About Columbia democrat and star of the north. [volume] (Bloomsburg, Pa.) 1866-1867
Bloomsburg, Pa. (1866-1867)
- Columbia democrat and star of the north. [volume] : (Bloomsburg, Pa.) 1866-1867
- Alternative Titles:
- Democrat and star
- Place of publication:
- Bloomsburg, Pa.
- Geographic coverage:
- W.H. Jacoby and E.R. Ikeler
- Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1867.
- New ser. v. 1, no. 1 (Feb. 28, 1866)- = old ser. v. 30-
- Bloomsburg (Pa.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Continued by: Bloomsburg democrat. Cf. Beers, J.H.
- Published every Wednesday.
- sn 85054828
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Star of the North, Columbia Democrat and Star of the North, Bloomsburg Democrat
On January 30, 1849, Reuben W. Weaver and Benjamin S. Gilmore established a new weekly newspaper in Bloomsburg, Columbia County, Pennsylvania, called the Star of the North. In its first issue a prospectus stated that the newspaper was to include essays on moral, historical, and scientific subjects. Most importantly, it affirmed that
[i]n politics the ‘Star of the North’ will be thoroughly Democratic. It will be devoted to the principles of which Jefferson was the founder, and Jackson, Polk and [Francis R]. Shunk, [a former governor of Pennsylvania] the defenders; and will sustain the usages under which they acquired and exercised their offices. It will be controlled by no faction–but in an Independent and Fearless manner will always advocate the doctrine of Equal Rights to all---special privileges and favors to none. Its motto will be, ‘Truth and Right---God and our Country.
Coverage was to include congressional and legislative news, county events, and the full proceedings of the county courts.
Gilmore’s final issue with the paper was August 1, 1850, and Weaver, who was well-respected in the community, continued as editor until his death from consumption at age 32 on December 2, 1857. Weaver’s wife took over for a short time, but sold the newspaper to Business Manager Williamson H. Jacoby, who assumed the editorship on January 13, 1858. Jacoby was also a zealous Democrat and vowed to maintain the Star’s political character and devotion to sound democratic principles. He served as editor until October of 1862 when he discontinued the newspaper after being drafted into the United States Army. Jacoby had vowed to resume publishing upon his return, and the paper began again with the August 19, 1863 issue.
After 17 years, the final issue of the Star of the North was published on February 21, 1866. The following week the newspaper merged with the other Democratic paper in Columbia County, the Columbia Democrat and Bloomsburg General Advertiser under its new owner Elijah R. Ikeler, to form the Columbia Democrat and Star of the North. The two editors had decided that it was in their own best economic interests as well as that of the Democratic Party that they merge. Although still espousing Democratic views, Jacoby wanted a newspaper that would be more readable and have more life, originality, and local and general news.
The two editors worked together until September 26, 1866, and the following week Josiah P. Shuman replaced Ikeler and joined Jacoby, remaining with the paper until February 20, 1867. Jacoby became the sole editor once more and on February 27 made the final title change for the newspaper. It was commonly called the Bloomsburg Democrat, although the official title was the Bloomsburg Star and Democrat, keeping the names of the two historic Democratic papers in the community. This remained the title until the final issue appeared on December 30, 1868, completing a nearly 20-year run. Deciding that he needed some rest, four days before Jacoby had sold the Bloomsburg Democrat to Captain Charles Brockway, owner of the Columbian, who merged it into his newspaper.
Provided by: Penn State University Libraries; University Park, PA