Newspaper Page Text
METHODISE IK MONTANA.
An Historical Sketch of the Protestent 1 Missionary Pioneer. [Bv the Kev. \V. K. Kintf-l Tito Methodist Episcopal Church wax the first Protestant body to enter Mon- : tana Territory in an organized form. | The first sermon, I believe, preached in -Montana was by William James, a local 1 preacher,at Junction,inAlderGttlch below Virginia City. Madison County, in June! of 1864, who organized the first Sabbath school at the same place, with IClijali Harris as Sunday School Superintendent. He also built a little iog church here. Rev. Hugh Duncan, now pastor at Glen dale, preached in Junction July if), 1804. The history of Methodism in an organ ized form properly begins in September of 1804, when the Rev. A. M. Hough, of Lexington Avenue M. E. Church, New York City, a talented and eloquent minister, now of Los Angeles, California, was appointed superintendent of mis sions by bishop Clark. At Atchison, Kansas, he with his wife was detained on account of Indian raids. Tim coach on which lie was to have come to this Territory, was captured by the Indians and the passengers were murdered. To this devoted man and woman belong the honors of the tirst Protestant mission aries to Montana. They arrived at Virginia City, .Madison County, in September of 1804, and lie immediately entered upon the duties of a minister, by organizing a society, and building a log church on Coover Street. He built the first parsonage, going him self to the mountains, cutting and pre paring the logs for it. Here he was superbly happy, when he could sit down in his own parsonage, with a beef hide for a carpet, and muslin for window lights, and gave thanks to Almighty God for llis providential care. He remained at Virginia City two years, and in 1800 moved to Helena, where he stayed two years. In July of1808he wascoinpelled to seek a more congenial dime for his wife, who was fast losing her health. The second missionary to Montana was the Rev. William McLaughlin, who was appointed to Helena in 1805, and preached the first sermon in that city from a pile of logs, from which were erected the first church in Helena. In 1808 he was stationed at Diamond City. In 1800 , the Rev. James King was sent as the third missionary to this Territory and located at Virginia City. Here he began the building of a frame church and raised over $51,000 for its completion. For some reason or another he became discouraged and suddenly left, and has never been heard of since. A mechanic's lien sold the building, and before the money could reach Virginia City from Helena, it was bought by Bishop Tuttle, of the Protestant Episcopal Church fora small sum, and is still in use by that church. The Rev. George Comfort was the fourth missionary to Montana, and reached Virginia City, June 1, 1868, and June 10,1868, was appointed pastor of Helena and built a church at a cost of $10,730, carrying a debt of $1,000 on the church himself for some time. From Helena he went to Virginia City, and preached the tirst sermon in numerous places throughout Montana. Among them, Sheridan, Beaver Head, Madison and Bitter Root Valley, also Fish Creek, Silver Star and Upper Willow Creek. In 1870 he returned to New York, and in 1879 was again identified with the Montana work and is still here working for the Master and Presiding Elder of the Helena District. In June of 1870 the Rev. J. A. VanAuda was appointed a missionary to Montana, and in 1871 was made superintendent of the mission in which he remained until 1872, when the Roclcy Mountain Conference was formed. In the spring of 1871 the Rev. T. Hiflf came to Helena and remained until &11, when he located j I I j j at Missoula. In June, 1872, he began the ! building of the Missoula church. In J 1873, he was appointed to the Bozeman j circuit ; in 1874 he was made Presiding ! Elder of the S. E. Montana District. In j 1873, Rev. F. A. Riggin. W. W. VanOrsdel 1 and IV. C. Shippen came to the Montana Conference. In 1880 the General Con- : ference resolved the Montana Con- j ference into the Montana Mission, which held its tirst session in Virginia City July 23rd and 24th, 1880, and Rev. F. A. Biggin was appointed .Superintendent, which position he now holds. On July 21st to 23rd, 1882, the second session of the Mission was held at Bozeman. At this meeting the Montana Christian Advocate was adopted, and Rev. J. J. Garvin was fleeted editor, and issued the paper at Butte. The i paper is now published at Helena and edited by Rev. E. J. Biekeil, and issued twice a month. The Montana Mission is divided into two presiding elder districts. The Butte district is under the »Superintendence of Rev. F. A. Riggin, who is also Presiding Elder; P. O. address, Fisli Creek, M. T. The Helena District is under the Rev. George Comfort, as Presiding Elder, whose P. O. address is liozeman, M. T. The "Montana Christian Advocate" is published at Helena twice a month, by tlie Rev. E. J. Biekeil, at $1 per year. There are 29 charges; 26 ministers; 23 Church buildings, and 12 parsonages, situated as follows: Supt.[of Mission Presiding Elder Editor Advocate Helena.............. Butte................. Bozeman........... Virginia City.... Dillon................ Missoula............ Livingston.......... Walkcrville....... Centerville........ (Benda le ............ Sheridan........... Stuart............... StevensvlUe....... Snlmon City, Ida Blaekfoot. Ida. Tw in Bridges.. I Value Name of Minis. Val. of parson — Church age. Kev. F.A.Biggin P Rev. G. Comfort! Kev. E.J. Biekeil I K. E. Smith. W. E. King. G. C. Stull. Tobe supplied. W. A. Shannon. W. M. Nutting. M. J. Hall. W. J. Bennett. Hugh Duncan. To he supplied. O. Kishck " Bozm'n " ! Helena 10,000! B,nou K.,(/Armstrong G. W. Mirstzer. ' .1. P. Morris. ------....... F. G. Boy la it. Port Benton......Joel Virgus. Gallatin City..... E. X. Tower. Sailsville...........D. J. Frew. Miles City.......... S. E. Snider. White Sulphur Jacob Mills, Springs...........\V* It. Coombs. Glendive............Fred Fla with. Meadow Creek... J. D. Phinnev. Fill Brook......... II.D.Wadsworth Philllpsburg......John linking. Townsend..........WAV. Vunorsdel Sun River.........To be supplied. Billings............. Judith Basin...... •• » Flat Head Lake. " Anaconda......... Total......................... 10,000 10 , 000 ! io,(sw! 0 , 00(1 2,5()o! 4 , 000 ! 2,0001 1,000 2,000 2 , 000 ; 2 ,nnn! 4,000; 8 , 000 ! 2,800 2,000 1,800 8,000 4,000' 4,(100 1,500 1.500 1.500 2,000 2.500 1,000 1,000 1,000 S'.t2,onu: 817, «00 Total valuation of property about $109, 900. There are 875 full members; 325 pro bationers. Total menthe rsliib 1,200. There are .50 Sunday schools; 300 officers and teachers, and 1,800 scholars. Total in Sunday schools, 2,100. The church has raised during last year for churches, parsonages, support of ministers, ami for benevolent purposes, $28.400. V. E. Church South. This church was organized in the year of 1869 by Rev. E. J. Stanley, now of Stevensville, Missoula County, in this Territory, with a membership of ten persons, as follows: Thompson Kem per, Lucy Ann Kemper, John Delany, Mrs. John Delaney, J. W. Kemper, Mrs. Daniel S. Griffith, Airs. George Noyes, Mrs. William* Thompson, Airs. McDon ald and Simeon V. Kemper. Services were held for several years in the old school house that stood on the present site of the Central School. Rev. »Stanley remained in charge for about one year, during which time the membership in creased considerably. Upon his remov al to Stevensville the society was with out a minister, and services were irregu larly held in various halls, the pulpit be ing filled by the Presiding Elder of this Conference and visiting clergymen, the Rev. Stanley paying several visits eaeh year to the church he founded. This condition of affairs continued until last year, when the Rev. J. B. Whit ford be came the resident minister, and imme diately began agitating the subject of building a church. The project assumed definite, form in September last. A lot was purchased on the corner of Idaho and Galena Streets at a cost of $500 and tlie erection of a church building com menced, which is now well tinder way, and will be completed early in the new year. Tlie church is 26x25 feet, with high basement for class rooms, atul will cost when finished and furnished about $4,600. The present membership is about twenty-five. Board of Trustees are J. R. Boyce, Jr., G. W. L. Cox, J. W. Kemper, A. 11. Barrett and S. V, Kemper. .Stewards: S. Y. Kemper, G. W. L. Cox and J. W. Kemper. Pastor: Rev. J. B. Whitford, The Methodist Episcopal Church. Tlie history of Methodism in Butte begins in 1875, when the Rev. Hugh Duncan was appointed pastor and served the church one year, when tlie Rev. W. C. Shippen was appointed to this charge and served the church until 1877, when the Rev. F. A. Riggin was appointed its pastor. In 1878 lie began the building of what is known as the Mountain View Alethodist Episcopal Church of Butte, Alontana. Lots were secured at the cor ner of Montana and Quartz streets, and the building was inclosed. In 1880 the Rev. Air. Riggin was appointed Superin tendent of tlie Alontana Afission, and tlie Rev. J. J. Garvin received the ap pointment as pastor of Butte. He fin M. E. CHURCH, ished the church with the exception of tlie class rooms, and built a parsonage and barn. In 1882 he began the publi cation of a paper called "Kind Words in Alontana." In 1882 it was merged into "Tlie Alontaua Christian Advocate." In 1883 lie was apjiointed pastor of Helena, and the Rev. S. E. Winger succeeded him as pastor but he did not remain long as other matters culled him East and the Rev. G. C. Stull