Newspaper Page Text
$ID to |6, owing to opposition boats.
The Mexicans again celebrate the con summation of Mexico's independence. 29th, Death of Louis Barret, a na tive of France and an old resident of Los Angeles. 30th. Thos. A. Garey leaves for Stockton to attend the Second Annual Convention of the State Grange. Ed ward W. Fulmar, a stranger from the Bait) passes a forged check at a beer saloon; DjtOL'tive Harris " takes him in." OCTOBER. Ist. The Chief of the Cabason Indians visits Los Angeles. 2d. Seven accessions to the Catholic Church. 3d. Chinese Joss house destroyed at Wilmington. 4th. Jose, an Indian, while break-' fasting, dies from heart disease and bad whisky. I. W. Hellman elected President of the Jewish Congregation. sth. Messrs. Prager, Foy and Reson leave for San Francisco to attend tlie Grand Lodge of Masons. Miss Fanny Marston serenaded. Oth. Chat. E. Miles elected foreman of the "Thirty-Eights." The German Club decides to support at election only those known to be " honest and capable." 7th. The "Royal Tycoon Japs" iv the city. Bth. The most sultry day of the sea son. The distilleries all busy at wine making. 9th. Departure of over fifty stalwart men for the mines in San Bernardino aud Inyo counties. Miss Marston gives her farewell concert. 10th. Candidates for city offices cropping out as thick as bees in a clover-field. Real Estate Association formed. 11th. The church well attended and a row in Chinatown. 12th. Two stage robbers taken to San Quentin. 13th. The Chamber of Commerce decides in favor of a direct road to Pananiint and make an appropriation for the necessary survey. 14th. Excellent marble, capable of a fine polish, discovered near San Fer nando. 15th. Railway officials from San Francisco in the city; they promise speedy work on the extension of the Spadra road. 16th. Engineer Crawford and party leave to survey a road to Inyo county. He is appointed Mineral Surveyor of the State. Chief Miles, of the Fire Deparinent, serenaded by the boys. 17th. Peter Maglaire, of Calaveras county, falls dead on Main street. 18th. Rev. Gustav Borchard, a mis sionary of the Lutheran Church, ar rives in thec'ty to establish a German congregation. Rev. Dr. McFerrin, of Tennessee, sermonizes the Southern Methodists. 19th. The delegates to the Masonic Grand Lodge return and give most fa vorable reports of the prosperity of the order throughout the State. Rev. Mr. Hill appointed Grand Chaplain and Mr. C. Vv. Bush Grand Steward. 20th. Successful fair held by the ladies for the benefit of the Sisters' Orphan Home. The railroad magnates return to San Francisco. 21st. The Alden Fruit-drying estab lishment commences operation. 22d. Gold picked up in the streets of Los Angeles. 23d. Arrival of a colony of fanners to settle in Los Angeles county. 24th. A forger from San Francisco gobbled up by our detectives. 25th. Bishop Pierce,of the Methodist Church South, addresses the faithful. 26th. Favorable opening of the 4th Annual Fair of the Southern District Agricultural Society. 27th. Thos. A. Garey re-elected Master of Los Angeles Grange. An nual meeting of Southern California Mutual Aid Association und a favora ble report made. Shoniinac Tribe, No. 50, Improved Order of Red Men, instituted. 28th. A child named Smith burned to death at Sunny Slope Vineyard. Six different amusements open to the public. 29th. HughForster dropi dead from his horse while returning from the races. 80th, Pickpockets active and many visitors to the fair robbed. 31st. Last day of the fall races. The big race, free for all, trotting, two mile heats, best two in three, won by Echo. Stage line established to Pan amint. NOVEMBER. Ist. Arrival of St. Louis capitalists to invest iv the mines of Southern California. 2d. Very heavy shipments of bullion and ores from Wilmington. 3d. L. J. Lockhart elected Master of Orange Grange. A deacon gobbled for horse stealing. 4th. The Kent Theatrical Troupe vamoose and Little Mack and his Minstrels come on the Boards. sth. J. J. Morton elected Master of Compton Grange. State Lecturer Wright addresses the Grangers. Oth. The Herald establishment builds a gas house for its own use. It gives splendid light. 7th. The Main Street and Agricul tural Railway incorporated. Bth. Dr. McFerrin preaches his fare well sermon to the Southern Metho dists. Oth. The teachers of Los Angeles county meet in annual convention. W. P. McDonald elected Master of Sil ver Grange. 10th. Engineer Crawford reports the feasibility of Cajon pass for a rail road to the mines. Heavy contracts awarded our merchants for lumber and supplies for Panamint. 