and Mrs. Charles Vaigl, 2065 Miami ave., and Mr. and Mrs. K. S. Whiteman, 13909 Strathmore ave., just returned from a lake cruise to Superior, Wis., and Duluth, Minn. While at Duluth the two couples took a trip to Hibbing, Minn., to see the largest Iron Ore strip mine in the world. 1 p.m., ecutive Director. “We have hit upon this novel picnic arrangement because of our convenient position adja cent to Forest Hills Park,” said Miller. The picnic hours allow all of the more than 900 employees to attend without disrupting any hospital service. Employees of the evening shift will picnic early. Likewise, the day shift is to go to the picnic following completion of day around 3 p. m. All food, beverages, prizes are to be furnished by the hos pital. There will be a variety of games and sports for all age groups. East Clevelanders working on the Picnic Committee include Miss Ruth Weygandt, 14225 Coit rd. and Samuel Arlow, 13417 Fifth ave., food and Mrs. Helen Meyers, 15632 Euclid ave., promotion. Shaw Grad Gets Top College Post Roland Patzer, Shaw grad uate and former East Cleve lander, has been made the new Dean of Men at the University of Vermont. Presently Assist ant Dean at Kent State Uni versity Patzer will be remem bered here as having done some outstanding vocal work in the music field. His mother is presently living at 1745 Chap man ave. w ARWVER admire the SIGNS OF THE TIMES. A passerby stops to in the window of Stonebraker's Drug Store, 2156 Noble rd. There are several displays of this type that will be placed all over the city. The manager of the drug store, Charles N. MacDonald, has added some old East Cleveland pictures to the sign. There are several things they should inquire about: Is it possible our gas bills include the cost of “co-opera tive” advertising a subsidy to appliance dealers and home builders to induce them to sell more gas stoves, dryers, furnaces and various other gas appliances? When you hear the word “gas” on radio read it in a newspaper advertisement are you hear all about how wonderful it is? As long as East Ohio is guaranteed a reasonable profit by their exclusive franchise the consumers are entitled to a strict accounting of all money spent to operate the company. If a rate increase is necessary due to higher wholesale costs why should large industrial users be exempt from paying their fair share of the increase? It is hard to believe that Cleveland’s major industrial gas consumers wish to shift the burden onto the small users. If an increase is necessary it should be distributed fairly among all users of gas. Before a new rate schedule is granted the Cleveland City and Suburban officials are entitled to a good long look at the company’s expense accounts to see how much of an increase, if any, is really needed. United Appeal Services Here Total 4.167 Red Feather agencies sup ported through the United Ap peal of Greater Cleveland ren dered 4,167 health and welfare services to East Clevelanders in 1960, according to statistics released this week by the Wel fare Federation of Cleveland. At the same time, the local chapter of the Red Cross re vealed a sizeable increase in benefits resulting from its 10 service programs. Operating funds for these agencies come from the annual United Appeal gifts each fall. The goal for 1961 is $12,737,424. A survey of group work and Golden Wedding Mr. and Mrs. Carl Downing, 13510 Gainsboro ave. will cele brate their Golden W’edding Anniversary, Aug. 12th with a dinner at for family Smith’s Restaurant and friends. Mrs. Downing Cleveland and Mr. and v 50th anniversary display About Gas! The recent demand of the East Ohio Gas Co. for a rate increase of 24% for small consumers with no increase from large industrial users presents the city and suburban officials with an opportunity to do some research of their own as to why such a rate increase is necessary. consuming or TV or paying to recreation services revealed that 706 East Cleveland boys were members of the Boy Scouts. Girl Scout memberships totaled 313, while East Cleveland Camp Fire Girls numbered 220. Mem bership totals for the YMCA and YWCA were 1,055 and 1,076 respectively. Twenty-three youngsters were enrolled at Cleveland Music School Settle ment. Sixteen persons partici pated in arts, crafts, and dra matics activities at Karamu House. In the vast field of health and rehabilitation, 114 East Cleveland residents were treated in their homes by representatives of the Visiting Nurse Association last year. Cleveland Hearing and Speech Center served 43, and an identi cal number found instruction and constructive work at voca tional Guidance and Rehabilita tion Service. Seventeen persons from East Cleveland were helped by Cleve land Society for the Blind, 10 children received special care for emotional disturbances at Cleveland Guidance Center, and 11 handicapped persons were given extensive therapy at United Cerebral Palsy Associa tion. were have married in lived at the above address for the past 45 years. Downing re tired from the New York Cen tral Railroad five years ago. They have one daughter, Mrs. William Dagger of Lancaster, Ohio, and four grandchildren. Mrs. Frank Pearse, 141st st., observed Mr. and East 1322 their golden wedding anniver sary yesterday but celebrated the occasion last Sunday when they journeyed to the home of their daughter, Mrs. E. Oscar Henderson, in Erie, Pa. On hand for the festivities were a son, Frank, jr.. and wife from Texas and daughter, Mrs. William Edward* and family from Lake wood. Mr. and Mr*. Pearse have lived in the same house in East Cleveland for the past 41 years. Mrs. Pearse is past matron of the Windermere Order of Eastern Star and Past Deputy Grand Matron of District 13. Eighty-six East Cleveland families were served by one of two Greater Cleveland family service agencies. Legal Aid Society gave legal counsel to 77 new persons. Ten foreign-born East Clevelanders received technical service at Nationalities Services Center. Junior Red Cross enrolled 7,797 youngsters from 11 East Cleveland schools. There were 2,236 enrolled in classes in water safety and first aid. Twenty-nine East Clevelanders trained for disaster service, 225 families of servicemen and women received Red Cross assistance, and 27 East Cleve land women completed classes in home nursing. Red Cross blood program tabulations show that 922 pints of blood were donated last year, and 2,667 pints were distributed to hospitals in the East Cleve land area. The annual report also tells about the city’s newly adopted official flag which was design ed by Barbara Allen. 