Newspaper Page Text
DISTRICT HISTORY IS ETCHED IN SCHOOL RECORDS
4 Present Sys tem's Handi caps Leave It Still Superior to That Which Educated To day's Leaders in Capital's Civic, Business, Social Spheres. By John Clagett Proctor. IT IS but natural that there should be at least a few children who were not tickled pink to return to school at this season. How ever, it is more than likely that in this respect human nature has changed but little, if any, in the last hundred years or so, and we find the little people constituted just about the same as they were, most likely, in George Washington’s day, and before. Indeed, some children are bom restless, are nervous and lack concentration, and for no par ticular reason at all, just hate to be boxed up when their minds are on swimming, fishing, playing base ball, foot baU, or doing something of less profit than acquiring an edu cation. Some—many old enough to know better—even carry their dislike for school to the extreme, and indulge in playing the "ancient” game of hooky, or truancy—deemed a more elegant way of expressing It—not realizing that if a liberal education is to be acquired, the time must be made up later, and, most likely, un der difficulties such as are not usually encountered in youth. Few old-timers did not do the things, when they were young, that they would not argue against today, but they paid the price for doing it, just as the present indifferent student must also do later on. Th* 1 rhilHrun nf t/vlnv an Joy privileges and are blessed with i conditions which their parents did; not have and could not expect, as the present generation can easily see by glancing back a lew decades and observe the type of buildings which were then called school houses. Some of these structures still are standing, but many have disappeared and only pictures, in some cases, give us a means of illustrating a comparison between those of yesteryear and to day. There are many things which are near and dear to all, but few indeed will have a more lasting im pression upon our minds than the humble, little sehoolhouse where we learned our A, B, Cs, and how to add 2 times 2. Many a great man has traveled thousands of miles from his palatial home, Just for a view of the little, one-room, red, frame build ing where his education and his career began. Of the early many school houses In Washington which have disappeared, in some instances, not even a picture of the building remains. Some, how ever, are still standing, though gen erally dilapidated and uncared for. To many of the younger generation, their history is unknown, though per chance, their parents or grandparents might have attended there-in their youthful days when they, too, like the school children of today, knew little of the problems of life or what was in store for them. Only recently, the writer visited Georgetown to see a school building erected 87 years ago, and where many an old resident of the west-end re ceived his rudimentary education. Of course it is not being used for school purposes now, since other buildings much larger, better equipped, and more modern In every way have gen erally taken the place of the early school house. particular building, known as Threlkeld School, is located on the northeast corner of Thirty sixth and Prospect streets. Thirty sixth street was not always a num bered street, for "once upon a time" It was known as Gay street, and, still ■later, Lingan street. The school was named for John Threlkeld, one of Georgetown’s early mayors, whose home, known as the Cedars, occupied the site of the Western High School. The Threlkeld home was also occupied by the‘Cox, Murdock and other old families of Georgetown. Capt. James Macubbln Lingan (usually referred to as Gen. Lingan), for whom Lingan street was named, was an officer In the American Revo lution and a cloee friend to Gen. Washington. He was in polities a Federalist, the party organ of which was the Federal Republican, printed at first in Baltimore. Alexander Contes Hanson was the editor, and, •• - ■ .. 4 Upper left: Jefferson Sta ble School, site of the Hamilton National Bank, Fourteenth and G streets. Top center: Curtis School, O street between Wiscon sin avenue and Thirty third street. Upper right: Early’Lancasterian School, 3126 O street northwest. Lower left: Potomac School, Twelfth street be tween Maryland avenue and E street southwest. Lower right: Jefferson School Building, South west Washington, as it was when dedicated in 1872. due to strenuous objection to the editorials in the paper, later was forced to have it printed in George town. However, by July 26, 1812, the publishing office was again opened in Baltimore, the editor being accom panied from Georgetown to that city by Gen. Lingan, Gen. Henry Lee ("Light Horse Harry"), Capt. Richard Crabb, Dr. Philip Warfield, Charles J. Kil gour, Otto Sprigg, Ephraim Gaither and John Howard Payne, author of "Home, Sweet Home." In a riot that took place in the Monumental City, which began on July 27, 1812, and was precipitated by an editorial in Hanson’s paper. Lingan was brutally niurdered by a mob the following day. Of his last moments it is related j that: "When the cry of ’Tory, traitor' j first reached him hethen tore open his j shirt, where the gash of the Hessian bayonet still glowed purple, and said: ‘Does this look as if I was a traitor?’ ” In 1908 Capt. Lingan’s remains were removed from his private estate, Har lem, in Georgetown, to Arlington Na tion Cemetery. In 1880 teachers at the Threlkeld School were M. Josaphine Good. Kate Reyburn, Liraie L. Gray and Hadassah Beall, and the fint-grade honor schol ars for the year ending June 30, 1879, ! were Emory Wilson, Myer Nordlinger, John Masson, Barton Miller, Henry Chamberlain, Prank Wisner, John Shoemaker, Charles O'Connel, Wor then Johnson, Bertie Chase, George Weiss, George Strauss, Edward Som mers, Frederick Kleinschmidt, John W. Coon, Amy Chamberlain, Charles Hess, Harry Hillery, Willie Martin, Revere Rodgers, Ida von Dachen hausen, Daisy Wilfong, Alfred Fisher, Joseph Bernard, Charles Hoffman, Albert Reynolds, Bennie Grimes, Charles Divine and Alfred Newman. crraae z also naa some ongnt pupils : who received diplomas for some par ticular study. They included Eugene Rhodes, Mar garet Brown, Maus Commach, Ada Delzel, Cora Drury, Richard Frizzell. Walter Hospital, Frederick Johnson, Louis Lowe, Mary McNally, Mary Mitchell, Frederick Rick, Randolph Simmons, Lulu Smith, Carl Shoe maker, Annie Tennant, Maggie Ten nant, Robert Beckham, Lula Huth. Wesley Paxson, Cornelius Davis, Wil liam McCormick and Lampkin Rob ertson. Miss Good's fourth grade scholars, who received certificates for excel lence in studies are recorded as Maria Raelker, Kate Parkhurst, Cornelia Fuller, Ernest Shoemaker, Helen Bailey, William Lowe, Jennie Allen, Emma Allen, Mary Britt, Georgia Cameron, Florence Dyer, Jesse Don aldson, Mary Englsh, Gertrude Kelley, Bertha Kaiser, Minnie Knowles, Maud Lightfoot, Margaret Quackenbush, Mildred Roelker, Anna Small, Octavla Woodward, Hilton Carmichael, Fred erick von Dashenhausen, Clara Grimes, Estelle Strauss, Mary Gurley, Lucy Gowans, Fielding Lewis, Mar garet Burdette, Lillian Collins, Bertha Kaiser, Cora Nould, Helen Janney, George Probey and Isaac Nordlinger. ^NOTHER old Georgetown Public School, remembered, no doubt, by many an early resident, was the High Street School, located at the Junction of what was once High and Market streets, now Wisconsin avenue and Thirty-third street. This build ing was of frame construction, 58 by 30 feet, with basement and two stories. The contract for its erection was awarded to Mr. Simms in May, 1860, and the school was opened in Sep temper, 1863. At the time the ground was purchased It was occupied by a residence owned by Mr. Reintzell. The site is now occupied by the Wisconsin Avenue Manual Training School. To the writer this site has its particular charm, since here was located, In 1796, a large, two-story log house with frame attachedjlnto which his great-great-grandfather, John Hines, and family moved about six years after they came to the District of Columbia. This property he sold in December, 1799, to a Hfr. Kalden bach, and temporarily moved to F street northwest, between Twenty third and Twenty-fourth streets, in Washington City, and shortly aft erward to the block bounded by D and E and Twenty-first and Twenty-sec ond streets. Prior to selling his Georgetown residence he had pur chased of William Thompson, Esq., in 1798, a building lot on the south side of F street between Tenth and Eleventh streets northwest. Here he erected a dwelling in 1800 and occupied it the same year. It being the first house erected in that block. Oppo site where his home then stood is now the department store of Wood ward & Lothrop. Today Georgetown can boast of the oldest school house In the District of Columbia, erected in 1811 as a result of the introduction in New York, in 1806, of the Lancasterian system of education, which had its inception with Dr. Andrew Bell, a Scotsman. In 1787, and perfected by Joseph Lancas ter at a later date. This early school house, now and for many years past a private resi dence, at 3126 O street, was built as a result of a memorial to the Corpora tion of Georgetown, dated October 22. 