OCR Interpretation


Los Angeles daily herald. [volume] (Los Angeles [Calif.]) 1873-1876, January 01, 1875, Image 3

Image and text provided by University of California, Riverside; Riverside, CA

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84038806/1875-01-01/ed-1/seq-3/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for

$ID to |6, owing to opposition boats.
The Mexicans again celebrate the con
summation of Mexico's independence.
29th, Death of Louis Barret, a na
tive of France and an old resident of
Los Angeles.
30th. Thos. A. Garey leaves for
Stockton to attend the Second Annual
Convention of the State Grange. Ed
ward W. Fulmar, a stranger from the
Bait) passes a forged check at a beer
saloon; DjtOL'tive Harris " takes him
in."
OCTOBER.
Ist. The Chief of the Cabason Indians
visits Los Angeles.
2d. Seven accessions to the Catholic
Church.
3d. Chinese Joss house destroyed at
Wilmington.
4th. Jose, an Indian, while break-'
fasting, dies from heart disease and
bad whisky. I. W. Hellman elected
President of the Jewish Congregation.
sth. Messrs. Prager, Foy and Reson
leave for San Francisco to attend tlie
Grand Lodge of Masons. Miss Fanny
Marston serenaded.
Oth. Chat. E. Miles elected foreman
of the "Thirty-Eights." The German
Club decides to support at election
only those known to be " honest and
capable."
7th. The "Royal Tycoon Japs" iv
the city.
Bth. The most sultry day of the sea
son. The distilleries all busy at wine
making.
9th. Departure of over fifty stalwart
men for the mines in San Bernardino
aud Inyo counties. Miss Marston
gives her farewell concert.
10th. Candidates for city offices
cropping out as thick as bees in a
clover-field. Real Estate Association
formed.
11th. The church well attended and
a row in Chinatown.
12th. Two stage robbers taken to
San Quentin.
13th. The Chamber of Commerce
decides in favor of a direct road to
Pananiint and make an appropriation
for the necessary survey.
14th. Excellent marble, capable of a
fine polish, discovered near San Fer
nando.
15th. Railway officials from San
Francisco in the city; they promise
speedy work on the extension of the
Spadra road.
16th. Engineer Crawford and party
leave to survey a road to Inyo county.
He is appointed Mineral Surveyor of
the State. Chief Miles, of the Fire
Deparinent, serenaded by the boys.
17th. Peter Maglaire, of Calaveras
county, falls dead on Main street.
18th. Rev. Gustav Borchard, a mis
sionary of the Lutheran Church, ar
rives in thec'ty to establish a German
congregation. Rev. Dr. McFerrin, of
Tennessee, sermonizes the Southern
Methodists.
19th. The delegates to the Masonic
Grand Lodge return and give most fa
vorable reports of the prosperity of the
order throughout the State. Rev. Mr.
Hill appointed Grand Chaplain and
Mr. C. Vv. Bush Grand Steward.
20th. Successful fair held by the
ladies for the benefit of the Sisters'
Orphan Home. The railroad magnates
return to San Francisco.
21st. The Alden Fruit-drying estab
lishment commences operation.
22d. Gold picked up in the streets of
Los Angeles.
23d. Arrival of a colony of fanners
to settle in Los Angeles county.
24th. A forger from San Francisco
gobbled up by our detectives.
25th. Bishop Pierce,of the Methodist
Church South, addresses the faithful.
26th. Favorable opening of the 4th
Annual Fair of the Southern District
Agricultural Society.
27th. Thos. A. Garey re-elected
Master of Los Angeles Grange. An
nual meeting of Southern California
Mutual Aid Association und a favora
ble report made. Shoniinac Tribe,
No. 50, Improved Order of Red Men,
instituted.
28th. A child named Smith burned
to death at Sunny Slope Vineyard.
Six different amusements open to the
public.
29th. HughForster dropi dead from
his horse while returning from the
races.
80th, Pickpockets active and many
visitors to the fair robbed.
31st. Last day of the fall races. The
big race, free for all, trotting, two
mile heats, best two in three, won by
Echo. Stage line established to Pan
amint.
NOVEMBER.
Ist. Arrival of St. Louis capitalists
to invest iv the mines of Southern
California.
2d. Very heavy shipments of bullion
and ores from Wilmington.
3d. L. J. Lockhart elected Master of
Orange Grange. A deacon gobbled
for horse stealing.
4th. The Kent Theatrical Troupe
vamoose and Little Mack and his
Minstrels come on the Boards.
sth. J. J. Morton elected Master of
Compton Grange. State Lecturer
Wright addresses the Grangers.
Oth. The Herald establishment
builds a gas house for its own use. It
gives splendid light.
7th. The Main Street and Agricul
tural Railway incorporated.
Bth. Dr. McFerrin preaches his fare
well sermon to the Southern Metho
dists.
Oth. The teachers of Los Angeles
county meet in annual convention.
W. P. McDonald elected Master of Sil
ver Grange.
10th. Engineer Crawford reports the
feasibility of Cajon pass for a rail
road to the mines. Heavy contracts
awarded our merchants for lumber and
supplies for Panamint.
11th. A colored man accidentally
killed by a little chili at Los Nietos.
A laborer named Frank Gore drops
dead at Wilmington.
12th Prof. Carr lectures to the teach
ers on horticulture. Thirty tons of
freight shipped to Panamint.
13th. The Teachers Convention ad
journs with thanks to the people of
Los Angeles.
14th. Tlie Grangers addressed hy
Prof. Carr. Tho Good Templars dor
oide to erect a hall.
loth. Dredging commenced in Wil
mlngtoh harbor—a good harbor as
sured.
Kith. Lecture for tlie benefit of the
Public Library by Prof. Carr.
17th. Plans drawn for a new railroad
depot.
18th. Survey commenced for the
Main Street and Agricultural Park
Railway.
19th. The most favorable reports re
ceived from the Castac silver mines;
the placers very rich.
20th. The election excitement grow
ing hot. Three candidates for Mayor
in the Held.
21st. Arrival of blooded stock from
Kentucky', imported by the Saxe
Brothers.
22d. Row among the Italians on
Los Angeles street. The Germans put
a ticket iv the Held for city officers.
23d. Complimentary benefit to Miss
Dominga Olivas.
24th. Mr. Potts.delegate to the State
Temperance Convention, returns from
above with reports that the cold water
cause is favorably progressing. Hon.
J. Ross Browne in the city.
25th. Races at the fair grounds;
Vaughan beats the Moor. The High
School receives fine chemical appa
ratus.
2Gth. Thanksgiving Day. The fire
men have a parade and ball. Services
at all the churches.
27th. Forest Grove Association, cap
ital §100,000, organized for the cultiva
tion of eucalyptus. The Los Angeles
Immigration and Land Co-operative
Association, capital $250,000, organ
ized.
28th. A colony settles in this county
east of Spadra.
29th. Deatii of a young man from
the East, named Retz, at the City-
Hospital; he is buried by the Odd Fel
lows.
30th. A pack train fitted out to bring
ore from Panamint. Races at the
Park for the benefit of the Library.
DECEMBER.
Ist. The Centiuela Land Company
purchase 25,000 acres of land west of
Los Angeles. The Chamber of Com
merce petition Congress for further
encouragement to grape culture.
2d. McDonald, convicted of wife
murder, sentenced to the penitentiary
for life.
3d. F. P. F. Temple purchases im
ported stock, including a Durham bull
sold for $900. Death of Capt. J. M.
Smaller, a U. S. detective, at the Clar
endon.
4th. Tlie Anaheim road being built
at tlie rate of half a mile each day.
sth. Exciting election canvass. The
People's Ticket, headed by Mr. Beau
dry, in the van.
6th. A. A. Frazer, a stranger who
died here, is buried by the Masons.
7th. The municipal election passes
off quietly. Mr. Beaudry elected May
or over all the candidates.
Bth. Marshal-elect Carrillo seren
aded. Company organized to build a
railroad from Los Angeles to the Cen
tiuela ranch and the ocean.
,9th. Mayor-elect Beaudry serenaded
by his friends.
10th. Excitement over the proposi
tion to connect Los Angeles with Pan
aniint by rail.
11th. The Good Templars determine
to erect public drinking fountains.
Presentation of a line pistol to Mar
shal Carrillo.
12th. Immense mass meeting in
favor of the Los Angeles and Inde
pendence Railroad.
13th. Departure of heavy freight for
Panamint.
14th. F. P. F. Temple elected High
Priest of Los Angeles Chapter, No. 33,
R. A. M. City Treasurer Melius tiles
his official bond in $75,000.
15th. Visitors from Pananiint report
tlie new mines overcrowded and con
siderable suffering,
16th. Reports of new mineral dis
coveries in Inyo county, called New
Coso.
17th. Mayor Toberinan makes his
farewell report to the City Council.
Examination of, and entertainment
by, tlie public school pupils.
18th. Arrival of Dr. Paul M. Btenan,
a noted physician from San Francisco.
19th. City Marshal Carrillo received
another present from his constituents
—an elegant gold badge.
20th. "The Los Angeles Railroad
Company" organized to build a rail
road to Truxton Landing.
21st. Mayor Beaudry makes his first
message to the Council; it clearly
shows the growth and increased pros
perity of the city.
22d. The railroad company indulges
in new passenger coaches.
23d. New railroad depot commenced
at Anaheim. Commencement at
Wilson College.
24th. Christmas eve festivals by the
Churches.
25th. Christmas generally observed.
No rows, but full enjoyment.
26th. A Frenchman named Pepin
in despondency suicides—jause, whis
key. Michael Reese, the Croesus of
California, in the city. Mexican acci
dentally wounded iv Souoru.
27th. Effort to unite the German
church-goers, Catholic and Protestant,
in one Evangelical Church.
28th. The Good Templars havo a
pleasant anniversary. More Christ
mas festivities for the Sunday School
scholars.
29th. Farmer killed near the San
Gabriel Mission while quarreling with
a neighbor about trespassing.
30th. "Through by rail" to Ana
heim. The farmers long for rain.
31st. Pleasant reunion and ball at
the Hall of the Social Club. Business
men rejoicing over their successful
operations during the year, and the
bright prospects for the future.
All hands in the Herald establish
ment hard at work on the annual re
view, to be published In the Herald
on the morrow. Largest edition of
any paper ever published in Southern
California.
New Corporations in 1874.
A visit to the County Clerk's office
and a glance over the articles of cor
porations there filed will quickly con
vince the doubter that the people of
Los Augeles are alive and on the go.
He will find that during the past few
years several hundred corporations
have been formed, some with a cap
ital reaching to the million of dollars,
for the better development of the re
sources of the county and to advance
the conveniences and pleasures of the
residents. Among these corporations
are organizations by the score to de
velop gold, silver and copper mines;
to bore for petroleum; to make salt
from ocean water; to make irrigating
ditches and canals; to build churches,
schools, orphan asylums and hos
pitals; to promote the yield of the
vine and extend operations in sheep
raising—and in fact for a hundred
other worthy purposes. Subjoined is
a list of the principal corporations or
ganized during the year 1874 in Los
Angeles county:
The Southern California Sanitary
and Industrial College Association
has been incorporated. Object to pro
mote health, encouragement of agri
culture and mechanical arts. Capital
stock $250,000, in 2,500 shares at $100
each. Trustees George Stoneman,
William Moore, Thos. A. Garey, J. R.
Toberman, F. M. Shaw and Geo. C.
