Newspaper Page Text
pert. The inks are not only equal in excellence to the best Eastern produc tions, but are better adapted to the climate of California than any others. The mill and grinding plant is es pecially complete. The ink when brought into the department is of the consistency of putty, and is then ground to the required degree of fine ness. It is then put into kegs, cans and tubes of various sizes. Both black and colored inks in vast variety are manufactured. A specialty also is the manufacture of fine printers' rollers, all of which are warranted as the best in the market. That the firm does an extensive business was evi denced some months ago, when the plant was considerably enlarged. As an industrial factor of San Francisco the California Ink Company is quite important. H. C. ELLIS & CO. Oldest Hay, Grain and Feed Concern in San Francisco. In ISSI, when the water front of San Francisco was a network of piling, with plank walks often wide enough apart to enable wayfarers to take an involuntary plunge in the bay, there was established the wholesale commis sion, hay, grain and feed firm of Dut ton & Co. As the city grew, so did the business of the firm, In Septem ber, 1596, the interest of Mr. Dutton was purchased by H. C. Ellis, son of ex-Chief of Police Ellis of this city. Mr. Ellis has conducted his busi ness at 105-107 tfteuart street with marked success, as his large trade, which extends all along the coast to Central America and Hawaii, amply proves. Mr. Ellis is one of the most popular men on the water front, and certainly there is none more industrious. His warehouse extends from Steuart to East streets, and aside from its exten siveness its location is unsurpassed. The firm carries in stock cereals of all kinds, including oats, barley, wheat, etc. In direct communication with the leading agriculturists of California at all times, Mr. Ellis is enabled to serve orders with the greatest facility and to the entire satisfaction of patrons. Aside from his heavy local business Mr. Ellis carries on a large outside trade, he being one of the heaviest hay and grain shippers in the city. His business methods have been such as to give him a high reputation for honesty and integrity. Mr. Ellis is a member of many of the best fraternal orders, and he has been repeatedly* honored with olfices of trust. In these circles as well as is: the business community his standing is of the very best. Mack & Co., Druggists. Chief among the wholesale drug houses of San Francisco must be classed the firm of Mack & Co., which now occupies its handsome new build rhg at 13 and 15 Fremont street. Estab lished in 1880 in an humble way at 9 First street by the members of the firm who had for years been retail drug gists at Visalia, the affairs of the con cern have prospered until now its busi ness equals in extent and importance that of any similar firm in the city. The firm is composed of A. Mack, F. S. Kellogg and L. Guggenhlme, all men of marked executive capacity. It is the only drug firm in the city which owns its own building and which was con structed expressly with a view to con venience in handling goods and execut ing orders. The building is five stories in height, each floor being superbly equipped for the business. The firm carries one of the most extensive stocks on the coast, including every known drug, chemical, patent medicines, sponges and druggists' sundries. The reliability" of Mack & Co., as well as its popularity, is evidenced by a business which extends to every part of the Pa cific Coast. WELL-KNOWN CONCERN. Ship Chandlery Firm of Madi son, Bruce & Sellers. Among the responsible shipchandlery firms doing business in San Francisco none ranks higher than that of Madi son, Bruce & Sellers of 34 and 36 Steuart street. The business was started In January, 1897, having succeeded Bruce, Bowne & Co., formerly Wright, Bowne & Co., who started in the ship chand lery business in 1856. The firm carries one of the largest ship chandlery stocks on the coast, and is able to supply the wants of any vessel at short notice. Naval stores in vast variety are kept on hand constantly, a specialty being made of New Bedford hemp and Manilla cordage. The firm is sole agent for A. L. Munson & Co.'s paints and for Pierces whaling guns and lances. The individual members of the firm are popular gentlemen, and in consequence their store rooms are made the headquarters of ship masters and others connected with shipping while in port. The trade of the firm in consequence has grown to vast pro portions. GEO. H. FULLER DESK CO. Leading Dealers in Office Fur niture on the Coast. The George H. Fuller Desk Company is the only house on the Pacific Coast whose trade is confined exclusively to the manufacture and sale of office fur niture of every description. The busi ness of the firm was established eight een years ago, and for the greater por tion of that time the manufactory and In Business Since 1872. CLAUS HADLER (EUREKA CORNER) Representative Firm. GROCERIES AND PROVISIONS AND General Merchandise The Finest Brands of Wines, Liquors and Cigar*. REDWOOD CITY. CAL. ""* a "*-*"s ars HUGHES HOTEL ____,__* *vr___u_u 1 Appointed and Liberally Fresno, Cal. A Managed Hotel fa the FRED~ioDD di 4k San Joaquin Valley. ±- -tcHiU IjO_D_D. .