Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Peninsular news and advertiser. [volume] (Milford, Del.) 1872-1904
Milford, Del. (1872-1904)
- Peninsular news and advertiser. [volume] : (Milford, Del.) 1872-1904
- Place of publication:
- Milford, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Wm. P. Corsa
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1872; ceased in 1904.
- Milford (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Continues the volume numbering of Peninsular news and advertiser (Milford, Del. : 1857).
- Description based on: Vol. 9, no. 39 (Sept. 27, 1872).
- sn 84026832
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Peninsular News and Advertiser
The Peninsular News and Advertiser was founded in Milford, Delaware, in 1872 by John S. Prettyman, who consolidated two newspapers, Our Mutual Friend and a previous version of Peninsular News and Advertiser published from 1857 until 1864. Prettyman named C. W. Davidson as editor and William P. Corsa as publisher.
Published every Friday, the Peninsular News and Advertiser was similar to other newspapers of the time in many ways. The newspaper published poetry, short fiction, church information, train times, and advertisements. In addition, it included book notices, market prices of goods, correspondence with the editor, agricultural information, and activities of local citizens.
The Peninsular News and Advertiser endorsed Ulysses S. Grant for President and Henry Wilson for Vice-president in the 1872 election. The newspaper argued that under the previous 12 years of Republican leadership, the country had seen a period of unprecedented prosperity. In urging state Republicans to work hard to carry the state in the upcoming election, it was noted, "No party that lives in history ever had a nobler record than ours."
By 1876, the Peninsular News and Advertiser was under the leadership of publishers, Scott, Lofland, and Hynson with a motto of, "A Free Press, Open to All." Under their leadership, the newspaper continued to prosper and maintained strong political influence in Sussex County. In 1877, John S. Prettyman was again listed as editor and proprietor of the paper, which had become independent Republican in nature. In 1903, Walter Thomas was editor and publisher, and in 1904, Robert Mears, was editor and manager. In that same year, Mears sold his interest in the Peninsular News and Advertiser to G. Layton Grier and Frank L. Grier. The two men operated the newspaper for approximately six months before selling to Theodore Townsend, owner and editor of the rival Milford Chronicle. In 1904, Townsend chose to merge the two titles, and the Peninsular News and Advertiser ceased to be a distinct publication.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE