The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Decorah-posten og ved arnen.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Decorah-posten og ved arnen. [volume] : (Decorah, Iowa) 1903-1972
Alternative Titles:
  • Decorah posten
  • Decorah posten og ved arnen skandinaven
  • Ved arnen
Place of publication:
Decorah, Iowa
Geographic coverage:
  • Decorah, Winneshiek, Iowa  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
B. Anundsen
Dates of publication:
1903-1972
Description:
  • 30te aarg., nr. 23 (10. nov. 1903)-99de aarg., nr. 17 (28. des. 1972).
Frequency:
Weekly 29. okt. 1942-28. des. 1972
Language:
  • English
  • Norwegian
Subjects:
  • Decorah (Iowa)--Newspapers.
  • Iowa--Decorah.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218583
  • Iowa--Winneshiek County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212628
  • Norwegians--United States--Newspapers.
  • Norwegians.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01039481
  • United States.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204155
  • Winneshiek County (Iowa)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Also issued on microfilm from Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, and Library of Congress, Photoduplication Service.
  • In Norwegian with some articles and advertisements in English.
  • Includes weekly literary supplement called: Ved arnen, <2. jan. 1940-30. aug. 29, 1970>.
  • Issues for 10. nov. 1903- called also l. nr. 1980-
LCCN:
sn 83045473
OCLC:
1699348
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Decorah-posten og ved arnen. [volume] November 10, 1903 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Decorah-posten and Decorah-posten og ved arnen

The Decorah-Posten was one of the longest-running foreign-language newspapers in the state of Iowa and one of the largest Norwegian newspapers in the nation. It was established in 1874 by Brynild Anundsen, and he continued to publish for nearly a century. Decorah, located in Winneshiek County in northeast Iowa, became a center of Norwegian-American culture after large numbers of Norwegian immigrants began settling there in the 1850s.

Brynild Anundsen was born in Skien, Norway, on December 29, 1844, and had little formal education during his early years. At age 20, he left Norway for North America, arriving first in Quebec in April 1864. Anundsen soon moved to Milwaukee before finally settling in La Crosse, Wisconsin. In 1865, he married Mathilde Hoffstrom and the following year they purchased a small printing press and began publishing a Norwegian literary magazine called Ved Arnen (By the Hearth). In 1867, Anundsen was offered a new job as a printer for the Synod of the Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran Church, so he and his wife moved to Decorah, Iowa.

Anundsen's first foray into newspaper publishing came in 1870, when he started Fra Fjærnt og Nær (From Far and Near). The paper was short-lived, but Anundsen's second attempt led to greater success when he launched the Decorah-Posten on September 18, 1874. The Decorah-Posten was strictly nonpartisan and focused on local news as well as items of interest from Norway and Norwegian and Danish communities around the United States. It also stayed true to Anundsen's literary interests, featuring serialized fiction, popular Norwegian songs, and eventually reviving Ved Arnen as a literary supplement to the newspaper. By its second decade, the Decorah-Posten's circulation grew to over 20,000.

As the business grew more successful, Anundsen remained as publisher but passed the editorial role on to others. Johannes B. Wist served as editor from 1901 until his death in 1923. He was succeeded by co-editors Kristian Prestgard and Simon Johnson. The Decorah-Posten continued to prosper, absorbing the Minneapolis Tidende in 1935 and Chicago's Skandinaven in 1941. After three more decades of publication, the Decorah-Posten ceased in 1972, when it was purchased by the Western Viking.

Provided by: State Historical Society of Iowa