Newspaper Page Text
VOL. ID. •&QS. iJfit •. J*?1 NO. 614 DAKOTA'S CAPITAL. Brief History of the Removal ot the Seat of Government from Yankton. How and Why Bismarck Was Select ed Above All Others as the Capital City. A Description of the Central Portion ol the Capitol Buildinar Now Fully Completed. With a Pertect Picture of the Entire Structure as It Will Appear When Finished. The Whole a Magnificent Free Gift to the People of Dakota Territory. Kecord of a Year. Exactly one year agoGov.Ordway approved the bill passed by tbe territorial legislature, remov ing the seat of government from the city of Yankton. For twenty one years the capital had been located in that city, at the extreme south east part of the great territory of Dakota, and the sessions of the legislature and the territorial offices bad to be provided for in rented and in appropriate buildings. Early in the session the legislature resolved to delay no longer in taking some appropriate and jndiciouB action toward carrying ont the wishes of the people, and per manently locating the capital at some central and accessible point. As the result 6f wise counsels and careful consideration of the vari-t ous plans for the accomplishment of so import ant a work, the legislature on March 8,1883, passed tbe bill known as house fi'e number 217, removing the seat of government com Yankton. The PROVISIONS OF THE LAW were plain and unmistakable in tbeir intent, and the bill went no further than to provide for the summary removal of the seat of govern ernment and its subsequent re establishment at some point to be selected by the nine members of the capital commission named in the bill, on or before July 1,1883. During the intervening time the right of.the governor to temporarily name the capital was recognized. The act was so drawn and amended that the capital com missioners could not profit by the exercise of tbe ministerial power granted them, and they were simply commanded on or before July 1, to lo cate the capital at some point most convenient and centrally located to the people of the entire territory. Both the present boundaries of the territory and the possible fatare boundaries of the state were to be taken into consideration, and the only restrictions as to location was the provision that the city or county in. which the capital should be located must first contribute $100,000 cash and 160 acres of land, the pro ceeds from the sale of which should also be de voted toward securing the erection of a perma nent capitol building. The commission named in the bill consisted of four members from south, three from north, one from cen tral Dakota, and one from the Black Hills, viz: Alexander Hughes, Alexander McKenzie, B. F. Spalding, Dr. W. Scott, Geo. H. Mathews, John P. Belding, D. M. Thompson, O Myers, De Long. The commission duly organized by the election of officers and at once advertised for bids for the LOCATION OF TEE CAPITAL, which were duly opened at a public meeting of the commission held at Canton, D. T. Immedi ately afterward the commission visited in a b'jdy the dozen or more cities that presented bids, chief among which were Bismarck, Huron, Pierre, ATit«h»n, Ordway, Aberdeen, Steele, Ganton and Redfield. The largest bid was $160,000 cash and 160 acres of land, offered by the city of Mitchell. The commission, however, took chiefly into con sideration the desirability of a fine natural site, good surroundings, and a location central, both to population and area. After giving the sub ject the most careful attention, and examining the cities and their claims in the most thorough and unprejudiced manner possible, the commis sion, at a meeting held at Fargo-on the 3d day of June, 1883, unanimously decided upon Bis marck, and named this city as the capital of Dakota. Immediately thereafter the governor and other territoeial officers removed their offices to this city and into a temporary capitol builds jug, which waB at once provided. Bismarck citi zens without delay placed in the hands of the treasurer of the capital commission the $100,000 donated toward the erection of the oapitol build ing. which is to be given as a free gift to the people of Dakota. The commission, as pro vided in the capital removal act, immediately took the necessary steps for securing the erection of the capitol building, and from a number of plans selected that of Architect Buffington, of Minneapolis, Minn. The cat presented, on this page is made from the plans and sketch of Architect Buffington, and is an absolutely cor rect representation of THE CAPITOL BUILDING, as it will appear when fully completed. The exterijr of the central part of the building, ex clusive of that portion of the tower above the roof is already completed. is The seat of government was located at Bis marck on the 3rd day of June last. One hun dred and sixty acres of the half section donated by the city for a site for the seat of government, was platted and laid out into lots, streets, parks, etc. Eighteen acres in the centre of this tract was reserved for the capitol building and grounds. The