Newspaper Page Text
f'otttinoed from page two.
Hartwell, treasurer; C. W. Fowler, secretary; Eugene Weston. Dnring 1872 services were regular ly held once a month by Rev. Edwards. In July 1872 the * first class was confirmed by Right Rev. G. Randal, missionary bishop. During 1873 and *74 Rev. E. Green of St. Peter's church. Pueblo, held services once a month. July 1874 Rev. M. J. Sorenson, having been called, took charge of the church and thence forth until April 1870 services were regularly held until at that time he was trans ferred to Littleton, Colo. In 1875 the I>adies’ Guild was or ganized, which later became the Woman’s Auxiliary, which has been of inestimable value to the church and parish. The services of the church were at first h-ld in the Baptist church, in Murray's hall, in Bate’s hal! and at private residences and also in the present Woman’s Exchange building May 14, 1876, Rev. William Gill war appointed rector, with the immediate and epecial work of building a church. This was successfully accomplished, the corner stone being laid with ap propriate and ritual services July 31, 1876, and on January 25. 1877, it was duly consecrated in due form Rev. William Gill resigned bisreotor •hip February 11, 1877, and in March following Rev. Myriok took temporary charge, remaining until Trinity Sun day. Betw«*en then and the present time the rectors have served in O e follow ing order: R«vs. Drummond, Osten a«n. Mack, Richardson, Pattee, Gar rett, Oliver, Davidson, Sibbald. The present rector is Rev. Canon George Rogers from Manitoba. The church owns the lot corner of sth and a; scon avenue, which was bough* by Bishop Spalding for SSOO about at the esrnest recommen dation of members of the church and i presented to the parish; this is now a valuable property. In 1881* the v utry bought the lot west of the church and built on it the present rectory, the lot and building costing approximately $5,- 000. AH the church property is free from d**bt with the exception of a few hundred dollars on the rectory, which will be completely paid up during the current year through the efficient and loyal work of the Wo man's Auxiliary. There have been since the organi zation of the church 180 baptisms, and there are now over 100 commun, cants iu r gular standing. The officers of the church and auxiliary organizations at present are as follows: Rector Rev. Canon Rogers, B. A. B. D. Wardens —H. Earle, S. Andrews. Treasurer— Lyman Robison. Vestry —S. Andrews, Jas. Peabody, H. Earle, L Robison. T. Wells, T. M. Harding. Choir —Mrs. H. Earle, leader; Mr. Wilson, organist, Sunday School—S. Andrews, super intendent; T. M. Harding, secretary. Woman’s Auxiliary—Mrs. Lyman Robison, president; Mrs. H. Earle, vice-pr*eident; Mrs. T. M. Harding, treasurer; Mrs. H. Bartlett, secretary; Mrs. Weston, corresponding secre tary; Mrs. H. Earle, chairman of’ executive. Altar Guild—Mrs. T. M. Harding, Mrs. H. Bartlett, Miss L. McFarlane. Miss E. J. Carter, Miss I. Freeman. St. Mary’s branch. Junior W. A. — Miss Mable Hanbreuck, president; Miss Gardner and Miss Chapman,vice presidents; Miss Cora Peabody, sec retary; Miss Jessie Gardner,treasurer. Babies’ branch W. A.— Miss Eliza beth Earle, president. Busy Bees—Miss Jessie Gardner, president; Miss Ida Shueffer.secretary and treasurer. + + + REV. CANON ROGERS I’ASTOK CHRIST CHURCH. The present rector of Christ church is the Rev. Canon Rogers. In 1884 he took the B. A. degree from McGill University, Montreal, with honors in natural scienoe. Two years ago he took hia B. D. degree from Bt. John's College, Winnepeg. He was appoint ed the rector of St. Luke's church, Montreal, in 1884. The church is a beautiful stone gothic building, the oldest Episcopal church in the city, having a large number of families and a Sunday school of over 400 children. In 1892 he was elected superintend ent of the Arch-Diocese of Manitoba, under his grace, the Right Rev. Sir Robert Machrav, Primate of all Canada. In this Diocese, which em braces about 300 congregations, he was soon afterward appointed secre tarv of Synod, treasurer of all dioces an funds, chairman of the investment committee. Rural Dean and Canon of the Cathedral. He raised over $70,- 000 for missions and had the honor of being elected one of the two clergy who represent the Diocese in the General Synod of Canada. Rev. Rotters has been in Canon City only a short time, but has gone actively in to bis church work and is liked by all who know him. SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS. The Seventh Day Adventist* church i« one of the youngest in the city, being organized Ma*ch IC, 1898. It has but little more than reached it* second anniversary. Elder G. W. Angleharger came here in the fall of 1897, and held a series of meetings, during which time he presented among other gospel themes,the tenets of this people, on the (Saturday) Sab bath questions; the near personal ad vent of the Saviour of the world; righteousness only through Christ, etc., etc. As the result of that effort a church was organized during the following summer, which during the two years of its existence has in creased to four times its charter membership. l T nder the untiring efforts of Elder Anglebarger a neat, commodious brick structure was erected on Main street. Mr. T. F. Adams, the well known builder of this city, acting as superintendent of construction. This building was dedicated on May 14, 1899. Elder J. M. Rees, the presi dent of the Colorado Conference, de livered the dedicatory sermon. The present pastor, Eider L A. Spring, who resides at 1028 River street, has only been here since the annual State conference, held in Jan uary of tho present year, at this place, but already his labors have been blessed to the good of the church. The present officers are as follows: Elder L. A. Spring, pastor. H. F. Randolph, Ist elder. Royal Hubbell, 2nd elder. Peter Anderson, Ist deacon. T. F. Adams, 2nd deacon. Mrs. H. F. Randolph, clerk. The Babbath school —L. D. Christ enson, superintendent; T. F. Adama, assistant superintendent; Dr. Pitt A. I Wade, secretary; Royal Hubbell, ae j sistant secretary. FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIEN TIST. This church was organized in 1894 by fifteen member*. Previous to this a little band, known as a Christian Science class, met each week for the study of the Bible and “Science and Health, with Key to the Scriptures" by Rev. Mary Baker Eddy. As their numbers increased they would secure larger quarters At present they worship in the church building, cor ner Fiftn and Main streets, recently vacated by the M.- E. congregation. The attendance is about ninetv The Sunday service consists of a lesson sermon taken from the Chris tian Science Quarterly, and is read alternately by two readers, as the Bible and “Science and Health" are the only preachers in the denomina tion throughout the world. The readers in the local church are Miss Perlita Wolff and Mr. C. W. Talbot. The Wednesday evening meetings are well attended, for the people of many denominations gather to listen to the testimonials, which prove Christ’s healing to be a living factor in this age of the world, and many cases of physicial and spiritual healing equal those of the early Christians, (who healed until the third century), proving, at least to the satisfaction of those so blessed, that God is good, “the same yesterday, today and for ever." The directors of the church are Mr. G. W. Jackson, Mrs. Gertrude Srockder, Miss Minnie Shaeffer, Mr. Frank P. Smith, Mrs. Bessie B. Smith. Herbert D. Avery, treasurer; Miss Johanna Kunze, clerk. The board of trustees consists of Mr. S. S. Nichols, Mrs. Mary Putnam and Mr. Charles Heyl. Mrs. L. E. Fr»nck is superin tendent of Sunday school of fifty pu pils. The first 1» ssons taught in the pri mary classes are that God is good and ev. r present; that the fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, gentleness and faith, and that these must triumph over their opposites in order to dem nstrate Christian Science. A Per the Commandments and Be atitude* are learned, the lessons are taken from the Quarterly. In connection with this church is a Reading Room, where inquiries are always welcome. Christian Science literature is oa the table and a prac titioner is always in attendance. UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Something more than a year ago a United Presbyterian Miaaon waa or ganized over in Lincoln Park school house with Rev.J.T. Wilson in charge. On last July Rev. Wilson withdrew sad Rev. S. R. Mcl-aughlin was ap pointed by Colorado Presbytery to take up the work. They immediately rented the Adrentist church on K. Main street, where they hare been holding service each Sabbath. Last January the mission was or ganized into a full fledged congrega tion, with Messrs. L. 0. Miller, J. A. Kirkton, J. M. Cunningham and F. J. Moyle as elders: and Messrs. F. C. Wright, R. T. Adnerson and Milo Du Pee as board of trustees. They have an interesting Sabbath school with Mr. Joo. McWilliams as the efficient superintendent. Also a L. M. S„ with Mrs. S. R. MoLaugh tin, president; Mrs. S. W. Gleason, rice president; Mrs. J. M. Cunnin ham, recording secretary; Mrs. F. C. Wright, corresponding secretary; and Mrs. F. J. Moyle, treasurer. The young people have been or ganized into a Christian Union society with forty-four members, and Mr. L. 0. Miller president. They contemplate erecting a ohurch building this spring on their lots on the oorner of Ninth and River streets. The work goes forward with mnch encouragement along all lines. The church is rapidly growing in member ship. When Rev. McLaughlin took charge last July there wore eighteen names on the roll, while today the , membership numbers sisty-llve. | The United Presbyterian church is ' the youngest mission la the city, but by tbs arrival la Calloa during the part year, of a number of this faith, the church is now on s substantial basis. Its members represent pros perous people, strong in their faith, so the congregation is bound to grow. REV. S. R. MCLAUGHLIN PASTOR UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH Rev. McLaughlin was born in lowa in 1860. He attended and graduated from Washington Academy, than from Monmouth College, 111., in 1883. He went through Allagheney Theo logical Seminary, graduating in 1886. Began preaching at once. Served at Elvira, lowa, seven and a half years, at Rockv%lley, lowa, five years and spent a year as pastor of the Presby terian church at Socorro, New Mexico. The climate had something to do with bringing Rev. McLaughlin west. He begun his pastorate here in July, 1899, TRINITY LUTHERAN. The Luthern people have a very earnest little congregation. The church was organized January 1899, by Rev Buaard who has since been pastor. They meet in one of the rooms of the Harrison block, which they have fixed up into a very comfortable church room. The trustees of the church are, A. C. Jensen, 0. C. Lauck, and Mrs. Buaard, There is in con nection a very prosperous little Sun day school under the direction of 0. C. Lauck superintendent. The Christian Endeavor is growing, and doing some good work. Its president is A. C. Jensen. The mem bers of this congregation are not so numerous as some others, but they are just as earnest, and hard working in their church any congreg ation in America. YOU NO *ENS CHRISTIAN ASSOCIA TION In the fall of 1892, Mr D. C. Chap man was sent to Canon City, from Denver.by the state committee of the Young Men's Christian Association. As a result of his work, and the work of Mr. C. J. Fredrickson, the association was organized Sept., 15, 1892, with Mr. Fredrickson president of the Board of Directors, and Mr. Chapman as Ceoeral Secretary, and fifty charter members. The rooms now occupied, with the exception of the gymnasium, hare been the borne of the association from the first. D. C. Chapman remained secretary until in 1894. In 1894 Mr J. W. Rogers was elected president of the association, which position he still holds, and C. J. Fredrickson was ele cted general secretary, and retained bis position four years. During Mr. Fredrickson's secretary ship, the gymnasium, 38X44 feet was bnilt and well equipped with appara tis. Mr. E. F. Hall served as physi cal director, during the year of 1895 and 1896, and Mr. C. W. Hardy, in 1896 and 97. Mr. C. W. Hardy became general secretary in 1897, and was succeeded in March 1900 by Mr. Bevan Binford. Mr. K. W. Amick has filled the office of physical dit ecter daring the past year. The lines of work carried on for young men are physical, educational, religions and social. The gymnasium class work is continued five months during the winter season, out-door games and outings, and individual work in the gymnasium, comprise the physical work daring the summer, one tub and two shower baths are for the use of members. The educational work, has been accomplished through the reading room, practical talks and Y. M. 0. A., congress. In the reading room are ten of the leading monthly magazines fifteen weekly periodicals, twelve daily and weekly sews pa per*, repre senting the leading towns of Colo rado, and the east besides many news bulletins from other associations. Ia the library are 225 well selected vol umes. Dark* the wtater months aaaa sociation congre—, composed of twenty members met bi-weekly. Arrangements have been almost com pleted for a series of Friday evening talks to be given during the spring and summer, by the leading business and professional m* n of (lanon. The religious work centers about the gospel meeting, held each Sun day afternoon, at four o’clock. These are popular;/ nr tended by men of all classes. Ah auxdaries to this work a free social religious service is h*!d in the gymna/dum «ach Thursda evening t 7:30, and a workers train ing class composed of seven young men, meets in the committee room on Monday evening. The social features are a quarterly members meeting, in the rooms for reports of the association. Work and a social evening among the members and occasional Junior rallies and banquets, ibe social committee seeks to maintain an attractive social at mosphere in the rooms in the even ings, at which time only senior mem bers are admitted. The games of chess, checkers, and carrums and crokanole are always at hand. The association has one hundred and sixty members. Its annual expenses are two thous and dollars. ST. MICHABL,*3 CHURCH. Sooi after the arrival of the first go’d-aeekers, there were already a few Catholics in thia section of Colo rado. Up to the year of 1883 their apiritnal wanta where attended to at irregular intervals Uy missionary priests. The ohorah was organised in the year of 1883, by Father Carmody. who in the same year established his residence here. The first building used for religions services was a dwelling on Main street, on the pro perty now owned by George Baker. In 1890 the Her. Henry Egler, of happy memory began the building of the present modest, bat bsaatifal church structure at the corner of Macon and 9th St. Through the energetic work of thia prisat the con gregation had the aatisfaction to see its church completed and dedicated on the sth, of October 1891. At present the church is under the Benedictine Fathers of Pennsylvania. Although the church oould never boast of a great membership, it has always held its own, numbering now twenty-four families. Services are held every Sunday morning and even ing. The choir is ably conductec by the laser sisters. The priest in charge at present is Father P. Mar cellos, 0. S. B. ACADEMY. Thii Raster review of tho religion* influence of Cafion City would not|be complete without u mention of the Mount Bt. Scholastic*'* Academy. This is a religious educational institu tion of more than local note, and it* buildings are some of the most pro minent in the city. The Benedictine Sisters of Chicago, coming here in 1890, purchased of .lodge Macon the old Baptist Military Academy, and opened a boarding school for young ladies. For three years the academy flourished. The destruction of the building, and the difficulties attending th* erection of another, are well known to the public. In January 1897, Mt. St Scholas tica's re-opened ia the present build ing, a atructure 72 by 62 feet pos sessing all the modern improvements and convenience* To the north, some feet from he school, is a memorial chapeL th* gift of Rugene O’Reilly, of Chicago. This is the most beautiful little chape) in the state. The front porch, recently added to main building, ia a magnificent dona tion of P. J. McCormack, of Guffey. A neat little oottage for th* Rev erend Chaplain has just been com pleted in th* eouthern part of th* academy ground* Th* grounds consist of lawn* promenades, croquet and tonal* The present number of resident students is 57, and consists of young ladies from all parts of Colorado, also a few from more eastern states. Owing to the schools crowded con dition since February Ist., the sisters have been refusing admission to all applicants, and only a few day pupils have been accepted this school year. Because of the many applications for next year, a new building 96 by 74 feet, will be completed before September, 1900. The new building will be similar in style, and much larger tliaa the pre sent structure. It will be built on the west side of the present main build ing. This will contain, principally, re creation, study and entertainment halls, class rooms, dormitories and studio. The library, reception rooms refectories and music rooms alone, to remain in the old building. Mount St. Scholastica's Academy has for its object the Christian edu cation of young ladies. It is a self supporting Institution, still, each year it receives a fixed number of children who attend gratis. At present there are eighteen sisters engaged at the academy. Th‘s institution certainly has a good mission, and full fills it well. It has prospered and is growing rapidly. FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH. The Christian Church was organised May 9th 1888; with twenty nine charter members, only four of whom are now members of the congregation. Rev. Meevers was the organizer, and the first pastor. He was succeeded by Rev. J. C. Willis, The church building on the corner of Harrison Avenue, and Sixth St. was built in 1892. Rev. Leonard G. Thompson, now state evangelist for the Christian church, was pastor most of the time from 1891 to April 1896, and to him much credit is due for the building up of this congregation here. Follow* ing him as pastors, have been. Rev. Cross, Rev. P. J. Dickerson and Rev. D. W. Conner the present pastor. The elders of the church at present are; Rev. Conner, W. F. Howes, J. H. Thomas, and Geo. R. Crosby. The deacons are; H. F. Cramer, J. P. Stultz and W. H. Laizure. The Sun day school is alive and prosperous. W. F. Howes is superintendent and Geo. Whipple secretary. FREE METHODIST CHURCH. The Free Methodist people have a rery prosperous congregation in South Canon. The church building is on South Prospect up near the smelter hill. This organization has been do ing business in South Canon for sev eral years. There are twenty-nine members of the society. They have a well or ganised Sunday school with good at tendance. Isaac Hmby is superin tendent of the Sunday school. Mrs. R. Reser, Mrs. Peter Anderson and Mrs. Green are stewards of the ckureb. Rev. C. B. Langdon, a Hard working and painstaking gentleman, is pastor of the church. A revival is now in progress which is having good results. SALVATION ARMY. The Salvation Army has been in Oafioa City tor the past eight or nine yeara. Their motire and desire is to get the non-church going people, and in order to accomplish this, yon see them nightly on the street corner, holding meetings in the open-air be fore their meeting commences in their hall. They sing lively songs, potting re tigtam words to all the popelar tones and by their peculiar way, in beating drums and tambourines and etc., they are successful in attracting]the kind of people they wish. Among their ranks today are sever al! who have been converted, from lives of sin, drink and debauchery, through their efforts, who had, pre vious to their conversiod, not been in side ef any other Christian organ zation for years. They are now good citizens, having been saved for a num ber of years. The officers of the Salvation army change every four to six months, sometimes they are men, sometimes women, and occaainally a »■<< his wife are in charge, The Salvation Army is thoroughly organized, they having a treasurer, secretary, and local officers, of diffe rent kinds to fill different places. They maintain themselves by tak ing a volentary contribution at every meeting, the soldiers doing all they can to support the work. The officers give their whole time to the work, and are supported by the people, no salary gauranteed them by the salvation army, but the sol diers work daily, the same as any one else, and thus support themselves and and families. At present two women are station ed in Canon City, Captain Gregory and Cadet McDow. The work seems to be progressing, i and people are converted every wee*. SOMETHING NEW - Paints CHEAP DURABLE Easy to Use LARGE OR SMALL LOTS And Don't Forget The NEW WALL PAPER BLENDED BORDER and NEW ROOM MOULDING Peecher’s, 506 Ha in Street. JUST BELOW P. O.