1810. It is of further historic Interest since on November 10, 1817, a meeting was held here for the purpose of organizing a new Episcopal church, which became Christ Church Parish, Georgetown. The meeting was attended, among others, by Francis Scott Key, author of "The Star 3pangled Banner”; Thomas Henderson, a distinguished naval surgeon, and Qen. McComb, then the commanding general of the Army. Here George Dashiell became the first teacher and, as shown in a report published October 8, 1811, he proved a very successful and com petent instructor, and it was he who luggested a similar school In Wash ington. However, for some obscure reason, Mr. Dashiell was succeeded by Robert Ould, who was sent out by Mr. Lancaster to take charge of this school, and it was not long before he had as many as 350 pupils, all in a single room, although a few years later, in a report dated November 8, 1815, it was stated that "Georgetown bas built a commodious and com fortable house tor the Lancasterian School, in which more than 500 chil dren are taught, and from which in structors have been sent forth and are now disseminating education from this alma mater throughout the United Btates.” But Georgetown was not without Its fine school buildings in days gone by, such as the Curtis School, an Threlkeld School. Thirty-elxth end Proepect itreeti, Georgetown. . Erected IBM. eight-room brick structure, on O street between Wisconsin avenue and Thirty-third street, which was erected in 1875 at a cost of nearly 8100,000. And this, too, when a dollar had a purchasing power several times what it has today. From the beginning space in this building was provided for the Peabody Library and the Linthicum Institute, and the prop* erty.ts still being used in the same way—war a sort of Joint tenancy; The school was named for W. W. Curtis, an early president of the Board of Trustees of the Georgetown Public Schools, REACHING school in the District of Columbia In the distant past sometimes had its unusual require ments without its Just compensation, and many of the school masters had to perform other duties on the side to make ends meet. One of these, by the name Edward Tippett, tried his hand at Inventing, and carried on as a farmer, a shoemaker, a huckster, a hirer of hacks and a preacher, while serving as principal teacher at the Easter Academy. Georgetown, however, had a unique and ingenious man who believed in making the punishment fit the crime and who was not to be bluffed by children feigning toothache In order to be excused from attending school, and so, In September, 1853, according to Jackson’s Chronicles of Georgetown, we find this principal, a Mr. Craig, who taught boys, being allowed $5 to purchase Instruments for pulling teeth. "'T'HE extraction of teeth," we are told, “was not’a punishment, but the toothache was such a common excuse for neglect of lessons and for non-attendance at school, that Mr. Craig came to the conclusion that the removal of the offending member was the best way of maintaining discipline. ‘And it was astonishing.’ said the trustee who explained this j entry, ‘to see the business he did! Odontalgia became so contagious or fashionable that Mr. Craig soon filled a quart cup. more or less, with trophies of his dentistry.’ ” The teachers of the Curtis School, as listed in April, 1876, were Bernard T. Janney, Laura A. Reed. Mrs. Mary E. Turner, Mrs. Mary J. Bates, Eliza beth Dadmun, Florence P. 8ullivan, Laura V. Blundon and Emma L. Go How Navies Line Up Britain Has Margin in Hitting Power But Duce’s Fleet Is Faster. GREAT BRITAIN || ITALY 15 — BATTLESHIPS — *3 (2 BUILDING) II T I •7 LMMf? - CRU SERS - * . I 56 — DESTROYERS — 55 II II 96 - SUBMARINES —■ 48 II These silhouettes show how typical ships of the British and Italian navies appear when sighted from bther vessels as they come up over the horizon. The figures indicate the number each country possesses in the four classes. By in* Asiociaiea pres*. WHAT portends from the con centration of British naval power in the Mediterra nean has become a moot subject for world debate as people of all nations scan reports of develop ments before the League of Nations at Geneva and the resulting reper cussions from London and Rome. A veritable armada is flying the Union Jack at Gibraltar, Malta, Cy prus and off the Sues Canal, for Eng land has stripped her home waters and moved fighting ships from the West Indies and China stations. Talk that sanctions against Italy may be imposed by the League of Nations because of the threat against Ethiopia and Mussolini’s answer that, “sanctions spell war,” are back of the situation. Experts have estimated that Brit ain has a margin over Italy in sheer hitting power, but some of them say the Dues’* fleet excels in speed. They claim Italy has some cruisers which can outapaad British daatnyea. Typical or British might is the great battle cruiser Hood, whose silhouette appears at the top of the accom panying diagram. She is of 42,100 tons displacement and carries 15-inch guns. Opposite he* is Italy’s battle ship Doris of 21,555 tons with 12-inch guns. ~ Below is the British 7,000-ton cruiser Amphlon, main battery 8-lnch guns, with a speed of 32.5 knots. Italy’s