Newspaper Page Text
Capital Regarded as Catholic Center of Western Hemisphere by Leaders
CHURCH POLICY ITS U. S.
FIXED BY PRELATES HERE
Great Institutions of Sect in Extension ,
Education 9 Charity and Social
Work Located in Capital .
BY WILL. P, KEWEDY.
Washington is the great Catholic center of the Western Hemisphere.
A\ liat Koine is to Catholic Europe. Washington is in large measure to
< atholic America, and what the Vatican is in Rome the Catholic Uni
versity of America is in Washington.
At Catholic University in Washington, where the Catholic manhood
ot the I nited Stales is now mustered by the tens of thousands to do rev
erence to the Holy Name, is focused the Catholic thought and spirit of
this hemisphere—the religions fervor, influence and extension; education,
both religious and secular; charity and social service, and here, also, are
I discussed the policy of the Catholic Church in America on the metre im
portant problems of the day.
So important has the Holy See con
sidered Washington as a Catholic
'■enter that the Pope more than 30
' ears ago established here the apos
tolic delegation, now located at 1811
Uiltmore street northwest. Some of
the most noted cardinals of the
church have served as apostolic dele
gate—Satolli, Martinelli, Faleonio,
Tlonzano, and now we have his excel
lency the Most Reverend Pietro Kti
masoni-Biondi. r>. D., who was for
merly apostolic delegate to the East
tndics and to Japan, and later secre
tary to the Sacred Congregation ot
Hierarchy Meet* Here.
The Catholic hierarchy of the United
States, including Alaska and Porto
.Rico, meets at least once a year at
tic Catholic University to discuss
• inestions of church administration
and policy, charitable and general
welfare activities. The hierarchy in
cludes the four American cardinals—
J.is eminence William Cardinal o'Con-
Jiell of the province of Boston, his
minencc Patrick Cardinal Hayes ol
the province of New York, his emi
nence C.ttirge Cardinal Mundelein ot
the province of Chicago and his emi
nence Dennis Cardinal Dougherty of
the province of Philadelphia, and 13
•oilier archbishops and 96 bishops.
The attention of every Catholic in
the United States is now focused on
the Catholic University campus,
where the greatest church structure
n this country and one of the most
Beautiful basilicas in the whole world
is now being erected, known as the
National Catholic Shrine of the Im
maculate Conception, through volun
tary offerings from practically every
Catholic in North America.
Shrine Cost Heavy.
This shrine is to cost upward of
5.1.n00.000, and it will be beautified
and embellished by priceless art
works to which the whole world will
contribute. It is to stand as a monu
ment of devotion and gratitude to
the Mother of God and a memorial to
the soldiers and sailors who died in
the World War.
The cript is w ell along toward com
pletion and some 130 masses a day
are being celebrated there during the
Holy Name convention.
Washington has also gained na
tion-wide recognition as the great
Catholic center through the estab
lishment here of the National Catho
lic Welfare Conference, with head
quarters at 1312 Massachusetts ave
nue. This was organized in 1819 by
92 members of the Catholic hierarchy :
meeting at the Catholic University)
jmd has been approved by the two last I
soverign Pontiffs. Benedict XV and I
Pope Pius X(. The latter wrote aj
special message to the hierarchy 1
jiraising the work of the National
'*'atholic Welfare Conference and urg
ing that it be intensified.
This "conference" succeeded the
National Catholic War Council, which
was one of seven co-operative agen
cies recognized by the War Depart
ment. By action of the American
Catholic hierarchy the conference
■was put under the control of seven
members of the hierarchy and with
Most Rev. Edward J. Hanna. D. D„ of
San Francisco, titular Bishop of Titop
olis, in charge of administration.
Rev. John J. Burke. C. S. P., is gen
eral secretary of the conference and
acts here in Archbishop Hanna's
This conference conducts depart
ments of education, press and public
ity, social action, executive, lay or
ganizations. laws and legislation. The
entire Catholic press of the country
is given an authoritative Catholic
' news service covering the Catholic
field in the same comprehensive way
that the secular press is served by
such co-operative agencies as the As
sociated Press. Papers in Canada,
Prance, England and Ireland are also
The lay organization department is
composed of two co-ordinate branches,
the National Council of Catholic Men,
of which Admiral William S. Benson
3s national president, and the Na
tional Council of Catholic Women, of
which Mrs. Gertrude Hill Gavin is
The National Catholic Service
School, 2400 19th street, is one of the
main activities of the National Coun
cil of Catholic Women, which main
tains this school for training young
women in service work with funds
contributed by the women's organiza
tions affiliated with the National
Council of Catholic Women. It was
affiliated with the Catholic University
in December, 1923. Rev. William J.
Kerby, Ph. D.. Is acting director. This
school offers a course of two years in
principles and practice of social work.
The A. M. degree is conferred on
graduate students of the school who
satisfy the requirements for that de
gree as determined by the Catholic
Conduct CTtlmen School.
One of the activities of the Na
tional Catholic Welfare Conference
during the last six ye'ars has been
a nation-wide citizenship campaign
along the general lines of Americani
The Catholic University of America,
which is the very heart of the Catho
lic spirit in America, was founded in ,
ISS7—37 years ago. Cardinal O’Con
nell is chairman of the board of trus
tees and Cardinal Dougherty, vice
chairman, and Archbishop Michael J.
