Newspaper Page Text
600 Million Gallons Raw Water Storage
17 Million Gallons Filtered Water Storage. Filtered and Sterilized Daily Bacteriological Examinations Service Our Aim Is Prompt, Efficient and Courteous Service With The Help of Our Consumers ^ -A' *? Barcroft Dam and Storage Reservoir Building North St. Asaph Street ALEXANDRIA WATEK COMPANY One of Greatest Development Factors of Alexandria for S'carly Three Quarters of a Century?lias Been The City's Greatest Health Bene factor as well as Protection Against Fire. Three quarters of a century ago a group of enterprising far-seeing citizens recognized the need of a water supply for the protection of the health of its citizens as well as a safeguard against fires.' The Alexandria Water Company was the result and throughout its career these public spirited progres sive men who from time to time have been at the head of its management have made themselves felt as potent factors in the upbuilding of the city and its expansion?in Tact there has been no single factor which has done more to develop Alexandria than the water company. It is perhaps the only privately owned water company which free of charge supplies the city hydrants with water, thus affording protection against conflagrations, and the sup ply is always ample to take care of any emergency with which the city may be confronted. BWBW????? ? - Filtration Plant and Distributing Reservoirs Chartered by the legislature of Virginia in the company began op erations in 1852 with a pump of about one million gallons capacity per day, the Cameron Run Pumping Station, being the initial source. This was operated by an overshot water wheel, pumping water to the present small reservoir on Shuter's Hill containing about two and a half million gallons capacity. In 1887 a new and larger reser voir was built with a capacity of 13Vs million gallons, and in 1889 a new steam pump with a capacity of 1% million gallons a day and a steam boiler were installed, together with a new pumping main from the Cam eron Run Pumping Station to the reservoirs. The growth of the city demanded further enlargement cf the source of the water supply, and the company always alert to keep pace with the demand, purchased the nec essary land and water rights for the construction of the Barcroft Dam and Storage Reservoir, which structures were built and completed in 1913-15. The new reservoir when full covers 3!7 acres holds six hundred million gallons, providing thereby a sufficient water supply for Alexandria for a year even should there be no rainfall. The dam is a concrete structure 550 feet long, and nearly 70 leet high at its maximum point. Not satisfied with these improvements the company in 1912 arranged for the purchase of the high service system of the Rose mont Development Company in order to supply water to customers who re side above t.hn level of its distribu ting reservoirs. This plant has been enlarged from time to time. In order to give full protection to the health of the community and its consumers, the company three year? ago installed a modern filtration rnd sterilization plant v*ith a capacity for filtering of two and a half mil lion gallons per day. The storage supply at the filtration and steriliza tion reservoirs is about fifteen million gallons or a ten-day supply for the city. The quality of water now supplied to consumers by the tympany is sec ond to none in the w'rld. Its filtra tion plant is in charge of an exper ienced superintendent, and chemist, who is in charge of a fully equipped chemical laboratory. Daily and almost hourly examination is made of the water as it is supplied to distribu tion system, the company sparing no pains or expense to furnish a per fectly safe and healthful drinking water to its consumers. Further improvements , and exten sions arc planned by the company. It proposes as soon as economic, condit ions are ripe to build a pipe line from Barcrofts Reservoir to its filtration plant a distance of five and a half miles, changing its low pressure sys tcm from a pumping plant to a grav ity supply. The dry spe!! of last year gave am ple evidence of the protection which the company gives the city for at no time was Alexandria in danger of a water famine. The officers of the company are Urban S. Lambert, president; George Uhler, secretary and treasurer; Chas. E. Tennesson, assistant to secretary ar.d treasurer; Gardner L. Boothe, attorney; David J. Howell, general manager, Victor E. Beagle, superin tendent; Jarnes H. Spurr, superin tendent and chemist of filtration plant. The directors include C. S. T. Burke, Arthur H. Bryant, Edward L. Daingerficld, George S. French, Worth Hulfish, and Carroll Pierce. Mr. Lambert is a member of the Kiwanis Club, the Chamber of Com merce, and is vife-president and cash ier of the Citizens Bank. He was for many years a member of the city council and is one of the most prom inent business men and financiers of Northern Virginia. General Manager Howell was for twenty-five years consulting engineer of the water company . He is a Ki wanian and a member of the Chamber of Commerce, and is an expert on water system development.