contracts for the erection of the main or center building was let August 17, pnd the excavation for the foundation was commenced on the same day. So rapidly did the work progress that by the 20th of January, 1884,4,000,000 of brick were laid in the walls ike roof was on, the iron work placed in posi tion, and the building ready for the plasterers. Xhe most skilled workmen ware employed and "HT s* •:a$ pbimuTh only,^he very beat iaaterkM%as used ifs con struction. All the brick were laid in cement. The finish is of Sims pressed brick, which are equal to the best, and are of a light salmon color. The trimmings are of Joliet stone and terra cotta, which contrast finely with the brick. The part now BO near completion is 92 feet in width by 153 in length and three stories above the basement. The basement is twelve feet high and lighted and ventilated, and will be used for committee rooms, store rooms etc. The first or main fljor is eighteen feet to the ceilings has four halls which center in the ro« tunda, and will be occupied as follows: Execu tive offices, offices for attorney general and the treasurer, superintendent of publio instruction, railroad and tax commissioners. Each office is provided with a fine fire proof vault. On the second floor is the ball of the house of representatives, 50x93 feet, with 35 foot ceilings. It occupies all of the west end of the building above the second floor to the roof. When fin ished this will be one of the finest assembly chambers in tbe west, and will seat comfortably fiom 150 to 175 membeis. It will have a gal lery with a large seating capacity. The remain ing portion of this floor is for committee rooms and offices for the judges of the supreme court. The third floor will be used for committee rooms. Steam heating apparatus and gas and elec tric light fixtures will be placed in the build ing by the middle of April, and it will be en tirely completed and READY FOB OCCUPANCY by the 15 th of next June. There has been al ready expended $120,000, and it will require a further expenditure of $60,000 to finish and put in the necessary heating apparatus. The south front, to be built this summer, from the pro ceeds of the sale of the lots deeded to the terri tory, is 90x100 feet and is to be of the same height and finish as shown above, and will con tain the senate chamber with necessary commit tee room', territorial library, etc. The completed building has four sntrances and four fronts, each having the same finish. The tower is 186 feet in height above the ground level. The bnilding stands upon an elevation about 100 feet above the business portion of the city, and commands a view for twenty miles up and down the river. Bismarck Brick Blocks. The pride of the city of Bismarck is her solid and substantial brick buildings, all but one of which were erected during the year 1883, and which will be succeeded by as many more during the present year, the plans for which are already drawn, and in one or two instances work has been commenced. The new briok buildings for 1884 will inolude two hotels, a livery stable business house for L. N. Griffin, business house of Capt. Baker, bank of Mellon Bros' and severa! other three-story buildings for store and office purposes. Of course the most prominent brick bnilding in Bismarck is the territoiial capital, which occupies a commanding position, and which is visible for miles. This is fully described elsewhere and further mention is not necessary. Next of importanoe comes the territorial peni tentiary, located a mile east of the city, and erected at a oost of $50,000. The new high school, just completed at a cost of $30,000, occu pies a commanding position midway between the business center of the eitv and the capitol. The largest business building is the three story and basement First National bank block, which is now ready for occupancy, and which coat $65,000. This building is to be occupied by the Firat National^bank, Frank Frisby, druggist, J. W. Clarke, atationer,the United States land office and other tenants. Tbe next building in size and artistic appearance is the Dakota Block, Bismarck Street Kail way. One of the wealthiest and best known of the self-made men of the great northwest is Thomas Lowry, the Millionaire owner of the Minneapolis and St. Paul street railway systems. Mr. Lowry came to the northwest a dozen years ago, his only capital being a knowledge of law and a faith in the future of Minnesota, Dikota and the great northwest. That he is today one of the wealth iest citizens of Minneapolis and the best known business man of Minnesota, iB due largely to his sonnd business judgment, backed by his faith in the future of the northwest. At an early day Mr. Lowry recognizsd the fact that Bismarck is to be the Minneapolis of Dakota, acd he invested largely in Suttle's and Coffin's additions to this city, and is today largely interested in 1,000 acres of land adj ining the city and capitol grounds on tbe north, southjand east. Bismarck could rnceive no higher compliment than to Be selected by Mr. Lowry as a! good place for in