Curley of the Baltimore See. is presi
dent, as well as being chancellor of
the university. Rt. Rev. Thomas J.
•Shahan, titular bishop of Germani
< opolis. is rector. The University com
prises the schools of sacred sciences,
of law, of philosophy, of letters and of
sciences, with a faculty of 100 teach
ers. and some 700 students.
.Affiliated with the Catholic Uhiver
olty are the Catholic Sisters’ College
and 13 other large Institutions.
in the Sisters’ College instruction in
professional and academic subjects la
given to hundreds of selected teach
ing sisters from more than 50 re
ligious orders, who are studying for
Teachers’ College Wanted.
At its meeting in April, 1914, the
board of trustees of the Catholic Uni
versity gave definite shape to the
teaching carried on for three years
previous under the guidance of the
university for the better formation
of Catholic teaching sisters In all
that pertains to their scholastic
Tha institute, henceforth to be
known as "The Catholic Bisters Col
lego,” has been incorporated as such
under the laws of the District of Co
lumbia. It is an independent corpora
tion. separate and distinct from the
university, but affiliated with it, so
that the graduate students of the
college, after having passed the ex
anvnatinps approved hy the trustees
of the university, may receive univer
sity degree .
The plan < f study and discipline
correspond.- ir 1> th - best traditions
and principles of Catholic education
of women. Tp.. methods recommend
ed by the Holy See for the < 'atholic
! University of Am rica as far as ap
j plicable. are followed by this college.
. The, courses of stud'es are grouped
j under the following bond-: Religious
] agd moral instruction, educational
j courses. philosophy. mathematics.
; sciences, languages ancient and mod
: «ru. history, letters, art. music. The
! college publishes its own year book.
Oh n Group of Rnililing*.
The teachers' college has a group
j of buddings of its own about two
| miles north of the university campus.
; ' Hher affiliated institutions, each of
j which occupies a beautiful building
j i ,f own, and ail of which cluster
■ around the 360-acre campus of the
| university are:
Ihe Sulp’eian Seminary, located
( since September, 1919. in a new build
j ing at the gate of the ('atholic Uni
, versity. This is the schotasticate for
i the members of the Society of St.
I Sul pice, where a genera! theological
I course is given. The seminarians
; t *') ke Pedagogy at the Catholic Unlver
| sity and missionary preparation at
| the apostolic mission house, also
| affiliated with the university. The
domestic department is in charge of
the Sisters of Divine Providence.
Trains for Priesthood.
The Sulpician Seminary is conduct
ed by the priests of St. Sulpice for the
education of young men for the secu
lar priesthood. Instruction is given
in the standard subjects for the four
years.of a general theological course.
The seminary is located on Michi
gan avenue, at the corner of Fourth
street, just opposite the main gale
of _ the university. The property
which was purchased in 19]fi com
prises nine acres. The building was
begun in the spring of 1917 and one
section of it lias been completed. It
was taken possession of by the stu
dents on September 20. 1919. and
solemnly blessed by Cardinal Gib
bons. There are 115 students.
The Franciscan Monastery, on
Mount Saint Sepulchre, which is now
celebrating its silver jubilee has
just been consecrated with elaborate
ceremonies during the Holy Name con
vention. Here is located the commis
sariat of the Holy Band and the Fran
ciscan College, at Fourteenth and
Quincy streets northeast. Rev. John
b orest Donegan, O. F. M., commissary
of the Holy Band, is superior. In
this monastery, which is one of the
sights of the Capital visited by tour
ists, whether Catholic or non-Catho
lic, are the catacombs in reproduction
of those in Rome, where the martyrs
arc buried. At the Franciscan Mon
astery also and out-door stations of
the Holy Cross and a large Grotto of
Bourdes in replica of the holy place
in France where the Blessed Virgin
appeared to the pious peasant girl
Bernadette, saying. “I am the Immac
ulate Conception,” at which shrine
many thousands of wonderful cures
have been wrought and miracles per
formed. The Crusader's Almanac (In
English, German. Polish and Italian
languages) is published by the com
missariat in the Interests of the Holy
Band and its missions.
Sanction of Ifoly See,
With the sanction of the Holy See
and the cardinal chancellor of the
university the Franciscans acquired
in 1897 a site of about 40 acres in
Brookland, D. C., and there erected a
church and monastery known as
Mount St. Sepulchre, which contains
the commissariat of the Holy Band in
the United States.
This institution also serves as a
house of studies for graduate stu
dents from different provinces of the
order who are destined to teach. Af
ter finishing their ordinary theologi
cal studies such students follow spe
cial courses at the Catholic Univer
sity leading to major degrees.
Trinity College, on Michigan ave
nue, near the university. is conduct
ed by the Sisters of Norte Dame de
Namur, and has for its purpose the
higher education of women under
Catholic auspices. The faculty is
composed of clerical and secular pro
fessors and sisters of Notre Dame.
There are 13 lay professors, 14 rever
end professors from the Catholic
University and 54 sisters.
The chancellor of the university is
ex-officio president of the advisory
board of the college, which Is com
posed of the rector and vice rector
of the university, the officers of the
college and representatives of the
clergy and laity. The college was
founded in 1897, and was authorized
under the terms of its charter grant
ed by the District of Columbia to
confer academic degrees.
Has 400 Students.
