OCR Interpretation


Evening star. [volume] (Washington, D.C.) 1854-1972, September 29, 1935, Image 74

Image and text provided by Library of Congress, Washington, DC

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045462/1935-09-29/ed-1/seq-74/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for F-2

DISTRICT HISTORY IS ETCHED IN SCHOOL RECORDS
4
Present Sys
tem's Handi
caps Leave It
Still Superior
to That Which
Educated To
day's Leaders
in Capital's
Civic, Business,
Social Spheres.
By John Clagett Proctor.
IT IS but natural that there should
be at least a few children who
were not tickled pink to return
to school at this season. How
ever, it is more than likely that in
this respect human nature has
changed but little, if any, in the
last hundred years or so, and we
find the little people constituted just
about the same as they were, most
likely, in George Washington’s day,
and before. Indeed, some children
are bom restless, are nervous and
lack concentration, and for no par
ticular reason at all, just hate to
be boxed up when their minds are
on swimming, fishing, playing base
ball, foot baU, or doing something
of less profit than acquiring an edu
cation.
Some—many old enough to know
better—even carry their dislike for
school to the extreme, and indulge
in playing the "ancient” game of
hooky, or truancy—deemed a more
elegant way of expressing It—not
realizing that if a liberal education
is to be acquired, the time must be
made up later, and, most likely, un
der difficulties such as are not usually
encountered in youth. Few old-timers
did not do the things, when they
were young, that they would not
argue against today, but they paid
the price for doing it, just as the
present indifferent student must also
do later on.
Th* 1 rhilHrun nf t/vlnv an
Joy privileges and are blessed with i
conditions which their parents did;
not have and could not expect, as
the present generation can easily see
by glancing back a lew decades and
observe the type of buildings which
were then called school houses. Some
of these structures still are standing,
but many have disappeared and only
pictures, in some cases, give us a
means of illustrating a comparison
between those of yesteryear and to
day. There are many things which
are near and dear to all, but few
indeed will have a more lasting im
pression upon our minds than the
humble, little sehoolhouse where we
learned our A, B, Cs, and how to add
2 times 2. Many a great man has
traveled thousands of miles from his
palatial home, Just for a view of
the little, one-room, red, frame build
ing where his education and his
career began.
Of the early many school houses In
Washington which have disappeared,
in some instances, not even a picture
of the building remains. Some, how
ever, are still standing, though gen
erally dilapidated and uncared for.
To many of the younger generation,
their history is unknown, though per
chance, their parents or grandparents
might have attended there-in their
youthful days when they, too, like the
school children of today, knew little
of the problems of life or what was
in store for them.
Only recently, the writer visited
Georgetown to see a school building
erected 87 years ago, and where many
an old resident of the west-end re
ceived his rudimentary education. Of
course it is not being used for school
purposes now, since other buildings
much larger, better equipped, and
more modern In every way have gen
erally taken the place of the early
school house.
particular building, known as
Threlkeld School, is located
on the northeast corner of Thirty
sixth and Prospect streets. Thirty
sixth street was not always a num
bered street, for "once upon a time"
It was known as Gay street, and, still
■later, Lingan street. The school was
named for John Threlkeld, one of
Georgetown’s early mayors, whose
home, known as the Cedars, occupied
the site of the Western High School.
The Threlkeld home was also occupied
by the‘Cox, Murdock and other old
families of Georgetown.
Capt. James Macubbln Lingan
(usually referred to as Gen. Lingan),
for whom Lingan street was named,
was an officer In the American Revo
lution and a cloee friend to Gen.
Washington. He was in polities a
Federalist, the party organ of which
was the Federal Republican, printed
at first in Baltimore. Alexander
Contes Hanson was the editor, and,
•• - ■ .. 4
Upper left: Jefferson Sta
ble School, site of the
Hamilton National Bank,
Fourteenth and G streets.
Top center: Curtis School,
O street between Wiscon
sin avenue and Thirty
third street. Upper right:
Early’Lancasterian School,
3126 O street northwest.
Lower left: Potomac
School, Twelfth street be
tween Maryland avenue
and E street southwest.
