The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Malvern daily record.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Malvern daily record. [volume] : (Malvern, Ark.) 1916-current
Place of publication:
Malvern, Ark.
Geographic coverage:
  • Malvern, Hot Spring, Arkansas  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Julian H. Beerstecher
Dates of publication:
1916-current
Description:
  • Vol. 1 [no. 1] (Oct. 7, 1916)-
Frequency:
Daily (except Saturday and Sunday) July 14, 1969-
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Hot Spring County (Ark.)--Newspapers.
  • Malvern (Ark.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Also issued on microfilm from the Arkansas History Commission.
  • Numbering is irregular.
  • Special "Fiftieth Anniversary edition" published Oct. 7, 1966.
  • Suspended in Oct. 1919; resumed with Nov. 15, 1919 issue.
LCCN:
sn 85032972
OCLC:
12959730
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Malvern daily record. [volume] October 30, 1916 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Malvern Daily Record

Malvern, a town in southwestern Arkansas, is the Hot Spring County seat. Hot Spring County was created in 1829 from land originally part of Clark County. In 1873, Garland County was created using Hot Spring County lands, and it took with it the city of Hot Springs and all the natural springs from which the county had taken its name except for one. Though Hot Spring County no longer encompasses many springs, it does have plentiful mineral deposits that are important to local economies.

Incorporated as a town in 1876, Malvern was established in 1873 as a railway station for the Cairo and Fulton Railroad. It served as a transfer point from stagecoaches to train, moving goods and people along to Hot Springs and other cities. Malvern grew rapidly due to the railroad, and the county seat was moved from Rockport to Malvern in 1878. Malvern became a brick manufacturing center, with several brick plants operating in the area using the abundant clay deposits to manufacture bricks. In the 1920's, Acme Brick Company took over one of the local brick manufacturers. Clem Bottling Works was another industrial plant in Malvern, established in 1907 to manufacture and bottle soda.

In 1916, Julian Heard Beerstecher and his wife Kate Brice Beerstecher moved to Malvern and founded the Malvern Daily Record. It began as a four-page paper and eventually grew to an average of seven pages. The Beerstechers published the paper every day except Sundays. The Record was Democratic and focused on local community news, but it also reported some national and international events.

Before moving to Malvern, Julian Beerstecher worked at The Arkansas Gazette (1889-1991) and then as printing clerk in the state auditor's office. Beerstecher was an active Democrat and prominent in Malvern civic life. While publishing the Record, he also worked as the Malvern city clerk and later served as president of the Arkansas Press Association. In December 1916, Beerstecher leased the Malvern Times-Journal (1913-1923), and briefly ran both the Times-Journal and Daily Record. In 1947, the Beerstechers remodeled an office building and purchased a new typesetting machine for their printing business. Julian Beerstecher worked on the Record until his death in 1948.

After Beerstecher's death, his wife and daughters owned and operated the Record, with Kate Beerstecher acting as publisher, Frances A. Beerstecher as editor, and Alix Beerstecher Butler as business manager. Kate Beerstecher was a charter member of the Arkansas Newspaper Women's Association (now the Arkansas Press Women) established in 1949. The Record won third place in a national competition for the editorials written by Frances Beerstecher. When Kate Beerstecher died in 1967, her daughters continued running the paper. The next year, the sisters retired and sold the paper to William "Bill" Robert Whitehead, Sr. and Ray Kimball. In 1969 the Record changed to Tuesday through Saturday publications. The paper is currently owned by Horizon Publications, Inc.

Provided by: Arkansas State Archives