This college has an attendance of
nearly 400 young women from every
State in the Union. The alumnae and
friends of Trinity College have just
erected a new college chapel which is
considered one of the most beautiful ,
small-church structures in this coun
try, and unsurpassed for the simplic
ity and beauty of the interior.
The Apostolic Mission House was
established in 1902. It is under the
direction of the Catholic Missionary
Union (incorporated under the laws
of the State of New York), and of this
institution the Moat Reverend Arch
bishop of New York is president. It
is under the management of the
Paulist Fathers. The Apostolic Mis
sion House provides a course of stu
dies designed to prepare priests, both
secular and religious, to preach Cath
olic and non-Catholic missions, to
give retreats as well as lectures for
Lent and Advent or other special oc
casions. It is a graduate school of
preaching for all branches of the ac
tive priesthood. The students are
privileged to attend classes at the
Catholic University, on whose grounds
the building stands. Rev. Lewis J.
O Hern, C. S. P.. & T. D., J. C. D„ is
rector. The Missionary Magazine is
The College of St. Paul the Apostle
the Paulist novitiate and house of
studies, at Seventh and Hamlin
streets northeast, is near the gate of
the Catholic University and attracts
the attention of tourists because of
its beautiful location and the mas
sive attractiveness of the edifice.
Rev. Michael J Carey, c. S. P.. i? the
THE EVENING STAR. WASHINGTON. D. C., FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 19. 1924.
CATHOLIC CLERGY PROMINENT IN NATIONAL CAPITAL.
m * I iHBh VKfIK” %/
■ “A LDMOHSTD
Oachhach " 1 ■■■■
Upper, left to right: Archbishop Thomas .1. Mi shun, rector of the Catholic University of America; Mgr. James F.
Mackln, pastor of St. Caul's parish, oldest priest in the archdiocese, who will lend the Washington section in the
parade; .Archbishop Pietro Fumnsoni-Hiondl, papal drlrgalr to the I nited Males.
Lower, left to right; Rev. Rerna;d A. McKenna. U.U., of the t'alhollc .University, In charge of the rreetion of
the 4si.ooo.tHMi National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception at Catholic ( nlverslly; Rev. John 11. t'reeden, S.J.,
president of Georgetown I nlverslly; Rev. Hr. John O'Grady of the t'alhollc University, head of the Catholic Chari
ties in AAashington. «
CATHOLIC ACTIVITIES IN U. S.
Apostolic delegate located here tor 30 year;..
Hierarchy of United States meets here regularly.
Greatest church edifice in this country and one est most mag
nificent in all the world being erected.
National ■Catholic Welfare Conference heads varied Catholic
activities with headquarters here, and school for social service
More than 23 million dollars spent in last ten years on new
buildings for Catholic education.
Georgetown University, oldest and probably best Catholic edu
cational institution in the country, with professional and preparatory
Catholic University is center of group of more than 20 im
portant institutions, including Sisters’ Teacher College, Trinity Col
lege. Apostolic Mission House. Franciscan Monastery and Commis
sariat of the Holy Lands and houses of study for more than 10
Gonzaga and St. John's Colleges.
Five academies conducted by Catholh: sisters—Visitation, St.
Anne s. St. Cecelia’s, Holy Cross or "Dunbarton” and Immaculate
Many elemosynary institutions, conducted by Catholics,-such as
Georgetown and Providence hospitals. St. Vincent’s and St. Joseph’s
orphan asylums, St. Rose’s Technical School. Soldiers’ Home Hos
pital, St. Anne’s Infant Asylum, House of the Good Shepherd. Home
for the Aged. St. Margaret Mary Home. St. Catherine’s Home, Holy-
Family Kindergarten and Day Nursery.
Thirty-two Catholic parishes, several of which conduct missions
in suburban territory, and more than 20 of which conduct parochial
schools, attended by more than 7,000 children.
superior and master of novices as well
as professor of dogmatic theology.
This institution does not receive
students who seek general instruc
tion. it was the first institution affi
liated with the university, having
been established by the late Very Rev.
Augustine F. Hewit, in 1889, at the
opening of the school of the sacred
sciences. Under the title of “St.
Thomas’ College," it occupied the
Middleton Mansion on the university
grounds until, in 1914. it was trans
ferred to the new building erected on
a tract of 25 acres at a short distance
from the university. It is the desire
of the Paulist Fathers that their stu
dents. after finishing the ordinary
course, should pursue studies leading
to university degrees.
Dominican House of Htadin.
The Dominican House of Studies,
Immaculate Conception College. 487
Michigan avenue northeast, directly
across the street from Gibbons Hall
of the Catholic University, is the phil
osophical and theological house of
studies for tile Order of Preachers of
the Province of St. Joseph, which in
cludes all of the United States east of
the Rocky Mountains. Very Rev.
Henry Ignatius Smith, O. P., S. T. Lr.,
Ph. D.. is prior.
It was this order that instituted the
Holy Name Society and to it belongs
the Very Rev. M. J. Ripple. O. P. and
P. G., who is supreme national direc
tor of the Holy Name and in charge
of this convention. There are about
150 religious in this community in
Students from other provinces of
the order are also received at this
college. It ranks as a "studium
formale,” i. e.. it has the right to
confer degrees in .theology. St.
Joseph's Province was established in
1805 by Father Edward Fenwick,
afterward the first bishop of Cin
cinnati, and for a century' the mem
bers of the order were educated at St.