Gibbs.
Main Street and Agricultural Park
Street Railroad Company. Capital
stock $50,000.
van Gabriel Orange Grove Associa
tion. Capital stock $50,000.
Southern California Mutual Aid As
sociation.
Mountain View Petroleum Mining
Company. Capital stock $200,000.
Merrill Lodge, No. 299, Independent
Order of Good Templars.
Los Angeles City Homestead Asso
ciation.
Methodist Episcopal Church of
Compton.
Los Nietos Water Company.
Los Angeles Social Club.
Los Angeles and Pacific Railroad
Company. Capital stock $500,000.
St. Athanasius Protestant Episcopal
Church of Los Angeles.
Agricultural and Mechanical Ex
position of Southern California. Cap
ital stock $50,000.
Westminster Co-operative Store
Company. Capital stock $10,000.
San Gabriel Cemetery Association.
Capital stock $2,000.
Odd Fellows Building Association
of Los Nietos. Capital stock $10,000.
Forest Grove Company of Los An
geles, to raise forest trees for fuel or
manufacturing purposes. Capital
stock $100,000.
Lesina Oil Company. Capital stock
$100,000.
Arroyo Ditch Water Company.
Los Angeles Immigration ami Land
Co-operative Association. Capital
stock $250,000.
Downey Land Association. Capital
stock $20,000.
Bolsa Chloa Wharf and Forwarding
Company. Capital stock $100,000.
Centinela Land Company. Capital
otock if 1,000,000.
Castao Water Ditch and Placer
mining Company. Capital stock $50,
--0011.
Co-operative Nursery and Fruit
Company of Los Angeles County.
Capital stock $250,000.
Los Angeles Woolen Mill Company.
Capital stock $50,00(1.
Cucanionga Homestead Association.
Southern California Co-operative
Warehouse and Shipping Association.
Capital stock $100,000.
Orange Co-operative Company of
Los Angeles. Capital stock $100,000.
Spring and Sixth Street Railroad
Company. Capital stock $24,000.
Sau Pedro Irrigating Company.
Capital stock $15,000.
Los Angeles City Printing and Pub
lishing Company. Capital stock $15,
--000.
Los Angeles County Bank. Capital
stock $300,1101).
Real Estate Association of Los An
geles. Capital stock $120,0(10.
THE GRANGERS.
Strength of tho I'lii-tiii'iV Onlcr tci I.on
<<Hlllt}'.
Los Angeles is the "banner county
of the "Patrons of Husbandry" in the
State of California. There are seven
teen Granges in the county, with a
total membership exceeding 1,200, aud
before the close of the present year the
membership bids fair to be over 2,000.
The "farmer brothers" dwell harmo
niously together, have a "Co-opera
tive" store in this city, organized in
July last, and very successful at this
writing,'and they have several other
enterprises on foot to ease the produc
ing classes from the exhorbitant de
mands of "grinding monopolies."
At the request of Thos. A. Garey, a
most worthy resident of this county,
and the District Deputy of the Grange
for Los Angeles and San Bernardino
counties, the following history of the
order was prepared for the Herald
by L. M. Holt, Secretary of the Grange
Co-operative Company:
On the 2nd of August, 1873. the first
Grange of the Patrons of Husbandry—
Los Angeles Grange No. 30, of this
city—was organized in Los Angeles
county. The State Grange had been
organized at Napa City on the 15th of
the previous July. The order had
been but, just established on this coast,
but at that time it was rapidly gain
ing ground. During tho first two
weeks of August nine Granges were
organized in Los Angeles county by
W. H. Baxter, Secretary of the State
Grange, and this county became at
once the banner county of the State,
which position it has held ever since.
Los Angeles Grange No. 30 was or
ganized with Thos. A. Garey as Master
and T. D. Hancock, as Secretary. Mr.
Garey has been twice re-elected to the
position of Master, which position he
still holds. T. I). Hancock, the first
Secretary resigned his position and
S. A. Waldron succeeded him. The
membership now numbers over one
hundred, and meetings are held semi
monthly at Good Templar Hall.
Compton Grange, No. 37, was the
second Grange organized in tho coun
ty. The officers for the past year have
been—Master, C. W. Coltrin; Secre
tary, A. T. Coltrin. The present mem
bership is about 75.
Enterprise tjirange No. 38, is locat
ed in La Dow School District, about
five miles southwest of Los Angeles.
A. M. South worth is Master, and Mr.
Butterwortb is the acting Secretary.
The membership is about 60.
Fairview Grange, No. 30, was ori
ginally organized in Fairview School
District two miles west of Anaheim,
but it was afterwards removed to Ana
heim. Judge Edward Evey was Mas
ter, during 1874, but his brother David
Evey was elected for the year 1875,
with.l. M, Guinn, as Secretary. This is
a strong Grange a umbering about 100
members.
Orange Grange, No. 40, is located
at the town of Orange (formerly Rich
land,) live miles southeast of Anaheim
on the east side of the Santa Ana River.
Joseph Beach was chosen during 1874,
but Mr. Lockhart has been elected for
'1875, with J. W. Anderson as Secre
tary—re-elected. This Grange also
numbers about 100 members.
Silver Grange, No. 41, was organized
at Gallatin, and during the first year
H. L. Montgomery filled the Chair ot
Master and Prof. W. P. McDonald,
that of Secretary. The latter gentle
man has been promoted to the posi
tion of Master, for 1875, and will pre
side over the largest Grange in Los
Angeles county — the membership
numbering about 150.
New River Grange, No 42, is loca
ted in New River School District
southeast of Downey City, on the
East side of New River. The Officers
the past year have been—Master, Wil
lis Newton; Secretary S. G. Baker.
The membership numbers about 75.
El Monte Grange, No. 43, is located
iii El Monte. During the past year
Geo. C. Gibbs has filled the position
of Master, and J. H. Gray has been
the Secretary. In 1874 Capt. J. T.
Gordon will till the Master's Chair,
and A. H. Hoyt will act as Secretary.
This Grange numbers about 35 mem
bers.
Los Nietos Grange, No. 44, is located
at Old Los Nietos, and numbers about
75 members. E. B. Gramlin filled
the position of Master until last
Spring., when he resigned on account
of making a trip to the Atlantic
States. J. F. Marquis was elected to
till the vacancy. Mr. Marquis some
months since moved to the Wesmin
ister Colony but still filled the office
of Master until the close of the year.
W. S. Reavis has been Secretary of the
Grange the past year.
This completes tlie list of the origi
nal nine organized by Secretary, W.
H. Baxter. Soon after Mr. Baxter's
return home, Thos. A. Garey, Master
of Los Angeles Grange, was appointed
District Deputy of Los Angeles and
San Bernardino counties by J. W. A.
Wright, then Master of the State
Grange. Mr. Garey lias organized
since his appointment as Deputy eight
Oranges in Los Angeles county, and
three Granges in San Bernardino
county; also one in San Diego county.
fOuieka Orange, No. (10, was organized
three miles east of Spadra with P. C.
Tonner as Master, and Joseph Wright,
as Secretary. These officers were suc
ceeded by Cyrus Burdick, as Master,
and P. C. Tonner as Secretary. This
is the weakest tlrange in the county
numbering probably about twenty
members.
Fruitland Grange No. 72, was or
ganized at Tustin City, with Dr. A. B.
Hay Ward as Master and E. R. Nicoles
as Secretary. This Grange was after
wards removed to Santa Ana, when
N. O. Stafford was elected Master and
G. L. Russell was elected Secretary.
The Grange Is a strong one, number
ing about 100 members.
Alliance Grange, No. 75, was organ
ized in Bogdale District, two miles
southeast of El Monte, wdtli S. S.
Reaves as Master and J. W. Marshall
as Secretary, which position both
have held to the present time. J. D.
Durfee has been elected Master for
the ensuing year. On account of land
difficulties the members of this
Grange have mostly removed from
the District and the Grange is weak,
numbering not more than twenty
live members. Many of the old mem
bers now live near the Azusa settle
ment.
Azuza Grange, No. 94, is located in
the Azusa settlement, ten miles north
east of El Monte. W. W. Maxcy has
occupied the position of Master, and
J. C. Preston that ot Secretary up to
date. The Grange is not strong nu
merically—having probably not more
than 60 members —but every member
counts one when there is work to be
done.
Florence (irange, No. 95, was organ
ized a few days thereafter. This
Grange only numbers about 50 mem
bers. R. B. Russell is Master and
Wm. Porter, Secretary.
With these fourteen Granges and
one in San Bernardino county, the
District Council was organized at
Gallatin in October, 1873—less than
three months after tho organization
of the first Grange in the county.
Thos. A. Garey was elected Master of
the Couucil, which position he has
siuce held. J. F. Marquis is Secre
tary of the Council. The District
Council will soon be superseded by
the County Grange, when an entire
reorganization will be had.
Westminster Grange, No. 127, was
organized at Westminster Colony.
This is not a strong Grange; the
number of members probably does
not exceed 60. W. B. Craig is Master
and W. F. Poor Secretary.
Vineland Grange, No. 186, was or
ganized at Tustin City soon after the
removal of the Fruitland Grange from
Tustin City to Santa Ana. Dr. A. B.
Hayward was chosen Master and R.
L. Freeman Secretary; both have
held those positions up to the close of
1874. The Grange Is not strong, but
has a membership probably of 65.
Spadra Grange, No. —, is tlie last
Grange organized in Los Angeles
county, with A. T. Currier Master and
Joseph Wright Secretary. We put
the membership at 50—not knowing
their actual strength.
Official Congratulations.
A few weeks ago the control of Los
Angeles city passed into new hands,
Mayor Toberman retiring and Mayor
Beaudry, a citizen largely interested
in the welfare of the place, assuming
the office. As required by law,the retir
ing official and the new incumbent
made reports to the City Council.
From the report of ex-Mayor Tober
man the following extracts are made:
If the city of Los Angeles of Decem
ber, 1872, is compared with itself in
December, 1874, the result of the com
parison will show good ground for con
gratulation. Tlie number of inhabit
ants in 1872 was about 8,004); the as
sessed value of real and personal prop
erty for the fiscal year preceding that
date was $3,500,000; the total indebt
edness wa*s2Bß,ooo; the revenue of the
city from all sources was $0,500; the
number of public schools was 8; the
whole number of scholars attending
them was 575. There was at that ti me
one railroad running out of the city to
the port of Wilmington, and the num
ber of miles run daily by the regular
trains upon it was eighty. At this
time the population of our city is esti
mated at 13,000; the assessed value of
property for the liscal year just passed
is $4,580,740; the total indebtedness is
$220,750; the revenue of the city from
all sources for the last year was $65,
--000. The number of public schools at
present is 18, and the whole number of
scholars attending these schools is 875.
The improvement in the school build
ings, and, what is of stiil higher im
portance, their character, has kept
pace with tlie numerical increase of
attendants. The number of private
schools and seminaries and the num
ber of their pupils have also largely
increased. There are now four rail
roads running from this city in differ
ent directions, of an average length of
22 miles, or an aggregate of 88 miles,
over which roads regular trains run to
and from the city daily. One of these
roads will, in a few days, be completed
and In operation 30 miles to our sister
city, Anaheim, while active prepara
tions are making for the extension of
another a distance of 60 miles through
and beyond Kan Bernardino to San
Gorgonio Pass. The number of miles
now run to and from the city daily by
regular trains is 352, and the size of
the trains on these roads has increased
largely with tlie increased number of
miles of railway in operation.
