Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Kinsley graphic. [volume] (Kinsley, Kan.) 1890-1940
Kinsley, Kan. (1890-1940)
- The Kinsley graphic. [volume] : (Kinsley, Kan.) 1890-1940
- Place of publication:
- Kinsley, Kan.
- Geographic coverage:
- Griggs & Creviston
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 13, no. 31 (May 23, 1890)-v. 63, no. 18 (July 11, 1940).
- Kinsley (Kan.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Publisher varies.
- sn 84029671
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Kinsley Graphic
Established in 1890, the Kinsley Graphic stems from a long history of newspapers started in Kinsley, Edwards County, Kansas. The Graphic is a continuation of many local papers including theValley Republican, the Kinsley Graphic (first incarnation), the Kinsley Republican, the Kinsley Graphic (second incarnation), the Kinsley Republican-Graphic, the Edwards County Banner, the Banner Weekly Graphic, and the Kinsley Banner-Graphic, all of which were eventually were sold to, or consolidated with, the Graphic organ. Initially a Democratic title, the Kinsley Graphic became a Populist paper in 1891 before returning to its Democratic roots in 1910.
There was little difference between the Kinsley Graphic and its immediate predecessor, the Kinsley Banner-Graphic, which had been formed in April 1889 when new proprietors Henry R. Griggs and Ed Creviston took over the Banner Weekly Graphic. They changed its name to the Kinsley Banner-Graphic, writing to their readers "we will, from this time on, endeavor to give the public a neat, newsy and clean newspaper. In Politics, for the present, we are independent, but 'neutral in nothing.' We have always voted the democratic ticket, and should we remain in this business until another campaign opens up, we will be found fighting for the same cause." A little more than a year later on May 23, 1890, the title changed again to the Kinsley Graphic with very little mention from the editors other than the local news column reading "The Graphic - Don't that sound better? - Subscribe for the Graphic!" On March 6, 1891, Creviston departed the Graphic, leaving it solely to Griggs. Shortly after on August 14, 1891, the paper was taken over by William H. French, a practicing attorney. In his first editorial French wrote "With this issue the graphic changes hands and politics. It will, henceforth, be published in the interest of the People's Party and will support the principles embodied in its platform." He added "We shall give you a clean and fearless sheet," and the headline "A Time Like This Demands Strong Minds, Great Hearts, True Faith and Ready Hands;" an important message for the proprietor, "for we fully believe that one of the crying needs of the age is enthusiastic conscientious journalism... we shall help fill the gap." His wife, Clara, served as associate editor. The Frenches only remained at the paper for three years; yet another editorial change took place when James M. Lewis became both editor and manager on March 30, 1894, with his wife Cora, an accomplished journalist in her own right, as associate editor. In his first issue, James wrote that the Graphic "shall continue to publish the paper as a straight populist organ, without fear or favor for any man or set of men of any political party," and that he would "support the party in the lines of policy it shall adopt in its conventions." Lewis remained at the helm of the Graphic until his death in November 1931; Cora took over as main proprietor until her death in January 1940. Their daughter, Loraine, ran the paper until its end on July 11, 1940, when it was purchased by their long-time local competitor, the Kinsley Mercury.
The Kinsley Graphic ran obituaries and covered local news from Kinsley and other neighboring towns in Edwards County. It offered a contrast to the Kinsley Mercury and to other Republican newspapers published in nearby Dodge City. The Graphic's circulation grew to over 1,500 copies during its long run. It was known as the "Official County Paper," the "Official Paper of Kinsley," and finally as the "Official Paper of Edwards County."
Provided by: Kansas State Historical Society; Topeka, KS