Newspaper Page Text
In September, 1882. Col. C. A. Lounsberry in The North Dakota Magazine: March 3, 1853, Jelterson Davis, then secretary of war and later president of the southern confederacy, procured the passage of a resolution by congress authorizing him, as secretary of war, to make such explorations aa he deemed advisable to ascertain (he most practicable route for a railroad from the Mississippi river to the Pacific ocean. Under this resolution three expeditions were or ganized, one to survey a southern, one a central and the other a northern route. A southern route to the Pacific haJ long been a favorite scheme of the leading men of the south with a view to strengthening the predominating influence of that section in the na tional government against possible northern development. The panic of 1S57 intervened, and in 1861 the war of the rebellion. Re sulting from the war the construction of the Union Pacific railroad became a necessity, and the Interests of the northern route were overshadowed by the greater public Interests then de manding attention. The Union Pa cific railroad company was incorpor ated by act of congress July 1, 1862. Lands were granted, and also a sub sidy in bonds, in order to promote the construction of the road at the earliest possible date. July 2, 1864, the Nor thern Pacific railroad company was incorporated by act of congress. It was granted lands to the extent of forty sections to the mile in the ter ritories and twenty in the states, but a money subsidy was denied. Joseph Perham of Maine had been the leading character in securing the charter for the construction of the Northern Pacific railroad. Congress having denied a subsidy in money to aid in the construction the charter was likely to tall, when the active services of Thomas H. Canfield of Burlington, Vermont, were enlisted, and through his efforts a syndicate was formed consisting of J. O. Smith of St Albans. Vermont, Richard D. Rice of Augusta, Maine, and others. Later, Jay Oooke & Co., Charles B. Wright, Thomas A. Scott, Frederick Billings of Woodstock, Vermont, and Wm. Windom and Wm. King of Min nesota became identified with them, and to these men belong whatever credit is due for carrying to a suc Established in 1898 PRESIDENT THEO. ROOSEVELFS EARLY PHY EXPERIENCES IN NORTH DAKOTA As Recited By Colonel C. A. Lounsberry Who Has The Distinction of Being The First Han To Publish A Newspaper In What Is Now North Dakota—"Teddy" First Came To Dakota Territory cessful completion this great enter prise. In 1870 Mr. Canfield, accompanied by J. Gregory Smith, went to the line of the road and selected the crossing of the railroad at Bralnerd, Minnesota, laid out the town of Bralnerd, planned for the location of the shops and lo cated the Red river crossing at Far go. Mr. Canfield returned the next spring and located Moorhead and Far go, and in May 1872, located the Mis souri river crossing of the road and the town of Bismarck. Jnn. 1, 1872. the first rail was laid within the limits of North Dakota, the road having crossed the Red river at Fargo at that time. In June, 1873, it was completed to Bismarck, and ten years later the completion of the line was celebrated. Sitting Bull, who attacked the surveyors in June. 1S73, when they attempted to extend the survey westward from Bismarck, and who attacked and destroyed Cus ter's command on the Little Big Horn in June 1S76, carried the United States flag, accompanied by many of his warriors, in the procession which welcomed General Grant and others on this occasion. Edwin F. Johnson conceived the idea of the construction of the North ern Pacific railroad. At the office of Thomas H. Canfield, at Burlington, Vt., he planted the enthusiasm and aroused the energy in the breast of that young enthusiast, which organ ized the forces and pushed the work to completion. It was largely Can field's work which procured the char ter his work that saved It his that organized the syndicate which finally built It, and his that enlisted Jay Cooke in the enterprise. The great financial concern of Jay Cooke & Co., which had negotiated the bulk of the government loans dur ing the Civil war, was forced into bankruptcy by reason of Its connec tion with the construction of the Nor thern Pacific railroad and the panic of 1873 resulted therefrom. The bonds of the Northern Pacific which had been so recently placed at nearly par fell to 10 cents on the dollar, sweeping away the fortunes of thousands who had invested their all in the securl tes of the company. 1882 Hiram B. Wadsworth and W. L. Hawley of Minnesota shipped In 200 head of young cattle for ranging on North Dakota Institute Cure IS NOT A GOLD CURE NO CONTINUAL SUFFERING PATIENTS ARE SICK IRON ONE TO FIVE HOURS ONLY ABSOLUTELY NO BAD AFTER-EFFECTS the plains west of the Little Missouri river and established a ranch sixty miles up the river from Medora. Other ranching interests rapidly followed the establishment of this, the first ranch of importance in North Dakota. In 1881 Joseph and Sylvane Ferris and A. W. Merrifield came to the Little Missouri region and engaged in hunt ing. In September, 1882, Theodore Roose velt came to Medora, N. D., for the purpose of hunting. Joseph Ferris accompanied him on his hunting ex pedition and on Sept. 17, 1883, on the plains of North Dakota, Mr. Roose velt killed his first buffalo. On the trip Mr. Roosevelt became Interested in the subject of stock growing and on his return purchased the Maltese Cross herd of cattle and placed them In the hands of Sylvane M. Ferris and A. W. Merrifield on the Chimney Butte ranch seven miles south of Me dora. He added several hundred head to the bunch that fall and the next year established the Elkhorn ranch, thirty-five miles down the river from Medora. This ranch was in charge of Sewall and Dow. On the two ranches he had some 5,000 head of cattle, and twice a year visited these ranches and participated in the round up, one season remaining until Christmas. Theodore Roosevelt was not "Teddy" on the range but "Mr. Roosevelt" always, the men showing their respect for him In his absence as well as In his presence. During the present summer his son, Kermlt, rode on horseback from Deadwood to Medora, accompanied by Hon. Seth Bullock, and spent a few days with the ranch friends of Mr. Roosevelt, During his stay at Medora, Mr. Roose velt was one summer deputy sheriff and was as fearless and faithful In the performance of his duty as he ex pects his appointees to be. Mrs. Roose velt visited the ranch In the summer of 1890. He realned his interests In North Dakota cattle growing until the spring of 1898 before the Cuban cam paign, when he closed out with profit. After his election as president Mr. Roosevelt wrote as follows: White Honse, Washington, Nov. 10, 1904: My Dear Joe and Sylvane: No telegram that I received pleased me more than yours, and I thank yon for it Give my warm regards to v'?&1 ''V?# 1% .J&f: --'V S. It THE EVENING TIMES, GRAND FORKS, N. O. Mrs. Joe. friends. Mrs. Sylvane and all my Sincerely yours, THEODORE ROOSEVELT, The Medora President. The logs that were In the Chimney Butte ranch headquarters were taken to St. Louife and to Portland and re erected as they appeared on the range, and were a leading attraction at the Louisiana Purchase and Lewis and Clark expositions, and were then returned to Bismarck, where the Roosevelt cabin became the perma nent exhibit in the custody of the State Historical society. Marquis de Mores came to North Dakota in April, 18S3, a short time be fore Mr. Roosevelt, and Invested large sums of money in stock growing and in the packing industry, his intention being to grow the stock and kill them on the range, shipping in refrigerator cars to eastern markets. He built a fully equipped slaughter honse at Medora, with all the appurtenances necessary for the economical handling of all the by-products. He built cold storage houses at Bismarck, Fargo, Duluth, and other points and carried on an enormous business' until 1886, when he realized that he was In ad vance of the times and withdrew, re turning to France. In 1883, Sir. John Pender engaged in cattle raising near the Roosevelt and de Mores ranches, and the late M. Lang of Yule came from Scotland to look after his interests. Commander Henry Corringe was never interested in cattle, bat purchased the canton ment business from Frank More, the pioneer post trader. He brought in a carload of horses and ran a tourist outfit through the Bad Lands. Mr. Hostetter also had large Investments In this vicinity. Hon. A. C. Hulde koper of Pennsylvania and associates became Interested in this region and afterward made heavy investments in land and stock, closing out in 1906 for the sum of 1300,000 to Fred Pabst of the Pabst Brewing Co. The Eaton brothers, formerly of the Custer Trail ranch, were also among the early fac tors in the development of that re gion. The very first, however, to es tablish a stock business west of the Missouri was E. G. Paddock, who was engaged in freighting to the canton ment at the Little Missouri In 1879. He brought in a herd of cows to sup ply the cantonment with milk. The terminus of the Northern Pa cific railroad remained at Bismarck until 1880, when the work of construc tion commenced west of the Missouri river. The winter preceding a track was laid aeross the Missouri river on the ice and much of the heavy ma terial was poshed across the river that winter on the ice bridge. During the construction ot the bridge, cars were transferred by boat. The road cross ed the western boundary of the state and was extended to the Yellowstone In 1881. CHURCH ORDERS PROSPER. One of the most remarkable reli gions and industrial enterprises in North Dakota! is the Benedictine mon astery, centering at Rlchardton. The North Dakota Liquor Institute For the Cure o£ Liquor and Drug* Habits The SAFEST CURE and BEST EQUIPPED INSTITUTE in North Dakota, Demonstrated by Having the Largest Per* centage of Permanent Cures of Any Institute in the Northwest FALL VIEW OF THE NORTH DAKOTA INSTITUTE. Parties Desiring a Cure and Coming to Grand Forks and After Making a Thorough and Honest Investigation of Our Styles oi Treatment, i( Then Not Convinced of the Efficiency of Our Cure, We Will Gladly Pay All Expenses Incurred by Rail in Coming Here. TERMS: $100, INCLUDING ROOM, BOARD AND BATH Benedictine order bought tiro sec tions ot land about half a mile north west of the village several years ago and has since made other purchases and erected a group of buildings, In which are carried on schools and va rious industrial projects. The primary object of the Benedic tine order Is the work of missions and of courae a necessary adjunct Is a school for the training of men' and boys. Boys from the farms are given, courses of education during the win ter months, and they are at liberty to select subjects along commercial lines. Theu too there is a classical course for those who desire to be come members of the order and take the vows. The school and college department opens in September and closes in June. The present main building is a large three story and basement brick devoted to college and dormitory pur poses and in connection with the building there is a temporary chapel which at present serves as a parish church and for the faithful in town and those in the adjacent rural com munities. The services are conducted by the resident monks, twenty of them and they, too, serve as teachers and instructors. There are five pro bationers, eleven novices and candi dates and fourteen lay brothers. The monastery is under the supervision of Abbot Vincent who has been In the state since 1888 and moved from Dovils Lake to Richardton In 1893. Since the advent into the state of the Benedictine monks there have been twenty-sfx churches built as a result of their faithful efforts. Nearlng com pletion is the crypt »or a new church which it is hoped will be ready for divine service sometime in the fall of 1908. The sacred edifice will be 167 feet long, fifty-eight feet wide and there will be a transcept twenty-six feet long. It will' be Romanesque In design. There Is a clay deposit within the lands owned by the monks and out of this thousands of brick have been made and used In buildings erected and for future construction work by the monks. In the latter industry but very little outside assistance Is em ployed. Within their own lands the monks have also a splendid vein of lignite coal amply sufficient for their needs for many years to come—this, too, is mined by the monks. Natural* ly there is a good garden in connec tion with the monastery and fn it are raised all of the vegetables, etc., re quired in the domestic department, thus very much reducing the cost of maintaining the latter. Here, too, is fully demonstrated what can be done in floriculture out on the western prairies. The colony does everything la a practical, thorough manner. There is an air of thrift about the buildings and lands and substantial wealth is accumulating year by year. A young girl may look forward to parties with pleasing anticipations of meeting her fate, but after she has grown a little older she becomes more Interested In the refreshments. ~4 In 1881 the settlers began to come, most of whom are dead now or have moved away. There was E. F. Messer smlth, Jack McDonough, H. L. Dickin son who still lives here, and Mr. Mc Donald who Is dead. Mr. Dickinson bought land west of here, now In Young's addition, which he farmed. The first dwelling house was built fn 1883 and stood on a lot south of the First National bank. The Lenne vllle family lived in it for a time, then moved onto their farm south of town. This house was burned in 1890, with four other buildings. The Kllnefelters came In 1883 and kept the first hotel, which is the Villard house. Charley Klinefelter was the first assessor in Dickinson. In 1881 the railroad was laid through and the first round honse built The first pump house was run by Dave Roberts. The dam was built in the same year. AuHd Moore kept the first store, and Mike Cnskelly also kept one on the corner below the bank. "Old Dad" Slatcher bad the first hard ware store, where Mrs. Leonberger's building is at present Dr. McDonald was the first doctor and also kept the first drug store. He built the house that Mr. Freeman lives In. Jim Col Hater kept the first Inmber yard and lmllt the finest residence In the town, where A. T. Crowle's residence now stands. Tllten was the first shoe maker and afterwards the first photo grapher. George Auld kept the first postofflce in a tent on Front street Soott St Tingle were the first printers. Their shop was on the lot next to the Dakota National bank and was at the end ot Front street The first news papers were abont as large as a small sheet of writing paper and were laid at the door of each honse. J**' FRIDAY' DECEMBER 14, 1906. Reminiscences of The Early Days A Story of Pioneer Life at Dickinson, N. D. and in Stark County. The folowlng historical sketch ot Dickinson, N. D., and ot early 'lite on the Dakota prairies is from the pen of Miss Marjorle Johnson, a stu dent in the freshman class of the Dickinson school. "In 1880, when this country was just an endless prairie without a house as far as you could see, it was called Pleasant Valley. "In 1880 Charley Tresk went through to Miles City, and he camped south of here on the Antelope river. There was a herd of buffaloes grazing near on their way to water, and as he was out of meat he shot one of them from his wagon. During that year he killed over one thousand buffaloes around here, the hides of which he hauled to Mandan, as the railroad had only reached that point at that time. "The town was laid out in 1882 abd was named after Senator Dickin son of New York, a cousin ot H. L. Dickinson of this city. The lots were put on the market February, 1883. The first one bought was the one on which Freeman's store now stands, and waB owned by & F. Messersmlth. READ THIS TESTIMONIAL: The first bank, which was a private one, stood where Green's drug store is. Rau's had the largest building in town. It had a large back room and, as there was no court house or church, they used this room. The first preach er was* Mr. Shaffener, and the first church the Baptist. Hie first calaboose was the Lavlne bouse. It was made of two by fours nailed on top of each other. The first prisoners were a man and woman who had eloped, and had to stay In It all summer. "The first county officers were: Robert Lee of Gladstone, who waa the commissioner N. C. Lawrence, reg ister of deeds Belslgl, the deputy Tim Cuskelly, sheriff, and James Campbell, states attorney. "There was not much excitement ex cept what was caused by the cowboys who shot into the air and rode their horses into the saloons and houses. As there was no law nothing oould he done to prevent it "In 1983 Mr. Dickinson built five or six cottages, one of which is above V. H. Stickney's residence, and another was where the Mercihant's National bank now stands. The others have been moved away or torn down. "In 1882 there were thousands ot buffalo skins piled up on Villard street As they were common property ot the people a great many were carried off and a great many destroyed. The winter of 1886 was the hardest ever known. There was more snow than ever before and many blizzards. Oattle and sheep were lost by being drifted around by the wind. They would get nnder a hill or In a ravine where they would freeze to death. After they were found dead they were skinned and their bodies thrown into deep gulches. The first Fourth of July celebration was held in 1886. Theodore Roosevelt came over from his ranch near Medora and made the first speech. The exer cises were held on the court house square and a free lunch was served "for everybody. Old timers say that this was the best celebration ever hefld In Dickinson. Many Indians at tended." The boy ot today, In his unthankful moments should remember that he doesn't have to saw and chop up nat ural gas, and fill the wood box wftb it every night after school. It may please a woman when a man helps her over a crossing, but it makes her mad, when another woman at tempts it. It Indicates that the other woman Is thinking of age. We are getting so old we have con cluded that the hardy chrysanthemums are the finest flowers that. grow. It gets nothing but frost and lonesome ness in Its last days, and you bet that Is what all we old people are going to get Pembina, North Dakota, Oct. 3/1905. To Whom It May Concern We, the Board of County Commissioners of Pembina County, North Dakota, do hereby state that during the past five years we have sent a number of patients to the North Dakota Liquor Institute, located at Grand Forks, North Da kota, for treatment of the liquor and drug habits and to the best four knowledge over 80 per cent of the number sent have been permanently cured and have become good and pros perous citizens and have accumulated property. We consider the institution well worthy of patronage. Abe Cox, J. H. Horgan, Sig. Sigurdson, Fred J. Farrow, F. C. Myrick, Board of County Commissioners. Attest: Swain Thorwaldson, County Auditor. WE GUARANTEE 4 THOROUGH CURE IN TWENTY-ONE DAYS OR YOUR MO*EY REFUNDED 722 N. 3rd St. Grand Forks No. Dak.