Lower right: Jefferson
School Building, South
west Washington, as it was
when dedicated in 1872.
due to strenuous objection to the
editorials in the paper, later was
forced to have it printed in George
town. However, by July 26, 1812, the
publishing office was again opened
in Baltimore, the editor being accom
panied from Georgetown to that city by
Gen. Lingan, Gen. Henry Lee ("Light
Horse Harry"), Capt. Richard Crabb,
Dr. Philip Warfield, Charles J. Kil
gour, Otto Sprigg, Ephraim Gaither
and John Howard Payne, author of
"Home, Sweet Home."
In a riot that took place in the
Monumental City, which began on
July 27, 1812, and was precipitated by
an editorial in Hanson’s paper. Lingan
was brutally niurdered by a mob the
following day.
Of his last moments it is related j
that: "When the cry of ’Tory, traitor' j
first reached him hethen tore open his j
shirt, where the gash of the Hessian
bayonet still glowed purple, and said:
‘Does this look as if I was a traitor?’ ”
In 1908 Capt. Lingan’s remains were
removed from his private estate, Har
lem, in Georgetown, to Arlington Na
tion Cemetery.
In 1880 teachers at the Threlkeld
School were M. Josaphine Good. Kate
Reyburn, Liraie L. Gray and Hadassah
Beall, and the fint-grade honor schol
ars for the year ending June 30, 1879, !
were Emory Wilson, Myer Nordlinger,
John Masson, Barton Miller, Henry
Chamberlain, Prank Wisner, John
Shoemaker, Charles O'Connel, Wor
then Johnson, Bertie Chase, George
Weiss, George Strauss, Edward Som
mers, Frederick Kleinschmidt, John
W. Coon, Amy Chamberlain, Charles
Hess, Harry Hillery, Willie Martin,
Revere Rodgers, Ida von Dachen
hausen, Daisy Wilfong, Alfred Fisher,
Joseph Bernard, Charles Hoffman,
Albert Reynolds, Bennie Grimes,
Charles Divine and Alfred Newman.
crraae z also naa some ongnt pupils :
who received diplomas for some par
ticular study.
They included Eugene Rhodes, Mar
garet Brown, Maus Commach, Ada
Delzel, Cora Drury, Richard Frizzell.
Walter Hospital, Frederick Johnson,
Louis Lowe, Mary McNally, Mary
Mitchell, Frederick Rick, Randolph
Simmons, Lulu Smith, Carl Shoe
maker, Annie Tennant, Maggie Ten
nant, Robert Beckham, Lula Huth.
Wesley Paxson, Cornelius Davis, Wil
liam McCormick and Lampkin Rob
ertson.
Miss Good's fourth grade scholars,
who received certificates for excel
lence in studies are recorded as Maria
Raelker, Kate Parkhurst, Cornelia
Fuller, Ernest Shoemaker, Helen
Bailey, William Lowe, Jennie Allen,
Emma Allen, Mary Britt, Georgia
Cameron, Florence Dyer, Jesse Don
aldson, Mary Englsh, Gertrude Kelley,
Bertha Kaiser, Minnie Knowles, Maud
Lightfoot, Margaret Quackenbush,
Mildred Roelker, Anna Small, Octavla
Woodward, Hilton Carmichael, Fred
erick von Dashenhausen, Clara
Grimes, Estelle Strauss, Mary Gurley,
Lucy Gowans, Fielding Lewis, Mar
garet Burdette, Lillian Collins, Bertha
Kaiser, Cora Nould, Helen Janney,
George Probey and Isaac Nordlinger.
^NOTHER old Georgetown Public
School, remembered, no doubt, by
many an early resident, was the
High Street School, located at the
Junction of what was once High and
Market streets, now Wisconsin avenue
and Thirty-third street. This build
ing was of frame construction, 58 by
30 feet, with basement and two stories.
The contract for its erection was
awarded to Mr. Simms in May, 1860,
and the school was opened in Sep
temper, 1863. At the time the ground
was purchased It was occupied by a
residence owned by Mr. Reintzell.
