Newspaper Page Text
HENRY FORD PLANS FOR NO MORE DULL
SEASONS IN HIS FACTORIES Ford's idea in launching the world's biggest profit-sharing scheme is avowedly to carry out an "act of social justice" and to aid the idle. The money to be shared with the employes will be diverted from the stockholders to them; not through an increase, in the cars manufactured and sold to the public. His idea is the outcome of a con tinued study of the problems of capi tal and labor and their possible solu tion. He has created the plan because he believes that a great, contented, prosperous mass of people is more to. be desired than a few multi-millionaires. Here are the details of his remark able scheme: Ten million dollars, estimated profits of ..914, to be divid ed among the 15,000 employes in Detroit and 7,500 in other parts of the United States and elsewhere. Daily hours of labor to be reduced from 9 to 8. Minimum wage of employes now is $2.34 for a nine-hour day. Hereafter it will be $5 a day for any man over 22. This will affect approximately 90 per cent of the employes. The other 10 per cent will also benefit to an extent. Women working in the establish ment will profit under a separate plan yet to be worked out. The amount of profits to be divided will vary from year to year, based on a yearly estimate of the business. The concern expects to put on about 4,000 more employes. The fea ture of the plan is one of .the dearest to the heart of Henry Ford, whose kindly face changes visibly as he looks out from his office window at the great crowds of needy men, most of whom bear unmistakable signs of impoverishment. Still another of the ideas which the motor king hopes to work out BY GERTUDE PRICE. Detroit, Mich., Jattv-Q. "We be lieve in making 20,000 men prosper ous and contented rather than to follow the plan of making a few slave-drivers in our establishment multi-millionaires." Henry Ford. This is the nucleus of the wonderful ly practical and humane plan through which Henry Ford, the auto mobile king, proposes to make his workers co-sharers in the profits of the great money-making concern of which he is the head, the Ford Motor Co. Men! Men! Men! Old men who must have been grandfathers years ago. Young men who are striving to get a hold on the ladder of life while yet the year is in its swaddling clothes; foreign men, American men, short and tall men, illy-dressed and well-dressed men swarmed about the Ford factory here today in a mad nish to secure employment with one ,vho offers butter as well as bread, lope as well as existence, for a good lay's work this year. Every street car seemed to be go ing toward the factory and every nan seemed to be headed" that way. nd what manner of man is this who -oluntarily agrees to himself place ?10,000,000 of profits a year in the )ockets of his employes? Where did this inventor of a new md prodigious humanitarian scheme et his ideas? What made him do it? I came to Detroit today to find out First Henry Ford is one of nature's men, unchanged by a skyrocket .ransition from seclusion and" noth ingness to wealth and position. He is probably about 5 feet 9 inches and tie looks the normal weight of a man who works at least a part of the day until the sweat is on his brow. He is unpretentious in manner of dress, manner of living and manner of speech, .