OCR Interpretation

The day book. (Chicago, Ill.) 1911-1917, July 24, 1913, Image 5

Image and text provided by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library, Urbana, IL

Persistent link: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045487/1913-07-24/ed-1/seq-5/

What is OCR?

Thumbnail for

Arturo Giovannitti, leader of the
Industrial Workers of tne World,
who was held in jail with Joe Ettor
on a framed-up charge of murder at
Lawrence, Mass., for months, will be
in Chicago Saturday afternoon.
Giovannitti's chief reason for com
ing here is to file suit for libel against
the Socialist Party of America and
its chief leaders.
The Socialists, in their newspapers
and from the platform, have made
the charge that the Lawrence de
fense fund, which was in the hands
of Giovannitti, Ettor and the Law
rence strike leaders, was misused.
The Industrial Workers of the
World are determined to force the
Socialists into court so that charge
may be proved true or false once
and for all.
Giovannitti will address a mass
meeting in Bowen Hall, Hull House,
Saturday night, and another to which
all organized and .unorganized labor
in the city has been invited at Gar
den City Grove, 111., Sunday afternoon.
Joseph Fish, millionaire head of
the firm of Joseph Fish & Co., fire
insurance adjusters, today denied
parts of the story told by Mrs. Fannie
Korshak, wife of David Korshak, to
the grand jury, in which she impli
cated Fish with the alleged arson
Mrs. Korshak's husband is a fugi
tive from justice. He was released on
$30,000 bail and fled the country.
The woman charged that the Fish
concern adjusted a loss for Leopold
Dreyfuss, who had a fire at his cloth
ing store, 232 S. Market street, in
Dreyfuss, who was accused of ar
son, was found dead in his home
three days later. It is supposed he
committed suicide.
"I never had the Dreyfuss busi
ness in my office," said Fish. "1 dont
know Dreyfuss, and I am in no man
ner connected with the 'arson trust.'
The Dreyfuss business was handled
by a man whose name I won't mention."
Fire which started in the basement
of the Globe Laundry, 222 S. Morgan
street, early today, caused the injury
of two firemen, forced a score of per
sons, living in adjoining rooming
houses to flee to the street, and did
damage to the machinery and build
ing estimated at $100,000.
A report that the fire had started
from an explosion in the basement
was denied by Charles T. Luckow,
secretary of the company. He said
all explosive liquids were kept in a
lot at the rear of the building.
Roger Mas, the watchman, discov
ered the fire while making his rounds
at 5 o'clock. He was on the top floor
of the three-story building when, he
says, he heard an explosion. Rush
ing to the ground floor, he found
flames shooting up the stairway from
the basement.
The first engines summoned were
powerless to stop the spread of the
flapaes, and general alarm was turned
in. Sparks were showered on roofs
of neighborhood buildings, which are
mostly frame. The laundry has an
alley on two sides and a vacant lot
in the rear, enabling the firemen to
battle the blaze from every side. This
was the only thing which prevented
the destruction of other buildings in
the neighborhood. The building was
almost completely destroyed in half
an hour.
A second fire, in the plant of the
Omaha Packing Co., Lumber and S.
Halsted streets, stubbornly resisted
the firemen before it was gotten un
der control. Starting in warehouse
A, the flames leaped to warehouse
B, but damage was confined to the
two buildings. The loss was esti
mated at $25,000.

xml | txt