The site is now occupied by the
Wisconsin Avenue Manual Training
School. To the writer this site has
its particular charm, since here was
located, In 1796, a large, two-story log
house with frame attachedjlnto which
his great-great-grandfather, John
Hines, and family moved about six
years after they came to the District
of Columbia. This property he sold
in December, 1799, to a Hfr. Kalden
bach, and temporarily moved to F
street northwest, between Twenty
third and Twenty-fourth streets, in
Washington City, and shortly aft
erward to the block bounded by D and
E and Twenty-first and Twenty-sec
ond streets. Prior to selling his
Georgetown residence he had pur
chased of William Thompson, Esq.,
in 1798, a building lot on the south
side of F street between Tenth and
Eleventh streets northwest. Here he
erected a dwelling in 1800 and occupied
it the same year. It being the first
house erected in that block. Oppo
site where his home then stood is
now the department store of Wood
ward & Lothrop.
Today Georgetown can boast of the
oldest school house In the District of
Columbia, erected in 1811 as a result
of the introduction in New York, in
1806, of the Lancasterian system of
education, which had its inception
with Dr. Andrew Bell, a Scotsman. In
1787, and perfected by Joseph Lancas
ter at a later date.
This early school house, now and
for many years past a private resi
dence, at 3126 O street, was built as
a result of a memorial to the Corpora
tion of Georgetown, dated October
22. 1810. It is of further historic
Interest since on November 10, 1817,
a meeting was held here for the
purpose of organizing a new Episcopal
church, which became Christ Church
Parish, Georgetown. The meeting was
attended, among others, by Francis
Scott Key, author of "The Star
3pangled Banner”; Thomas Henderson,
a distinguished naval surgeon, and
Qen. McComb, then the commanding
general of the Army.
Here George Dashiell became the
first teacher and, as shown in a
report published October 8, 1811, he
proved a very successful and com
petent instructor, and it was he who
luggested a similar school In Wash
ington. However, for some obscure
reason, Mr. Dashiell was succeeded
by Robert Ould, who was sent out by
Mr. Lancaster to take charge of this
school, and it was not long before he
had as many as 350 pupils, all in a
single room, although a few years
later, in a report dated November 8,
1815, it was stated that "Georgetown
bas built a commodious and com
fortable house tor the Lancasterian
School, in which more than 500 chil
dren are taught, and from which in
structors have been sent forth and
are now disseminating education from
this alma mater throughout the United
Btates.”
But Georgetown was not without
Its fine school buildings in days gone
by, such as the Curtis School, an
Threlkeld School. Thirty-elxth end Proepect itreeti, Georgetown.
. Erected IBM.
eight-room brick structure, on O
street between Wisconsin avenue and
Thirty-third street, which was erected
in 1875 at a cost of nearly 8100,000.
And this, too, when a dollar had a
purchasing power several times what
it has today. From the beginning
space in this building was provided
for the Peabody Library and the
Linthicum Institute, and the prop*
erty.ts still being used in the same
way—war a sort of Joint tenancy; The
school was named for W. W. Curtis,
an early president of the Board of
Trustees of the Georgetown Public
Schools,
REACHING school in the District
of Columbia In the distant past
sometimes had its unusual require
ments without its Just compensation,
and many of the school masters had
to perform other duties on the side
to make ends meet. One of these,
by the name Edward Tippett, tried
his hand at Inventing, and carried
on as a farmer, a shoemaker, a
huckster, a hirer of hacks and a
preacher, while serving as principal
teacher at the Easter Academy.
Georgetown, however, had a unique
and ingenious man who believed in
making the punishment fit the crime
and who was not to be bluffed by
children feigning toothache In order
to be excused from attending school,
and so, In September, 1853, according
to Jackson’s Chronicles of Georgetown,
we find this principal, a Mr. Craig,
who taught boys, being allowed $5 to
purchase Instruments for pulling
teeth.
"'T'HE extraction of teeth," we are
told, “was not’a punishment, but
the toothache was such a common
excuse for neglect of lessons and
for non-attendance at school, that
Mr. Craig came to the conclusion that
the removal of the offending member
was the best way of maintaining
discipline. ‘And it was astonishing.’
said the trustee who explained this j
entry, ‘to see the business he did!
