Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Evening times-Republican. [volume] (Marshalltown, Iowa) 1890-1923
Marshalltown, Iowa (1890-1923)
- Evening times-Republican. [volume] : (Marshalltown, Iowa) 1890-1923
- Alternative Titles:
- Daily times Republican
- Marshalltown times-Republican
- Place of publication:
- Marshalltown, Iowa
- Geographic coverage:
- Times-Republican Print. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 16, no. 57 (Mar. 6, 1890)-v. 49, no. 215 (Sept. 10, 1923).
- Daily (except Sunday)
- Marshalltown (Iowa)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Originally edited by: Silas C. McFarland.
- sn 85049554
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
In April 1851, Henry Anson was the first European settler to arrive in what is now Marshalltown in Marshall County, Iowa. In 1853, he named the town Marshall after a Michigan town in which he had previously lived, but the name was changed to Marshalltown in 1862 to avoid confusion with another Iowa town. The following year, Marshalltown replaced Marietta as the county seat.
Marshalltown’s Evening Times-Republican was formed from the consolidation of two early Marshalltown newspapers, the Marshall County Times and the Marshall Republican. The Marshall County Times was established in 1858 by Edwin N. Chapin and Royal H. Barnhart and published weekly. It changed hands frequently over the next ten years, eventually returning to Chapin’s ownership in 1869. A daily edition was started on April 27, 1875, and soon after this, the paper was purchased by Arthur S. Burnell. Thomas Mercer and Thomas E. McCracken founded the Marshall Republican, publishing weekly beginning on July 1, 1871. In 1875, the paper began to publish semiweekly and was soon sold to Halsey Lee Merriman. The Times and the Republican merged in 1880, when Burnell traded the Marshall County Times to Merriman in exchange for his printing business. Merriman consolidated the papers into the Weekly Times-Republican.
This new publication struggled to gain stability. In 1882, Silas C. McFarland purchased an interest in the Times-Republican. The paper became the Evening Times-Republican in 1890 and Merriman retired a year later. In 1893, McFarland was appointed postmaster and sold his share of the paper to Welker Given. McFarland bought his interest back in 1896, only to sell again three years later, when he was appointed to the United States Consul at Nottingham, England. By 1900, the Evening Times-Republican finally found stable ownership after it was purchased by David Windsor Norris Jr., Theodore Johnston, William P. Hughes, George F. Thayer, Rodney C. Wells, Frank A. Moscrip, and Harry J. Rodgers, who together formed the Times-Republican Printing Company. In 1923, the name of the paper was changed to the Marshalltown Times-Republican ,until it was shortened again to the Times-Republican in 1974.
The Times-Republican began as an eight-page paper, published daily with the exception of Sundays. By 1915, the paper was most often 12 pages per issue, but could range anywhere from 10 to 16. It usually featured state and national news on the front page, including excerpts from other Iowa newspapers and extensive coverage of Republican Party politics. The rest of the paper included local news and editorials, reports of social events, and obituaries. In its early years, the Evening Times-Republican used Associated Press material extensively, including columns on fashion, historical events, national and international news, and serialized fiction. As the paper progressed, it increased its coverage of local and state news and included fewer literary and miscellaneous pieces.
Provided by: State Historical Society of Iowa