*fc\?i i &i\\ Proprietor. ' * * * . * _J^Sti „. _. offices have been located at 638 and C4O Mission street. The home of the firm is a four story building with base ment, fully equipped with the latest and best machinery* and appliances pe culiar to the business. While the firm confines its manufac ture almost entirely to order, it never theless carries a stock of office furni ture second to none on the coast. These include all kinds of desks, principally the famous roller top, bookcases, re volving chairs and bookcases in vast variety. The assortment of filing de vices for lawyers and mercantile men is especially complete. The firm also does a large business in the manufac ture and sale of bank, lodge and church furniture, in which department it has no rivals in the city. HENRY. B. RUSS. Manager of the Russ Estate and Olympic Club Official. Henry B. Russ, the manager of the Russ estate and treasurer for nineteen years of the Olympic Club, is one of the best-known citizens of San Fran cisco. Mr. Russ came to California with his parents in 1847 when a child, and received his early education in the pioneer schools. When a young mar. of about 18 he entered upon a mercan tile career by accepting a position in the old importing house of Mebius Duisenberg. Mr. Russ was married in IStjo, and three years later made an ex tensive tour of Europe. After his re turn he began his administration of the Russ estate, of which the famous Russ House, on Montgomery street, is a pari In addition to holding an important office in the Olympic Club Mr. Russ is a member of the Society of California Pioneeers. Mr. Russ is a lover of hon est sports, and as a billiard player he is regarded as one of the best amateurs on the coast. He Is very popular in business and social circles. Pacific Boiler Compound. The importance of keeping boilers in good condition is as apparent to the public as it is to the engineer in charge. In order to prevent the ac cumulation of scale the use of a vege table boiler compound is an absolute necessity. This preparation is now in the market, and is known as the Pa cific Boiler Compound, of which J. <". Ward, at 218 California street, are the agents. The compound is used by such firms as the Union Iron Works, Selby Smelting Works. Marysville Woolen Mills, and. in fact, all the lead ing manufacturing firms on the Pa cific Coast. The compound is an extract made from oak tanbark, oak and redwood, the valuable properties of which have, long been known to engineers. A very small quantity of it dissolved in water and put into a boiler through the feed water heater will remove all scale and prevent new from forming. It is the only compound in the market on which a guarantee is given. If it fails to do what is claimed for it no payment is required. It is the best In the market. Chrestoffersen & Tway. There are few* better known firms connected with the shipping interests of San Francisco than Chrestoffersen & Tway, the shipsmiths on Bryant street, between Spear and Main streets. The firm, which has been engaged in business here for fifteen years. Is com posed of Anthony Chrestoffersen and Ephraim F. Tway, both shipsmiths of vast experience. The fact that all work undertaken by them is executed with neatness and dispatch has been instrumental in building up for them a very extensive trade. The firm does everything in the ship smith line, including the manufacture of anchor tripping hooks, timber hooks, cargo hooks, heavy and light fishhooks, swivels of all kinds, steam light hang ers,' light and heavy forgings, patent travelers, heavy shackles and heavy claws. Estimates on all kinds of work are cheerfully given by the firm. Messrs. Carroll & Tilton. Chief among the dealers in gentle men's and boys' clothing in San Fran cisco is the reliable firm of Carroll & niton at ill Market street. This con cern has been engaged in this branch if trade for many years and its repu tation in mercantile circles and with the general public is the best. The firm is composed of W. H. Tilton and James Carroll. In addition to the handling of cloth ing the firm carries a splendid stock of furnishing goods, hats, caps, trunks and valises. The equipment of the store is of a superior quality and the staff of courteous attendants insures prompt and satisfactory service. The firm enjoys a large and profitable trade, due in a great measure to the wise and. - conservative methods of the management. Troy Laundry Machinery Co. The outfitting of laundries with ma chinery and supplies is a