In this advance in material prosper
ity and in the means of education, re
ligious culture has not lagged behind.
Tliere are now seven houses of public
religious worship, with their respective
congregations, and tliere are four con
gregations which meet regularly for
services but which have not yet pro
vided themselves with society build
ings.
An improvement in the financial
state of a municipality is as sure an
index of its prosperity as it is in that
of an individual and the financial
condition of either Is but discovered
by the cash value of its promises to
pay. Two years ago the warrants
drawn against the City Treasury were
worth 70 cents on the dollar. At pres
ent and for more than a year past they
have been at par, being paid in coin
upon presentation. In 1872 tlie rate of
taxation wassl 30 ou the $100; for the
year 1874 the rate has been reduced to
$1 on the $100, making a reduction of
about 30 per cent, on the tax levy dur
ing your administration.
Tho following evidences of the
city's growth and prosperity are from
the first message of Mayor Beaudry:
At no former period within the
tory of our beautiful city has the spirit
of enterprise wielded such potent in
fluence or such general prosperity pre
vailed. Progress hI.S become the
watchword of the people,and advance
ment and improvement meet the eye
on almost every street and block with
in the corporate limits of our city.
Five years is but an atom of time in
the history of a community, yet with
in that period Los Angeles has shaken
off the lethargic sleep of a prosy seuil
tropical village and placed herself in
the front rank of California cities
lias donned the appearance and proven
herself possessed of the vitality and
energy of an active and enterprising
business centre. The long rows of one
story buildings have disappeared, aud
on their sites stand handsome struc
tures—an ornament to the city and af
fording facilities for the accommoda
tion of our rapidly increasing trade.
The street railroad is one of the im
provements which tlie past few months
have added to our city-like appear
ance. Already one long line of track
traverses some of our principal streets,
and tlie day is near when another road
will be in operation. Simultaneous
ly with the erection of many large and
substantial business houses appear
numbers of beautiful dwellings in the
more retired streets and suburban sec
tions. Our population is rapidly in
creasing and our business prosperity is
a matter of gratification to ourselves
and of astonishment to our visitors.
We are moving onward with rapid
strides and it needs not the fore
knowledge of the seer to predict that
within less than a decade Los Angeles
will be known as the second city in
the State in wealth, population and
business activity.
The rapid growth of our city is dem
onstrated by actual figures. Less than
two years ago our population number
ed but 8,000, while the year just closed
shows a population of 13,000. This is
an increase of 62) per cent., and when
we consider that a great portion of
this increase has been made within
tlie last year, we see that our growth
has been remarkable. At the rate our
population is now increasing it is more
than probable that by the close of 1875
Los Augeles will number 20,000 people
—making her tlie second city in popu
lation, as she now is in commercial
importance, in the State.
The financial condition of thecity is
very satisfactory. The Council you
have just succeeded may point to its
economical record with pride and sat
isfaction. When the retiring Council
men took their seats, city scrip was
sold on the streets at 65 aud 70 ets. on
the $1. During the fiscal year now
ending, tlie city financial affairs have
been carried on on a cash basis. In
W2-3 city taxes were §1 40 on the
$100, and unless a heavy increase of
our current expenses is found neces
sary, the tax will not propably exceed
80 cents on the $100 for 1875. Tlie fol
lowing statement will give a clear
idea of our financial condition. At
the beginning of 1872 our indebtedness
stood as follows:
Bonds, 1870 $87,4"^
It. li. liimtls 75,000
School-house Bonds 20,000
Funded Loan, ixn> 31,400
Outstanding warrants 2i,iao
$248,000
The exhibit for 1874 gives the follow
ing figures:
Bonds, 1870 g 87,450
K. It. Hoods 75,000
Bchool-hOUM Bomls 20 000
Bonds, 1862 23,000
it. n. Depot Bonds 13,000
Outstanding Warrants 2,100
8220,750
The railroad depot bonds to the
amount of $13,000 are new, yet it will
be seen that the total indebtedness has
been reduced from $238,000 to $220,750.
The outstanding warrants which in
1872 amounted to $21,150 have been re
duced to $2,300. The amount of money
in the city treasury is about $35,000.
Although our expenses have neces
sarily Increased, yet the rapid increase
of taxable property has enabled us to
reduce instead of increasing the rate
of taxation. The assessed real and
personal property for the fiscal year
preceding the year 1872 was $3,500,000,
from which we derived a revenue of
$00,500. For the fiscal year just closed
the assessed value of all property was
over $4,500,000, and the city revenue
from all sources amounted to $65,000.
From this it will be seen that the in
crease in the value of real and per
sonal property is in proportionate ratio
with our increase in population.
It is proper to make a passing allusion
to the rapid increase of our railroad
facilities. It seems but a few months
since the time when a locomotive could
not be seen or heard in Los Angeles
valley. To-day we have four railroads
radiating from the city. Within a few
du.ys one of these roads will connect us
with Anaheim. A few months hence
and the Southern Pacific will be ex
tended to San Gorgon io Pass, giving
us an eastern line nearly one hundred
miles in length, while we may reason
ably hope that two more years at the
furtherest will close the section be
tween San Fernando aud Bakerslield
and give us a continuous rail to San
Francisco.
Don't Fear the Earthquakes!
Among the thousand and one in
quiries made of the Herald the fol
lowing is iv frequent one: "How often
have you earthquakes about Los An
geles and how many are killed each
year by reason thereof ?" Well, you
can come to Southern California and
settle here without nursing that great
bug-bear—the earthquake. Earth
quakes are very rare in this section,
and of late years never severe. A nice
harmless shake is a good thing, and if
it happened more freequently it would
be better for us—turn our attention
from things worldly to things celestial.
But one earthquake attended with
loss of life has ever visited this coun
try and that was over half a cen
tury ago. Since then this section has
had repeated shocks, but so faint as
to be hardly perceptible. One hun
dred men have been killed by light
ning in the Mississippi valley alone to
one killed by earthquake in Califor
nia. Here thunder storms, destructive
hail storms and whirlwinds are un
known. Don't be fooled by the earth
quake scare.
Marble Discoveries.
During the year numerous speci
mens of marble, discovered in various
portions of the county, have been
brought to the Heka office. Among
them an elegant piece of clear white
marble taken from the surface of
a mountain about three miles north
of San Bernardino, It is hard and
solid and capable of a fine polish. The
discoverer, Mr. W. W. Jenkins, says
that there is a ledge of this rock on the
comb of the mountain, some nine hun
dred yards wide and of an indefinite
length, the mountain being so rough
that he was unable to follow it up
along the whole distance. Doubtless
there is an immense body of this valu
able material, and, lying upon the sur
face as it does, it can be easily quar
ried. This discovery will furnish an
invaluable supply of building mate
rial, and that of the first quality, for
Los Angeles, besides developing per
haps, at a sufficient depth, a fine qual
ity of marble for other purposes. Ex
cellent sandstone abounds In the same
mountains.
It is a fact worthy of note that the
first gold discovered iv California, of
which there is authentic record, was
picked up in Los Angeles county.
Marshall's discovery in Sutter's mill
race at Coloma electrfied the world,
but to the late Abel Steams, one of
the oldest and most honored residents
of this county, is due the merit of
making the first discovery of tho
precious metal in the State. As early as
'33 he took out considerable gold from
San Francisquito Cafion, in the north
ern part of Los Angeles county. He
sent the specimens to the U. S. Mint
at Philadelphia, and they pronounced
them "the real stuff." The certificate
of deposit is In the possession of tho
Society of California Pioneers.
A l'Ai'ER mill must bo established
In tlie vicinity of Los Angeles at once.
It is demanded, and would pay hand
somely.

xml | txt