Rose's Convent, founded in 1806. near
Springfield. Ky., and at St. Joseph’s
Convent near Somerset. Ohio, founded
in 1818. 1nn905 the professors and
students were transferred from St.
Joseph's to Washington and located
in the present building, which was
blessed by the late Cardinal Arch
bishop of Baltimore and chancellor
of the university. There are 92 resi
dent students, of whom 17 pursue
courses at the university.
The Marist College, on the hill up
llarewood road, back of the Catholic
University campus, is the scholasti
cate of the Society of Mary. Rev.
Nicholas A. Weber, S. M., S. T. D., is
Tralain* of Harists.
The priests of the Society of Mary,
incorporated under the laws of the
District of Columbia as the Marist
Society, purchased in 1891 the prop
erty in . Brookland known as th©
Brooks’ mansion, which served for
several years as a college. In 1897 they
secured a tract of 10 acres adjoin
ing the University grounds and have
erected thereon a larger and more
commodious building. Th© college
has for Us object the training of the
Marist scholastics in philosophical
and theological sciences. Twenty
one students at present follow the
usual seminary curriculum in th© col
lege. Th© members of the graduating
class, as also some ot those who have
finished th© seminary course, are
matriculated at th© university In
preparation for various degrees.
The Marist Seminary is the pro
vincial house and the house for higjjer
studies for the Society of Mary. Very
Rev. Richard H. Smith. S. M.. is the
Holy Cross College is the house of
studies for ecclesiastics of the Con
gregation of the Holy Cross, who
conduct Notre Dame University at
Notre Dame, Imi., which is particu
larly distinguished for its award of
the Baetare medal. Rev. Louis M.
Kelley, C. S. C., is superior. This same
institution conducts the Bengalese
Missions, a new home for which is
now being erected on Harewood road.
Rev. Michael A. Mathis, C. S. C.. is
editor of the Bengalese.
In 1895 the Very Rev. Gilbert
Francais, superior general of the
Congregation of the Holy Cross, es
tablished a house of studies in
Brookland in the vicinity of th.- uni
versity. This measure was approved
by the Holy See in a letter addressed
under date of May 13. 1896. to Very
Rev. Dr. J. A. Zahm. at that time pro
curator g*ieral. Soon afterward the
congregation purchased 12 acres of
land on a beautiful slope adjoining
the university grounds on the north,
and erected thereon the present col
School for Teachers.
This college is the ecclesiastical
house of studies for the congrega
tion in the l'nited States, and pro
vides also for the preparation of
teachers for its various institutions.
After four years of the regular semi
nary course, those who are destined
to teach begin their studies at the
The Friars Minor Conventuals, or
St. Bona venture’s Convent, is located
at 625 Michigan avenue northeast, at
the intersection of two main high
ways in front of the Catholic Uni
versity campus. This is the house of
studies of the Immaculate Conception
Province, which has its headquarters
at Syracuse, N. V. The Right Rev.
Dominic Reuter. O. M. C., D. D., is
executor general, and the Very Rev.
Raphael M. Huber, O. M. C., D. D„ is
Besides this college the order has
a large theological seminary at St.
Anthony’s-on-Hudson, at Rensselaer,
This new college was formally
opened November 20, 1923, when the
Most Rev. Michael J. Curley, chancel
lor of the university, blessed the
building, and Right Rev. Thomas J.
Shahan, rector of the Catholic Uni
versity, consecrated three of the
altars. The college Is also a regu
larly established convent of tl)c or
der where the friars daily chant the
Divine office. The students attend
lectures at the university and take
the course for missionaries at the
Apostolic Mission House.
The Monastery and College of Our
Lady of Mount Carmel, Rhode Island
avenue and Second street northeast.
Is a house of study for missionaries
and a retreat house. Revs. Paschasius
Herlz, O. C, D., and Bernard Gerl,
O. C. D., are in charge.
In 1916 the Spanish Carmelite
Fathers established their residence
near the university. They sußse
quently secured a tract of 10 acres
at 350 Rhode Island avenue north
east, as their permanent location and
erected a house of studies which was
dedicated October 15, 1916. It is their
purpose to open a home for lay stu
dents from the Latin American coun
tries and to provide these young men
with the facilities and safeguards
they will nee.} while attending uni
The scholasticate of the Missionary
Oblates of Mary Immaculate, first
American province, is located at 391
Michigan avenue northeast. Rev.
C. J- McCarthy, t>. M. B, professor of
boliletics i« superior. The domestic
department is in charge of the .Sisters
of St. Dominic, Caldwell, N. J.
This institution erected on a tract
of six acres opposite the entrance to
the university grounds and solemnly
blessed by his eminence Cardinal
Gibbons, on November !6, 1916, is
the house of studies of that portion
of the congregation of the Mission
ary Oblates of Mary Immaculate,
which constitutes the first (northern)
American province. It has for its
object the training of the oblate
scholastics in philosophical and theo
logical sciences. On November 8.
1916, the professors and students
were transferred to the present home
from the former house of studies.
Fifty-two students at present follow
the seminary curriculum in this
St. Francis Capuchin College is on
Harewood road. It is a house of
studies. Rev. Thanasius Karlin, .O.
