Newspaper Page Text
Hall Lewis, Samuel E. Lewis, Dr. Samuel E.
Lewis, J. R. Littell, John T. Loomis, H. N. Low, N. Macdaniel, Andrew J. Miller, T. Pliny Moran. Dr. William F. Morse 11, Edson B. Olds, Henry W. Olds, Dr. E. B. Olmsted, H. S. Owen, Francis H. Parsons, Maurice Pechin,'William C. Prentiss, Charles F. Randall, Charles D. Remsburg, C. E. Rice, James Q. Rice, J. L. Ridgway, Otto H. Rynex, Fred Schafhirt, Dr. Henry M. Schooley, L. W. Seely, Percy L. Seufferle, D. E. Sharrctts, A. P. Smith, George McC. Smi h, Frank H. Stephens, Alexander S. Steuart, Samuel T. Smoot, Mont Strickland, Thomas C. Tipton, Frederic W. Tower, Charles C. Tyler, Edward R. Tyler, J. West Wagner, T. H. Wentworth, jr., Irving Williamson, Ben F. Wilkins, jr., Dr. Lewes D. Wilton and H. B Zeverly; with Lewis L. Thompson as an as sociate member. r PHE non-resident members were: William G. Bates, Dr. T. A. Borryhill, Winston Bresee, Joseph G. Chandler, William D. Chandler, Wil liam Chester, Fred F. Church, George Cook, Charles R. Deane, Charles R. Dodge, James D Dunford, Leopold Eidlitz, jr., E. R. L. Gould, Dr. Leonard K. Graves, James H. Harper, Lorenzo J. Hatch. Dr. Fred L. Johnson. J. A. Kennicott, John M. Killits, A. McAdie, William C. McArthur, Charles M. McCook, S. Preston Moses, J. F. Moore, Oscar N. Oswell, Fred D. Owen, Andrew Parker, Charles D. Rhodes, George F. Rouff, James I. Sansom, John T. Schaaff, William A. Skinkle and Andrew Stew art; and the honorary members: Frank G. Col lins, Charles Flint, Dr. Theodore Hansmann, C. E. Hawley, Maj. Thomas P. Morgan. Francis H. Noyes, George C. Sargent, Col. F. A. Seely, Joseph S. Spinney, James P. Stabler, Henry Sturmey and Dr. George B. Welch. Edson B. Olds was president in 1889; Gabriel F. Johnson, vice president: Lewes D. Wilson, recording secretary; A. P. Smith, corresponding secretary; Joseph E. Learning, treasurer; H. N. Low, captain, and H. M. Schooley, chairman of amusement committee. Riding the high wheel was indeed great sport. After some of the hills around Washington be came covered with asphalt It was a common yet an interesting sight to see the riders coast ing down these miniature mountains with their l TF? \">n -■'!—*■!« gi ji f§ p . MM J. West Wagner, president of the Capi tdl Bicycle Club, photographed in 1885 on one of the *“grasshopper wheels," in vented by the English. legs thrown over the handlebars and sometimes their arms folded over their breasts. It was a reckless thing to do. but. fortunately, seldom was a rider thrown from his wheel or did an accident occur. Back in the early days bicycles were not quite as cheap as they are today. A high wheel of a good make would cost between $l5O and S2OO, and the nickel-plated ones may bave gone even a little higher. The number of spokes some of the old bicycles had is also interesting at this date. The Harvard had in the large wheel 84 and In the little wheel 26. QESTACLE races over the roughest sort of ground were much enjoyed by the riders on their holidays and special meets, and It was only the most skillful who survived these events as well as the hill-climbing contests. The century runs were also notable bicycle events back in the eighties and even a little later. Sometimes the trip was from Florida avenue and Fourteenth street to Frederick City and return to Silver Spring. Other routes were: Florida avenue and Fourteenth street to Balti more and return and thence to Little Falls and return. The same starting point was also used when the route was to New Market and return, thence to Cabin John Bridge and return. Washington to Ellicott City and return and to Oreat Falls and return to Georgetown also made good century runs, as did Washington to Me chanics !llr and return, Including Marlboro and return, and thence to Great Falls and return to Georgetown. In order to make the trip even more strenu ou*. only two miles of city riding were allowed on each century run. Anything to outdo the other fellow wan popular sport in early bicycle 4k|i, and Um rider who oould climb Good Hop* WAUIIURIMH. II L, I* I.MH ». m Beginning of a tandem race at International Athletic Park, on the Conduit road. Starter, William Jose. At his right, Fred Moore. On bicycle, in foreground, E. L. Wilson and Griffin Halstead; other bicycle, Greer and Smith, with Wren holding wheel. George "Cannon" Ball in judges' stand. Hill and Overlook Inn Hill, now Pennsylvania avenue extended, southeast, was regarded as an exceptionally good rider. About the hardest hill around Washington to climb on a high wheel was the “Stand Pipe” Hill, wiiMh Mtgnded along Sixteenth street from FlorUi W 4 to about California street. On th!« WbfMfc tfie Oarsman of May 17, 1882, has this «• nr? "To cliff!b the ‘Stand Pipe' Hill < head of Six teenth street) is now the height of ambition of the enterprising bickler. It is undoubtedly the steepest hill in the immediate vicinity of the city, and the great number of loose stones makes it all the worse. The average grade has been accurately estimated at one foot in seven, and the distance up measures almost an eighth of a mile. Warren Seely has ridden up several times on his 56 Royal Challenge. Max Hans mann and Mac Borden have also been up on •hoppers.' A number of others have made the attempt, but been obliged to dismount before reaching the summit.” "JUDGING by an item which appeared in ter- J estlng to the writer, it is evident that the time made on the high wheel was much slower than on its successor, the safety. In 1882 we find that McK. Borden cf this city held the out door record for one mile of 3 minutes and 10 seconds. The first bicycle race to take place In Wash ington occurred at lowa circle on June 29, 1880, and the first wonmn to ride a tricycle in this city, which later became popular fer awhile, specially with the gentler sex, was Mrs. Belva A. Lockwood. Then probably came Mrs. B. W. :■ :•••.'