11th. A colored man accidentally killed by a little chili at Los Nietos. A laborer named Frank Gore drops dead at Wilmington. 12th Prof. Carr lectures to the teach ers on horticulture. Thirty tons of freight shipped to Panamint. 13th. The Teachers Convention ad journs with thanks to the people of Los Angeles. 14th. Tlie Grangers addressed hy Prof. Carr. Tho Good Templars dor oide to erect a hall. loth. Dredging commenced in Wil mlngtoh harbor—a good harbor as sured. Kith. Lecture for tlie benefit of the Public Library by Prof. Carr. 17th. Plans drawn for a new railroad depot. 18th. Survey commenced for the Main Street and Agricultural Park Railway. 19th. The most favorable reports re ceived from the Castac silver mines; the placers very rich. 20th. The election excitement grow ing hot. Three candidates for Mayor in the Held. 21st. Arrival of blooded stock from Kentucky', imported by the Saxe Brothers. 22d. Row among the Italians on Los Angeles street. The Germans put a ticket iv the Held for city officers. 23d. Complimentary benefit to Miss Dominga Olivas. 24th. Mr. Potts.delegate to the State Temperance Convention, returns from above with reports that the cold water cause is favorably progressing. Hon. J. Ross Browne in the city. 25th. Races at the fair grounds; Vaughan beats the Moor. The High School receives fine chemical appa ratus. 2Gth. Thanksgiving Day. The fire men have a parade and ball. Services at all the churches. 27th. Forest Grove Association, cap ital §100,000, organized for the cultiva tion of eucalyptus. The Los Angeles Immigration and Land Co-operative Association, capital $250,000, organ ized. 28th. A colony settles in this county east of Spadra. 29th. Deatii of a young man from the East, named Retz, at the City- Hospital; he is buried by the Odd Fel lows. 30th. A pack train fitted out to bring ore from Panamint. Races at the Park for the benefit of the Library. DECEMBER. Ist. The Centiuela Land Company purchase 25,000 acres of land west of Los Angeles. The Chamber of Com merce petition Congress for further encouragement to grape culture. 2d. McDonald, convicted of wife murder, sentenced to the penitentiary for life. 3d. F. P. F. Temple purchases im ported stock, including a Durham bull sold for $900. Death of Capt. J. M. Smaller, a U. S. detective, at the Clar endon. 4th. Tlie Anaheim road being built at tlie rate of half a mile each day. sth. Exciting election canvass. The People's Ticket, headed by Mr. Beau dry, in the van. 6th. A. A. Frazer, a stranger who died here, is buried by the Masons. 7th. The municipal election passes off quietly. Mr. Beaudry elected May or over all the candidates. Bth. Marshal-elect Carrillo seren aded. Company organized to build a railroad from Los Angeles to the Cen tiuela ranch and the ocean. ,9th. Mayor-elect Beaudry serenaded by his friends. 10th. Excitement over the proposi tion to connect Los Angeles with Pan aniint by rail. 11th. The Good Templars determine to erect public drinking fountains. Presentation of a line pistol to Mar shal Carrillo. 12th. Immense mass meeting in favor of the Los Angeles and Inde pendence Railroad. 13th. Departure of heavy freight for Panamint. 14th. F. P. F. Temple elected High Priest of Los Angeles Chapter, No. 33, R. A. M. City Treasurer Melius tiles his official bond in $75,000. 15th. Visitors from Pananiint report tlie new mines overcrowded and con siderable suffering, 16th. Reports of new mineral dis coveries in Inyo county, called New Coso. 17th. Mayor Toberinan makes his farewell report to the City Council. Examination of, and entertainment by, tlie public school pupils. 18th. Arrival of Dr. Paul M. Btenan, a noted physician from San Francisco. 19th. City Marshal Carrillo received another present from his constituents —an elegant gold badge. 20th. "The Los Angeles Railroad Company" organized to build a rail road to Truxton Landing. 21st. Mayor Beaudry makes his first message to the Council; it clearly shows the growth and increased pros perity of the city. 22d. The railroad company indulges in new passenger coaches. 23d. New railroad depot commenced at Anaheim. Commencement at Wilson College. 24th. Christmas eve festivals by the Churches. 25th. Christmas generally observed. No rows, but full enjoyment. 26th. A Frenchman named Pepin in despondency suicides—jause, whis key. Michael Reese, the Croesus of California, in the city. Mexican acci dentally wounded iv Souoru. 27th. Effort to unite the German church-goers, Catholic and Protestant, in one Evangelical Church. 28th. The Good Templars havo a pleasant anniversary. More Christ mas festivities for the Sunday School scholars. 29th. Farmer killed near the San Gabriel Mission while quarreling with a neighbor about trespassing. 30th. "Through by rail" to Ana heim. The farmers long for rain. 31st. Pleasant reunion and ball at the Hall of the Social Club. Business men rejoicing over their successful operations during the year, and the bright prospects for the future. All hands in the Herald establish ment hard at work on the annual re view, to be published In the Herald on the morrow. Largest edition of any paper ever published in Southern California. New Corporations in 1874. A visit to the County Clerk's office and a glance over the articles of cor porations there filed will quickly con vince the doubter that the people of Los Augeles are alive and on the go. He will find that during the past few years several hundred corporations have been formed, some with a cap ital reaching to the million of dollars, for the better development of the re sources of the county and to advance the conveniences and pleasures of the residents. Among these corporations are organizations by the score to de velop gold, silver and copper mines; to bore for petroleum; to make salt from ocean water; to make irrigating ditches and canals; to build churches, schools, orphan asylums and hos pitals; to promote the yield of the vine and extend operations in sheep raising—and in fact for a hundred other worthy purposes. Subjoined is a list of the principal corporations or ganized during the year 1874 in Los Angeles county: The Southern California Sanitary and Industrial College Association has been incorporated. Object to pro mote health, encouragement of agri culture and mechanical arts. Capital stock $250,000, in 2,500 shares at $100 each. Trustees George Stoneman, William Moore, Thos. A. Garey, J. R. Toberman, F. M. Shaw and Geo. C. Gibbs. Main Street and Agricultural Park Street Railroad Company. Capital stock $50,000. van Gabriel Orange Grove Associa tion. Capital stock $50,000. Southern California Mutual Aid As sociation. Mountain View Petroleum Mining Company. Capital stock $200,000. Merrill Lodge, No. 299, Independent Order of Good Templars. Los Angeles City Homestead Asso ciation. Methodist Episcopal Church of Compton. Los Nietos Water Company. Los Angeles Social Club. Los Angeles and Pacific Railroad Company. Capital stock $500,000. St. Athanasius Protestant Episcopal Church of Los Angeles. Agricultural and Mechanical Ex position of Southern California. Cap ital stock $50,000. Westminster Co-operative Store Company. Capital stock $10,000. San Gabriel Cemetery Association. Capital stock $2,000. Odd Fellows Building Association of Los Nietos. Capital stock $10,000. Forest Grove Company of Los An geles, to raise forest trees for fuel or manufacturing purposes. Capital stock $100,000. Lesina Oil Company. Capital stock $100,000. Arroyo Ditch Water Company. Los Angeles Immigration ami Land Co-operative Association. Capital stock $250,000. Downey Land Association. Capital stock $20,000. Bolsa Chloa Wharf and Forwarding Company. Capital stock $100,000. Centinela Land Company. Capital otock if 1,000,000. Castao Water Ditch and Placer mining Company. Capital stock $50, --0011. Co-operative Nursery and Fruit Company of Los Angeles County. Capital stock $250,000. Los Angeles Woolen Mill Company. Capital stock $50,00(1. Cucanionga Homestead Association. Southern California Co-operative Warehouse and Shipping Association. Capital stock $100,000. Orange Co-operative Company of Los Angeles. Capital stock $100,000. Spring and Sixth Street Railroad Company. Capital stock $24,000. Sau Pedro Irrigating Company. Capital stock $15,000. Los Angeles City Printing and Pub lishing Company. Capital stock $15, --000. Los Angeles County Bank. Capital stock $300,1101). Real Estate Association of Los An geles. Capital stock $120,0(10. THE GRANGERS. Strength of tho I'lii-tiii'iV Onlcr tci I.on <<Hlllt}'. Los Angeles is the "banner county of the "Patrons of Husbandry" in the State of California. There are seven teen Granges in the county, with a total membership exceeding 1,200, aud before the close of the present year the membership bids fair to be over 2,000. The "farmer brothers" dwell harmo niously together, have a "Co-opera tive" store in this city, organized in July last, and very successful at this writing,'and they have several other enterprises on foot to ease the produc ing classes from the exhorbitant de mands of "grinding monopolies." At the request of Thos. A. Garey, a most worthy resident of this county, and the District Deputy of the Grange for Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties, the following history of the order was prepared for the Herald by L. M. Holt, Secretary of the Grange Co-operative Company: On the 2nd of August, 1873. the first Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry— Los Angeles Grange No. 30, of this city—was organized in Los Angeles county. The State Grange had been organized at Napa City on the 15th of the previous July. The order had been but, just established on this coast, but at that time it was rapidly gain ing ground. During tho first two weeks of August nine Granges were organized in Los Angeles county by W. H. Baxter, Secretary of the State Grange, and this county became at once the banner county of the State, which position it has held ever since. Los Angeles Grange No. 30 was or ganized with Thos. A. Garey as Master and T. D. Hancock, as Secretary. Mr. Garey has been twice re-elected to the position of Master, which position he still holds. T. I). Hancock, the first Secretary resigned his position and S. A. Waldron succeeded him. The membership now numbers over one hundred, and meetings are held semi monthly at Good Templar Hall. Compton Grange, No. 37, was the second Grange organized in tho coun ty. The officers for the past year have been—Master, C. W. Coltrin; Secre tary, A. T. Coltrin. The present mem bership is about 75. Enterprise tjirange No. 38, is locat ed in La Dow School District, about five miles southwest of Los Angeles. A. M. South worth is Master, and Mr. Butterwortb is the acting Secretary. The membership is about 60. Fairview Grange, No. 30, was ori ginally organized in Fairview School District two miles west of Anaheim, but it was afterwards removed to Ana heim. Judge Edward Evey was Mas ter, during 1874, but his brother David Evey was elected for the year 1875, with.l. M, Guinn, as Secretary. This is a strong Grange a umbering about 100 members. Orange Grange, No. 40, is located at the town of Orange (formerly Rich land,) live miles southeast of Anaheim on the east side of the Santa Ana River. Joseph Beach was chosen during 1874, but Mr. Lockhart has been elected for '1875, with J. W. Anderson as Secre tary—re-elected. This Grange also numbers about 100 members. Silver Grange, No. 41, was organized at Gallatin, and during the first year H. L. Montgomery filled the Chair ot Master and Prof. W. P. McDonald, that of Secretary. The latter gentle man has been promoted to the posi tion of Master, for 1875, and will pre side over the largest Grange in Los Angeles county — the membership numbering about 150. New River Grange, No 42, is loca ted in New River School District southeast of Downey City, on the East side of New River. The Officers the past year have been—Master, Wil lis Newton; Secretary S. G. Baker. The membership numbers about 75. El Monte Grange, No. 43, is located iii El Monte. During the past year Geo. C. Gibbs has filled the position of Master, and J. H. Gray has been the Secretary. In 1874 Capt. J. T. Gordon will till the Master's Chair, and A. H. Hoyt will act as Secretary. This Grange numbers about 35 mem bers. Los Nietos Grange, No. 44, is located at Old Los Nietos, and numbers about 75 members. E. B. Gramlin filled the position of Master until last Spring., when he resigned on account of making a trip to the Atlantic States. J. F. Marquis was elected to till the vacancy. Mr. Marquis some months since moved to the Wesmin ister Colony but still filled the office of Master until the close of the year. W. S. Reavis has been Secretary of the Grange the past year. This completes tlie list of the origi nal nine organized by Secretary, W. H. Baxter. Soon after Mr. Baxter's return home, Thos. A. Garey, Master of Los Angeles Grange, was appointed District Deputy of Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties by J. W. A. Wright, then Master of the State Grange. Mr. Garey lias organized since his appointment as Deputy eight Oranges in Los Angeles county, and three Granges in San Bernardino county; also one in San Diego county. fOuieka Orange, No. (10, was organized three miles east of Spadra with P. C. Tonner as Master, and Joseph Wright, as Secretary. These officers were suc ceeded by Cyrus Burdick, as Master, and P. C. Tonner as Secretary. This is the weakest tlrange