Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Washburn times. [volume] (Washburn, Wis.) 1896-1976
Washburn, Wis. (1896-1976)
- The Washburn times. [volume] : (Washburn, Wis.) 1896-1976
- Place of publication:
- Washburn, Wis.
- Geographic coverage:
- J.E. Jones
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 5, no. 43 (Dec. 16, 1896)-v. 83, no. 4 (May 13, 1976).
- Washburn (Wis.)--Newspapers.
- Absorbed: Washburn news, July 10, 1924.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Available on microfilm from The State Historical Society of Wisconsin.
- Editors: J.E. Jones, April 11, 1901-Sept. 28, 1905; N.M. Oscar, Oct. 5, 1905-Aug. 11, 1910; G.E. Plant, Aug. 18-Oct 20, 1910; W.A. Robinson, Oct. 27, 1910-Oct. 3, 1929; C.M. Sheridan, March 26, 1942-Sept. 25, 1947; P.L. Robinson, Feb. 3, 1949-Feb. 27, 1969; E.J. Korpela, April 17, 1969-May 13, 1976.
- Publisher varies.
- Supplements accompany some issues.
- sn 85040437
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Washburn times. [volume] September 20, 1899 , Image 1
The Washburn Times was first published by John E. Jones on December 16, 1896. The weekly succeeded the Times (1895-1896) and the Iron River Times (1892-1895), previously published in Washburn.
After its founding in 1833, the community of Washburn, located on the shores of Lake Superior amid abundant forests and terrain, grew with the thriving lumber and sandstone industries. A great fire threatened the community's population and structures in 1894, but it did not stop the town's continuing growth. By the time the Washburn Times was established, Washburn had become a community of 6,000 inhabitants. In later years, the town became known for the local explosives plant Dupont Company, which employed more than 6,000 people to support the war effort during World War I.
According to the editor, the first years of the publication were shaped by "all sorts of squalls and blows" but Jones soon turned the Times into the leading newspaper of Bayfield County, praised by many other local newspaper publishers. During his time as editor, Jones, a Republican, also served a variety of political offices and as president of the Northern Wisconsin Press Association. The Times reflected his political leaning and involvement.
In September 1905, Nels M. Oscar bought the Times, admitting in his first issue that "the primary reason for purchasing THE TIMES is to make money. This is perhaps a pointed remark, but why not?" Politically, he promised to continue the publication's tradition in supporting the Republican Party and, thereby, Governor LaFollette. Politics aside, in columns such as "Local and Personal" and "Curb Stone Gossip" the newspaper included many local happenings and short notes about community members.
Oscar remained editor until August 1910. Although his successor, George E. Plant, only briefly edited the Times for two months, he added a quotation from Abraham Lincoln to the masthead, which remained there for over two years: "Motto: -- With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right." William A. Robinson became the next editor of the newspaper and held the position for 22 years until 1932. The Times continued until its 1976 consolidation with the Bayfield County Press into the Washburn-Bayfield County Times.
Provided by: Wisconsin Historical Society