f'otttinoed from page two.
Hartwell, treasurer; C. W. Fowler,
secretary; Eugene Weston.
Dnring 1872 services were regular
ly held once a month by Rev. Edwards.
In July 1872 the * first class was
confirmed by Right Rev. G. Randal,
During 1873 and *74 Rev. E. Green
of St. Peter's church. Pueblo, held
services once a month.
July 1874 Rev. M. J. Sorenson,
having been called, took charge of
the church and thence forth until
April 1870 services were regularly
held until at that time he was trans
ferred to Littleton, Colo.
In 1875 the I>adies’ Guild was or
ganized, which later became the
Woman’s Auxiliary, which has been
of inestimable value to the church
The services of the church were
at first h-ld in the Baptist church, in
Murray's hall, in Bate’s hal! and at
private residences and also in the
present Woman’s Exchange building
May 14, 1876, Rev. William Gill war
appointed rector, with the immediate
and epecial work of building a church.
This was successfully accomplished,
the corner stone being laid with ap
propriate and ritual services July 31,
1876, and on January 25. 1877, it
was duly consecrated in due form
Rev. William Gill resigned bisreotor
•hip February 11, 1877, and in March
following Rev. Myriok took temporary
charge, remaining until Trinity Sun
Betw«*en then and the present time
the rectors have served in O e follow
ing order: R«vs. Drummond, Osten
a«n. Mack, Richardson, Pattee, Gar
rett, Oliver, Davidson, Sibbald.
The present rector is Rev. Canon
George Rogers from Manitoba.
The church owns the lot corner of
sth and a; scon avenue, which was
bough* by Bishop Spalding for SSOO
about at the esrnest recommen
dation of members of the church and i
presented to the parish; this is now
a valuable property.
In 1881* the v utry bought the lot
west of the church and built on it
the present rectory, the lot and
building costing approximately $5,-
000. AH the church property is free
from d**bt with the exception of a
few hundred dollars on the rectory,
which will be completely paid up
during the current year through the
efficient and loyal work of the Wo
There have been since the organi
zation of the church 180 baptisms,
and there are now over 100 commun,
cants iu r gular standing.
The officers of the church and
auxiliary organizations at present
are as follows:
Rector Rev. Canon Rogers, B. A.
Wardens —H. Earle, S. Andrews.
Treasurer— Lyman Robison.
Vestry —S. Andrews, Jas. Peabody,
H. Earle, L Robison. T. Wells, T. M.
Choir —Mrs. H. Earle, leader; Mr.
Sunday School—S. Andrews, super
intendent; T. M. Harding, secretary.
Woman’s Auxiliary—Mrs. Lyman
Robison, president; Mrs. H. Earle,
vice-pr*eident; Mrs. T. M. Harding,
treasurer; Mrs. H. Bartlett, secretary;
Mrs. Weston, corresponding secre
tary; Mrs. H. Earle, chairman of’
Altar Guild—Mrs. T. M. Harding,
Mrs. H. Bartlett, Miss L. McFarlane.
Miss E. J. Carter, Miss I. Freeman.
St. Mary’s branch. Junior W. A. —
Miss Mable Hanbreuck, president;
Miss Gardner and Miss Chapman,vice
presidents; Miss Cora Peabody, sec
retary; Miss Jessie Gardner,treasurer.
Babies’ branch W. A.— Miss Eliza
beth Earle, president.
Busy Bees—Miss Jessie Gardner,
president; Miss Ida Shueffer.secretary
+ + +
REV. CANON ROGERS
I’ASTOK CHRIST CHURCH.
The present rector of Christ church
is the Rev. Canon Rogers. In 1884
he took the B. A. degree from McGill
University, Montreal, with honors in
natural scienoe. Two years ago he
took hia B. D. degree from Bt. John's
College, Winnepeg. He was appoint
ed the rector of St. Luke's church,
Montreal, in 1884. The church is
a beautiful stone gothic building, the
oldest Episcopal church in the city,
having a large number of families and
a Sunday school of over 400 children.
