The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Museum of Delaware & general advertiser.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1943 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 12,523,789

Title:
The Museum of Delaware & general advertiser. [volume] : (Wilmington, Del.) 1807-1809
Alternative Titles:
  • Museum of Delaware and general advertiser
Place of publication:
Wilmington, Del.
Geographic coverage:
  • Wilmington, New Castle, Delaware  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Joseph Jones
Dates of publication:
1807-1809
Description:
  • Vol. 3, no. [132] (Jan. 3, 1807)-v. 4, no. 259 (June 24, 1809).
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Delaware--Wilmington.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01203983
  • Wilmington (Del.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Also available on microopaque from Readex Microprint Corp.
LCCN:
sn 84020429
OCLC:
2670561
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

The Museum of Delaware & general advertiser. [volume] June 24, 1809, Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Museum of Delaware, The Museum of Delaware & General Advertiser and The Delaware Gazette

The Museum of Delaware began publication on June 30, 1804. Founded by Joseph Jones, the newspaper was published every Saturday in Wilmington. The Museum of Delaware billed itself as a "political, literary and miscellaneous" weekly. It included reprinted articles from other newspapers and European magazines as well as poetry and notices of debts against estates, land for sale, and houses to rent. In addition, the paper included news of a reward for a runaway apprentice, the sale of an engraving of General Alexander Hamilton, and the closing of a school.

The Museum of Delaware ceased publication sometime in 1806, but resumed on January 3, 1807, under the title Museum of Delaware and General Advertiser. Still printed and published by Joseph Jones, it cost $2 per year and included a variety of news items of local interest. These included notices of a patent for a washing machine, a runaway wife and her rebuttal, a runaway slave from Appoquinimink Hundred, novels for sale, and an anchor found in Delaware Bay. The paper also contained a large advertisement from Lee's Genuine, Patent and Family Medicines, a summary of a meeting of the Red Men fraternity, and information regarding the Wilmington College Lottery. The June 24, 1809 issue of the Museum of Delaware and General Advertiser also reprinted Congressional news such as laws passed by the First Session of the 11th Congress approved President Madison. These included the appointment of an agent for a land office in Kansas. This issue proved to be the last of the paper under this title.

Beginning on July 8, 1809, Joseph Jones renamed the newspaper the Delaware Gazette. The Gazette followed much the same format as its predecessors, but with more emphasis on American political news. Jones was now vocal in his opposition to the Federalist Party and noted that the newspaper would be anti-Federalist in tone. He wrote, "It is our decided opinion, and we shall by occasional essays on the subject, endeavor to prove it well founded, that a party exists in this country, who, under the imposing name of Federalists, are endeavoring to sap the very foundation of those institutions which they so much admire."

The Delaware Gazette remained in publication until June 30, 1810.

Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE