Newspaper Page Text
CITY AND COUNTY OFFICIAL PAPER.
FRIDAY, JAN. I, 1875. City and County Official Directory. City Directory. f J . BEAUDRY Mayor Olliee, Council Chamber. 4E.J. CAHBILLO City Marshal Office, No. -15 Spring street. j. j. MELLUB, „. City Treasurer t iitiee, Court House. A. W. HUTTON City Attorney oftleo, No. s*l Temple Block. M. KREMER City Clerk Olliee, No. 45 Sprint; street. Wm. E. MOORE City Surveyor Office, Moore & Kelelier, New High St. Common Council: Meets At Council Rooms, No. 15 Spring St.. at TUB P. If., Tnursday of each week. COUNCILMEN ! T. P. CAMPRELL. 1.. LIGHTEN BRUGES, j. MULL ALT. J. Q. CABMONA. ■W. W. ROBINSON. B. SOTELLO. M TEKD. JOSE M VSCAREL, C, F. HUHF.It, L. WOI.FS'KILL. E. IL WORKMAN, T. LEAHY. Chamber of Commerce; S. I.AZARD, Pkes., W. J. BRODRJCtv, S. B. CASWELL, Secretary. Treasurer. ■J J.NEWMARK, EUGENE MEYER, JOHN G. DOWNEY, J. I>e B. SHOKB, «. M. WIONEY, 1. W. LOUD, E. E. HEWITT, H. 1), HARROWS. Bonril of Education: H. D. BARROWS, President. M. KREMER, sce'v. ALFRED JAMES, SJR.J. KURT/,, J. P WID.NEY. DR. W. T. LUCKY, City Supt. Public Wfhoolt County Directory. "A. W. POTTS Co. Clerk and Clerk of Courts J. W.GILLETTE Co. Rcoorderahd Auditor i E.ROWAN Co.Treasurer VC R. ItOWLAND.-Co. Sheriff and Tax Coll. <OKO. H. PECK Co. Supt. of Schools UIONICIO BOTILLER Co. Assessor !U SEBOLD Co. Surveyor Bourtl Of Nuperi Isors: GEO. HINDS, Chairman, X. M. GRIFFITH, EDWARD EVEY, Jp. PALOMARKS, F. MACHACO, JL SEPULVEDA, Acting Interpreter. Regular Meetings—First Monday of each Judicial »i» .. 10. j: ST. SEPULVEDA District Judge Terms of Court—First Monday of Feb., May., Aug., and Nov. fff- K. S. O'MELVENY...Judge of Probate aud County Courts. Terms of Court—First Monday of Jan., Mar., May, July. Sept., and Nov. CJEO. 0. GIBBS Dist. Court Commissioner, Office, No. l'-i Spring street, Jul I ices' Court*: WM. H. GRAY...Temple Block, over W F. 4 Co.'s Office. JOHN TRAFFORD....Downey Block, Temple Street. Lo* Aii gel es Library AMNWIM I 3, R. McCONNELL President J. C. LITTLEFIELD Librarian Library, Downey Block. Nnlioual OiUciala. »L K. W. nENT Postmaster Postofflce, Temple Block. ALFRED JAMES Reg. U.S. Land Office J. W. H AVERSTiCK....Rec. U. S. Land Office Temple Block. JJ. O. WHEELER....Dept. Coll. U. H. Int. Rev. Office, No. 10, Temple Block. J. R. BRIERLY Int. Rev. Gauger Office, No. Temple Block. J. D. DUNLAP Dept. U. S. Marshal New High street. li. C. WHITING U. S. Court Commissioner Office, Nos. 28 and 2.5, Downey Block. IACOB A. MOURENH A UT.....French Consul Main street. CLINTON B. SEARS, In charge of Improve ment of Wilmington Harbor—Residence at terminus ol street railroad. The Tustin Settlement. To the east of Santa Ana, and twelve miles from the ocean, is the Tustin Settlement, comprising some sixty farms of from twenty to forty acres each. The age of the settlement U less than two years. Water can be readily obtained by artesian welis, or brought iv ditches from the Santa Ana river. The soil is a sandy loam, and rye, barley and corn, the principal «;rops, flourish finely. Tobacco has been successfully cultivated. The farmers have neat homes and comfort able out houses. There is a good school in the settlement, and three religious denominations have organi zations there. Unimproved lands range from $20 to $50, and improved from $50 to $70. Probably one-fourth of the land in the settlement, one thousand acres, is open to new comers at the above price. Santa Ana. Eight miles from the ocean, and six from Anaheim, lies the prosperous settlement of Santa Ana, containing over 15,000 acres of light adobe and sandy loam soil. There are irrigat ing ditches running from the Santa Ana river, with an abundance of water, and about a dozen artesian wells, from 40 to 290 feet deep, in the settlement. About half of the land is under cultivation, the farms ranging from 20 to 100 acres each. About 8,000 acres are offered to settlers at from $10 to $60 per acre, according to location and improvements. There are two fine schools in tlie settlement and four religious organizations. Rye, barley and corn, yielding 40, 50 and 80 bushels to the acre respectively, are tbe chief crops. Tbe citron has flourished beyond expectations. Syca more trees have been planted very generally and have Santa Ana will have a steady growth for years to come. Cienega and La Ballona. These flourishing settlements, so well watered by the Cienega, send in favorable reports for the year. New settlers have come in during the pas>t twelve months with ample capi tal, and improvements can be noted on all sides. First-class farming lands can be purchased, with irrigation privileges, at from §23 to $60 per acre. The neighborhood has a flest-class school, under the" management of 8. A. NValdron, an experienced teacher, and a substantia! church will he erect ed during the year. The Cionega val ley is.ten miles long and three wide. Abundant water is near the surface, aud the grafting is good in all seasons. All grains flourish, especially corn, wheat, rye and barley. All fruits, save the orange, and every known vegetable flourish. The land can all be irrigated, but there has as yet been no need for the process. La Bal lona valley is ten miles long and four wide; it has just as good character istics as its neighbor, the Cicnega val ley. The table lands sloping from the sea to the mountains furnish splendid sheep range. As examples of the fruitfUlness of this section, we add the following reports for t*W year from a few farms in this section of the country. John A. Young the past year raised 5,000 bushels of barley from 100 acres, without irrigation. A. Rose has growing on his farm oranges, lemons, tigs, peaches, apples and grants. J. K. Holmes produced this year 200 bushels of potatoes, 90 bushels of corn and 4 tons of hay per acre. H. H. Gird lias a very fine stock and dairy rancho that has steadily yielded an abundance of pasturage for 300 head of cattle and 50 horses. Los Nietos. One of the richest farming sections of Los Angeles county, lies in the val ley of tho San Gabriel river, bounded on the north by tlie El Monte district, and extending in a south-westerly di rection along the course of the stream for thirteen miles, with an average width of six miles. The whole section, as we have located it, bears the name of Los Niktos. The land is level, with a uniform slope towards the ocean on the south-west, tbe soil is rich aud strong and the irrigating facilities are unsurpassed. Itlsclaim ed that the water of the Sau Gabriel is sufficient to irrigate morn than twice the area of the valley. The chief pro ducts are corn, barley, rye and wheat. The yield of these cereals, as well as that of every variety of farm product, is so enormous that a man must see the soil and its crops to believe the follow ing facts and figures : One hundred and twenty-five bush els of corn per acre is not an unusual yield, and the average crop is eighty bushels. This bountiful return is for the mere labor of planting and irri gating, no hoeing being required, and the irrigation itself being neither diffi cult nor expensive. To illustrate the lasting quality of the soil, we may mention that a piece of ground on the farm of ex-Governor Pico has been planted In corn every year during the last century and the yield this year was as large as that of 1874. Wheat is not very extensively sown in the Los Nietos country, for the reason that it grows too rank with a tendency to rust. Parley, rye and oats yield lage ly. Uats stafiu seven reel utgn aim head finely, The average yield of bar ley is estimated at seventy-live bush els per acre. Irish and sweet potatoes grow in abundance, of excellent qual ity, and keep well. All kinds of vege tables grow with little more labor than their planting. A beet has been grown that weighed 20-5 pounds; a 200 pound pumpkin Is not extraordinary; a 26 pound head of cab bage is common. Seventy tons of beets to the acre is not considered a large yield. Almost every kind of fruit is grown here. At Temple's farm ou the north the finest quality of oranges are raised; at Bixby's on the south, near the ocean, may be seen thrifty bearing orange trees; also at Foster's on the west and at Mrs. Car penter's on the east. These are the older trees, while all through the set tlement, bounded by the points named, are planted groves of young orange trees, evetywhere growing finely. What is said of the orange is also true of limes, lemons, and semi-tropical fruits of every description. Peaches, apples, apricots and pears are alike indigenous t<» the locality. The fann ers of Los Nietos claim that they pro duce a better quality of apple than any other section of Southern Califor nia. Small fruit, blackberries, ras berries, strawberries and the like, of fine flavor, are produced in abund ance. The following is a list of the exports from Downey City, the shipping point of this district, for the year 1874 up to December 26th, when the statement was closed : Corn, sacks 4.1,550, t* 5,018,250 Barley, " tu.lll " 1,061.655 Peas, " 44 " 5,500 Beans, " 552 " 41,401 Potatoes" 68 " 8,160 Russian Barley, sks 1,506 " 19s,7St» Castor Mean*, " 40 " 2,405 Ground Feed, " 4U9 " 41,800 Rye, sacks 4,772 " 6!K5,400 Wheat, " 1,272 « 185,:!60 Popcorn," 118, " 11.420 Meal, " 251, " 8,175 Wool, bales 201, " 62,310 Meal, bbls, ,'J6O " 45,000 Brooms, doz 97 After reading these favorable re ports, the question likely to be asked by the now comer or the person at a distanco la : Can this land be pur chased, and if so, at what price ? We answer, a great deal of it is purchas able at, all tilings considered, very reasonable figures. Tho land not al ready in the hands of settlers is for sale at prices that may range at, say, from $6 to §30 pcs acre. Very little, and that of the poorest quality, Is to be had at the minimum figure. Iv tbe central and most heavily populated part of Los Nietos settlement, the soil is cut into garden and orchard plats ranging in size from one to twenty acres. The intending settler must not be surprised if he is asked much lar ger prices for land than those wo have named. Real estate In desirable lo calities, in small area, or under culti vation, may bring as much as $100 per acre, but even at that price, it should uot be counted dear when its produc ing qualities are taken into considera tion. Downey City, tlie principal town of the Los Nietos section, has been fur some time the southern terminus of the Anaheim branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad. The place bat a population of perhaps two hundred and fifty; it is enterprising and thrifty, as most of the places of its kind, which grow up from a necessity Of commerce. It is supported by the rich agricultural country which sur rounds it and has the best of founda tions for continued prosperity. Some additional Importance may have been added to Downey City from the fact of its being heretofore at the end of the railroad. This prestige, whatever it may have been, will now be lost, as the road at present writing has been extended as far as Anahefhi— eighteen miles further south. The town, how ever, can never be of less Importance than it.is now, and it will increase as the country around it becomes better developed. All coming to Los Angeles county in search of homes will find it to their advantage to visit Los Nietos settle ment and see and examine for them selves. But there are other equally rich localities iv Los Angeles valley offering like advantages to the farmer, to each of which it is our purpose to direct attention. Centinela Colony. The Centinela Land Company have purchased 2-5,000 acres of the choicest farming and fruit land in the State. This land lies just beyond the city limits of Los Angeles and extends to the ocean. It is nearly all choice val ley land, and will produce all kinds of grain and all semi-tropical fruits. Wheat has been grown upon the tract, and orange and lime trees are now in full bearing. There is an orchard containing 8,000 orange, lemon, lime and almond trees, and the nursery contains nearly as many more. These trees are all four years old. The Cen tinela creek waters the northern por tion of the land; and water can be ob tained anywhere at from 25 to 50 feet. The climate is the finest on the coast, varying but little from 00 degrees all the year round. This land with all the improve ments, orange and other fruit trees, sheep, etc., etc., will be distributed among the shareholders—each share entitling the holder to one—one thou sandth part of the whole. Each shareholder purchases his land including his share in the improve hWHi Hiiocp etc. at pXM per aero, mc land is being subdivided into 5, 10, 20, 40, 80 and 100 acre lots, and will be sold at auction on January 18th and March Sth, 1575. All that it brings over $10.05 per acre—which is the cost of tho land alone— will be divided among the shareholders. As it is expected that tho farming lands will sell for from S2O to $50 per acre, it is easy to see that there will be a large surplus to divide amongthe shareholders. Each shareholder can, if he choses, buy land with his stock and still share in the surplus profits. Large grants have been made by the company to found a college and public schools. All religious bodies, and the Grangers, Masons, Odd Fellows and Temperance Societies are liberally dealt with. The sale of intoxicating liquors, and the ereccion of saloons, is forbidden by the charter of the com pany. A railway is projected through the tract from Los Angeles to the ocean. The vicinity of these lands to the city of Los Angeles—the inexhausti ble fertility of the soil—the perfect climate nnd the cheap price at which shareholders buy the land, render this one of the best opportunities ever of fered tho public to obtain cheap aud delightful homes. It is expected that the surplus profits will be so large that the shareholder who buys land with his stock will get all that his land will cost him back in dividends. Full in formation can be obtained from W. H. Martin, California Iv migrant Union, 534 California St., San Francisco, or at the Centinela Land Company Of fice, No. 8 Temple Block. »•» A committee recently examined seventeen applicants over 18 years of age, for positions as cadets in the ser vice of the Pacific Mail Steamship company. They were examined in the first four rules of arithmetic, sim ple geography, spelling and punctua tion. Five candidates were accepted. The San Francisco Chronicle referring to this examination says : 'Tt was demonstrated during the course of ex aminations that the applicants who had received their schooling in pri vato institutions failed most conspic uously, while all the successful candi dates weio educated in the public schools." On tho 28th ult the advertised sale of the Sacramento Union took place and tho property was bid in by Paul Moriull, one of the proprietors, for $65,000, for the firm. No change will take place in the ownership, manage ment or tone of the paper. OUR CHURCHES. B>Bl—l— till Hevi.'W r,,r !!■>' Voir All KvllKioiiN M— tU Prosperous in l.os Auji<>l<-«. Los Ang«l« can witli pride call nt- I•OXIon to tlie number of its religious organizations and tliuir general pros perity. Ten lieiioniiuat lottS are repre sented In tins city; each one has a large congregation and makes favora ble report for ihe year. In this relig ious review the Herald gives prefer ence to the Catholic Church, by right of priority. TDK CATHOLIC CHURCH. Tlie Catholics came to Southern California In 1709, and established a mlaflion at San Uabriel,the first in this county, in September 1771. In 1770 they made another Mission at San Juan Capistrano, and still another at San Fernando in 1797. The Mission Church In Los Angeles was establish ed several years later, as an especial cathedral for the soldiers from Spain who desired to worship apart from tlie natives. Daily services are still held in the San Gabriel church, erected over a century ago, and also in the Sau Juan and Los Angeles Mission churches. In 1812 the Mission church at San Juan Capistrano was thrown down by an earthquake—the only one in South ern California ever attended with loss of lives—and some thirty worshippers were crushed to death. Although by Spanish decree tlie Catholic orders were divested of their missions here, and the untutored native left to seek out his own civilization and his own salvation, the seed sown hy those early fathers has brought forth good fruit, even unto the present day. In Los Angeles county there are six Catholic churches—at Los Angeles, San Fernando, San Jose,Wilmington, Anaheim and San Gabriel. During the past year there has been a consid erable increase in the number of its members, on account of immigration and conversion. The Parish of our Lady of Angels, comprising Los An geles city and the large district from the San Fernando mountains to Wil mington, contains a population of 8,000 Catholics. The Mission church of San Fernando is visited occasion ally by a priest from Los Angeles city and Wilmington is also attended from here twice a month. Number of bap tisms in Los Angeles city during the past year, 307; deaths, 203; mar riages over 00. Here at the church of Our Lady of Angels resides lit. Itev. Thaddeua Amat, C. M., D. D., Rt.Rev. Francis Mora, Coadjutor Bishop; Itev. PeterVerdaguer, Hector; Itev. Michael Divan, Itev. Charles Flanagan, Itev. Michael Lynch and Rev. Gelss. The pastor of San Uabriel Mission is Itev. Joaquin Bot, assisted by Rev. Philip FarreUey, who attends Santa Ana mm AUnlnrlu. m uiuuiii nuU upper and lower San Jose, Los Nietos and Azusa, about once a month. We are not in position to state more about the Mission at San Juan Capistrano than that it is one of the oldest in the State and at present in charge of Rev. Joseph Meet as pastor. TIIK HEBREW SYNAGOGUE. The Hebrews established a Congre gation in this city In July, ISO 2. Rev. A. H. Edelman, a most worthy gen tleman, is at the head of the congre gation. At present it numbers over 50 members, and its prosperity during the year has been most satisfactory. The synagogue is on Fort street, be tween Second and Third streets. ST. ATHANASIUS' EPISCOPAL CHURCH. Episcopal services were first held in Los Angeles by Bishop Kip, in 1854, in tne then public hall on Main street, near the present site of tha Pico House. After an interval of nearly ten years, the Rev. Chat. Birdsall, now of San Francisco, commenced services in 18G4 and established the parish of St. Athanasius' Church. During his stay the brick edifice, still In use, was obtained from the Presby terians, whose first organization in the city had become extinct. In 18G6 Rev. Mr. Birdsall removed to Stock ton. He was succeeded by Revs. H. H. Messenger and J. T. Talbot for about one year each, when, after a temporary supply for a few months by the Rev. C. Q. Loop, now of San Gab riel, who had come to Southern Cali fornia for his health, the Rev. George Burton was called to theßectorship,in 1809. Mr.B commenced a boys' and also a girls' school, which met with partial success; but he resigned aad left for the North in August, 1870. Tho vestry then called the Rev. J. B. Gray, who entered upon his duties, November 20, 1870, and continued his services as Rector until Feb. 23,1874, when he re signed the Parish. Services were again held for a few weeks by the Rev. C. T. Loop, when, at Easter of the present year, the Rev. Wm. H. Hill accepted a call and entered upon the Rectorship. In May of the samo, year extensive repairs amounting to about $1,200, were made to the church build ing, the same being imperatively de manded. The present oflicers are: Rev. Wm, 11. Hill, Rector; C. N. Wilson, Secretary; Wm. Pridham, Treasurer; Vestrymen—E. M. Ross, W. McKec, C. N. Wilson, I. S. Mal lard, B. C. Truman, J. M. Griffith and Wm. Pridham. The number of coni ! municauts ut the accession of tlie present Rector was i;."»; since then 47 have been added, one has died aud two ' removed, making the pivent ■Mtbef j 107. The property owned by the Par ish consists of the church building and lot (100 by MB ft.) on the comer of i Temple and New High streets; also, a ' tract of M acres a short distance north of the present terminus of the street railroad A brick church has been built in San Gabriel valley by Mr. Francis Vinton, of Rhode Island, at a cost of about $5,000. There has been no formal church organization but the Rev. H. H. Messenger has officiated : there regularly until December, 1871, ! when he resigned, and the place is now vacant. RtY. C. T. Loop holds regular services at Anaheim, and a church will soon 0e built at that place. The Rev. J. B. Gray holds monthly services at Wilmington and Conipton. It is not known that any other Epis copal services arc held in this county. THE M. E. CHURCH, In the year 1853, Bishop Ames, Pres ident of the California Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, ap pointed Rev. Adam Bland to what was then called tho "Southern Cali fornia Mission," and stationed him in Los Angeles city. When he arrived, with his wife and one little white headed girl, there was not a furnished room to te. had for them, either in hotel or private house, as was thought , owing to the strong prejudice that ex isted against