16272 Glynn rd. The eight-page publication further gives a complete ac counting of the various muni cipal departments and their activities. However, the most important part of the booklet is the abun dance of financial information. For example, the report in easy to read form gives a complete presentation of the city tax structure and an accurate 10 year history of tax collections. According to the report, the total tax valuation this year will be $101,783,769 as com pared to $65,978,405 in 1952. This year the tax rate per $1,000 valuation is $3.41. Ten (Continued on Page 3) o tUr.«c. I 50* AJMVKRSAMY Annual Report Hails City's 50th Birthday East Cleveland's 1960 annual report, 14,000 copies of which will be delivered to residents within the next couple of weeks, hails the city’s golden anniver sary year. “East Cleveand can look back with pride on its first half-century of accomplishments as a city and it* earlier history a* a town-’ ship, hamlet and village,” the report stated. “From the years of its found ing,” the reported continued, "a strong community spirit as well as a sound system of gov ernment and education have served so well the growth, pro gress and development of this community.” “If we are to carry on this proud heritage, we shall need to work together in continuing our emphasis on the qualities which have made East Cleve land an enjoyable, safe and healthy community in which to live. Thanks to these strengths and the continued cooperation of all its citizens. East Cleve land on its golden anniversary year can look to ‘More Golden Years Ahead’ with confidence in its future and pride in its past.” OSES Services College Grads The Cleveland East office of the Ohio State Employment Service, 14814 St. Clair ave., is engaged in placement of college graduates, one of its many serv ices to applicants. According to Bernard J. Doyle, manager of the local of fice, recent college graduates, drop-outs, and graduates of technical schools are served in the professional, clerical, tech nical, and sales placement unit. Recognition of the highly in dividual problems presented by recent graduates has resulted in the development of special tools and promotional tech niques. Testing and counseling service is offered when helpful, saving time and channeling talent. It is fortified with realistic labor market information. The Employment Counsellor evalu ates the graduate’s ability and opportunities both in terms of his potential and current job market. Mrs. Mary M. McKim, super visor of the professional unit said that the section she heads has created a climate which provides individual and imagin ative service. Passes Exam Wilf ord H. Cheetam, 13515 Mann ave.. recently passed the Certified Public Accountant examinations. JUST OFF THE PRESSES at Collinwood Publishing Com pany, 814 East 152nd st., are these pages of Ross Connell's first book of poems, ''Thoughts To Share." Admiring the handiwork are Charles Novak, art and lithograph supervisor of Collinwood (left) and Connell. His Poems Took Ross Writes Book Ross Connell’s philosophical poems that have appeared off and on in this newspaper have been in such demand that the poet has put his down-to-earth verses in booklet form. They are now being sold for $1 apiece in stores throughout Greater Cleveland. Among some of the outlets are Burrows, 419 Euclid ave., Evans Flowers, Inc., 14130 Euclid ave. Hers Speciality Shop, 22354 Lake Shore blvd. Kent the Florist. Inc.. 12432 Cedar The SCOOP 814 East 152nd st.: Tobin-Page Rexall Drug, Euclid and Page and Wybans Gift Shop in the Euclid-Richmond Shopping Cen ter. The books can also be had by mailing check or money order of $1.10 to cover tax and mail ing, to Ross Connell, 1847 Stan wood, Cleveland 12. Connell has been writing ver ses for many years and will write on any given subject at the drop of a meter. He lives at the Standwood address in East Cleveland and is branch manager for Best and Co. He has been with that firm for 19 years. Connell also i* a noted speak er in this area and hi* talk* al- ’•-fi /ways have humorous verses or quips interjected. He has on file more than 500. four line humor ous verses that he has written in the past year, plus children’s stories set to verse. Lyrics are not the only con tribution Connell makes in this area. Both he and his wife Bettie, started and ran for sev eral years the Junior Canteen at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church. He was president of the Shaw PTA for the year 1958-1959 and was active in the East Cleveland Little League for four years. He presently is still engaged in church activties while Mrs. Connell is director of Religious Education at St. Paul’s. The Connell’s have three children, Ken 19, who gradu ated from Shaw and is now at tending Princeton University Betsy, 14, and Janet, 12. On Dean’s List Daniel P. Owen, son of Mr. and Mrs. P. H. Owen, 15018 Terrace rd., has been named to the Dean’s List at the Univer sity of Rochester, Rochester. N. Y.