Odontalgia became so contagious or
fashionable that Mr. Craig soon filled a
quart cup. more or less, with trophies
of his dentistry.’ ”
The teachers of the Curtis School,
as listed in April, 1876, were Bernard
T. Janney, Laura A. Reed. Mrs. Mary
E. Turner, Mrs. Mary J. Bates, Eliza
beth Dadmun, Florence P. 8ullivan,
Laura V. Blundon and Emma L. Go
How Navies Line Up
Britain Has Margin in Hitting Power But
Duce’s Fleet Is Faster.
GREAT BRITAIN || ITALY
15 — BATTLESHIPS — *3 (2 BUILDING)
II T I
•7 LMMf? - CRU SERS -
* . I
56 — DESTROYERS — 55
II
II
96 - SUBMARINES —■ 48
II
These silhouettes show how typical ships of the British and Italian
navies appear when sighted from bther vessels as they come up over the
horizon. The figures indicate the number each country possesses in the
four classes.
By in* Asiociaiea pres*.
WHAT portends from the con
centration of British naval
power in the Mediterra
nean has become a moot
subject for world debate as people of
all nations scan reports of develop
ments before the League of Nations
at Geneva and the resulting reper
cussions from London and Rome.
A veritable armada is flying the
Union Jack at Gibraltar, Malta, Cy
prus and off the Sues Canal, for Eng
land has stripped her home waters
and moved fighting ships from the
West Indies and China stations.
Talk that sanctions against Italy
may be imposed by the League of
Nations because of the threat against
Ethiopia and Mussolini’s answer that,
“sanctions spell war,” are back of the
situation.
Experts have estimated that Brit
ain has a margin over Italy in sheer
hitting power, but some of them say
the Dues’* fleet excels in speed. They
claim Italy has some cruisers which
can outapaad British daatnyea.
Typical or British might is the great
battle cruiser Hood, whose silhouette
appears at the top of the accom
panying diagram. She is of 42,100
tons displacement and carries 15-inch
guns. Opposite he* is Italy’s battle
ship Doris of 21,555 tons with 12-inch
guns. ~
Below is the British 7,000-ton cruiser
Amphlon, main battery 8-lnch guns,
with a speed of 32.5 knots. Italy’s
Bolzano, a 10,000-ton cruiser with 8
lnch guns, is rated at 35.5 knots, but
she is reported to have done 39.
Britain’s “E” class destroyers were
launched in 1934, have eight torpedo
tubes and mount 4.7-inch guns. The
Italian destroyers of the same class as
the illustrated Dardo were put out
in 1931.
In submarines Italy outnumbers
England. The Balilla is the name
craft of a sea-going class with a 3.9
inch turreted gun and tubes for tor
pedoes and mine laying. The British
Thames, the first of three sister ves
sels, we* the first submarine to reach
88 knot Aha cartas a *-inch gun.
dey. In February, 1880, Laura A.
Reed was teaching boys and girls in
the eighth grade; Dexter A. Smith,
thl seventh grade; Mrs. Mary E. Tur
ner. the sixth grade; Mrs. Mary Jane
Bates was teaching a mixed class of
sixth-grade pupils; Florence P. Sulli
van was instructing a fifth-grade class
of boys and-girls; Emma L. Godey
taught a simHar class: Katie A. Wilson
taught the fifth grade also, and Kate
M. Blundon taught both the fourth
and fifth grades. No doubt many
Georgetown men and women whose
hair is now streaked with gray, or
maybe entirely gray, will recall with
pleasure these old teachers.
Beside the High Street School, the
Threlkeld School and the Curtis
School, there were four other public
schools in Georgetown in 1880, but
then we must remember the popula
tion of this part of Washington was
nothing like what it is today.
THE old engine house at Nineteenth
and H streets northwest did duty
for a number of years as a school
house, and at least one of the present
members of the Association of Oldest
Inhabitants, Walter B. Patterson,
attended there in his youth. This
gentleman later became a teacher in
the public schools and after having
served as a supervising principal for
many years, was retired in June. 1931,
after a service of 46 years. He is now
holding an official position at Rock
Creek Cemetery.
