Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Owyhee tidal wave. [volume] (Silver City, Owyhee County, Idaho Territory [Idaho]) 1869-1870
Silver City, Owyhee County, Idaho Territory [Idaho] (1869-1870)
- Owyhee tidal wave. [volume] : (Silver City, Owyhee County, Idaho Territory [Idaho]) 1869-1870
- Alternative Titles:
- Tidal wave
- Place of publication:
- Silver City, Owyhee County, Idaho Territory [Idaho]
- Geographic coverage:
- T.J. & J.S. Butler
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 78 (Sept. 9, 1869)-v. 2, no. 9 (Feb. 10, 1870).
- Idaho--Silver City.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01222852
- Silver City (Idaho)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 84024253
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Owyhee Tidal Wave and Owyhee Semi-Weekly Tidal Wave
Silver City was established in 1864 after silver deposits were discovered at nearby War Eagle Mountain. The settlement soon grew into one of Idaho Territory's major cities. Silver City boasted the territory's first daily newspaper and telegraph office, and was among the first cities in present-day Idaho to be electrified and have telephone service. At its peak in 1875, the city boasted a population of 6,000.
Brothers John S. Butler and Thomas J. Butler established the Boise News in Bannock City (renamed Idaho City), Idaho Territory, in 1863. After a year, the brothers ceased publication of the Boise News. In 1868, the Butlers bought the press and printing materials from the failed Argent newspaper in Winnemucca, Nevada and began publishing the Owyhee Semi-Weekly Tidal Wave. The Tidal Wave was established in December 1868 in Silver City, Idaho Territory. The Republican Tidal Wave competed with the county's only other newspaper at the time, the Democratic Owyhee Avalanche. For a brief period in 1869, the Tidal Wave was the only Republican paper published in Idaho Territory.
The Semi-Weekly Tidal Wave published twice a week on Tuesdays and Fridays with four pages and five columns. Suffering from lack of business and citing a decline in Owyhee County's population, in September 1869 the Tidal Wave began publishing weekly on Thursdays. The paper ceased publication in February 1870 and was incorporated into the Owyhee Avalanche. The Butler brothers remained in the newspaper business in various towns throughout the West.
By the time Idaho was granted statehood in 1890, Silver stores in Owyhee County were depleted and the population of Silver City declined to 2000. Small-scale mining efforts continued sporadically in the area until the Second World War. The town continued its slow decline and is now considered a ghost town.
Provided by: Idaho State Historical Society