was appointed in ids place and remained until 1884 when the Rev. J. B. Ohynoetli was appointed to the Butte Church. In Alarch, 1885, lie was compelled to leave on account of his wife's health and the Rev. W. A. Shan non was appointed to fill out the year. In July of 1885, the Rev. W. E. King was appointed as pastor of Butte. Aug ust 17th, 1885, the church was closed for repairs. It was painted inside and out, the brick work was painted and pen ciled, and the inside finished off and cal cimined, and the interior woodwork grained. Up to this time the total cost of the church property has been over $15,000. Water was also brought into the parsonage. September 13th, 1885, the Rev. T. C. IlifF, of Salt Lake City, came up and reopened the church. This is now one of the finest churches in the Territory. It is situated in a commanding position so that it can be seen from almost all portions of the city. One of the attractive features of its location is that it is near the great electric light on the Court- House, which makes the tagbt. almost as light asday. Services every Sabbath at 11 o'clock, a. in. and 7:80p. in. Prayer meetingevery Thursday evening at 7:30. Strangers and all others are cordially invited to all these services. The present member ship is 110. The Rev. W. E. King is pastor. Tlie Sabbath school is in a flourishing condition and accomplishing much good work. The average attendance of schol lars is one hundred and sixty-five and they are instructed by n corps of twelve regular teachers and eight officers. The school has a fine library in connection, consisting of upwards of three hundred well selected volumes. St. John's Episcopal Church. The first services of this mission were held October 20th. 1875, in tlie new store of Foster & Ray, The Right Rev. D. S. Tuttle preaching the sermon und Rev. AI. N. Gilbert rendering the ser vice. From that time on until the fol lowing July tlie Rev. M. N. Gilbert held occasional services. On Thursday, July flth, 1876, Bishop Tuttle again vis ited Butte and appointed a missionary committee consisting of Charles Alur phy, John Noyes, Richurd E. Jones, A. M. Essler and T. C. Miles. On July 8th, 1877, Bishop Tuttle again visited Butte and confirmed nine persons. Tlie Rev. M. N. Gilbert continued in charge of the mission until Alay 18th, 1878, divid ing his time between Butte, Deer Lodge and other pluces. On September 1st, 1879, the Rev. C. O. Tillotson arrived and took charge of tlie mission. He con tinued in charge till November 20th, 1882, when lie resigned. His time was also but partially devoted to Butte. Alarch 1st, 1883, the Rev. S. C. Blackis ton accepted the rectorship, and is still in charge. Until July, 1885, he was able to hold service on but three Sundays in a month. Since that time the mission lius had tlie benefit of his entire ser vices. At liis first service in the church about 100' people were present. The attendance since has been good, with an increasing average. The present com mittee is composed of Frederick Gilbert, John Noyes, W. AI. Jack, R. It. Hoge, J. A. AIoss, S. R. Knight, and O. S. Til ton ; S. R. Knight being treasurer. Until November 13tli. 1881, the services were held in different rooms in town. On that day services were held for the first time in a church building built for the purpose, but which was in an un finished condition. In June 1881, ground was broken Ihr the church and on July 8th, 188®,. the-, corner-stone was laid by the Right Rev.. L. It. Brewer, Bishop of Montana, assisted by the Rev. H. C. Hutchins, of" Deer Lodge, and the Rev. C. O. Tillot son, the Rector. At the first service in the new church the Right Rev. D. 8. Tuttle, Bishop of Utah and Idaho,, preached the sermon. The church building is of granite in the pttre gothic style of architecture, from: plans prepared by Condon W. Loyd,, architect, of Detroit, Afichigan. The' cost was about $15,000. The chancel window was presented by W. A. Clark, Esq., in memory of his daughter, Jessie, who died in infancy. It was imported from Germany at a cost of $1,000 and ist one of the most beautiftil and artistic chancel windows in the United States. The church has a seating capacity of about four hundred. With the excep tion of $3,o00 donated from the general fund of the church the entire cost of the church was contributed by the men and women of Butte. At the completion of the church there remained a debt of $5,000, which has since been liqui daetd. During the present season a commodious and convenient rec tory has been built adjoining the church on the south at a cost of $3,000, the money for which was borrowed from the Church Building and Loan Association, of New York, at 6 per cent, interest. At the time of writing this the ladies of the church, are preparing for a fair to par tially liquidate this debt. The mints -