In 1883 Mr. Patterson was assigned
to the Force building on Massachu
setts avenue, between Sixteenth and
Seventeenth streets, and here he re
mained until 1892, when he was
transferred to another district.
roaay me rorce scnooi is no aouot
the most famous school in Washing
ton for the noted persons who at
tended there in their early life. To
attempt mention of the names of all
would take too much space, but a
few will give an idea of the high
standing of the pupils attending this
old building. One, for Instance, was
Maj. Gen. Douglass MacArthur, who
will soon take up his new duties of or
ganizing the military defenses of the
new commonwealth government of the
Philippines, after having served as
chief of staff of the Army since No
vember 21, 1930. Indeed, the military
branch of the Government is more
than represented in its graduates.
A few, however, will suffice: Lieut.
Col. Dean Halford, Q. M. C., retired:
Lieut. Col. Frank Halford. U. S. M. C.,
retired: John Hudson Poole, former
major, U. 8. A.: Philip Sheridan, son
of the famous general, who died dur
ing the World War; Gen. John F.
Myers, U. 8. M. C., to whom the
Spanish flag floating over Guam was
surrendered during the Spanish-Amer
Ican War, and Gen. William M.
Cruickshank. Robert Wallach, son of
Maj. Richard Wallach, became an
Army officer, and another scholar, Da
vid D. Porter—descendant of a line
of eminent naval officers—led a de
tachment of Marines over the Island
of Sumar without a commissary.
Fleming Newbold. business manager
of The Evening Star, and his brothers,
John, Thomas and Henry, also at
tended here, as did Craig and Jamei
Wadsworth, cousins of former Senatoi
Wadsworth; the sons of W. S. Patton;
Charles G. Sawtelie, Ju Annji officer
and his BfTTfherrjfflUrrow- Charle;
G. Sawtelie; Ewing Cockrell and
brother, sons of Senator Cockrell;
Randall Hagner; John C. Armstrong
of the District Building, and his
brother, W. Spencer Armstrong, vice
president of the Columbia and Real
Estate Title Insurance Companies
The sister of the Armstrong boys, Misi
Bertha J. Armstrong, taught at thlf
school, and left here when she married
Michael M. McNamee, novf a retired
colonel, United States Armf, who saw
service at San Juan Hill, and else
where during the Spanist-American
War, and who makes hfc home in
nearby Virginia. One of his last as
signments was as commandant at Fort
Myer.
'THE Force School also had as stu
A dents the Langhorne brothers
Marshall and Kerry; the present Lady
Nancy Astor; Hayden Johnson, chan
cellor of the National University; Brig
Gen. Joseph P. Tracy, a native son;
the Purman boys, sons of Dr. J. J
Purman; John M. and Edgar Hen
derson, whose father always mate
rially assisted the schools in obtain
ing flagpoles before they were providec
for by the District.
The Jefferson Stable School, which
once stood on the southeast comei
of G and Fourteenth streets, where
Strong John Thomson, who ruled with
a rod. had a notable career, but nearly
all who attended there are now among
the missing. The Franklin building
where the School Board now holds it!
meetings, was finished in 1869. anc
was attended by at least one of the
children of the White House, as wel
as many of Washington's foremoel
citizens.
South Washington has several ol
its old schools still standing, among
which are the Potomac School or
Twelfth street south of Maryland ave
nue and the Jefferson school at Sixth
and D streets, where the following
teachers were employed in 1880: Isaac
Falrbrother. Mrs. Mary E. Martin, M
Alice Carroll, Ellie Dunn, Mrs. Sarah
E. Wise, Elizabeth J. Riley. Annie Var
Horn, Susie A.' Langley, Mary L
Strobel, Annie M. Whltemore, Mary
A. Law, Clara L. Wilson. Rachel A
Garrett, Mrs. Mary A. Bowen. Eller
E. Haliday, Harriet L. Davis and Vic
toria V. Trook
This well known school of the sunny
Southwest was dedicated December 7
1872, and has graduated many men
and women foremost today in the af
fairs of the National Capital. It wag
one of the new school buildings erect
ed during the preiod of the Territorial
Government and at the time was one
of the finest and most up-to-date
structures of its kind in th- country.