protestant ministers. There was not a member of the M. E. Church in Los Angeles at the time, but during the yearJ. W. Potts, who was living three miles below tho city, moved into it, and was the only mem ber at quarterly official meetings—Dr. Whisler aud family, members, resid ing at EI Monte. Ministers were reg ularly appointed by the successive annual Conference sessions every year from 18-53 to 1857, inclusive; one hav ing fallen at his post—Rev. Elijah Merchant, who died in 1850, in a little adobe house, occupied as a parsonage on First street. But little was accom plished during these yoars, the preju dice being very strong against this branch of tlie church; and not until 1800, when a permanent organization was effected by tho Rev. A. Bland, then Presiding Elder of the Stockton District, the Rev. C. Gillett being ap pointed "preaoherin charge" until the ensuing Conference. In 18G7, during the pastorate of Rev. A. P. Heridon, a plain brick church was erected on Fort street, at a cost of §3,000, in which ser vices have been held regularly ever since. Rev. James Corwin succeeded Rev. A. Bland as Presiding Elder of the district, and during his term, and while Rev. A. M. Hough was pastor, a parsonage was built on the same lot with the church. In 1871 our present Presiding Elder, Rev. J. R. Tansey, was appointed to the district. The membership has been steadily in creasing since the organization in ISGG, until it has now reached the num ber of 148 in full connection. The church property, including the par sonage, is worth about $7,000. A new church enterprise has been inaugurat ed, which will be completed during the ensuing Spring. Already nearly $6,000 has been subscribed by the membership alone, several of them giving as high as $500 each, and most of the amount in notes payable on a certain day. This amount, which will yet be increased by the members, to gether with what will be realized from the sale of church property and the aid they hope to receive from business men who feel interested in the growth and Improvement of the city,will enable them to erect a house of worship which will add to the numer ous attractions of the place and which will prove a source of blessing to the community. They design to erect a church worth from $12,000 to $15,000, with basement for Sunday School, and other modern improvements. The Sunday School, including two Bible classes, numbers about 100, with an average attendance of 80. Services are held every Sabbath day at 11 A. if. and 7p. M.; Sunday School at 12:30 p. M. Prayer meeting every Thursday evening at 7. Seats free and all made welcome. Rev. J. M. Campbell is the present pastor of the church, and he is an efficient and zealous minister. THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. This church was organized with 17 members by Itev. T. Frazer, on the 11th of January, 1874, and Judge John S. Thompson and Mr. John F. Hawley were elected ruling elders. Their or dination occurred before the first com munion service, held on Sabbath, the Ist day of February. Rev. A. Cal houn, of the United Presbyterian Church, from Philadelphia, by invita tion, took the pastoral charge of the church during his temporary sojourn in this city. He filled the position with ability and acceptance until the Ist of April, after which time the church was without a minister for two months. Rev. A. F. White, LL. D., of Oakland, supplied the pulpit from the last Sabbath in May until the Ist of July, A Bible class was organized on the 7th of June and ou the 21st of that month, at thesecand communion season, there were seven additions to MM church by letter ami one on pro fession. On tbe sanu'dny, by a uiiati- Imoua vote, a call was extended to Rev. Dr. White to become tlie regular PMfeW of the church. During a neces sary absence of six weeks, this call was accept(><!, ami on the 16th of Au gust the pastor elect entered upon his appropriate duties. On the 23d of August, Dr. James McKce ifmelected superintendent of the Sabbath School, which was properly organized with ten pupils the following Sabbath. At a communion service held on the 13th of September there were sixadditi >; •• to the church by letter and one on pro fession, A Hoard of Deacons Vtl elected on