business of importance to San Francisco. In this branch of trade the Troy Laundry Ma chinery Company (Limited) of 581 and 583 Mission street has possessed the field here for ten years. The company has offices in Chicago, Troy, New York, London, Paris and Berlin. It manufactures all kinds of laundry ma chinery and laundry supplies. W. E. Cumback is the manager. George W. Caswell & Co. The firm of George W. Caswell & Co.. importers of teas, coffees, spices and olive oils at 415 Sacramento street, is one of the most responsible concerns in this branch of trade in the city. Es tablished many years ago, it does a business which extends all over the Pacific Coast. The members of the firm, George W. Caswell and Gustave H. de Mamiel, are men of Integrity, whose reputation in business circles is irreproachable. THE SAX FRANCISCO CALL, SUNDAY, DECEMBER 19, 1897. SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY ROAD History of the Construc tion of the Compet ing Line. Its Operation Gives New Life to the Valley Towns. Brilliant Achievements of the Enter prising Projectors of the New Railway. The history of the San Francisco and San Joaquin Valley Railroad is a rec ord of unexampled perseverance, pluck, energy and enterprise. It is no longer an experiment in the way of develop ing the resources of the interior, but a decided factor in the progress of the cities and counties through which it passes. Competing as it does with one of the greatest railway corporations of the age, which had for years held the commerce of California at its mercy. the Valley Road has succeeded in fore- Ing freight rates to a level which now permits the grower to reap some of the profits to which his toil is entitled. The construction of the road was of vast benefit to the mercantile interests of the State, and in years to come, bring ing with it the extension of its lines to all the fruitful spots in California, the people of the State will have reason to revere the memory of the promoters of one of the greatest enterprises of the decade. The preliminary work which ended in the building of the Valley Railroad began in 1892, when the Traffic Asso ciation at a meeting held on October 26 decided that a competing road in Cali fornia was a decided necessity in order to preserve the independence of com merce. Tin* executive committee in its report called attention to the attitude of th*- Southern Pacific toward the people of California, saying •that it took pains to punish those unfriendly to it, and to coerce those independent of it. But few merchants in San Fran cisco had either the independence or the means to set it at defiance; the rest were humbled, humiliated and terrorized." The sentiment of the people through out the State was in favor of a compet ing railroad, and scarcely had the mat ter been broached when it was taken up by the leading business man as well as the humblest agriculturist with en thusiasm. In 1893 a committee of the Traffic Association visited Stockton, Fresno, Merced, Berenda, Madera, Mo desto, Tulare, Hanford, Visalia and Bakersfield and sounded the citi zens of those cities upon the ques tion of a competing line. The response was so universally In favor of the project that in June, 1893, a committee consisting of Alvinza Hay ward, Barry Baldwin, Isaac I'pham, John T. Doyle, F. W. Van Slcklen, Robert Watt. Charles M. Yates, Frank Dalton and J. S. Leeds was appointed to solicit subscriptions for the pro posed railway through the San Joaquin Valley. In San Francisco, however, there pre vailed a luke-warm spirit among the merchants relative to the affair. The executive committee appointed early in the fray to raise $350,000 in order to be gin operations on the road from Stock ton to Bakersfield was unable to raise half that sum up to January 17, 1895. On that day a meeting, attended by the representative men of the city, includ ing every business man of wealth and reputation, was held at the Chamber of Commerce. A number of speeches were made, in which attention was called to the difficulties that blocked the path of the enterprise. Claus Spreckels, who was present, listened to the addresses calmly, and, after one speaker had alluded to the matter of raising $350,000 and pointed out that little could be accomplished with that sum, he arose and said: "Make the fund you propose to raise $3,000,000 and I will put my name down for $50,000." This had a magical effect upon the meeting, and before adjournment a committee of twelve was appointed to solicit subscriptions. These gentlemen were: Claus Spreckels, James D. Phe ian, O. D. Baldwin, Daniel Meyer, W. F. Whittier, Albert Miller, John T. Doyle, E. F. Preston, Charles Hol brook, Thomas Magee, James L. Flood and Alexander Boyd. Mr. Spreckels was elected chairman and E. F. Pres ton secretary of the committee. As evidencing their faith in the new project, the leading business men came forward with handsome subscriptions. Claus Spreckels gave $500,000, his son John D. Spreckels entered his name for $100,900 and another $100,000 for his brother, Adolph B. Spreckels. Alvinza Hayward and W. F. Whittier dropped into line for $50,000 apiece, Adam Grant $25,000, Daniel Meyer $25,000, A. Borel $25,000. The first day's subscription to the road aggregated $1,025,000. The $2,000,000 mark was passed on February 8, 1*95. the subscriptions amounting to $2,057,000. This sum being required to enable the incorporation of the concern, the necessary papers were drawn up and filed on February 25, after having received the indorsement of the stock holders. The election of a board of di rectors at the meeting held on the fol lowing day resulted In the following choice: Claus Spreckels, president; W. F. Whittier, first vice-president; Robert Watt, second vice-president; John D. Spreckels, J. B. Stetson, Charles Hol brook, Leon Sloss, Alvinza Hayward, Isaac Upham, A. H. Payson, Thomas Magee, E. F. Preston. At a special meeting of the board on March 6 W. B. Storey Jr. was elected chief engineer. The board now began the active discussion of the various routes submitted by Interested parties. The canvassing for subscriptions at in terior points was energetically pushed. In order to secure the road Stockton had raised $125,000. A bill granting terminal facilities in San Francisco to the road was passed by the Legislature on March 11. On the day the bill passed the board of directors sent out the first invitation for bids on a lot of 10,000 tons of steel rails. This marked the beginning of construction work on the line. On April 16 a committee on prelim inary survey was appointed by the directors, made up of the following named gentlemen: Robert" Watt, Charles Holbrook, Thomas Magee. On the same day the first purchase of material, consisting of 2000 tons of 62%-pound steel rails, was made by telegram at New York. On May 22 a contract for three engines for construc tion work was entered into. On the 28th the China Basin lease, after considera ble discussion, was formally accepted by the directors. On July 9 contracts were let for the grading of the road through Stockton and for all bridges to the Stanislaus River. Condemna tion suits for the rights of way to thai river were then begun. The inaugura tion of the San Francisco and San Joa quin Valley road was now an indispu table fact. The operation of the ' road from Stockton to Fresno began during the fall of 1896 with running of freight trains, and. the passenger service be gan in the winter. This event was pub licly celebrated at Stockton in the pres ence of thousands of people. The open ing of the spring of 1897 marked the commencement of the work of extend ing the line south from Fresno to Han ford and Visalia. The opening of traf fic to Hanford was celebrated in that city on May 22, although the regular train service was not inaugurated un til June 2. The road to Visalia was opened on September 9 with an ex cursion and celebration, in which thou sands participated. The distance from Fresno to Hanford is thirty miles, from Fresno to Visalia forty-six and a half miles and from Stockton to Fresno 125 miles. On the line of the road a num ber of bridges have been built across Kings River, and on the line to Visa lia St. Johns River has also been bridged. Construction was continued southward to Bakersfield, a distance of forty miles, and the track laid to that point. The road, however, has only been opened for traffic as far as An gela, a distance of twenty-six miles south of Fresno. The grading forces are now crossing Kern County, and it is expected to have the line completed to Bakersfield by next March. This will require the construction of a bridge across the Kern River. It is also intended to take up the line from Visalia to Tulare, to join the line mentioned at a point west of Tulare Lake, as soon as the forces can be spared from the Bakersfield end. The distance of this extension will be about twenty miles. The company has made surveys over the country extending from Stockton to San Francisco, and has definitely decided on a terminal on the bay of San Francisco at Point Richmond, sit uated 7 7-10 miles from the foot of Market street. The line has been lo cated for a distance of twenty- five miles from this terminal toward Stockton, and rights of way for a part of this distance have been secured. The surveys are still in progress, but the line is not definitely determined as yet coming west from Stockton. Work has. however, been begun on the approaches to a long tunnel 5700 feet in length through a spur of the Coast Range. In addition to the work alluded to improvements have been carried on on the line already built be tween Stockton and Fresno in the way of depots, section houses, roundhouses and all the necessary construction per taining to railroads has been done. Brick depots have been erected at Hanford and Visalia, and a brick roundhouse has been built at Fresno. The equipment of the road has been largely augmented. The company now operates 250 flatcars, 100 boxcars. 100 stockcars and 10 locomotives. Within the next six weeks the company will have added to its equipment 100 more boxcars and four engines. The benefits derived by the residents of the San Joaquin Valley from the construction of the road are manifest ing themselves daily. Over twenty warehouses for the storage of grain re cently erected now line the route be tween Stockton and Fresno. The peo ple throughout the valley are grateful to the management of the road for the material advancement their projects have made during the past twelve months. Not only have their freight rates been reduced by reason of the railway competition, but their treat ment at the hands of the Southern Pa cific has been greatly improved. The enterprising cities of Fresno, Han ford, Visalia and the towns in the in terior are enjoying in consequence a new lease of life. That the condition of business in the San Joaquin Valley is bound to improve under the new order of things is self-evident. The thralldom of the people of the valley is at an end— the era of a new existence has dawned. Attorney Andrew Garret Park. Andrew Garret Park, the prominent attorney of Hanford, is a native of Georgia. He resided in Tennessee from 1868 to 1886, where he espoused the cause of Alph Taylor before the Repub lican convention in that State for the ANDREW GARRET PARK* guberpatorial nomination, resulting in the famous campaign of the Taylor brothers for that office. He has a large probate practice and is attorney for some of the important suits over water rights, as well as for two of the largest reclamation districts already formed and two others in pro cess of organization. He has secured certificates of filing for j parties representing over 30,000 acres of land formed by the recession of Tulare Lake. Mr. Park was one of the first and most energetic members of the com mittee that worked and secured an en trance for the San Francisco and San Joaquin Valley road into Hanford. He is a member in good standing with the Knights of Pythias and the A. O. U. W. He Is married and has six lovely chil dren. _ — '" "** ' E. E. Bush. Among the prominent real estate dealers of Tulare county, and more par ticularly of the Lucerne Valley, is Mr. E. E. Bush of Hanford, who has been identified with the interests of that dis trict almost from the commencement of its history. Being a practical vineyardlst and the manager of several companies connect ed with the raisin industry of the val ley, his experience enables him to judge correctly as to the adaptability of land for any purpose desired. He has lo cated a large number of settlers in Lu cerne Valley, and the purchases effect ed through his agency have proved in the highest degree satisfactory. As the manager of incorporated vine yard companies, composed largely of San Francisco capitalists and business men, the vineyards under his control have not only thrived, but have proved financially successful, and reflect great credit on his sagacity and business in tegrity. He has land for sale In all the best portions of the Lucerne Valley, and is always ready to answer in quiries by mail or otherwise. He is also prominent as an insurance agent, representing only first class companies, and also negotiates loans on real estate with some of the leading houses of San Francisco. He is affable and courteous, aUVays ready to show land, and acting in the best interests both for sellers and purchasers of real estate. The success which he has achieved in the past is the best index of his future prosperity. Fresno's Leading Newspaper The Fresno Republican was startea in September, 1876, by Dr. . Chester Rowell, one of Its present owners. The Republican party was at that time hopelessly in the minority, and the paper was only made attractive to members of the dominant party by se curing the news at any cost, and plac ing it before the public in an attractive manner. In 1887 the publication of a daily was commenced. The policy introduced at the inception of the enterprise of keep ing the paper in the lead has been strictly adhered to, and it is now the most prominent publication in the San Joaquin Valley. The full telegraphic service of the Associated Press is taken, and the Republican has its own wire and operator. The carrier system is the most ex tensive in the State, in proportion to population of the territory served. Car riers cover a territory sixteen by twen ty-four miles, and deliver the papers, except at the most distant points, by 7 a. m. In 1--.91 the Fresno Republican Pub lishing Company was incorporated. The officers are: Chester Rowell, presi dent: F. K. Prescott, vice president: William Glass, secretary; J. W. Short, editor and manager. Fresno National