In 1892 he was elected superintend
ent of the Arch-Diocese of Manitoba,
under his grace, the Right Rev. Sir
Robert Machrav, Primate of all
Canada. In this Diocese, which em
braces about 300 congregations, he
was soon afterward appointed secre
tarv of Synod, treasurer of all dioces
an funds, chairman of the investment
committee. Rural Dean and Canon of
the Cathedral. He raised over $70,-
000 for missions and had the honor
of being elected one of the two clergy
who represent the Diocese in the
General Synod of Canada. Rev.
Rotters has been in Canon City only a
short time, but has gone actively in
to bis church work and is liked by all
who know him.
SEVENTH DAY ADVENTISTS.
The Seventh Day Adventist* church
i« one of the youngest in the city,
being organized Ma*ch IC, 1898. It
has but little more than reached it*
second anniversary. Elder G. W.
Angleharger came here in the fall of
1897, and held a series of meetings,
during which time he presented
among other gospel themes,the tenets
of this people, on the (Saturday) Sab
bath questions; the near personal ad
vent of the Saviour of the world;
righteousness only through Christ,
etc., etc. As the result of that effort
a church was organized during the
following summer, which during the
two years of its existence has in
creased to four times its charter
l T nder the untiring efforts of Elder
Anglebarger a neat, commodious
brick structure was erected on Main
street. Mr. T. F. Adams, the well
known builder of this city, acting as
superintendent of construction. This
building was dedicated on May 14,
1899. Elder J. M. Rees, the presi
dent of the Colorado Conference, de
livered the dedicatory sermon.
The present pastor, Eider L A.
Spring, who resides at 1028 River
street, has only been here since the
annual State conference, held in Jan
uary of tho present year, at this
place, but already his labors have
been blessed to the good of the
The present officers are as follows:
Elder L. A. Spring, pastor.
H. F. Randolph, Ist elder.
Royal Hubbell, 2nd elder.
Peter Anderson, Ist deacon.
T. F. Adams, 2nd deacon.
Mrs. H. F. Randolph, clerk.
The Babbath school —L. D. Christ
enson, superintendent; T. F. Adama,
assistant superintendent; Dr. Pitt A.
I Wade, secretary; Royal Hubbell, ae
j sistant secretary.
FIRST CHURCH OF CHRIST, SCIEN
This church was organized in 1894
by fifteen member*. Previous to this
a little band, known as a Christian
Science class, met each week for the
study of the Bible and “Science and
Health, with Key to the Scriptures"
by Rev. Mary Baker Eddy. As their
numbers increased they would secure
larger quarters At present they
worship in the church building, cor
ner Fiftn and Main streets, recently
vacated by the M.- E. congregation.
The attendance is about ninetv
The Sunday service consists of a
lesson sermon taken from the Chris
tian Science Quarterly, and is read
alternately by two readers, as the
Bible and “Science and Health" are
the only preachers in the denomina
tion throughout the world. The
readers in the local church are Miss
Perlita Wolff and Mr. C. W. Talbot.
The Wednesday evening meetings
are well attended, for the people of
many denominations gather to listen
to the testimonials, which prove
Christ’s healing to be a living factor
in this age of the world, and many
cases of physicial and spiritual healing
equal those of the early Christians,
(who healed until the third century),
proving, at least to the satisfaction
of those so blessed, that God is good,
“the same yesterday, today and for
The directors of the church are
Mr. G. W. Jackson, Mrs. Gertrude
Srockder, Miss Minnie Shaeffer, Mr.
Frank P. Smith, Mrs. Bessie B. Smith.
Herbert D. Avery, treasurer; Miss
Johanna Kunze, clerk. The board of
trustees consists of Mr. S. S. Nichols,
Mrs. Mary Putnam and Mr. Charles
Heyl. Mrs. L. E. Fr»nck is superin
tendent of Sunday school of fifty pu
The first 1» ssons taught in the pri
mary classes are that God is good and
ev. r present; that the fruits of the
spirit are love, joy, peace, gentleness
and faith, and that these must
triumph over their opposites in order
to dem nstrate Christian Science.
A Per the Commandments and Be
atitude* are learned, the lessons are
taken from the Quarterly.
In connection with this church is
a Reading Room, where inquiries are
always welcome. Christian Science
literature is oa the table and a prac
titioner is always in attendance.
UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
Something more than a year ago a
United Presbyterian Miaaon waa or
ganized over in Lincoln Park school
house with Rev.J.T. Wilson in charge.
On last July Rev. Wilson withdrew
sad Rev. S. R. Mcl-aughlin was ap
pointed by Colorado Presbytery to
take up the work. They immediately
rented the Adrentist church on K.
Main street, where they hare been
holding service each Sabbath.
Last January the mission was or
ganized into a full fledged congrega
tion, with Messrs. L. 0. Miller, J. A.
Kirkton, J. M. Cunningham and F. J.
Moyle as elders: and Messrs. F. C.
Wright, R. T. Adnerson and Milo Du
Pee as board of trustees.
They have an interesting Sabbath
school with Mr. Joo. McWilliams as
the efficient superintendent. Also
a L. M. S„ with Mrs. S. R. MoLaugh
tin, president; Mrs. S. W. Gleason,
rice president; Mrs. J. M. Cunnin
ham, recording secretary; Mrs. F. C.
Wright, corresponding secretary; and
Mrs. F. J. Moyle, treasurer.
The young people have been or
ganized into a Christian Union society
with forty-four members, and Mr. L.
0. Miller president.
They contemplate erecting a ohurch
building this spring on their lots on
the oorner of Ninth and River streets.
The work goes forward with mnch
encouragement along all lines. The
church is rapidly growing in member
ship. When Rev. McLaughlin took
charge last July there wore eighteen
names on the roll, while today the
, membership numbers sisty-llve.
| The United Presbyterian church is
' the youngest mission la the city, but
by tbs arrival la Calloa during the
part year, of a number of this faith,
the church is now on s substantial
basis. Its members represent pros
perous people, strong in their faith,
so the congregation is bound to grow.
REV. S. R. MCLAUGHLIN
PASTOR UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Rev. McLaughlin was born in lowa
in 1860. He attended and graduated
from Washington Academy, than
from Monmouth College, 111., in 1883.
He went through Allagheney Theo
logical Seminary, graduating in 1886.
Began preaching at once. Served at
Elvira, lowa, seven and a half years,
at Rockv%lley, lowa, five years and
spent a year as pastor of the Presby
terian church at Socorro, New Mexico.
The climate had something to do with
bringing Rev. McLaughlin west. He
begun his pastorate here in July,
The Luthern people have a very
earnest little congregation. The
church was organized January 1899,
by Rev Buaard who has since been
They meet in one of the rooms of
the Harrison block, which they have
fixed up into a very comfortable
church room. The trustees of the
church are, A. C. Jensen, 0. C. Lauck,
and Mrs. Buaard, There is in con
nection a very prosperous little Sun
day school under the direction of
0. C. Lauck superintendent. The
Christian Endeavor is growing,
and doing some good work. Its
president is A. C. Jensen. The mem
bers of this congregation are not so
numerous as some others, but they
are just as earnest, and hard working
in their church any congreg
ation in America.
YOU NO *ENS CHRISTIAN ASSOCIA
In the fall of 1892, Mr D. C. Chap
man was sent to Canon City, from
Denver.by the state committee of the
Young Men's Christian Association.
As a result of his work, and the
work of Mr. C. J. Fredrickson, the
association was organized Sept., 15,
1892, with Mr. Fredrickson president
of the Board of Directors, and Mr.
Chapman as Ceoeral Secretary, and
fifty charter members. The rooms
now occupied, with the exception of
the gymnasium, hare been the borne
of the association from the first.
D. C. Chapman remained secretary
until in 1894. In 1894 Mr J. W.
Rogers was elected president of the
association, which position he still
holds, and C. J. Fredrickson was ele
cted general secretary, and retained
bis position four years.