in the county numbering probably about twenty members. Fruitland Grange No. 72, was or ganized at Tustin City, with Dr. A. B. Hay Ward as Master and E. R. Nicoles as Secretary. This Grange was after wards removed to Santa Ana, when N. O. Stafford was elected Master and G. L. Russell was elected Secretary. The Grange Is a strong one, number ing about 100 members. Alliance Grange, No. 75, was organ ized in Bogdale District, two miles southeast of El Monte, wdtli S. S. Reaves as Master and J. W. Marshall as Secretary, which position both have held to the present time. J. D. Durfee has been elected Master for the ensuing year. On account of land difficulties the members of this Grange have mostly removed from the District and the Grange is weak, numbering not more than twenty live members. Many of the old mem bers now live near the Azusa settle ment. Azuza Grange, No. 94, is located in the Azusa settlement, ten miles north east of El Monte. W. W. Maxcy has occupied the position of Master, and J. C. Preston that ot Secretary up to date. The Grange is not strong nu merically—having probably not more than 60 members —but every member counts one when there is work to be done. Florence (irange, No. 95, was organ ized a few days thereafter. This Grange only numbers about 50 mem bers. R. B. Russell is Master and Wm. Porter, Secretary. With these fourteen Granges and one in San Bernardino county, the District Council was organized at Gallatin in October, 1873—less than three months after tho organization of the first Grange in the county. Thos. A. Garey was elected Master of the Couucil, which position he has siuce held. J. F. Marquis is Secre tary of the Council. The District Council will soon be superseded by the County Grange, when an entire reorganization will be had. Westminster Grange, No. 127, was organized at Westminster Colony. This is not a strong Grange; the number of members probably does not exceed 60. W. B. Craig is Master and W. F. Poor Secretary. Vineland Grange, No. 186, was or ganized at Tustin City soon after the removal of the Fruitland Grange from Tustin City to Santa Ana. Dr. A. B. Hayward was chosen Master and R. L. Freeman Secretary; both have held those positions up to the close of 1874. The Grange Is not strong, but has a membership probably of 65. Spadra Grange, No. —, is tlie last Grange organized in Los Angeles county, with A. T. Currier Master and Joseph Wright Secretary. We put the membership at 50—not knowing their actual strength. Official Congratulations. A few weeks ago the control of Los Angeles city passed into new hands, Mayor Toberman retiring and Mayor Beaudry, a citizen largely interested in the welfare of the place, assuming the office. As required by law,the retir ing official and the new incumbent made reports to the City Council. From the report of ex-Mayor Tober man the following extracts are made: If the city of Los Angeles of Decem ber, 1872, is compared with itself in December, 1874, the result of the com parison will show good ground for con gratulation. Tlie number of inhabit ants in 1872 was about 8,004); the as sessed value of real and personal prop erty for the fiscal year preceding that date was $3,500,000; the total indebt edness wa*s2Bß,ooo; the revenue of the city from all sources was $0,500; the number of public schools was 8; the whole number of scholars attending them was 575. There was at that ti me one railroad running out of the city to the port of Wilmington, and the num ber of miles run daily by the regular trains upon it was eighty. At this time the population of our city is esti mated at 13,000; the assessed value of property for the liscal year just passed is $4,580,740; the total indebtedness is $220,750; the revenue of the city from all sources for the last year was $65, --000. The number of public schools at present is 18, and the whole number of scholars attending these schools is 875. The improvement in the school build ings, and, what is of stiil higher im portance, their character, has kept pace with tlie numerical increase of attendants. The number of private schools and seminaries and the num ber of their pupils have also largely increased. There are now four rail roads running from this city in differ ent directions, of an average length of 22 miles, or an aggregate of 88 miles, over which roads regular trains run to and from the city daily. One of these roads will, in a few days, be completed and In operation 30 miles to our sister city, Anaheim, while active prepara tions are making for the extension of another a distance of 60 miles through and beyond Kan Bernardino to San Gorgonio Pass. The number of miles now run to and from the city daily by regular trains is 352, and the size of the trains on these roads has increased largely with tlie increased number of miles of railway in operation. In this advance in material prosper ity and in the means of education, re ligious culture has not lagged behind. Tliere are now seven houses of public religious worship, with their respective congregations, and tliere are four con gregations which meet regularly for services but which have not yet pro vided themselves with society build ings. An improvement in the financial state of a municipality is as sure an index of its prosperity as it is in that of an individual and the financial condition of either Is but discovered by the cash value of its promises to pay. Two years ago the warrants drawn against the City Treasury were worth 70 cents on the dollar. At pres ent and for more than a year past they have been at par, being paid in coin upon presentation. In 1872 tlie rate of taxation wassl 30 ou the $100; for the year 1874 the rate has been reduced to $1 on the $100, making a reduction of about 30 per cent, on the tax levy dur ing your administration. Tho following evidences of the city's growth and prosperity are from the first message of Mayor Beaudry: At no former period within the tory of our beautiful city has the spirit of enterprise wielded such potent in fluence or such general prosperity pre vailed. Progress hI.S become the watchword of the people,and advance ment and improvement meet the eye on almost every street and block with in the corporate limits of our city. Five years is but an atom of time in the history of a community, yet with in that period Los Angeles has shaken off the lethargic sleep of a prosy seuil tropical village and placed herself in the front rank of California cities lias donned the appearance and proven herself possessed of the vitality and energy of an active and enterprising business centre. The long rows of one story buildings have disappeared, aud on their sites stand handsome struc tures—an ornament to the city and af fording facilities for the accommoda tion of our rapidly increasing trade. The street railroad is one of the im provements which tlie past few months have added to our city-like appear ance. Already one long line of track traverses some of our principal streets, and tlie day is near when another road will be in operation. Simultaneous ly with the erection of many large and substantial business houses appear numbers of beautiful dwellings in the more retired streets and suburban sec tions. Our population is rapidly in creasing and our business prosperity is a matter of gratification to ourselves and of astonishment to our visitors. We are moving onward with rapid strides and it needs not the fore knowledge of the seer to predict that within less than a decade Los Angeles will be known as the second city in the State in wealth, population and business activity. The rapid growth of our city is dem onstrated by actual figures. Less than two years ago our population number ed but 8,000, while the year just closed shows a population of 13,000. This is an increase of 62) per cent., and when we consider that a great portion of this increase has been made within tlie last year, we see that our growth has been remarkable. At the rate our population is now increasing it is more than probable that by the close of 1875 Los Augeles will number 20,000 people —making her tlie second city in popu lation, as she now is in commercial importance, in the State. The financial condition of thecity is very satisfactory. The Council you have just succeeded may point to its economical record with pride and sat isfaction. When the retiring Council men took their seats, city scrip was sold on the streets at 65 aud 70 ets. on the $1. During the fiscal year now ending, tlie city financial affairs have been carried on on a cash basis. In W2-3 city taxes were §1 40 on the $100, and unless a heavy increase of our current expenses is found neces sary, the tax will not propably exceed 80 cents on the $100 for 1875. Tlie fol lowing statement will give a clear idea of our financial condition. At the beginning of 1872 our indebtedness stood as follows: Bonds, 1870 $87,4"^ It. li. liimtls 75,000 School-house Bonds 20,000 Funded Loan, ixn> 31,400 Outstanding warrants 2i,iao $248,000 The exhibit for 1874 gives the follow ing figures: Bonds, 1870 g 87,450 K. It. Hoods 75,000 Bchool-hOUM Bomls 20 000 Bonds, 1862 23,000 it. n. Depot Bonds 13,000 Outstanding Warrants 2,100 8220,750 The railroad depot bonds to the amount of $13,000 are new, yet it will be seen that the total indebtedness has been reduced from $238,000 to $220,750. The outstanding warrants which in 1872 amounted to $21,150 have been re duced to $2,300. The amount of money in the city treasury is about $35,000. Although our expenses have neces sarily Increased, yet the rapid increase of taxable property has enabled us to reduce instead of increasing the rate of taxation. The assessed real and personal property for the fiscal year preceding the year 1872 was $3,500,000, from which we derived a revenue of $00,500. For the fiscal year just closed the assessed value of all property was over $4,500,000, and the city revenue from all sources amounted to $65,000. From this it will be seen that the in crease in the value of real and per sonal property is in proportionate ratio with our increase in population. It is proper to make a passing allusion to the rapid increase of our railroad facilities. It seems but a few months since the time when a locomotive could not be seen or heard in Los Angeles valley. To-day we have four railroads radiating from the city. Within a few du.ys one of these roads will connect us with Anaheim. A few months hence and the Southern Pacific will be ex tended to San Gorgon io Pass, giving us an eastern line nearly one hundred miles in length, while we may reason ably hope that two more years at the furtherest will close the section be tween San Fernando aud Bakerslield and give us a continuous rail to San Francisco. Don't Fear the Earthquakes! Among the thousand and one in quiries made of the Herald the fol lowing is iv frequent one: "How often have you earthquakes about Los An geles and how many are killed each year by reason thereof ?" Well, you can come to Southern California and settle here without nursing that great bug-bear—the earthquake. Earth quakes are very rare in this section, and of late years never severe. A nice harmless shake is a good thing, and if it happened more freequently it would be better for us—turn our attention from things worldly to things celestial. But one earthquake attended with loss of life has ever visited this coun try and that was over half a cen tury ago. Since then this section has had repeated shocks, but so faint as to be hardly perceptible. One hun dred men have been killed by light ning in the Mississippi valley alone to one killed by earthquake in Califor nia. Here thunder storms, destructive hail storms and whirlwinds are un known. Don't be fooled by the earth quake scare. Marble Discoveries. During the year numerous speci mens of marble, discovered in various portions of the county, have been brought to the Heka office. Among them an elegant piece of clear white marble taken from the surface of a mountain about three miles north of San Bernardino, It is hard and solid and capable of a fine polish. The discoverer, Mr. W. W. Jenkins, says that there is a ledge of this rock on the comb of the mountain, some nine hun dred yards wide and of an indefinite length, the mountain being so rough that he was unable to follow it up along the whole distance. Doubtless there is an immense body of this valu able material, and, lying upon the sur face as it does, it can be easily quar ried. This discovery will furnish an invaluable supply of building mate rial, and that of the first quality, for Los Angeles, besides developing per haps, at a sufficient depth, a fine qual ity of marble for other purposes. Ex cellent sandstone abounds In the same mountains. It is a fact worthy of note that the first gold discovered iv California, of which there is authentic record, was picked up in Los Angeles county. Marshall's discovery in Sutter's mill race at Coloma electrfied the world, but to the late Abel Steams, one of the oldest and most honored residents of this county, is due the merit of making the first discovery of tho precious metal in the State. As early as '33 he took out considerable gold from San Francisquito Cafion, in the north ern part of Los Angeles county. He sent the specimens to the U. S. Mint at Philadelphia, and they pronounced them "the real stuff." The certificate of deposit is In the possession of tho Society of California Pioneers. A l'Ai'ER mill must bo established In tlie vicinity of Los Angeles at once. It is demanded, and would pay hand somely.