At this period nearly all the schools
High Stmt School, junction of Wisconsin svenue and Thirty-third street.
Ant occupied 4a 1MI.
6*
Majority of
Old Buildings
Have Dis
appeared, but
Some Standing
Permit of Tell
ing Compar
isons IV ith
Modern Type
Architecture.
of "the island" were scattered around
In rented quarters and the opening of
the Jefferson school greatly relieved a
bad situation.
/"'JUT in what used to be called the
"county." or that part of the Dis
trict beyond the boundary, or what is
now Florida avenue, there were several
early schools, of which the writer Is
somewhat personally familiar. One
of these was the Mount Pleasant
School, awhich stood about where is
now the*1 Johnson School.
In 1881 Della M. Tingle taught
grades 1 and 2 in this school. Eliza
beth P. Origg, who succeeded William
P. Lipscomb, grades 3 and 4, and Mrs.
Julia E. York grades 5 to 8. For the
year ended June 30. 1879. the follow
ing pupils, being instructed by Mrs.
York, received diplomas as a reward
for some particuar study: Albert S.
j Davis, > Frank P. Davis, Alice G.
! Emery," Althea R. Hamilton. Blanche
j I. Howlett, Katherina Nichols, Hubert
! E. Pack, Annie D. Pyles, Mary G. Sax
I ton, Louise G. Saxton, William Tan
ner and Gertrude Yeabower.
Those who attended Miss Grigg s
school and who were especially good
in some particular way, were: Herbert
C. Emery, Effie B, Spiker, Reeve Lewis,
Henry Gilroy, Lorin W. Reid, Marga
ret D. Young, Ursula E. Hopkins, Min
nie L. White, Sadie A. tyallace, Her
mian S. Wallace. Mary Wldmayer,
j Rose Burgess, Josephine C. Peck,
I Katherine R. Peck. Vinnie Hodges,
Pulton Lewis, Irby W. Reid, Caroline
Yost, Philip B. Milton. William M.
Purman. Minnie A. Conradis. Clarence
Exley, Louis Long and Mabel Stickney.
TOURING the year preceding the one
| just mentioned, the following
names appear as having been pupils
of grades 4 and 5: Annie D. Pyles,
S. Marie Gilbert, Louise G. Saxton,
Henry Yost, Europia L. Chase, Har
riet K. Lasier, May M. Pierce, Ger
trude E. Yeabower, E. Edward Evans
and Mary Saxton.
Grades 1 to 3 contain some familiar
names, as folio /s. Althea R. Hamil
ton, Herbert C. Emery, Emmeline
Tanner, Maud Lipscomb, Effie B.
Spiker, Josephine C. Peck, Ursula E.
Hopkins, William L. Sutphin, Winfred
V. Sutphin, Robert J. Howlett, Wil
liam M. Purman, Henry Gilroy, Ful
ton Lewis. Marguerite Lasier, Mabel
Stickney, Mary Wldmayer, Katherine
Nichols, Theodore F. Spiker, Albert
W. Evans. Blanche I. Howlett, Edward
K. Sturtevant and Maud M. Howlett.
Hoy pleased it must make one feel,
after the lapse of so many years, to
see his name mentioned among the
honor students of our public schools.
I Indeed, we scarcely realize as we go
I through life that a record is being
1 kept of many of the things we do.
Billion-Dollar Crop Seen.
TI/TTH the new loan policy In con
’’ nection with cotton production,
the first billion-dollar crop since 1929
is anticipated this year.
In th latter . the crop was
valued at $1,445,000,000. From this
point the value dropped to $483,000,
000 in 1932, the low point. In 1933
the value jumped mo:: than $40(5,
000,000, but there was a slight loss
last year, the total value being $883,
000,000.
Buy Much Butter.
If ILLINO two birds with one stone,
the Agricultural Adjustment Ad
I ministration has purchased about
3,500,000 pounds of butter. The pur
chases are an aid in providing a mar
ket (or butter and at the same time
will be turned over for use of the relief
administration to provide butter for
persons on relief.
Bids submitted for cheese purchases,
however, were not satisfactory and as
a result no purchases were made at
the time of letting the butter con
tract*.

xml | txt