During Mr. Fredrickson's secretary
ship, the gymnasium, 38X44 feet was
bnilt and well equipped with appara
tis. Mr. E. F. Hall served as physi
cal director, during the year of 1895
and 1896, and Mr. C. W. Hardy, in
1896 and 97.
Mr. C. W. Hardy became general
secretary in 1897, and was succeeded
in March 1900 by Mr. Bevan Binford.
Mr. K. W. Amick has filled the office
of physical dit ecter daring the past
The lines of work carried on for
young men are physical, educational,
religions and social. The gymnasium
class work is continued five months
during the winter season, out-door
games and outings, and individual
work in the gymnasium, comprise the
physical work daring the summer,
one tub and two shower baths are for
the use of members.
The educational work, has been
accomplished through the reading
room, practical talks and Y. M. 0. A.,
congress. In the reading room are
ten of the leading monthly magazines
fifteen weekly periodicals, twelve
daily and weekly sews pa per*, repre
senting the leading towns of Colo
rado, and the east besides many news
bulletins from other associations. Ia
the library are 225 well selected vol
Dark* the wtater months aaaa
sociation congre—, composed of
twenty members met bi-weekly.
Arrangements have been almost com
pleted for a series of Friday evening
talks to be given during the spring
and summer, by the leading business
and professional m* n of (lanon.
The religious work centers about
the gospel meeting, held each Sun
day afternoon, at four o’clock. These
are popular;/ nr tended by men of all
classes. Ah auxdaries to this work
a free social religious service is h*!d
in the gymna/dum «ach Thursda
evening t 7:30, and a workers train
ing class composed of seven young
men, meets in the committee room on
The social features are a quarterly
members meeting, in the rooms for
reports of the association. Work and
a social evening among the members
and occasional Junior rallies and
banquets, ibe social committee seeks
to maintain an attractive social at
mosphere in the rooms in the even
ings, at which time only senior mem
bers are admitted.
The games of chess, checkers, and
carrums and crokanole are always at
The association has one hundred
and sixty members.
Its annual expenses are two thous
ST. MICHABL,*3 CHURCH.
Sooi after the arrival of the first
go’d-aeekers, there were already a
few Catholics in thia section of Colo
rado. Up to the year of 1883 their
apiritnal wanta where attended to at
irregular intervals Uy missionary
The ohorah was organised in the
year of 1883, by Father Carmody.
who in the same year established his
residence here. The first building
used for religions services was a
dwelling on Main street, on the pro
perty now owned by George Baker.
In 1890 the Her. Henry Egler, of
happy memory began the building of
the present modest, bat bsaatifal
church structure at the corner of
Macon and 9th St. Through the
energetic work of thia prisat the con
gregation had the aatisfaction to see
its church completed and dedicated
on the sth, of October 1891.
At present the church is under the
Benedictine Fathers of Pennsylvania.
Although the church oould never
boast of a great membership, it has
always held its own, numbering now
twenty-four families. Services are
held every Sunday morning and even
ing. The choir is ably conductec by
the laser sisters. The priest in
charge at present is Father P. Mar
cellos, 0. S. B.
Thii Raster review of tho religion*
influence of Cafion City would not|be
complete without u mention of the
Mount Bt. Scholastic*'* Academy.
This is a religious educational institu
tion of more than local note, and it*
buildings are some of the most pro
minent in the city.
The Benedictine Sisters of Chicago,
coming here in 1890, purchased of
.lodge Macon the old Baptist Military
Academy, and opened a boarding
school for young ladies. For three
years the academy flourished. The
destruction of the building, and the
difficulties attending th* erection of
another, are well known to the public.
In January 1897, Mt. St Scholas
tica's re-opened ia the present build
ing, a atructure 72 by 62 feet pos
sessing all the modern improvements
To the north, some feet from
he school, is a memorial chapeL th*
gift of Rugene O’Reilly, of Chicago.
This is the most beautiful little
chape) in the state.
The front porch, recently added to
main building, ia a magnificent dona
tion of P. J. McCormack, of Guffey.
A neat little oottage for th* Rev
erend Chaplain has just been com
pleted in th* eouthern part of th*
Th* grounds consist of lawn*
promenades, croquet and tonal*
The present number of resident
students is 57, and consists of young
ladies from all parts of Colorado, also
a few from more eastern states.