M. Cap., is superior.
The Carpuchin Fathers in 1916 se
cured a tract of land lying north of
the university grounds and facing
Harewood road. They have erected
thereon a house of studies adapted
to their special needs. The college
is open lo members of the Capuchin
order, particularly of the United
Stales and Canada, who desire to
lake up post-graduate work at the
House of Studies Here.
The house of studies for theological
students of the Augustinian order,
St. Augustine's College, is located in
a costly new building off Harewood
road. Very Rev. Francis J. Mc-
Shane, O. S. A., is rector.
This college had its beginning in
temporary quarters at 1041 Bawrence
street, Brookland, with a few Augus
tinian priests taking special courses
at the university. A building site
comprising 13 acres was recently se
cured on Harewood road near the
university grounds. A permanent col
lege structure has been erected large
enough to accommodate at first 50
students and their professors. The
theological scholastics of the Province
of St. Thomas of Villanova. Order of
St. Augustine, will in the near future
be transferred to this building. Many
of these will study the courses of the
Other affiliated institutions, which
are not located in Washington, but
through which the sphere of influ
ence of the Catholic University is ex
tended. include the St. Paul Seminary,
at St. Paul, Minn., opened in Septem
ber, 1894, for the education of candi
dates for the priesthood, and whose
students now number ISO.
St." Mary’s Seminary of the West, at
Norwood. Ohio, for the archdiocese of
St. Francis Seminary, at St. FVancis,
Wis., for the archdiocese of Wiscon
Still other institutions at the Catho
lic University are:
Chaminade Institute of which Rev.
Andrew B. Holder, S. M., A. M., is su
perior. The Brothers of Mary, whose
provincial houses are at Dayton, Ohio,
and Clayton, Mo., purchased in 1915
a tract of land near the Catholic Uni
versity and located in a temporary
structure, their house of studies. The
Institute, named in honor of the Rev.
William Joseph Chaminade, who
founded the society, has for its pur
pose the training of young men as
teachers in the colleges conducted by
The CTaretian College. 708 Monroe
street northeast, has as rector Rev.
Leon Monasterio. C. M. F. On Novem
ber 00, 1922, the Claretian Fathers
(the Congregation of the Missionary
Sons of the Immaculate Heart of
Mary), secured the estate formerly
known as St. Gertrude's Home, near
the university, and established there
a house of studies known as Clare
tian College. The object of the foun
dation is the training’ of the clerics
and advanced students of.the congre
gation for missionary and educa
tional work in the United States.
In considering Washington as a
center of Catholic education, it must
be remembered that these institutions
clustering around the Catholic Uni
versity, are only one unit. There is
also the great Georgetown University,
founded in 1789 by Archbishop Car
roll; several colleges, a number of
academies and some 20 parochial
schools. In fact, Washington Catho
lics have won an enviable reputation
all over the country by a remarkable
demonstration in contributing nearly
two million dollars in the last five
years for parochial school buildings.
'College 135 Years Old.
In the last 10 years more than
twenty-five million dollars has been
spent in erecting Catholic Institu
tions in the National Capital.
Georgetown University Is probably
the best known' Catholic school in
I MEDICAL GROUPS
READY 10 ASSIST
Doctors, Nurses and Hos
pitals Prepared to Take
Care of Sick or Injured.
Elaborate arrangements have been
made by the medical and hospital
committee for the Holy Name con
vention to take care of the pick and
injured in ease, of an accident during
the convention. Jn effect the medical
force of the city lias been mobilized,
placed at the convenience of the
committee and announced itself
ready and anxious to answer calls
upon Its members. Ambulances have
been mobilized and instructed to be
ready for call, more than 300 doctors
have announced their willingness to
serve the committee and every prepa
ration lias been made by the com
mittee to handle the medical end of
the convention without a hitch.
Dr. John A. O'Donoghue of 909
Sixteenth street, is chairman of the
medical and hospitals committee. As
sociated with him are Drs. James J.
Kilroy, John F. Moran, R. T. Holden
and H. J. ('rossoa. In addition all
the prominent physicians of the city
have enrolled themselves in a body to
assist in the medical work and will
hold themselves ready for call when
any one of the 100,000 visitors ex
pected here during ttie convention is
taken sick. '
Special arrangements have been
made to take care of illness during
the Holy Name parade to be held
Sunday. Ambulances will be located
at 10 points along the route of the
parade from Ninth and East Capitol
streets to the Ellipse, prepared to
answer telephone calls at once. In
addition six other ambulances offered
by private firms will be ready lo
answer calls at any time.
Headquarters of the committee will
be at Catholic University, where the
dispensary *and infirmary is prepared
to handle a large number of cases
of illness. The downtown hospitals.
Georgetown, Emergency, George
Washington and Providence, have aii
been enlisted, and with their staffs
of physicians are ready to answer all
calls upon them for special or usual
service. In addition three Red Cross
units will be opened, two at the
Ellipse in charge of Dr. J. Kiltoy.
it. F. Osborne, Harry J. Crawford and
Miss Barbara sanmaeir, and another
at union Station, where a dispensary
ami first aid station will be ready.