vestment. He has made a fortune not onlv for himself, but for many otners who have en trusted money with him foj investment. He is interested in the proposed srstem of street rail way for Bismarck, and will jmprov. his property by making it easily accessible by lines of Btreet railroad and then selling eaib alternate lot. Mr. Lowry makes $100 a day profit out of his Min neapolis street railways, ana will invest a large pait of this in improving his Bismarck prop, erty. Application has been made for the rail way charter and it is propojed to have the street care running during the present year. Bismarck Banks. Bismarck has five bank*, viz The First Nat ional, the Bismarck National, the Merchants National, the' Capital Naaiopal and the bank of Mellon Bros. All occupy large banking rooms especially built for the purpose and all but one are located in brick buildings owned by the officers or stockholders of each institution.' All are well officered, have new firo and burglar proof vaults and safes, are conservatively con ducted and do a large and strictly legitimate banking business. Tiie Merchants National and Capital National are referred to in detail else where in this issue,and anything further regard ing them is unnecessary, The First National bank occupies a block of its own erected at a cost of $65,000 and is one of the most substantial financial institutions sv&r* -*—r^w BISVIARCK, DAKOTA, MONDAY, MARCH 24, 1884—ILLUSTRATED EDITION. Price Five Cents. THE NEW DAKOTA STATE HOUSE AT BISMARCK, NOW UNDER CONSTRUCTION TO BE READY FOR OCCUPANCY IN JUNE, 1884. corner Main and Second streets. This is a three story building erected at a Coat of $34,000, and is,occupied on. the ground floor by Whitley & Bushman, wholesale grocers, H. B. Mead & Co., dry goods, Peterson & Yeeder, diuggists, H. H. Day, jeweler, and office tenements on tbe second and third floors. The Bfcmarclc National bank block, erected in 1882 at a cost of $35,000, is occupied by the bank, Sig. Hanauer & Co., whole sale clothiers, a publio hall and masonic lodge room on the third floor and offices on the seoond floor. The Central block, three story brick, cost $35,000, and is occupied by Van Houten Bros. & Little, hardware, M. Eppinger, clothing, and numerous law, real estate and business offices. The Merchants' National bank block, a three story structure, corner of Fourth and Meigs streets, is just completed at a coat of $35,000, and is one of the moHt artistic aad perfectly built and furnished business buildings in the city. The banking room is furnished with costly fire and burglar proof vaults, and the en tire building, like the First National bank and other blooks, iB heated by steam. The Comer and Slattery block, corner Third and Meigs streets, is but two stories in height, but is a sub stantial structure and cost $16,000. It is occu pied by Johnson & Abrams, boots and shoes, C. H. Phelps' New York art store, and busine.» offices. z: .z^mm&m^wmm> "t'^-r "'c in the territory. The Bismarck National occu pies the first floor, corner of the Union brick block, and has as large a line of deposits, and does as large and conservative a business as any like institution in the northwest. Mayor Ray mond is president, and .the stockholders com prise the leading citizens and business men of Burleigh county. The bank of Mellon Bros, transacts a general banking business, makes col lections in all parts ..of the United StateB and Canada, and has correspondents in St. Paul, Chicago, New York and Pittsbu g. Its mamoth fire and burglar proof vault is conceded to be one of the best in Dakota, and is used by the Bismarck Loan and Trust company, and othera having valuable deposits. Bismarck Water Works. Hob. Alex McKenzie and B. B. Mellon of Bismarck are now in the east for the purpose of purchasing a Worthington pump and 800 tons of w*ter mains, and are under contract to fur nish Bismarck with a complete system of water works by the first day of July 1884. The ground, eighteen acres, near the bridge, has been secured, the survey for the mains made and active work will begin as soon as the frost is out of the ground. Not only will the terms of tbe ordinance and franchise be complied with, but larger mains will be put in and the branches extended northward two blocks further thau called for. Au engine house, will be required 30x100 of brick with iron rojf. Tbe water will be pumped from the river into large reservoirs and after it has thoroughly settled will be distributed by mains to all parts of the city. The original intention was to put in mains on Main street as far east as Tenth street and on seven or eight of the cross streets, but in addition to this it has been decided to cross the railroad rig'-.t of way and put in at least half a mile on the south side of the track. It is also intended to have the mains so ar ranged that a direct pressure can b9 had in case or fire, if desired, although the force obtained from the reservoir 150 feet above the city will be sufficient for ordinary purposes. The works will cost $100,000 when completed July 1st, next. Bismarck Greenhouses. In 1881 Major E. M. Fuller established the Bismarck greenhouses and nurseries, which is today one of the noted business enterprises of the territory. The enterprise haB paid well from the very first and Maj-r Fuller has today cover ing bis flower beds 10,000 feet of glass, including green houses and hot beds, and supplies tbe market with hot house and green house plants, vegetable plants, vegetable and flower seeds, forest trees and tree seed for timber culture. He handles no seeds or plants on commission, and bis business has grown to such an extent that his illustrated annual catalogue for 1883 comprises 40 closely printed pages. Bismarck cut flowers and floral designs are shipped to all partB of the territory and ad fining states during all seasons of th year. Coal Mining near Bismarck. C. W. Thompson, of Bismarck, superinten dent of coal development and supply for the Northern Pacific, in an interview with a Minne apolis Journal correspondent gave some inter esting information. Mr. Thompson said that his company is taking out 2109 tons of fine bitu minous coal per day at the Bozeman mines and iB giving employment to 200 men. Half of this output is from the Chestnut mine in the Rocky Canyon and the balance from the company's mine on the divide above. A narrow guage road has been constructed from the west end of the Bozeman tunnel to this mine and is now in ac tive operation, while other mines are on the eve of development. This coal is now shipped to *vrv*»'*-vj&r$ tL'dV^ Batte City and Wickes for use in the ore roast ing process and is admirably adapted to that pur pose and wii be used throughoat the mining districts of Montana as rapidly as they can be reached by railroad communication. ThiB coal is also used in locomotives and is Bhipped as far east as Moorhead and' as tar weBt as Butte City. The company has orders for 1,500 tons from one firm in Butte aloiie. The lignite mines at Sims, Dakota, Little Missouri, and Lignite Btation, are also producing well. About 100 tons are be ing taken out daily at Lignite, and from 100 to 200 tons daily at Little Missouri or Medora. This iB largely consumed by ssttlers along the line and is utilized with other ooal for generating steam for motive power in the operation of tbe road. When used with Bozeman bitumi nous coal the lignite is well adapted to this pur pose and is a great saving in expense of opera ting the great trans-continental line. The Marquis' Enterprise. Marquis de Mores, the millionaire Frenchman, who has been investing so muoh capital in cattle, slaughtering houses and lands on tbe line of the Northern Pacific railroad, is making Bismarck a central point for his operations. He has erected a cald storage house and ice house for the ac commodation of the large dressed beef, fish and butter trade that he will dp here. His ice house contains fifteen hundred tons. The Marquis owns sixteen thousand acres of land northeaBt of Bismarck that he will put under cultivation as soon as practicable. The present season he will break three thousand acres, and through his local attorneys, Allen and Barnes, will offer in ducements, to settlers on the adjoining govern ment lands. He will rent the plowed land in tracts of 80 acres and encourage small farmers. He means immediate development. The push ing Frenchman is also a heavy stockholder and officer of the Bismarck loan and trust company and is at this time in New York city, inviting capital on a large Bcale to come to Bismarck and Dakota and spread itself over our fertile prai ries. His operations extend from Portland to St. Paul. His attorneys live here, and the sec retary's cfflce of the Refrigerator Car company, bis largest interest, is in Bhmarck. The capi talization of this company is five million dol lars. Kidder County. Kidder county, which adjoins Burleigh county on the east, is one of the most fertile and pros: perous in North Dakota. To the seekers for new homes Kidder connty offers unusual attrac tions in fine farming lands, good schools, pure water and flourishing towns, of which Steele, the county Beat, is the chief. The first attempt at agricultural development in the oounty was in 1878, when W. F. Steele had 400 acres of bieak ing done. In 1879 Mr. John Van Deusen broke 1,300 acres on tbe Troy farm. During tbe years 1880-1-2 the Steele farm had 700 acres un der cultivation, the Troy farm 2,000 acres, and other settlers 2,900 acres, making a total of 5,600 acres. In the year 1883 alone 10,200 acres were broken, or nearly twice as much as during the three previous years, and this amount will probably be doubled next year. Over 200 farm houses were erected in Kidder county in 1883 and the city of Steele and other towns had a most wonderful and rapid growth. The hay product of the county for 1883 was 4,000 tons, of which 1,5Q0 tons were shipped to Fort Keogh Montana. Chamber of Commerce. Bismarck has a chamber of commerce, with over 100 members. Or. W. A. Bentley is presi dent, and F. J. McKinney, secretary, who will cheerfully give information about the Missouri slope. /v v.