About Jamestown alert. [volume] (Jamestown, Stutsman County, D.T. [N.D.]) 1878-1882
Jamestown, Stutsman County, D.T. [N.D.] (1878-1882)
- Jamestown alert. [volume] : (Jamestown, Stutsman County, D.T. [N.D.]) 1878-1882
- Place of publication:
- Jamestown, Stutsman County, D.T. [N.D.]
- Geographic coverage:
- E.H. & C.H. Foster
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (July 4, 1878)-v. 4, no. 80 (Feb. 17, 1882).
- Jamestown (N.D.)--Newspapers.
- North Dakota--Jamestown.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01208499
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Available on microfilm from the State Historical Society of North Dakota.
- Official paper of Stutsman County, 1879-1880.
- Published by: E.H. & C.H. Foster, July 4, 1878-Sept. 25, 1879; Marshall McClure, Oct. 2, 1879-Feb. 17, 1882.
- sn 85042404
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Jamestown Alert, promising to “be alert, watchful and fearless in all that informs, instructs, and for the general welfare of this country,” published the first volume on July 4, 1878, six years after the city of Jamestown, North Dakota, was established on the Northern Pacific Railroad near the military post of Fort Seward. Edward H. Foster was the editor. The Alert, with its five- column spread, struggled to get by and suspended publication from July to October of 1879. It was purchased by Marshal McClure, an experienced newspaperman out of Michigan who had originally located in Fargo. McClure published the Alert as a weekly until February 14, 1881, when he also brought out the Daily Alert. Later renamed the Jamestown Weekly Alert, the newspaper continued to publish under that title until June 1926.
Fort Seward served as a freighting point to Fort Totten located 70 miles north on Devils Lake, and the issues of the Alert chronicle the comings and goings of personnel at that post. They also documented settlement in Dakota Territory in what is now the central part of North Dakota.
The Daily Alert was renamed the Jamestown Daily Alert in 1881, but would alternate between those two names until 1925, with the exception of a three-year period from 1882 to 1885, when it was known as the Jamestown Morning Alert.
William R. Kellogg purchased the newspaper’s plant in 1886 and remained its owner until June 1925. A number of times throughout the history of the state, Jamestown vied to become the capitol of North Dakota, and Kellogg, with his folksy reporting style, strongly supported this effort. Due to its in-depth political analysis and circulation through the seven adjoining counties, the Jamestown Alert had a significant influence on politics of the day.
The Jamestown Alert managed to survive the efforts by the progressive Nonpartisan League to take over all of the state’s newspapers in the 1910s. However, by 1925, a sharp downturn in the economy and advancing age caused William Kellogg to retire and sell in July 1925. The Alert was purchased by the Hanson Brothers, and in July 1925 its name was changed to the Jamestown Sun and Jamestown Daily Alert.
Provided by: State Historical Society of North Dakota