Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Delawarean. [volume] (Dover, Del.) 1859-1927
Dover, Del. (1859-1927)
- The Delawarean. [volume] : (Dover, Del.) 1859-1927
- Place of publication:
- Dover, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- James Kirk
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased with Mar. 25, 1927 issue.
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 7, 1859)-
- Dover (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm from Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs, Dover.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 84020427
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Delawarean, a weekly newspaper founded in Dover by the Delawarean Company (James Kirk, editor), was first published on May 7, 1859. The Delawarean quickly established itself as a mouthpiece of the state's Democratic Party and was known for the strength of its political commentary. The newspaper's ties to the Democratic Party were strengthened on March 4, 1876, when ownership of the Delawarean passed to Eli Saulsbury, who installed Charles E. Fenn as manager. Saulsbury came from a notable Democratic family in Kent County. He served as a U.S. Senator from 1871 until 1889. His older brother, Gove, was Governor of Delaware from 1865 until 1871, and his younger brother, Williard, served as Delaware's Attorney General from 1850 to 1855, U. S. Senator from 1859 to 1871, and as Chancellor of Delaware from 1873 to 1892.
On January 1, 1884, John F. and John Ponder Saulsbury, son of Williard, assumed ownership of the Delawarean. Following in his family's footsteps, John F. served in the Delaware House of Representatives from 1885 to 1887. In January 1887, John Ponder retired from the newspaper after being appointed Secretary of State for Delaware, leaving John F. Saulsbury sole owner and editor. John F. was appointed Secretary of State to succeed John Ponder and served from 1889 to 1891.
On February 17, 1894, ownership of the Delawarean passed to William Saulsbury, who served as editor. In 1902, William re-established the Delawarean Company with himself as president and with his cousin, Williard Saulsbury Jr., as vice-president. The Delawarean was published as a weekly newspaper from 1859 until 1898, when it shifted to a semiweekly publication schedule until 1901. The last issue of the Delawarean was published on March 25, 1927.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE