Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The daily Evansville journal. (Evansville, Ind.) 1862-1863
Evansville, Ind. (1862-1863)
- The daily Evansville journal. : (Evansville, Ind.) 1862-1863
- Place of publication:
- Evansville, Ind.
- Geographic coverage:
- Evansville Journal Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 14, no. 200 (May 21, 1862)-v. 15, no. 297 (Sept. 19, 1863).
- Daily (except Sunday)
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- sn 86059058
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Evansville Journal, The Evansville Daily Journal, The Daily Evansville Journal, The Weekly Evansville Journal, Evansville Weekly Journal, Tri-weekly Journal
The Evansville Daily Journal was established in 1834 by William Town but did not appear as a daily until 1848, a year after Evansville officially became a city of Indiana. Town had relocated to Evansville from the East and worked as both a grammar school teacher and printer. In March 1834, he disseminated the first issue of the Evansville Journal and General Advertiser, which was a pro-Whig (later Republican) paper. Town remained the newspaper's owner until his death in 1839.
William H. and John J. Chandler became the joint owners and editors of the paper in 1839. Under their management, the title was eventually shortened to the Evansville Journal. A year later, John left the paper and his brother William became the sole owner. William Chandler debuted the Evansville Daily Journal in 1848.
In 1848, Addison H. Sanders purchased the Journal from William Chandler. Sanders focused on improving the city department portion of the newspaper. The expansion of the paper paralleled the economic growth of Evansville during the 1850s, when its population grew to 4,700 as newcomers were attracted to jobs with railroad firms, saw mills, and factories.
In October 1856, the Journal passed to Francis Y. Carlile. By April 30, 1858, Carlile had partnered with Indiana printers Frank M. Thayer and John Henderson McNeely to form the Evansville Journal Company (later Evansville Journal-News Company). Among the improvements the new proprietors made to the newspaper office was the installation of a steam engine and power press.
Carlile left the Journal in November 1859, selling his interests to James H. McNeely. By 1860, Evansville was the third largest city in Indiana behind Indianapolis and New Albany with a population of 11,484. Under the leadership of Thayer and the McNeely brothers, the Journal advocated for the Union side during the Civil War. A former city editor at the Journal during the 1880s characterized the paper as "a power in the republican party of the state" that supported the elections of several Republican politicians including Senator Charles Warren Fairbanks and President Benjamin Harrison.
The McNeely brothers became the joint proprietors and editors of the Journal in March 1885. During the McNeelys' management of the Evansville Journal-News Company the circulation of the Journal grew to 9,844 for 8-page dailies and 16-page Sunday issues by 1900. That was more than for the Evansville Courier, the Journal's pro-Democratic competitor, which had a circulation of 8,555 for the daily (10-20 pages) and the Sunday (24-36 pages) edition. By 1920, the Evansville Journal had a circulation of 15,765 for week days and 12,232 for Sunday issues. The Evansville Courier surpassed the Journal that year with a circulation of 23,893 for daily and 20,978 for Sunday issues.
In 1923, the McNeelys sold the Journal to the Evansville Courier Company. The Courier published its Sunday edition together with the Evansville Journal as the Sunday Courier and Journal beginning on June 24, 1923. The Evansville Courier Company suspended production of the Evansville Journal in November 1936.
Provided by: Indiana State Library