Bank. The Fresno National Bank is one of the architectural ornaments of Fresno city and a popular office building for attorneys and corporations. The bank's history is typical of the development of the county and progress of the val ley". Commencing with a capital stock of $100,000, it has increased its paid up capital and surplus to $220,000. ' With its deposits of half a million and its rapidly increasing business, it stands as one of the strongest institutions in the San Joaquin Valley. Its officers are men of vast business experience and sound financial judgment: Pres ident, John McMuilin; cashier, C. A. Tel fer, and assistant cashier, A. A. Smith. * Stanton L. Carter. Stanton L. Carter, ex-Judge of the Superior Court of San Joaquin County, is a resident and one of the leading barristers of Fresno. In connection with his change of residence, a story is told by his friends who value the Judge's opinions in land title litiga tions, that he settled all agrarian con troversies in San Joaquin and he had to reach out into a wider field. As a matter of fact the enormous Increase of value in Fresno County within the past few years has called for the ser vices of a man particularly adapted to land title litigation, as much careless ness was the rule in transfers years ago, when the properties were low in value and not yet in proper business hands as they are now. Unquestion ably, therefore, part of the story as told carries weight. Stanton L. Carter was born in New York in 1853 and came to California with his family when only 9 years old, his father settling as a farmer east of Stockton. In the latter city he read law and was admitted to practice in 1876. He was appointed to succeed Su perior Judge Holmes upon the latter's death, in December, 1894. At the end of the term, the Legislature having de creased the number of Superior Judges, Judge Carter retired. Prior to October, 1579, City Attorney Patterson died, and Stanton L. Carter assumed the office, being twice re-elected to that office, in which he made an enviable record. It STANTON L. CARTER. was he who successfully fought Mc- Laughlin and the Southern Pacific in the notorious Mokelumne grant cases. His work in the Stewart estate litiga tion, involving now established ques tions in relation to the construction or wills, has made valuable legal history, just as his work in the Kearney vs. Kearney case has elucidated the ques tions as to the validity of a probate homestead. A stanch Republican in politics, he has no desire for political honors. He is wrapped up in his family of a wife, two boys and a daughter, his legal pro fession ai.d his membership in 'he Knights of Pythias. In that order he was made Grand Chancellor of this State in 1884. In 1890 he was elected one of the supreme representatives to the Kansas City session of 1892, when he was appointed on the judiciary com mittee, of which he was made chair man in Washington, a position to which he has been re-elected and still holds. In 1894, at Washington, Stanton L. Carter was made chairman of the special committee appointed to report on the "German Question" in regard to the action of the 1892 Kansas City ses sion condemning the translating of the order's ritual into German. The con demnation was approved. Frank H. Short. A sufficient reason, and there are many why Frank H. Short should be mentioned in connection with the his tory of Fresno County, is that of his now celebrated coup d'etat whereby he introduced and carried through the anti-funding resolution at the last Re publican State Convention, to which he was a delegate from Fresno. Frank H. Short bided his time and, the open ing presenting itself, he produced the surprise of the convention, the opposi tion being entirely unprepared, and he won a memorable victory for his party and the people. Attorney Frank H. Short has figured most prominently before the bar of this State, fighting his way with success in many of the most interesting legal bat tles on record. Born in Missouri in 1862, he came to California and studied FRANK H- SHORT. law In 1881. He was admitted to prac tice four years later. While studying law, and at the election where he first voted, his popularity caused his elec tion as Justice of the Peace. Among the interesting cases in which he has figured is that of J. D. Smith, whom he caused to be acquitted on a charge of having murdered Percy Wil liams, son of the late millionaire, Gen eral Thomas H. Williams. Frank H. Short assisted in the pros ecution of Richard Heath, accused of the murder of McWhirter. He defend ed Professor Saunders in the myste rious case of wealthy William Wooton, whose disappearance to this day led to the belief of murder. He was also attorney in the recent case that caused the dissolution of the Sunset Irrigation district, as well as the prosecutor in the celebrated Baird forgery cases against the Madera County Bank. This young