Newspaper Page Text
THE PACIFIC COMMERCIAL ADVERTISER, HONOLULU, SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 1909.
o o c ..... o cm o
Our arrangement with the New York office enables
us to maintain the same schedule of prices in force on
the Mainland. . . v
All styles carried in stock for immediate delivery.
- . -
L IE M Q
Alexander Young Bldg.
- - - King Street
3 O tff1. O C
OCTftf iQf o iq rw Of""1flnPn
f f j? f f j? j? i? f a K',',',,,',,,,,K1J',,if,"',,,,,,,K, f ? f a? if j ?" if a? ? jf
y H64i ' I j - t. -
lit ." "!
OLD SAINT ANDREW'S PRO-CATHEDRAL.
& & & & .Jt & & St & b4 J fc4 fc J t4 v J st . j v & t4 t v vt J Jt & & v J v
EDIFICE TORN DOWN
A few weeks ago the old St. An
drew's Pro-Cathedral was sold to a
Chinese, torn down, and the old lum
ber used in the erection of quarters
for Orientals. It was built in 1866,
on land which Kamehameha IV and
Queen Emma had given to the Angli
can Church in April, 1863. The ad
joining building of St. Andrew's Prio
ry was erected early in 1867. "
Services were held in Hawaiian at
9:30 a. ni. and 4:00 p. m, on Sunday
and in English at 11:00 a. m. and 7:30
Queen Emma was a regular attend
ant and Kalakaua acted as interpreter
of the sermon. He was sometimes re
lieved by Hiram, the husband of Poo
,niaikelani, who was at that time a
sort of steward to Queen Emma.
Among the regular attendants were
Theo. H. Davies. Henry May, Daniel
Smith, Thomas Brown (the "father of
the late Mrs, Alex. Mackintosh),
Judge Robertson, the McKibben fami
ly, Capt. Luee, T. R. Walker and Tom
May. The last three were in the
In 1S69, Alex. Mackintosh, not then
ordained, and the late A. L. T. Atkin
son came to Honolulu, and Mr. Atkin
son acted as organist for many years.
When Bishop Staley left in 1870, Mr.
Mackintosh came from Lahaina and
took charge of the native congregation,
which consisted largely of the friends
and followers of Queen Emma. j
When Kalakaua was elected in 1874,
and some of the Queen Emma faction,
were in jail, word was sent to Naha
olelua that an attempt was to be made
on the life of the Queen on a certain
night at 12 o'clock. She said that she
did not believe it and tried to quiet
her friends, but they insisted that the
Queen should leave her house on the
corner of Beretania and Nuuanu and
go to St. Andrew's Priory and stay
with Sister Bertha for the night. Word
was sent to Mr. Wodehouse, the Brit
ish Commissioner, who went to the
King and told him of the report.
Queen Emma went to the Priory and
passed the night in the parlor still
standing just inside the gate, and
-lose to the Pro-Cathedral. Under the
Pro-Cathedral a number of men hid
so as to be ready in case of need. The
clergyman, the Rev. Mr. Dunn, in
1 order to appear loyal and a avert sus-
j picion, naa tne vainearai gruuuus ue
j corated with lanterns. The occasion
was the return of Kalakaua from a
tour of the island, and there was a
procession that night in his honor.
The hour when it was said the at
tempt was t,o be made was at midnight.
While Sister Bertha and a native lady-in-waiting,
now living, kept watch, the
Queen slept. She awoke about 2 p. m.
and asked the time. When she was
told that it was 2 o'clock, she said
quietly,. Thank God."
This is not the only time that a
Queen sought refuge in the Priory, but
that is another story.
Inside the Priory gate a small build
ing still stands. It was attached to
the Pro-Cathedral and originally open
ed into it. Here the Sisters and girls
of St. Andrew's Priory sat during the
services, not seen by the congregation
but themselves able to see the clergy
man and choir. It has been used for
seven years as an office- for Miss Tag
gart, treasurer of the Priory.
Services were held in the Pro-Cathedral
until Christmas, 1886, when the
choir of the Cathedral was ready for
occupancy, and the old building was
given over for general parochial use,
including the Sunday School.
The falu-stool, the leetern, font and
altar-cross now in the Cathedral were
all used in the old building until they
were moved into the new stone struc
ture in 1886. So were the altar cloths
which Queen Emma brought from
England. These are now used in the
side Chapel of 4the Cathedral.
A portion of the Pro-Cathedral was
used for school purposes from time to
time. Here a clergyman had a school
for white boys. Here St. Peter 's Chi
nese school was started.
When Bishop Willis left, what re
mained of Iolani school was gathered
together by Bishop Nichols in April,
1902, and put under the charge of the
Rev. Frank Fitz, until the new Bishop
should come, and it was given a place
in the Pro-Cathedral, where it remain
ed until Bishop Restarick purchased
the old Armstrong house in 1905.
The old building had many associa
tions for the Churchmen of Honolulu.
Some men of family tell how they
used, when small, to watch the rats
run across the timbers of the roof, a
diversion that formed a relief from
the tediousness of the sermon. Here
were married many who are now ia
middle life and older. From it many
were taken to their last resting place.
But like other tnings wnien nave naa
their day, it is gone. Its site has al
readv been planted to grass, and the
rising generation will soon forget that
the old building stood tnere ior iorty
tViTfo Years, serving varied purposes in
the life of the Church. It was one of
the articles in the agreement accepting
the gift of the Davies Memorial iansn
House that the old Pro-Cathedral was
to go, and it has gone.
Rnkaffuchi. a weak-minded Japanese
was found dead on the 'track of the
Oahn railwav company Thursday even
ing. His head was severed from his
body, and he had evidently been run
nvpr bv the train. Acordinsr to in-
fnrmatinn received, it seems that the
. , -
' man must have gone to sleep witn ma
neaa vu. iuc u
CHARLES E HITCHCOGK UiD.;
Published and For Sale by
THE HAWAIIAN GAZETTE COMPANY, LIMITED.
65 King Street.
and sold in book shops generally. y"
Postage, 25c extra.