the 20th and ordained on the 27th of the same month. There was al-o a Hoard of Trustees elected the Ist of November. At the com munion service which occurred on the Oth of December there were twelve additions by letter and live on profes sion. There have been connected with this church, in all, 49 members. One was dismissed to unite with a church in Oregon, and two have re moved to others of the country. There have been two adult and two infant baptisms. Including the Bible class, there are 107 names ou the list of pupils in the Sabbath School, of whom 103 are in attendance. There is a good choir, and flood Templars' Hall, where public worship is held, is well filled by an intelligent congrega tion. The Trustrees are arranging for a lot in a central locality aud it is ex pected soon to make an effort to erect a house of worship. TIIK CONGREGATIONAL CIIUHCH Is located on New High street and was organized in October, 1808. The present pastor, Itev. D. T. Packard, commenced here in January, 1874. The membership of the church is 00, nearly as many having removed during the past year as were received. Rev. Josi ah Bates supplied the pulpil for a few months between the pastorate of Rev. J. T. Wills and that of tlie present in cumbent. Dr. Lucky preached for the church during the Summer months, while the pastor was East. The house of worship has lately been beautified by a new cupalo and the site will soon become more desirable than ever, when the grading of the street is completed. Much interest is sutstained in the Sabbath School, un der the superintendence of Mr. Bent, and the congregation has largely in creased during the year. Great aid is now afforded by the new choir. THE METHODIST CHURCH SOUTH. TheM. E. Church South was organ ized in Los Angeles city in 1870, with eight members. The church was first served by Rev. M. W. Glover; then by the Rev. G. R. Butler. In Janu ary, 1873, Rev. A. M. Campbell, the present pastor, was put in charge. During the last pastorate the member ship has more than quadrupled itself.- The congregation, as yet, have no house to worship in, but is making an effort to build an elegant edifice—one that will be an ornament to tho city and worthy the cause of religion. A lot on Spring street has been pur chased, and almost money sufficient to build has been obtained by sub scription. The congregation at present worship in Grange Hall, on Main street. There is a Sabbath School connected with the charge'minibering 08 pupils. Undertaken, as this great moral work was, under adverse cir cumstances, the pastor and congrega tion feel that there is much to cause gratitude to the Great Moral Gover nor of tlie world for the measured suc cess which He has vouchsafed to grant to their labors. Churches and school houses are the eloquent moral apos tles of any community and preach more effectively for itß prosperity aud growth than anything else; and if so ciety everywhere would realize this truth and labor to advance the moral and mental training of tts members, untold would be the advantages to all classes and channels of business. BAPTIST CHUBCII. The Baptists of Los Angeles estab lished a congregation last Summer. The membership is small, but steadily ou the increase. Dr. W. Hobbs at present fills the pulpit. This congre gation as yet has no church of its own but services are held each Sunday in one or the other of our public build ings. THE GERMAN CHURCH, Under the German Evangelical Inde pendent Church, was established on the Sth day of July, with Rev. J. C. Zahn as pastor. The church is yet in its infancy, the average attend ance being but fourteen. The pastor says this is a hard field, but he is determined to build up a good con gregation. From his own means, at an expense of $0,000, ho has erected a frame church, witli seating capacity for 300 peisons, and comfortable par sonage. Rev. Mr. Borchard, a Lu theran missionary, is at Anaheim, or ganizing a church congregation ther?, DISCIPLES OF CHRIST. The Disciples of Christ are worship ing in tho Court House for the pres ent. Preaching every Lord's Day at 11 o'clock. Although not regularly organized, there is a membership of 23. Sunday school meets in the same place at 10 o'clock. Number of teach ers aud scholars, 19.