No matter where in Washington a
visitor or resident of the city may be
taken sick, an ambulance equipped to
render first aid. a physician enrolled
with the society of a hospital
will be prepared to render im
mediate service. The program of the
convention will list the hospitals, phy
sicians and fist aid stations, with
private ambulances ready to answer
the whole United States, not only on
account of its age—l3s years—but
equally so for superiority of educa
tion. It conducts schools of medicine,
law. dental surgery, foreign service,
arts and sciences and a graduate
school. Georgetown University has
annually about 2,500 students from
every State in the Union and the in
sular possessions. It is conducted by
the fathers of the Society of Jesus,
with secular teachers in the profes
The Jesuit fathers also conduct
Georgetown Preparatory School at
Garrett Park, a few miles out of
Washington toward Rockville, which
accommodates about 100 pupils. Rev.
George Kelly, S. J.. is president.
Gonzaga College and High School,
19 I street northwest, founded in 1821,
is also conducted by the Jesuit Fath
ers and has about 2CO young men in
attendance each year. They have a
cadet corps and band. o
St. John's College. 1125 Vermont
avenue, where an extension is now
being erected, is conducted by the
brothers of the Christian schools,
brothers of the Christian schools,
president. There are more than 200
boys attending this college each year
and many of its graduates hold im
portant positions in the Government
service and civil life of the Capital.
Armmg the academies in Washing
Georgetown Visitation Convent,
1500 Thirty-fifth Street. (Georgetown)
which last June celebrated its 125th
anniversary. It is conducted by the
Visitation nuns and has 20 Ostudents.
St. Anne’s Academy for colored
children. 310 Eighth Street, southeast,
is conducted by the Oblate Sisters of
Providence, and has nearly 450 pupils.
St. Cecelia's Academy, 601 East
Capitol Street, is conducted by the
Sisters of the Holy Cross and has
more than 200 pupils.
Holy Cross •Academy, "Dumbarton.”
Upton Street and Connecticut Avenue,
is conducted by the Sisters of the
Holy Cross and has 225 pupils,
j The Immaculate Seminary. 4300
j Wisconsin Avenue northwest, is con
j ducted by the Sisters of Providence
; and has less than 100 pupils.
Needy Given .Aid.
There are literally scores of insti
tutions for the suffering and needy in
Washington conducted hy religious
orders or under Catholic auspices, for
I St. Vincent's Female Orphan Asy
lum, Edgewood, Fourth street corner
of Central avenue northeast. This is
j conducted hy the Daughters of Char
ity of St. Vincent de Paul. It cares
for 140 orphans.
St. Joseph's Male Orphan Asylum,
924 H street northwest, is conducted
by the Si.st.ers of the Holy Cross and
cares for nearly 100 boys.
St. Rose's Technical School for the
District of Columbia, 1878 Phelps
place, is conducted by the Daughters
of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul.
Nearly 100 girls are taught there.
Georgetown University Hospital,
Thirty-fifth and N streets northwest,
is conducted by Sisters of the Third
Order of St. Francis. About 4,000 pa
tients were treated here last year and
about 1.600 out-patients. Connected
with this hospital is a training school
Providence Hospital. Second. Third.
D and E streets southeast, is conduct
ed by the Daughters of Charity of St.
Vincent de Paul. More than 5,000 pa
tients are treated here each year, and
18,975 were cared for at the dispen
sary last year. The social service de
partment conducts a day nursery and
visits outside pqor. There is a train
ing school for nurses with more than
Th© Soldiers’ Home Hospital, in the
beautiful 600-acr© park tract, inclosed
by the longest iron fence in the world,
just west of the Catholic University
campus, is conducted by the Daugh
ters of Charity of SB Vincent de Paul,
and has 1,658 patients.
Have Baby Hospital.
St. Ann’s Infant Asylum and Ma
ternity Hospital, 2300 K street north
west. is conducted by the Daughters
of Charity, St. Vincent de Paul, and
cares for more than 80 children.
The House of the Good Shepherd,
Thirty-sixth and Reservoir streets, is
conducted by the Sisters of Our Lady
of Charity of the Good Shepherd, and
has more than •• Inmates.
The Home of the Aged, H and Third
streets northeast, is conducted by the
CHAPEL IS NOTABLE
Edifice at Trinity College Follows
Byzantine Style—Will Seat
One of the many interesting
examples of church architecture in
Washington is the recently completed
t'hapel of Notre Dame at Trinity Col
lege. on Michigan avenue.
Constructed of light limestone, with
an entrance flanked by tall Cor
inthinian columns and surmounted
by a pillared dome supporting a
bronze cross, the chapel presents an
impressive appearance against a nat
The architecture follows the Byzan
tine style, with a roof of Spanish tile.
At the top of the entrance portico
is carved the Madonna and Child
with angels. ,
Approximately 800 persons can be
seated in the hardwood pews. Stained
glass windows cast a warm light
upon the stone walls, which are trim
med with Italian marble,' with a base
of black marble. The vaulted dome
and nave are finished in tile, set off
with arabesque medallions and
stripes brought out in gold relief
Between the 16 stained glass win
dows around the dome are symbolic
designs in colors and gold. The chan
cel walls are of silver Sienna marble.
The canopy is of marble and gold
mosaic, a crucifix will be suspended
from the rear of the canopy.
The altar is constructed of yellow
Brescian marble and the sanctuary
floor is of blocks of rose and green
marblq. Transept altars are of sim
ilar marble and tables are trimmed
in gold. The altars all were donated
by friends of the college or order.
