OCR Interpretation

The day book. (Chicago, Ill.) 1911-1917, November 25, 1913, Image 2

Image and text provided by University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Library, Urbana, IL

Persistent link: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83045487/1913-11-25/ed-1/seq-2/

What is OCR?

Thumbnail for

who were acquainted with the story when Field died Said that he was not
shot at the Everleigh Club, although he used to frequent that notorious
Others, including newspaper reporters who were assigned to the story
when the killing happened, said the story was substantially true, but th I
it was hushed up at the time, and that after reporters had been working
oil the story for hours they were called into their respective offices and told
there was nothing doing in the line of publicity.
One story was that the editors of the various papers held a meeting
and unanimously decided not to publish the story.
However, the police officers who were on duty in that district at the
time still suck to the story tney torn
then, that Field died from accidental
shooting at his own home.
The story given to the public at the
time was that Field had accidentally
shot himself while cleaning his shot
gun, preparatory to a hunting trip.
There;Js nothing, however, in the
evidence on the records of the" cor
oner's office to back up this story.
Nor does that evidence clear up the
The butler and the trained nurse
at the Field home both testified that
they had been called to Field's room
by one of the maids and that Mien
they arrived Field was lying on a
" sofa.
That maid herself was never called
to the stand to testify and explain
how she happened to discover that
Field was shot.
The late Marshall Field, Sr., father
of the man who was killed, was the
first witness called at the coroner's
inquest, but could teUjiothing of the
shooting, as he had-not-seen his son
on Nov. 22, the day JField was shot.
Frederick Lowe, the butler, was
then called. "I was with Mr. Field in
his room about 3:30 that afternoon,"
he testified, "and then I went down
stairs. About 4:30 I heard the maid
scream and I rushed up. The girl
pointed to Mr. Field's room and I
went in. Mr. Field was lying across
the sofa. I revived him with some
brandy. When he recovered - he
moaned, 'Is there any hope for me?
Can you do anything?' An auto
matic revolver was on the floor at his
side. I called" the doctor"
Dr. W. E. Post,- 35 Tweitfy-second
street (old number), was then called.
He was the first physician to reach
Field's side. His testimony dealt
mostly with medical terms.
Geoigiana Penfield, 18 Bellevue
place, a trained nurse at the house,
also brought in the story of the mys
terious maid, who had alarmed the
house after the shooting.
"I met Mr. Field coming upstairs
about 2:30 the afternoon of the 22d,"
she Said. "I then went to the rear
of the house and stayed there until
1 heard the' maid scream. I had heard
no shot. When I entered Mr. Field's
room he was on the sofa."
Dr. Frank Billings told this story
on the stand: "I went to the Mercy
Hospital about 6:30 that evening and
attended "Mr. Field. I tried to talk
to him, but he never explained -the
circumstances of the shooting. I
knew he had been feeling despondent,
due to the fact that his physical
strength and nervous debility were
not sufficient to enable him to carry
on his own business. The family had
intended going to their country home
at Lakewood the fohpwing day. Mr.
Field always had a great collection of.
revolvers and was very proud of
them. He always carried one with
Dr. R. H. Harxey, 2100 Calumet
avenue, reached the Field home
shortly after Dr. Post. He said he
had talked to Field and the wounded
man to'ld him he did not know how
it happened.
James Simpson of the firm of Mar
shall Field & Co. and Stanley Field
testified that they had met Field
-fedfeaj'. rto-J fefcj

xml | txt