About Alma record. (Alma, Mich.) 1878-1928
Alma, Mich. (1878-1928)
- Alma record. : (Alma, Mich.) 1878-1928
- Place of publication:
- Alma, Mich.
- Geographic coverage:
- Miss C.M. Fleming
- Dates of publication:
- -v. 50, no. 41 (Dec. 27, 1928) = -whole no. 2597.
- Began in 1878?
- Alma (Mich.)--Newspapers.
- Gratiot County (Mich.)--Newspapers.
- Michigan--Gratiot County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206847
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 7, no. 10 (June 5, 1885) = whole no. 322.
- Merged with: Alma journal (Alma, Mich.), to form: Alma record and Alma journal.
- sn 85038709
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Alma Index of Alma, Michigan, began publishing in April 1879 under the direction of M.L. Hart. The paper changed hands often its first years. In 1881, its name changed to the Gratiot County Record. The paper was sold in 1883 and renamed the Alma Record. By 1885, the masthead displayed the name of its eighth owner, Miss C. M. Fleming, of Stanton, Michigan.
Charles F. Brown first appeared in the Alma Record as proprietor on March 18, 1887, after having previously serving as business manager. Brown had considerable newspaper experience, having owned and operated the Sheridan News and trained as an apprentice at the Williamston Enterprise. While newspaper owner, Brown became involved in a number of financially successful local activities. He was also active in the Republican Party and was frequently elected to local office. Brown's standing in the community was recognized when he was appointed Alma's postmaster in 1898. Brown sold the Alma Record in 1903. P.N. Bland of Detroit took over as owner and editor of the paper, while Caris Brown, who had formerly assisted Bland, became associate editor. Brown left to co-found his own paper, the Alma Journal, in 1904.
The Alma Record and Alma Journal began publishing on January 3, 1929. Managed by Babcock & Babcock, the newspaper represented the union of the Alma Record and the Alma Journal. On December 26, 1963, its title was shortened to the Alma Record.