Newspaper Page Text
is well known, however, that Bartram labored in
this field and did much for the advancement of the Science, by travelling to the South and exploring the wilds of that region. What works he published, oth er than a volume of travels, we have not the means of The " Elements of Botany, or the out Knowing. linos of the natural history of vegetables, by Benja Imin Smith Barton," is before us, and, so far ns we pable of judging, is a valuable work, and one Iwliich every young Botanist will study with interest, [ami with amusement too, for it abounds, in no small Ljenrec, in that agreeable quality. hi the year 1774, the late Humphrey Marshall estab lished his Botanic garden, at Marshallton. He appli ed himself diligently to the improvement of the place, and to the collection of plants, especially such as were indigenous to the United States. The garden soon obtained a reputation, and for many years before his death, it had become an object of curiosity to men of After his decease in the year 1801, but few improvements were made in the garden, and since the death of Dr Moses Marshall in the year 1813, the Botany of the place seems to have been entirely ne glected. But it still exhibits many interesting relics, as Pine and Fir trees, the Willow-leaved and English Oaks, the Kentucky Nickar tree, the Buck-eye, and several species of Magnolia. These, with various in teresting shrubs and herbaceous plants which survive the general ruin, (and as we surmise, no little of pil lage,) are memorials of the interest which was former ly taken in the garden by its venerable founder. Humphrey Marshall was born on the 10th of Oct. 1722, 0. S. in West Bradford township, near the west branch of Brandywine, and died Nov. 5, 1801. He received an ordinary English education, and went very little to School. What Latin he knew, he acquired by occasional lessons from a School master who unis en are ca .M'lence. gaged in the neighborhood. He was almost wholly self-taught, and as his Father, by continued industry had obtained a large property, our Botanist was per mitted to gratify his propensity for reading. In his botanical excursions, he was remarkable for the rapidi ty with which he detected plants; but towards the close of his life, he was afflicted with blindness. His disposition was benevolent, Ins judgment vigorous, his I memory retentive. The science of plants was his ■ "favorite study, and before he established his Botanic garden at Marshallton, he had cultivated one on a smaller scale, on the plantation now occupied by Joshua Marshall. In 1789, he published the " Arbus tum Americanum, or Catalogue of American forest I trees and shrubs, in which he was assisted by his ! nephew the late Dr Moses Marshall, aforesaid, who was a Botanist of considerable merit, and at the re quest of his uncle had travelled through many of the States, in search of American plants, John Jackson—This name is associated with many flf our most agreeable recollections ; born within 3 miles of each other, in Londougrove township, Ches ! ter County. Though John Jackson had seen years enough to render the venerable appellation of Father justly due to him, yet a firm friendship subsisted be tween us from the time he first considered us worthv ot notice until the dav of his death, lie was born on the 9th of Nov, 1748. den about the year 1776. <md a half of ground, and is located in a limestone valley of extraordinary beauty and fertility, green house is attached to the place ; a spring yield ing an abundant supply of water, takes its rise near the centre of the garden and affords an opportunity for the growth of aquatic plants, and such as delight in a humid soil. The place presents a numerous col lection of foreign and indigenous plants of much in terest to the student in Botany. He was a plain, un ostentatious man, of mild and amiable manners, and sincere hospitality. Ho departed this life in his native township on the 20th Dec. 1821. Hisson, William Jack ion, the present proprietor of the garden, inherits his father's love for natural science, and employs himself in making gradual improvements in the establishment. The " Report on the progress and present condi tion of the Chester County Cabinet of Natural Sci 'Ttce." enables us to say of l)r William Baldwin, Hc commenced his gar It contains near an acre A small the the in of that he was a very zealous botanist—was born in Ncwlin township, Chester County, Penn, on the 29th of March, 1779, received the degree of Doctor of Medicine in the University of Pennsylvania, on the 10th of April, 1807, and in the autumn of 1811 he removed to the Southern Stutcs. Mr Elliott's sketch bears ample testimony to the ability and extent of his researches. During his residence in the South he traversed the greater part of East Florida and much of Georgia, on foot, in quest of plants. Many of the specimens collected by him in that region, are con tained in the Herbarium of the Chester County Cabi net. In 1812 he was appointed a Surgeon in the Navy of the U. S. and in 1817 he made a voyage to Buenos Ayres in a national vessel, during which voy age he made large additions to his botanical collec Bv the appointment of government, he attend ed Major Long in his expedition to the Yellow Stone River, upon which occasion he fell a victim to the Pulmonary Consumption. He died on the Missouri on the 1st of September, 1819, universally regretted. A more amiable and genuine Philanthropist has sel dom lived. He was as free from guile, as the simple nature in which ho so much delighted. At his death his herbarium, which was very large and valuable pas sed into the hands of Zaclieus Collins, Esq. of Phila delphia, who purchased it, as was understood, for the Academy of Natural Science. The next upon our list, of whose works we have any knowledge, is Dr William Darlington, another native of Chester county, and one whom we have the pleasure of numbering amongst our personal acquain tance. The Report above quoted savs " our situation forbids us to enlarge upon the character and botani cal acquirements of Dr Darlington." Happily for the writer of this compilation, he is under no such re strictions, and will therefore venture to say that if Dr Darlington is not the most eminent Botanist in Penn sylvania, he is second but