Bolzano, a 10,000-ton cruiser with 8 lnch guns, is rated at 35.5 knots, but she is reported to have done 39. Britain’s “E” class destroyers were launched in 1934, have eight torpedo tubes and mount 4.7-inch guns. The Italian destroyers of the same class as the illustrated Dardo were put out in 1931. In submarines Italy outnumbers England. The Balilla is the name craft of a sea-going class with a 3.9 inch turreted gun and tubes for tor pedoes and mine laying. The British Thames, the first of three sister ves sels, we* the first submarine to reach 88 knot Aha cartas a *-inch gun. dey. In February, 1880, Laura A. Reed was teaching boys and girls in the eighth grade; Dexter A. Smith, thl seventh grade; Mrs. Mary E. Tur ner. the sixth grade; Mrs. Mary Jane Bates was teaching a mixed class of sixth-grade pupils; Florence P. Sulli van was instructing a fifth-grade class of boys and-girls; Emma L. Godey taught a simHar class: Katie A. Wilson taught the fifth grade also, and Kate M. Blundon taught both the fourth and fifth grades. No doubt many Georgetown men and women whose hair is now streaked with gray, or maybe entirely gray, will recall with pleasure these old teachers. Beside the High Street School, the Threlkeld School and the Curtis School, there were four other public schools in Georgetown in 1880, but then we must remember the popula tion of this part of Washington was nothing like what it is today. THE old engine house at Nineteenth and H streets northwest did duty for a number of years as a school house, and at least one of the present members of the Association of Oldest Inhabitants, Walter B. Patterson, attended there in his youth. This gentleman later became a teacher in the public schools and after having served as a supervising principal for many years, was retired in June. 1931, after a service of 46 years. He is now holding an official position at Rock Creek Cemetery. In 1883 Mr. Patterson was assigned to the Force building on Massachu setts avenue, between Sixteenth and Seventeenth streets, and here he re mained until 1892, when he was transferred to another district. roaay me rorce scnooi is no aouot the most famous school in Washing ton for the noted persons who at tended there in their early life. To attempt mention of the names of all would take too much space, but a few will give an idea of the high standing of the pupils attending this old building. One, for Instance, was Maj. Gen. Douglass MacArthur, who will soon take up his new duties of or ganizing the military defenses of the new commonwealth government of the Philippines, after having served as chief of staff of the Army since No vember 21, 1930. Indeed, the military branch of the Government is more than represented in its graduates. A few, however, will suffice: Lieut. Col. Dean Halford, Q. M. C., retired: Lieut. Col. Frank Halford. U. S. M. C., retired: John Hudson Poole, former major, U. 8. A.: Philip Sheridan, son of the famous general, who died dur ing the World War; Gen. John F. Myers, U. 8. M. C., to whom the Spanish flag floating over Guam was surrendered during the Spanish-Amer Ican War, and Gen. William M. Cruickshank. Robert Wallach, son of Maj. Richard Wallach, became an Army officer, and another scholar, Da vid D. Porter—descendant of a line of eminent naval officers—led a de tachment of Marines over the Island of Sumar without a commissary. Fleming Newbold. business manager of The Evening Star, and his brothers, John, Thomas and Henry, also at tended here, as did Craig and Jamei Wadsworth, cousins of former Senatoi Wadsworth; the sons of W. S. Patton; Charles G. Sawtelie, Ju Annji officer and his BfTTfherrjfflUrrow- Charle; G. Sawtelie; Ewing Cockrell and brother, sons of Senator Cockrell; Randall Hagner; John C. Armstrong of the District Building, and his brother, W. Spencer Armstrong, vice president of the Columbia and Real Estate Title Insurance Companies The sister of the Armstrong boys, Misi Bertha J. Armstrong, taught at thlf school, and left here when she married Michael M. McNamee, novf a retired colonel, United States Armf, who saw service at San Juan Hill, and else where during the Spanist-American War, and who makes hfc home in nearby Virginia. One of his last as signments was as commandant at Fort Myer. 