Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The morning journal. [volume] (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1884-1886
Albuquerque, N.M. (1884-1886)
- The morning journal. [volume] : (Albuquerque, N.M.) 1884-1886
- Alternative Titles:
- Albuquerque Sunday journal
- Journal <Nov. 9, 1884-Sept. 4, 1885>
- Sunday Albuquerque journal
- Place of publication:
- Albuquerque, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- Burke & Allison
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 4, no. 285 (Oct. 7, 1884)-v. 7, no. 45 (Jan. 14, 1886).
- Daily (except Monday)
- Albuquerque (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Bernalillo County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- New Mexico--Albuquerque.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01205799
- New Mexico--Bernalillo County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218455
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Microfilm published by BMI Imaging Systems; issued in series: Chicano serials collection.
- Weekly ed.: Albuquerque weekly journal, 1883-1886.
- sn 84020617
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Albuquerque Morning Journal and The Morning Journal
Albuquerque, New Mexico, is a settlement on the Rio Grande River, west of the Sandia Mountains. Located at the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe railroad and at the junction of I-25 and I-40, the first post office was established in 1851 as New Albuquerque. In 1882, its name was changed to Albuquerque. Founded in 1706, Albuquerque was named in honor of Don Francisco Fernandez de la Cueva Enriquez, Duke of Alburquerque, 34th Viceroy of New Spain. In 1879, the New Mexico Townsite Co., a subsidiary of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad, founded a new town in anticipation of the arrival of the first trains. Two Albuquerques and two post offices emerged, with the old town centered on the plaza and the new town on the railroad station. In 1886, the postal authorities designated the west station, Old Albuquerque, and the east station, New Albuquerque. Today, the entire area is called Albuquerque.
Founded in 1882, the Albuquerque Morning Journal was an English-only, Republican daily. Its publisher and editor were Thomas Hughes and Messinger, respectively. Hughes, trained as a printer, became co-owner of the Albuquerque Daily Journal, which preceded The Albuquerque Morning Journal, in 1881 but left the following year to become postmaster. In addition to publishing the Albuquerque Morning Journal, Hughes served briefly as editor of the Albuquerque Daily Citizen before his death in 1905. An annual subscription to the Albuquerque Morning Journal cost $3, a six-month subscription cost $1.50, and a three-month subscription cost $1, if delivered by mail once a week. If delivered by mail every day, an annual subscription cost $10, $6 for six months, and $8 for three months. After 1884, the paper was known simply as the Morning Journal.
The Albuquerque Morning Journal reported local, territorial, national and international news. On March 4, 1881, the newspaper announced an upcoming issue which would promote Albuquerque and the surrounding region. Ten thousand copies of the special issue, each consisting of 64 columns would describe Albuquerque, Bernalillo County, and New Mexico as a whole. Special articles would focus on New Mexico's history, climate, agricultural resources, mineral wealth, health resorts, scenery, and population. The Morning Journal boasted that a newspaper of its caliber had never before existed in the Territory of New Mexico.
The Morning Journal often reported on relations with Native Americans. An article on January 30, 1883, described Red Cloud's interview with the Secretary of the Interior and the Commissioner of Indian Affairs in which the Sioux chief demanded compensation for 7,000 horses which the government had apparently confiscated from the Sioux and sold for $19,000. An editorial published on January 6, 1885, defended the independence of the local Pueblo Indians, whom the Morning Journal characterized as peaceable, intelligent, and industrious. The paper denied that the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, which regulated the transfer of the New Mexico Territory to the United States in 1848, authorized the appointment of government agents to oversee the tribe.
Provided by: University of New Mexico