to few. tions. ! Ilis merit, howev er, is well known. By botanical explorations in the vicinity of West Chester, accompanied with a fami liar and easy mode of imparting instruction, he infus ed a love of natural science into many persons, who are now engaged in the study of nature. His perse vering exertions contributed in a great measure to the formation of the Chester County Cabinet, and much of the success which attended their operations is to be ascribed to his ardor in the cause. He deposited his extensive and valuable Herbarium in the cabinet at the organization of the society, and in the Botanical department almost every thing has been supplied by his skill and labor. In the Spring of 1826 Dr Dar lington published his " Florida Cortrica," an essay towards a catalogue of the Pluenogamous plants, na tive and naturalized, growing in the vicinity of West Chester, with brief notices of their properties, and uses, in medicine, rural economy and the arts. merat.es 735 plants which are either indigenous naturalized in Chester County, besides 118 which cultivated for useful purposes. This compilation being now extended to a much greater length than was at first contemplated, and the materials at hand being nearly exhausted, 1 will elude by observing that the research has almost in duced me, even ai this late day, to begin the study of this interesting science. Be that as it may, I trust that many of our young members will enter upon it one that offers attractions to medical practitioners, the artist, and the curious inquirer into the secrets of ture ; and promises a happy blending of the useful with the agreeable. the 29, c > be It enu or are COI1 as REVOLUTION IN BUENOS AYRES. By the arrival at Baltimore of the brig Celerio, in fifty-two days from Buenos Ayres, information is re ceived of a revolt which had taken place, by which the constituted authorities of the Argentine Republic were removed. We are indebted to our friends of the Baltimore American and Republican, for slips, containing full details of the affair. They vary as to the coloring given to the facts, and as to the probable result that may be expected from them. Un the conclusion of peace with Brazil, it the held shall was in of he he found necessary to order a certain portion of the B A. army which had been for two years and a half gaged in service in the Banda Oriental, to the fron tiers, 1er the purpose of defending them against the Indians. The army however, were dissatisfied with the government, and desirous of resting awhile under their laurels in Buenos Ayres, among their relations and friends. They demanded permission to return, which Gov. Dorego had not the power to refuse, and from the 21st to the 28th of November, 2800 soldiers were received into the city, under the command of General Lavalle. An insurrectionary movement expected ; and on the night of the 30th, Governor D. sent an order to General L. to repair to the fort. He answered that he would come directly at the head oC his lancers ; but that it would be for the purpose of displacing the government. Gov. D. left the fort at 4 o'clock in the morning. Gen. L. marched at dawn to Plaza de la V ictoria with a regiment of infantry, another of cazadores and a party of lancers, and took possession of the importanf posts. Guido and Balcara, were in the fort, the entrance of which was closed, and cannon mounted on the bastion and at the gateway, citizens came in great numbers to the Plaza ; and it being thought that the Government had ceased to exist when Dorrego departed, General Lavalle issued a pro clamation to that effect to the citizens and summoned them to meet at 1 o'clock in the church of St. Fran cisco. The ministers agreed to give up the fort to whoever should be appointed to command it. A large meeting was accordingly held, at which the proclama tion, and a list of the officers grievances were read, together with the submission of the late ministers. General Lavalle was declared Governor, ad interim, bv acclamation. By a decree of the 6th Dec. he pointed Admiral Brown to the civil and military maud of the Province, during his absence in the coun Admiral Brown accordingly took command of On the 11th Dec. an official detail was pub lished of an action said to have been fought with the forces collected by Dorrego, near the lake of Lobes, and of their rout. The Gaccta Mercantile of the 13th announced the capture of Dorrego. The truth of both these statements was doubted, as was also a ru mor that Dorrego had been assassinated. The ac count given to the Baltimore Republican by an intel ligent gentleman who came passenger in the Celerio, states that il Dorrego had been captured, he had left behind him Gen. Arrosa, en* u a ■ to The ministers There was no confusion. The ap Irv. the fort. man of great energy, who would control a strong force against Lavalle. On the 14th there was no further information from the hostile parties, and the city w r as quietly awaiting the result. N. Y. Com. Adv. Episcopal Church. —The number of Ministers in the Episcopal Church in the United States is 508, namely, in Maine 5, New Hampshire 8, Massachusetts 29, Vermont 7, Rhode Island 7, Connecticut 56, New \ork 122, New Jersey 16, Pennsylvania 70, Delaware c > Maryland 55, Virginia 47, North Carolina 10, South Carolina 35, Georgia 3, Ohio 14, Mississippi 5, Ken tucky 3, Tennessee 2, Louisiana 2, Missouri, &.c. 6. 1 here are 13 Diocesses and 10 Bishops, and one vacancy in the Diocess of Maryland. The Rt Rev and venerable Wm. White, I). I). of Pennsylvania, is Pres ident of the House of Bishops, and was consecrated Feb. 4, 1787, in England, by the Archbishop of Can terbury. Nearly one hundred candidates are about to be admitted to Holy Orders. Beside the numerous Missionaries employed in the U. States, the American Episcopal Church has recently sent one Missionary to Africa, and one to Greece. Boston Pallad. Ecclesiastical Comity. —We find it announced in the Edinburgh Evening Courant, that the Scottish Episcopal Church has enacted in her general synod, held this summer at Laurence-kirk, that in future the Episcopal Clergy of the United States of America, ; shall be equally eligible with those of the Churches of England and Ireland to hold any cure within the bounds of her jurisdiction. N. Y. E. Post.