Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Baxter Springs news. [volume] (Baxter Springs, Kan.) 1882-1919
Baxter Springs, Kan. (1882-1919)
- Baxter Springs news. [volume] : (Baxter Springs, Kan.) 1882-1919
- Place of publication:
- Baxter Springs, Kan.
- Geographic coverage:
- News Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Feb. 23, 1882)-v. 38, no. 24 (July 25, 1919).
- Baxter Springs (Kan.)--Newspapers.
- Kansas--Baxter Springs.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01228182
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Available on microfilm from Micro Photo.
- Sept. 20, 1917 issue includes literary supplement called: Home circle magazine section.
- sn 83040592
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Baxter Springs news. [volume] January 4, 1890 , Image 1
Baxter Springs News
The Baxter Springs News of Cherokee County, Kansas, was established on February 23, 1882, by James B. Rowley, and was published by the Baxter News Company. Rowley declared in the premier issue that the "the News has been started simply because the interests of Baxter Springs demanded it, and for the additional reason that perchance its publication will bring wealth to their editors... the News, as indicated by its unassuming name, will make a specialty of notable happening, both here and elsewhere, interspersed with comments and opinions upon all subjects of interest." The Baxter Springs News was "An Independent Paper Devoted to the Interests of Cherokee County," and was published weekly on Saturdays, on Thursdays starting mid-November 1903, and on Fridays beginning February 1918. The size of the paper ranged from four to 12 pages. The News frequently mentioned surrounding mineral springs and included a recurring column titled "The Mines." Local and national news, advertisements, correspondence from the Quapaw Indian Reservation, and details about city council proceedings were often featured, along with occasional reports on love matches and marriages in the area in various articles titled "Cupid's Work," "Cupid Very Busy," and "In Cupid's Net." Circulation for the News peaked in 1910 at 1,400, when the Baxter Springs's population was just over 1,700.
Marion H. Gardner purchased the Baxter Springs News in October 1882 when James Rowley took a job with the Kansas City (Missouri) Daily Times. After 10 years of serving as sole proprietor, Gardner sold one-half interest of the News to Charles L. Smith in August 1892. Gardner declared, "The political aspect of the paper will not be changed, but special attention will be given to a record of the local news, and a full and free discussion of all matters of interest, whether political or otherwise, by the patrons generally is invited and desired by the managers of the paper." Smith purchased the remaining interest in the News in December 1897 when Gardner left to open a new printing office in nearby Galena. Smith managed the News alone for nearly two decades until he sold his shares to Alfred E. Pfremmer in July 1916. The price of printing material had risen significantly, but Smith "did not have the heart to make the increase in price" and sold the paper instead. Pfremmer kept the subscription rate at $1.00 per year, but increased the rate for those outside the county to $1.50 starting on June 14, 1917. Pfremmer remained editor and publisher until July 25, 1919, when the Baxter Springs News ended after 37 years of publication.
Provided by: Kansas State Historical Society; Topeka, KS