barrister is at present at torney for the Fresno National Bank; the Fresno Canal and Irrigation Com pany', and has appeared in an average of nine cases at each recent session oi the Supreme Court. He is a stanch Republican and was a delegate to the last National Con vention. He is married and the father of a bright boy. BANK OF HANFORD. The Leading Financial Institu- tion of Kings County. Among the banking concerns which have done much to develop the Inte rior towns of California, none is de serving of greater credit than the Bank of Hanford. Although establish ed only a few years ago, on April 11, ISS7, it is to-day the leading financial institution of Kings County. It has a paid up capital stock of $154,000 and a handsome reserve fund, which speaks well for its solidity. It transacts a general banking business, and has cor respondents in the leading cities of the United States. The following prominent citizens of Kings County constitute the director ate of the bank: . J. E. Rawlins, president; S. E. Bid die, manager; J. O. Hickman, cashier; A. D. King, assistant cashier; S. C. Lil lis, T. V. Biddle and J. S. Robinson. Abstract and Record Searching. The Visalia Abstract Company, under the charge of Messrs. Jordan & Hammond, is one of the best known firms in the valley. For many years it has done almost exclusively the ab stract and title searching business of Tulare County, and its steadily increas ing business is the best indication of the satisfaction it affords the public. THE ABORN -*- l - K - •*■*- -***■ " '•f -*•*■**■*. ____. _j_______*p v__^ J__ ____ -J CORNER SEVENTH AND DOUTY STREETS, HANFORD, CAL. jl Geo. B. McCord, Proprietor. J The only First-Class House in Hanford. Newly % |. Furnished Throughout. Electric Lights and J * Bells. Artesian Baths Free for Guests. I * . * I' FREE BUS TO AND FROM HOTEL. | Hon. Jesse D. Carr. One of the best known pioneers of California is Jesse D. Carr, the well known capitalist and politic of Mon terey County. His biography is a rec ord of a busy and eventful life, full of vicissitudes which have been crowned with that success that is the certain reward of honesty, industry and perse verance. Mr. Carr is a native of Sumner Coun ty, Tennessee, where he was born June 10,' 1814. His early life was spent on a farm, but at the age of IS he went to Nashville to engage in mercantile pur suits. Subsequently he went to Mem phis, where in 1840 he erected the first brick storehouse ever constructed in that city. In 1843 he went to New Or leans and engaged in the cotton busi ness with ill success, however. During HON. JESSE D. CARR. the Mexican war he attempted to re trieve his lost fortune, only to lose $40, --000 worth of goods in a raid by Mexican troops in command of General Urrera. He returned to New Orleans after the war, and early in 1849 left for Califor nia, arriving here on August 18 of that year. He became a deputy under Mili tary Collector Harrison, which office ha held one year. He was a member of the first Legislature of this State. In 1853 he removed to Pajaro Valley and engaged in farming. For a long time he conducted a stage route and car ried the mails. Latterly, however, he has devoted himself solely to his bank ing interests in Salinas and looking after the 35.000 or more acres of fine land he owns all over the State. Al- though 83 years of age, Mr. Carr is still vigorous and a splendid example of a self-made man. DIXON L. PHILLIPS. One of the Most Prominent Members of the Kings County Bar. Chief among the attorneys who adorn the Kings County bar is Dixon L. Phil lips, one of the best-known and most highly respected lawyers of that fruit ful section of California. With head quarters at Hanford, Mr. Phillips has been identified in one way or another with nearly every civil suit for which Fresno, Tulare and Kings counties have become famous. Paying especial attention to the laws bearing on the filings and transferring of lands, he won considerable renown at a period when the rapid development of those counties and the lax methods employed in per fecting titles to property was prolific of much litigation. Mr. Phillips enjoys a very large clientele, and while his main , practice is confined to Hanford, his tal ents are brought into requisition al most as often in Fresno and Visalia as at home. Mr. Phillips is a social fa vorite, his closest friends including the most influential men of his section. a Bank of Visalia. cial institution of its kind established The Bank of Visalia is the first finan in Central California. During the quarter of a century of its existence its management has been the same. President R. E. Hyde and Cashier C. J. Giddlngs have been di recting the affairs of the corporation, with the able assistance of their fel low directors: S. C. Brown, E. O. Lar kins and W. J. Owen. The Bank of Vi salia has a paid up capital and surplus of over half a million dollars.