Owing to the schools crowded con
dition since February Ist., the sisters
have been refusing admission to all
applicants, and only a few day pupils
have been accepted this school year.
Because of the many applications
for next year, a new building 96 by
74 feet, will be completed before
The new building will be similar in
style, and much larger tliaa the pre
sent structure. It will be built on the
west side of the present main build
This will contain, principally, re
creation, study and entertainment
halls, class rooms, dormitories and
studio. The library, reception rooms
refectories and music rooms alone, to
remain in the old building.
Mount St. Scholastica's Academy
has for its object the Christian edu
cation of young ladies.
It is a self supporting Institution,
still, each year it receives a fixed
number of children who attend
At present there are eighteen
sisters engaged at the academy.
Th‘s institution certainly has a good
mission, and full fills it well. It
has prospered and is growing
FIRST CHRISTIAN CHURCH.
The Christian Church was organised
May 9th 1888; with twenty nine
charter members, only four of whom
are now members of the congregation.
Rev. Meevers was the organizer, and
the first pastor. He was succeeded
by Rev. J. C. Willis, The church
building on the corner of Harrison
Avenue, and Sixth St. was built in
Rev. Leonard G. Thompson, now
state evangelist for the Christian
church, was pastor most of the time
from 1891 to April 1896, and to him
much credit is due for the building up
of this congregation here. Follow*
ing him as pastors, have been. Rev.
Cross, Rev. P. J. Dickerson and Rev.
D. W. Conner the present pastor.
The elders of the church at present
are; Rev. Conner, W. F. Howes, J. H.
Thomas, and Geo. R. Crosby. The
deacons are; H. F. Cramer, J. P.
Stultz and W. H. Laizure. The Sun
day school is alive and prosperous.
W. F. Howes is superintendent and
Geo. Whipple secretary.
FREE METHODIST CHURCH.
The Free Methodist people have a
rery prosperous congregation in South
Canon. The church building is on
South Prospect up near the smelter
hill. This organization has been do
ing business in South Canon for sev
There are twenty-nine members of
the society. They have a well or
ganised Sunday school with good at
tendance. Isaac Hmby is superin
tendent of the Sunday school. Mrs.
R. Reser, Mrs. Peter Anderson and
Mrs. Green are stewards of the
ckureb. Rev. C. B. Langdon, a Hard
working and painstaking gentleman,
is pastor of the church. A revival is
now in progress which is having good
The Salvation Army has been in
Oafioa City tor the past eight or nine
Their motire and desire is to get
the non-church going people, and in
order to accomplish this, yon see
them nightly on the street corner,
holding meetings in the open-air be
fore their meeting commences in their
They sing lively songs, potting re
tigtam words to all the popelar tones
and by their peculiar way, in beating
drums and tambourines and etc., they
are successful in attracting]the kind
of people they wish.
Among their ranks today are sever
al! who have been converted, from
lives of sin, drink and debauchery,
through their efforts, who had, pre
vious to their conversiod, not been in
side ef any other Christian organ
zation for years. They are now good
citizens, having been saved for a num
ber of years.
The officers of the Salvation army
change every four to six months,
sometimes they are men, sometimes
women, and occaainally a »■<< his
wife are in charge,
The Salvation Army is thoroughly
organized, they having a treasurer,
secretary, and local officers, of diffe
rent kinds to fill different places.
They maintain themselves by tak
ing a volentary contribution at every
meeting, the soldiers doing all they
can to support the work.
The officers give their whole time
to the work, and are supported by the
people, no salary gauranteed them
by the salvation army, but the sol
diers work daily, the same as any one
else, and thus support themselves and
At present two women are station
ed in Canon City, Captain Gregory
and Cadet McDow.
The work seems to be progressing,
i and people are converted every wee*.
Easy to Use
LARGE OR SMALL LOTS
NEW WALL PAPER
NEW ROOM MOULDING
506 Ha in Street.
JUST BELOW P. O.
xml | txt