Two shrines in mosaic and marble
were given by mothers of former
students. The sanctuary chandeliers
are of th© corona type. N Skinner
organ, containing 10.000 pipes, is a
Maginnis & Walsh of Boston, drew
the plans for the edifice and Frederick
V. Murphy was consulting architect.
Little Sisters of the Poor, and has
nearly 200 inmates
The Catholic Home for Aged Ladies.
3043 P street northwest, is conducted
by Miss Mary Horrigan. as superin
tendent, with accommodations for 15.
St. Margaret Mary Home. 3033 P
street northwest, of which • Miss
Horrigan is also superintendent, is a
boarding home for elderly ladies.
St. Catherine’s Home for self-sup
porting girls. 101 North Carolina
avenue southeast, is conducted by the
Sisters of Mercy and has 90 inmates.
The Sisters of Bon . Secours, 4100
Yuma street, take care*of the sick in
their own homes.
The Holy Family Kindergarten and
Day Nursery. 616 Third street, is con
ducted by the Ursuline Sisters.
Many Orders for Women.
Other religious orders of women in
Washington include —the Ursuline
Motherhouse, 519 Fourth street north,
west; the Convent of the Religious
of the Perpetual Adoration, 1419 V
street northwest, and the Convent of
the Sacred Heart, 1719 Massachusetts
avenue, where they have 30 pupils.
The Bureau of Catholic Indian Mis
sions has headquarters at 2021 H
street northwest. Rev. William
Hqghes is director.
Tekakwilha House, the headquar
ters of the Society for the Preserva
tion of the Faith Among Indian Chil
dren, is at 2100 H street northwest.
It is in charge of the Sisters of the
Blessed Sacrament for Indians and
colored people. Mother M. Borgia is
32 PnriMhe* in City.
There are 32 Catholic parishes in
Washington, most of which conduct
parochial schools. They include;
St. Aloysius, corner of I and North
Capitol streets northwest, where the
Jesuit fathers are in charge. Con
nected with Hi is parish is Gonzaga
College and High School and a pa
rochial school for girls conducted by
the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur.
There are 402 boys and 424 girls in
these schools. St. Aloysius Church
has just been beautifully redecorated.
It lias one distinguishing art gem.
Above the main altar is a large mural
painting by Brumidi, who did the
most notable mural decoration in the
United Stales Capitol. The painting
in St. Aloysius Church sanctuary is
the only Brumidi painting outside'the
Capitol. It represents a young prince
receiving his first holy communion.
St. Ann's. Wisconsin avenue, has a
parochial school conducted by the
Sisters of Providence, and lias 123
St. Anthony's, Monroe and Twelfth
streets northeast, has a. new school
building and is the first'model school
in the country, where teachers from
the Teachers College go to see proper
parochial school instruction exempli
fied. Every teacher in this school has
at least an A. B. degree. The Sisters
of St. Dominic are in charge.
The Assumption, corner of Alabama
avenue and Seventh street southeast,
Congress Heights, conducts missions
at Oxon Hill, Prince Georges County,
and St. Ignatius.
St. Augustine's. 1118 Fifteenth street
northwest, is for the exclusive use
of colored people, a school con
ducted by the Oblate Sisters of Provi
dence is attended by 260 pupils.
The Church of the Blessed Sacra
ment, 3733 Patterson street, Chevy
Chase, has a school conducted by the
Sisters of the Holy Cross,, with 105
pupils in attendance.
St. Cyprian’s, Thirteenth and C
streets, southeast, lias a schaal con
ducted by the Oblate Sisters of Provi
dence with 440 pupils.
St. Dominic’s, Sixth and E streets
southwest, is in charge of Dominican
fathers. In the school conducted hv
the Sisters of the Third Order of St.
Dominic there are more than 400 pu
St. Francis De Sales, Evans and
Twelfth streets northeast, conducts
missions at Mount Rainier, Prince
Georges County, and St. James.
St. Gabriel's, Varnum street north
west, near Grant Circle, is the baby
parish in Washington, it has just
built one of the finest granite school
buildings In this part of the country.
Church of th© Good Shepherd, 233
I street southwest, is for colored
Holy Comforter, Fourteenth and
East Ctrpitol streets, has a school for
500 pupils conducted by the Sisters
of St. Joseph.
Holy Name, Eleventh and K streets
Hqly Redeemer, 1139 New Jersey
avenue northwest, is for the exclu
sive use of colored people.
Holy Rosary, Third and F streets
northwest. Is an Italian parish.
Holy Trinity, Thirty-sixth and O
streets northwest (Georgetown), has
separate boys' and girls’ schools in
new buildings, both taught by the
Sisters of Mercy. There are more
than 300 boys and more than 360 girls
Immaculate Conception, Eighth and
N street northwest, has a school for
boys taught.by the Brothers of Mary,
with 150 pupils, and a school for girls
taught by the Daughters of Charity
of St. Vincent de Paul, with 200 pu
St. Joseph's, corner Second and C
streets northeast, has a parochial
school in charge of the Sisters of
Notre Dame, with 200 pupils.
St. Martin’s. North Capitol and T
streets, is building a new parochial
WILL EE AFFIRMED
Choice of Washington for
Convention Made for Im
The decision to select Washingt<*i
as the place for the present national
convention of the Holy Name Society
was reached about the first of Jantl
ary. Many petitions by other cities
were made in their anxiety to have
the delegates from all over the
United States for the Holy Name
Society meet in their respective
towns, and only after a careful
process of elimination, and the seri
ous consideration of weighty argu
ments from every side, was il de
cided that the National Capital should
be the place.