■ * A v , * E. L. If dson, champion of the District of Cidumbm, m IMt?. Hanna. Mrs. W. C. Scribner and Mrs. D. E. Fox, in order. In the writer's article on the International Athle'lc Park, just within the boundaries of the District near the Conduit road, he failed to give you the benefit of an dd write-up telling of the opening occasion on May 30, 1896, and since he feels this is interesting bicycle history he gives it to you at this time. The report follows: “Tlie new International Athletic Park, on the Conduit road, was formally opened yesterday afternoon under most auspicious conditions. "The event was made attractive by the Wash ing'on Road Club, under whose auspices half a dozen or more splendid bicycle races were rim off. "The affair, which was a grand success from beginning to end, was thoroughly enjoyed by a crowd of spectators numbering about 2,500, of whom at least half were ladies. "The new park Is splendidly situated directly on the electric road and its principal features at present are a magnificent grandstand and bleachers* and one of the best one-third-mile bicycle tracks south of New York, measuring 40 feet wide frfim pole to outer rim. “It is well laid and the turns are strongly banked and safely sloped, and altogether it is one of the prettiest of cycle tracks. "Considering the short space of time the com pany has been at work upon these grounds it has accomplished wonders and certainly de serves credit for providing such a park and very naturally the management was complimented on all sides upon the pleasing results of its work. “To Manager W. S. McKean of the park com pany is due a large share of the praise for what has been accomplished, for he has worked early and late to this end. In a few weeks the track will have settled enough to become very fast. It Is fast now. “To add to the pleasure of the afternoon the Mount Pleasant Field Band discoursed in Its usual splendid manner a large number of popu lar selections, and altogether the affair was a gala one and proved that the people are just about ripe for a park of this sort. “Fred Sims and Fred Schade were the center of attraction whenever they appeared on the track. Their individual work in the race* in which they were cast together was splendid and their work was quite a revelation to many in the audience. “Both were in top form, Sims in addition be- * ing the heavier and stronger, and is undoubtedly the best riding representative this city has had at any time. “In the fourth race, the mile event for the District championship, and the Parker, Bridget & Co. gold medal, there were entered, except ing Fred Schade. all the local cracks, including Fred Sims, bu' only three started, Fred and BUlie Sims and G. £. Smith. In this Fred Sims led all the way around, his younger brother, a novice, pumping and giving Smith cf the-Road Club a plenty to do. “Coming into the home stretch all were pedaling well, Fred leading and Billie next, hav ing the inside and outside of the track. "Within the last 100 yards Fred slacked up, and Billie, who was having it out with Smith, crossed the tape the winner by four feet, Fred second. “It was a graceful act on the part of one brother to help the other to win and it natu hilly drew forth some disapproving remarks, suggesting pockets and jockeying, but no official cognisance was taken of the matter, because there seemed to be no real ground for it other than that the older was helping the younger. Billie rode a clever race in this as well as in the novice, and clearly showed that he has good racing material in him. His father, Prof. John Sims, came down from Philadelphia to sec his work.” The writer has been fortunate in locating a picture in racing form cf E. L. Wilson, cliam- . pion of the District in 1897. He knows Mr. Wilson’s many friends *of the old bicycle days will be glad to learn that he is still going strong and can even make better time than hf used Wi —in his automobile. Power in Puget Sound reaJ ' o 'J'HE Skagit River, the largest tributary «i Puget Sound, stands ready to produce ai» most 500,000 horsepower of electricity, but It seems unlikely to be utilized. The lower 50 miles of the river are navigable and of no use, of course, for power purposes. - The upper 70 miles, however, have a fall of 1,400 feet, nearly all of which could be utilized. Experts have estimated that the natural flow of the water would produce 187,000 horsepower almost constantly and, with regulation by stor age reservoirs, this couid be increased to 487,000 horsepower. A huge reservoir has been proposed for flood control work below the juncture of the Sauk River, the dam to be erected at Faber Ferry and to be 250 or 300 feet high. The reservoir to be created behind such a dam would con trol all the flood water of these two rivers and at fhc same time fill the power needs of tho section thereabouts for some time to erme. Unfortunately, and this is where the nib romes in. It hai been found Mutt to sink tho dam to hard bottom would ' require that it be carried so far beneath the bed of the river that the cost w> tlld be prohibit Ur The bed of the stream is partly laid with un« rementrd silt and Inr rsprnsr of making 'ho bed waterpt’wrf, even though II were possible, would reach an enormous flgutr When the need for the power romes however engineer* will lawslMy nod g swtulV n r*( Mm> *»«* imW* 9