'THE Force School also had as stu A dents the Langhorne brothers Marshall and Kerry; the present Lady Nancy Astor; Hayden Johnson, chan cellor of the National University; Brig Gen. Joseph P. Tracy, a native son; the Purman boys, sons of Dr. J. J Purman; John M. and Edgar Hen derson, whose father always mate rially assisted the schools in obtain ing flagpoles before they were providec for by the District. The Jefferson Stable School, which once stood on the southeast comei of G and Fourteenth streets, where Strong John Thomson, who ruled with a rod. had a notable career, but nearly all who attended there are now among the missing. The Franklin building where the School Board now holds it! meetings, was finished in 1869. anc was attended by at least one of the children of the White House, as wel as many of Washington's foremoel citizens. South Washington has several ol its old schools still standing, among which are the Potomac School or Twelfth street south of Maryland ave nue and the Jefferson school at Sixth and D streets, where the following teachers were employed in 1880: Isaac Falrbrother. Mrs. Mary E. Martin, M Alice Carroll, Ellie Dunn, Mrs. Sarah E. Wise, Elizabeth J. Riley. Annie Var Horn, Susie A.' Langley, Mary L Strobel, Annie M. Whltemore, Mary A. Law, Clara L. Wilson. Rachel A Garrett, Mrs. Mary A. Bowen. Eller E. Haliday, Harriet L. Davis and Vic toria V. Trook This well known school of the sunny Southwest was dedicated December 7 1872, and has graduated many men and women foremost today in the af fairs of the National Capital. It wag one of the new school buildings erect ed during the preiod of the Territorial Government and at the time was one of the finest and most up-to-date structures of its kind in th- country. At this period nearly all the schools High Stmt School, junction of Wisconsin svenue and Thirty-third street. Ant occupied 4a 1MI. 6* Majority of Old Buildings Have Dis appeared, but Some Standing Permit of Tell ing Compar isons IV ith Modern Type Architecture. of "the island" were scattered around In rented quarters and the opening of the Jefferson school greatly relieved a bad situation. /"'JUT in what used to be called the "county." or that part of the Dis trict beyond the boundary, or what is now Florida avenue, there were several early schools, of which the writer Is somewhat personally familiar. One of these was the Mount Pleasant School, awhich stood about where is now the*1 Johnson School. In 1881 Della M. Tingle taught grades 1 and 2 in this school. Eliza beth P. Origg, who succeeded William P. Lipscomb, grades 3 and 4, and Mrs. Julia E. York grades 5 to 8. For the year ended June 30. 1879. the follow ing pupils, being instructed by Mrs. York, received diplomas as a reward for some particuar study: Albert S. j Davis, > Frank P. Davis, Alice G. ! Emery," Althea R. Hamilton. Blanche j I. Howlett, Katherina Nichols, Hubert ! E. Pack, Annie D. Pyles, Mary G. Sax I ton, Louise G. Saxton, William Tan ner and Gertrude Yeabower. Those who attended Miss Grigg s school and who were especially good in some particular way, were: Herbert C. Emery, Effie B, Spiker, Reeve Lewis, Henry Gilroy, Lorin W. Reid, Marga ret D. Young, Ursula E. Hopkins, Min nie L. White, Sadie A. tyallace, Her mian S. Wallace. Mary Wldmayer, j Rose Burgess, Josephine C. Peck, I Katherine R. Peck. Vinnie Hodges, Pulton Lewis, Irby W. Reid, Caroline Yost, Philip B. Milton. William M. Purman. Minnie A. Conradis. Clarence Exley, Louis Long and Mabel Stickney. TOURING the year preceding the one | just mentioned, the following names appear as having been pupils of grades 4 and 5: Annie D. Pyles, S. Marie Gilbert, Louise G. Saxton, Henry Yost, Europia L. Chase, Har riet K. Lasier, May M. Pierce, Ger trude E. Yeabower, E. Edward Evans and Mary Saxton. Grades 1 to 3 contain some familiar names, as folio /s. Althea R. Hamil ton, Herbert C. Emery, Emmeline Tanner, Maud Lipscomb, Effie B. Spiker, Josephine C. Peck, Ursula E. Hopkins, William L. Sutphin, Winfred V. Sutphin, Robert J. Howlett, Wil liam M. Purman, Henry Gilroy, Ful ton Lewis. Marguerite Lasier, Mabel Stickney, Mary Wldmayer, Katherine Nichols, Theodore F. Spiker, Albert W. Evans. Blanche I. Howlett, Edward K. Sturtevant and Maud M. Howlett. Hoy pleased it must make one feel, after the lapse of so many years, to see his name mentioned among the honor students of our public schools. I Indeed, we scarcely realize as we go I through life that a record is being 1 kept of many of the things we do. Billion-Dollar Crop Seen. TI/TTH the new loan policy In con ’’ nection with cotton production, the first billion-dollar crop since 1929 is anticipated this year. In th latter . the crop was valued at $1,445,000,000. From this point the value dropped to $483,000, 000 in 1932, the low point. In 1933 the value jumped mo:: than $40(5, 000,000, but there was a slight loss last year, the total value being $883, 000,000. Buy Much Butter. If ILLINO two birds with one stone, the Agricultural Adjustment Ad I ministration has purchased about 3,500,000 pounds of butter. The pur chases are an aid in providing a mar ket (or butter and at the same time will be turned over for use of the relief administration to provide butter for persons on relief. Bids submitted for cheese purchases, however, were not satisfactory and as a result no purchases were made at the time of letting the butter con tract*.