Asked how he came to select Wash
ington. Rev. M. J. Ripple, O. P. P. G. p
national director of the Holy Name
Other Cities in Race,
“For a long time the Western dele
gates, who have always been ardent
advocates for a national convention
of the Holy Name Society, have ad
vanced the argument in favor of some
Middle West city.
"The geographical distribution of
the Holy Name population of the
I nited Stales was the final determin
ing factor in the preliminary decision
that the Holy Name Convention
should be field in some Eastern city,
'The agitation of the past year and
the controversy centering around the
great doctrine of the divinitv of
Christ presented to the Holy Name
executives the inspiration that the
present National Holy Name Conven
tion should have as its keynote an
immense national profession of faith
in the great doctrine of Christ's
Found D. C. Most Fitting.
■•The ideals of the Holy Name So
ciety. its practices, its constant ad
vocacy of respect for authority and
cultivation of national patriotism all
indicated in the search for a suitable
place for the national convention that
the city of ashington stood fore
“No place, the executives argued,
is more fitting than the heart of the
nation from where this great national
act of faith in Christ’s divinity should
go up to the divine founder of Chris
tianity. In no place could it be more
opportune that a great act of na
tional patriotism could be offered in
token of allegiance to the principles
of the Constitution of the United
States, and so, turning aside from
flattering financial offers made from
several of oar great cities, the Holy
Name Society directed its attention to
** ashington, and with no greater In
ducement than the hearty welcome
which was extended by the Arch
bishop of Baltimore, and the cordial
fraternal co-operation which was of
fered to us by the civic and religious
bodies of the city, the Holv Name
societies decided upon Washington
as the national convention city."
■ 1 1 —•
Present Chaplain Helmet.
The Holy Name Society of the lire
departments of the boroughs of
Brooklyn and Queens, New York re
cently presented their chaplain, Rev.
bdward P. Costello, with a regulation
hr.- department chiefs helmet, at
tached to which was a gold plate.
The plate was inscribed appropriately
and across the front was emblazoned
in gold letters. "Chaplain N. T. P. D."
Finn Gives Clnbrooms.
**• -'Joses & Sons, furniture deal
ers. Eleventh and F streets, volun
teered to set aside a portion of the
second floor of their building as club
rooms for the delegates to the Holv
Name Convention. The companv also
provided restrooms for the wo'men
folk attending with the delegates
and furnished maids in attendance.
Praises Bishop Shahan.
“Bishop Shahan. rector of the Cath
olic Lmversity, has won the deep
gratitude of Holy Name men through
out the country for the whole-hearted
manner in which he ha's co-operited
with us for the success of the Holy
Name convention.” says Father Rip - -
pie, director general of the Holv
Name Society in America.
, Tourist Trips Arranged.
interesting auto sight-seeing par
ties will be arranged by the national
committee of the Holy Name conven
tion so as not to interfere with dele
gates attending convention sessions.
school on one of the finest elevations
overlooking the city. It lias more
than 400 pupils in attendance, under
instruction by the Sisters of Notre
Dame de Namur.
St. Mary's, Mother of God. on Fifth
street between G and H. is a German
parish. The school, conducted by the
Sisters of Notre Dame, has 158 pupils.
St. Matthew's, Rhode Island avenue
between Seventeenth and Eighteenth
streets northwest, is noted for Its
wonderful interior decorations, much
of which is mosaic.
The Church of the Xativltv, Georgia
avenue (Bright wood).
Our Lady of Perpetual Help, Fif
teenth street and .Morris rr*d south
east, is for the exclusive use of col
ored people. The school, conducted
by the Sisters of Notre Dame, has
more than 100 pupils.
Our Lady of Victory. Conduit road
and V street northwest.
St. Patrick's, 619 Tenth street north
west, which is often referred to as
the Cathedral of Washington, and
where the pan-American mass Is
celebrated on Thanksgiving day. The
parish school is conducted by the Sis
ters of the Holy Cross and lias nearly
St. Paul's. Fifteenth and V streets
northwest, where the veteran and
saintly Mgr. .lames F. Mackin is pas
tor. has recently erected a magnifi
cent school building. This school is
in charge of the Sisters of the Holy
Cross and has 229 pupils.
St. Peter’s. Second and C streets
southeast, has a school conducted by
the Sisters of the Sacred Heart, with
The Shrine of the Sacred Heart,
crowning Sixteenth street hill, and
one of the most beautiful marble
structures in this country.
St. Stephen’s, corner Pennsylvania
avenue and Twenty-fifth stbe’et, has
school conducted by the Sisters of
Notre Dante de Namur, with 145 pu
St. Teresa's, 1244 V street southeast,
has a school conducted by the Sisters
of Notre Dame, with 243 pupils.
St. Thomas the Apostle, Woodley
road and Twenty-seventh street. Just
opposite the fashionable Wardman
St. Vincent’s, South Capitol and N
Catholic priests also serve as chap
lains in District of Columbia public
Institutions, in the United States Sol
diers’ Home, in the Maryland Tuber
culosis Sanitariums for both white
and colored patients, at St. Eliza
beth's, the Government Hospital for
the Insane, and under the military
services of the government.