About The museum of Delaware. [volume] (Wilmington, Del.) 1804-1806
Wilmington, Del. (1804-1806)
- The museum of Delaware. [volume] : (Wilmington, Del.) 1804-1806
- Place of publication:
- Wilmington, Del.
- Geographic coverage:
- Joseph Jones
- Dates of publication:
- Began June 23, 1804? Ceased in 1806.
- Wilmington (Del.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 12 (Sept. 8, 1804).
- sn 84038113
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Museum of Delaware, The Museum of Delaware & General Advertiser and The Delaware Gazette
The Museum of Delaware began publication on June 30, 1804. Founded by Joseph Jones, the newspaper was published every Saturday in Wilmington. The Museum of Delaware billed itself as a "political, literary and miscellaneous" weekly. It included reprinted articles from other newspapers and European magazines as well as poetry and notices of debts against estates, land for sale, and houses to rent. In addition, the paper included news of a reward for a runaway apprentice, the sale of an engraving of General Alexander Hamilton, and the closing of a school.
The Museum of Delaware ceased publication sometime in 1806, but resumed on January 3, 1807, under the title Museum of Delaware and General Advertiser. Still printed and published by Joseph Jones, it cost $2 per year and included a variety of news items of local interest. These included notices of a patent for a washing machine, a runaway wife and her rebuttal, a runaway slave from Appoquinimink Hundred, novels for sale, and an anchor found in Delaware Bay. The paper also contained a large advertisement from Lee's Genuine, Patent and Family Medicines, a summary of a meeting of the Red Men fraternity, and information regarding the Wilmington College Lottery. The June 24, 1809 issue of the Museum of Delaware and General Advertiser also reprinted Congressional news such as laws passed by the First Session of the 11th Congress approved President Madison. These included the appointment of an agent for a land office in Kansas. This issue proved to be the last of the paper under this title.
Beginning on July 8, 1809, Joseph Jones renamed the newspaper the Delaware Gazette. The Gazette followed much the same format as its predecessors, but with more emphasis on American political news. Jones was now vocal in his opposition to the Federalist Party and noted that the newspaper would be anti-Federalist in tone. He wrote, "It is our decided opinion, and we shall by occasional essays on the subject, endeavor to prove it well founded, that a party exists in this country, who, under the imposing name of Federalists, are endeavoring to sap the very foundation of those institutions which they so much admire."
The Delaware Gazette remained in publication until June 30, 1810.
Provided by: University of Delaware Library, Newark, DE